Mark Wiedmer: It's time for Hart to talk about plan for UT football

UT head coach Derek Dooley, center, shakes hands with UT athletics director Dave Hartbefore the start of the game against Missouri at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

It's time for University of Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart to show the public why he's being paid $775,000 a year.

It's time for Hart to make a public statement about his Big Orange football program.

This isn't to say Hart shouldn't fire Volunteers football coach Derek Dooley today, if not sooner. Hart should do what he wants with Dooley.

But with multiple unnamed sources telling this newspaper and others on Sunday that Dooley's gone, Hart either needs to confirm those rumors, deny them or issue the generic non-denial denial: "As with all our coaches, I'll sit down with Coach Dooley at the end of the season and evaluate his performance."

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

NeedForSpeed writes:

As was said on another forum, get this clown Hart and Cheek too completely removed from the process. These were the same incompetent nits that offered and approved this current coach. A coach who was a unworthy loser before he came to UT and is still one. They are ultimately responsible for this hiring and the ridiculous contract he enjoys at our expense.

ashvol7 writes:

If in fact this happens please, please send Hart with Dooley and his crew (Sal). Graham does not deserve this. Hart, Dooley, and Sal some of the worst hires in UT history, (Kiffin) along with them. It will take sometime for the fan base to get past this. I am still all Vol, but I gave up my season tickets this year that I had for thirty years, I live out of state and got tired of spending the money on sub par football.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Hart said he would speak about after the soccer game I mean the Kentucky game and not before. The man is real busy looking for another job.

laraccoon writes:

i heard on the news this morning the buyouts for these coaches will be around 7 million and for what they have produced that is pitaful. How Jimmy Cheek could oversee this and still have a job is beyond me .

KFDLaw writes:

Maybe Hart should be replaced by Phil Fulmer. At least we would have a UT alumnus running the front office, instead of an Alabama man.

govols082859#1369959 writes:

Head coach: one more year
Defensive cord: gone

GreeneVol writes:

Cheek heat, yes. Hart not so much; he didn't hire Dooley. We'll see what Mr. Hart can do for us now though.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Welp typical wiedmer. Typical media trying to fire coaches or incite fans. Hart needs to sit quietly. It's not about him and it's not about Dooley. It's definitely not about Wiedmer and the gossip columnists out there. It's about the players and UT fans. We need a win against Vandy. Yes we needed to beat Missouri. AND even though I believe they lucked up on us I also believe they wanted it more than Sunseri's defense.

TommyJack writes:

NOW. for the good of the program.

arkyvol writes:

the player said "...(they) wanted to go 7-5"? i'll concede that for a dooley coached team, that would be tall cotton, but i never thought i'd hear it as a tennessee team goal.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

One more year, if not, Joker Phillips is available!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Don't have much faith Hart can lead a successful coach search..He hasn't had to in football in over 20 years but the control freak in him maybe enough to give him the power and screw the whole thing up..When they announce Dooley's firing doesn't really matter..Dooley will coach out the season and than it's over..As far as the next coach, it's hard to say.Iam sure Strong is in play but he's a bit overrated..I live in Miami and Iam sure they are looking at Golden..Golden has done okay considering half the team are freshman..A lot of Golden's success is due to the tons of talent in South Fla and Fla in general..At the top of my list would be The TCU coach and NFL DC Jack DelRio would be great hire. I would not rule out Jimbo Fischer, who despite doing a great job is at odds with FSU admin tight wads and is none to happy..For those worried about Petrino it ain't gonna happen ,nor should it..Just my 2 cents

pcorange writes:

Wiedmer is correct. He said nothing in his article about wanting the coach fired. He said Hart needed to do whatever he wants to with Dooley, but that he needs to come out and put the rumor mill to rest one way or the other. He's right. Either he needs to back Dooley, fire him, or just tell the media and fans to shut up and wait. Either way, he needs to quell the rumors.

BolivrBob writes:

It's being reported on every news sports board in the country. Need to say something today. Announce that Petrino is coming to give our skilled players incentive to stay, although, now I've heard that CP is not even attending class and wouldn't even be eligible for a bowl game. We need to keep Tyler and Justin if we can. A year with Petrino would improve their draft stock a lot, Course it's already pretty high for both of them IMO. Need to do something today!!!! Petrino has also had a knack of signing good running backs.

Volalumnus writes:

HCs come and go.
ADs come and go.
Even Chancellors and Presidendents come and go.
Fan bases not so much,...but if they do it is hard to get them back and it is hard to rebuild a program without a fan base.
It has been past time for Dooley to go and if the AD forces the fanbase to support Dooley in order to support the program.....well just look at attendance and think about all that officially licensed merchandise still sitting in the stores....

Tru138 writes:

Still no news, eh?

JDX47 writes:

in response to NeedForSpeed:

Hart didn't hire Dooley...but you can substitute your comments for Sunseri as he did hire him.

CCLC writes:

Here is an interesting stat. In 2008 guess who finished the season as the number one Defense in the SEC? According to cfbstats----->

Currently UT is number 14 in the SEC in D.
With Vandy and Kentucky left of the schedule how likely is it that UT splits these two games and goes 5-7 in 2012.
Two 5-7 seasons in 5 years one with the #1 ranked D and the other with the #14 ranked D. Makes you wonder.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to govols082859#1369959:

Head coach: one more year
Defensive cord: gone

equal Neyland abandon

tensie2004 writes:

Strike the "iron" while it is hot. Quit putting off what everyone knows has to be done. Make the announcement today and can still let Dooley finish out the season. Start looking for a new coach TODAY!! Iam greatly surprised that there are still posters like "remember when" that thinks its ok and will not affect us in a negative way if we wait until the end of the season to get rid of Dooley. Just don't understand it. The Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and many many smaller newspapers are all calling for Dooley's head today, does Hart and Cheek have their heads up their butts and think this will just go away. Now is the time for action, not tomorrow.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Wiedmer wrote this strictly for a negative fan response period. He has no interest in UT other than the negatives. sorta like pcoranges posts.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CCLC:

Currently UT is number 14 in the SEC in D.

Wonder what? We were 1st then and 14th now. It's black and white.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Sit quietly Hart. Don't fall for the gossip mongering.

SandySpringsVol writes:

Hart is likely doing plenty of talking -- to the university administration and board of trustees. That's exactly who he should be talking to and not playing this out in the press like, say Mike Hamilton.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tensie2004:

hmmm another new handle? it's sorta odd that almost any new handle is 99% negative. I'd say 100% but who knows?

I'll give the gossipers their negatives. They're there on defense. We have lost 5 games and will maybe lose 1-2 more. maybe.
These posters have been negative a long time and would be negative if we'd only lost one game this year. Which by the way I can only recall one game that we didn't have a chance to win or extend a lead in to win. This has been a really weird year on defense. We've had some odd misses for TDs as well.

6972 writes:

Hart's press release,"I plan to develop a plan so that when the plan is planned out througly, the plan is planned well. Otherwise it would not be well planned, and then I would have to plan another plan."

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Exactly. It was completely embarrassing being openly rejected by Kyle Whittingham, Troy Calhoun, Muschamp and Cutcliffe. Hart and the Boosters are gonna handle this thing behind closed doors.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Hart hasnt said anything because the powers that be havent given him anything to say. Hart will be left out of the hiring process. The hiring will be left up to the major contributors and Hart will be informed of their decision.

Personally I think Tommy Tubberville would be a great choice. If Big John turns it down.

GO VOLS!!!

OwensboroVol writes:

You do have to love these players. They continue to come out and play hard. I don't know how many bad things they can recover from. If they can beat Vandy and Kentucky it would be a nice reward for really working their rears off. And they have. The Offensive line made such an improvement this year as did the running backs. The defense has some talent over there, I just don't understand why they are doing so badly.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

There is no sense in debating whether Dooley will be or won't be, should be or shouldn't be fired. Now we have another problem. Everyone knows he is getting fired, but it isn't official. Our Athletic Department already looks pretty inept, with horrid hires, power struggles, lawsuits, etc. it is time to have a Professionally run organization. Who will want to work for an organization in chaos? Even Barnhart's cowardly media release was more ballsy than this.

There should NEVER be this much indecision. Hart needs to speak today. Just fire him now effective after KY. If this is about trying to qualify for a bowl, that's dumb. Focus on 2013.

pcorange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

So, I guess as a life-long Volunteers fan, I have no right to my opinion? I can assure you I have just as much interest in UT as you do. At least I give a damn whether we win or lose. If you think that's being negative, so be it.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Wiedmer is a life-long Kentucky fan, and he hates Tennessee. He enjoys the turmoil at Knoxville and enjoys writing four smarmy columns per week slamming the Vols. I don't read his drivel.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Haven't you heard? Jon Gruden is coming to town, if not Gruden then definitely Bill Cowher. Good post and I agree, the last coaching search was an embarrassment to the school. Fans need to remember this, we may get rid of Dooley and replace him with someone just as bad. UT could be looking at hiring an obscure coach, paying Dooley not to coach, and losing Hunter, Bray, and Patterson to the NFL.

pcorange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Furthermore, I have only ever had one "handle" on here, as you call it in your 1970s CB radio talk. 'pcorange' is all I have ever been on this site. I have no interest in changing names on here to incite you or anyone else. 'pc' is in reference to the county in Tennessee in which I live, and 'orange' is in reference to my favorite color, Tennessee orange. One more thing, I feel like those of you who think Dooley ought to be given more time are being pretty negative to the overall health of Tennessee football. So, please, let's debate the merits without the personal attacks against one another.

CCLC writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Wonder what? We were 1st then and 14th now. It's black and white.

Go back and look. History shows you that the number 1 or 2 D in the SEC ends in an SEC Championship ring or a least a shot at it. I thought it was unusual to finish the season unranked and next to last in the SEC with a number one ranked defense.

JDX47 writes:

Hot off the presses...after a week fixing the defense, Dooley is now going to spend this week working on forming the hand signal that allows one to call timeouts when you have time to win a game and have 2 timeouts available.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Huh? You're assuming a lot here. Look up the term "fan".
I never said you didn't have a right to be wrong. Just like you assume I'm supposed to be quiet and play along.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CCLC:

I could have told you rankings don't matter...and said it without the drama.lol

punkin writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Sit quietly Hart. Don't fall for the gossip mongering.

Thanks for a voice of reason in this sea of do-do.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Frankly, I could care less when Wiedmer believes that someone should talk to the media - who cares what the media thinks??

It's funny how these guys in the media stand on the sidelines and make demands of the 'doers' - so that they'll have something to write about and talk about....

Moesart writes:

Whatever the buyout on Dooley is, UT will be probably be losing close to that much at every home game now from fans staying away.

tensie2004 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Having a chance to win and winning are two different things. How many SEC games has Dooley won in three years. How many top 25 teams has he beat in three years? You know the answer. 1) four(ole miss.,vandy, and kentucky) outside of ourself the worst teams in the SEC 2)none. Has or program improved in the last three years since Dooley took over. I think not. If you take Hunter, Bray, and Patterson off our team, we would not have won a single game this year. Now how is that for being fair. No Iam not a new handle, just don't post very often but this circus with Dooley has went on for too long. He should have been given his walking papers after the Kentucky game last year regardless of what it cost us. Posters probably like you were saying "lets give Dooley another year to prove himself, two years is not enough." Well, you got your extra year and what are the results. WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE SEC. A once proud and ranked football program at the bottom of the SEC. Makes me sick. I have been and still am a loyal Vols fan. Have been following the Vols since the late 50's. Don't have much time left and would like to see us return to our glory days. Just winning a SEC game would help!!! Are we truly any better off today that we were last year after the Kentucky game. Again, I think not but you can debate it with someone else. Maybe Lane Kiffin or Mike Hamilton.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

in response to pcorange:

I think it would be in the best interest of the university we love to stick together through this. Dooley is gone; he should be. It is time to hear from Hart. This is your job Hart to let the people who care know what is happening. My guess is they're trying to decide the termination plan.

pcorange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Huh? You're assuming a lot here. Look up the term "fan".

I never said you're supposed to be quiet and play along. I've never said anything to or about you personally on this board. You called me out in your post above, and I responded. I respect your opinion, and you have every right in the world to make it known. I even agreed with your position until the Kentucky game last year, which was further solidified after the Florida game this year. I have absolutely nothing against Coach Dooley other than the fact that he isn't winning and I don't think he will be able to consistently do so. Other than that, I think he's a great guy who has done a lot of good off the field. Might make a great AD.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to pcorange:

You're taking a disagreement with you as an attack. I'm not intending an attack even if I call you a troll. We Don't need to change coaches for the exact same reasons I've stated all season. I'll not repeat those as you already know them. Again look up the word "Fan".

tensie2004 writes:

in response to Big_Orange_Aide:

I agree with you. I for one get no pleasure arguing with what I consider my Vol brothers but in todays tech. age you sometimes don't know who is a friend or an enemy. Yes we need to stick together for what is best for our University and football team. I love them both.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Enhtusiastic DEVOTEE follower or ADMIRER of a sport, pastime, celebrity

While it can be used for a negative I would think most people mean the term fan as the positive admire or follower.

For example I am npt a fan of Kentucky. Therefore I don't post on their site. I'm not correcting your usage of the term fan as I am explaining my own use. While I'm not particularly a fan of Dooley I respect him because he's the coach of my favorite team in Div 1A. I don't have to agree with all he does. I don't even have to like him but to constantly barrage anyone the way many have on here is abhorrent.

pcorange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Fan, as defined by Merriam-Webster:

1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator

2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) <science-fiction fans>

I am an enthusiastic devotee of UT athletics, as I know you are as well. I love UT sports, and all I want is to see our football team become relevant again. This will be my last post regarding our little disagreement here. I apologize if I took you wrong, but I am certainly not the only fan on this site calling for a change, and I am definitely not a "troll". Have a great day, and Go Big Orange!

JDX47 writes:

in response to JDX47:

In an update to this post, I heard from several unnamed sources that Dooley is trying ban "snowbirding" on 3rd / 4th downs so teams can no longer throw over the top of our secondary for easy scores.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tensie2004:

I'll re-post you on the chance you're a fan of UT and believe all this junk many have said since before the day Dooley stepped on the campus.

There has been gossip and slander in this type of blog off and on since blogs first began.

I'm NOT against anyone. I KNOW everyone has a right to their opinion and voice period. I most definitely disagree with the non-support for our coaches on this site and elsewhere. At least by people who call themselves fans. Fine if Hart decides to hire a new coach. But it won't change the fact that Dooley's been blasted on this site since before anyone should have done it. When should anyone ever blast people like this. Banter's one thing but the posts against Dooley mostly have been venomous
I'm sorry if I don't always remember who the ones were who stated it. But the venom on here at times makes me want to give up being a real fan. A real devotee. A real fanatic about sports. To treat Dooley like he's trash is wrong period. Maybe people don't mean their words as harsh as they sound. It's possible. I've never been a "fan" of mistreating anyone in the news. However we sort of ask for it on a blog site.