Tennessee QB Tyler Bray uninterested in recent hot streak, NFL talk

Losses have soured stretch for QB

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray passes the ball against Troy during their game Nov. 3 in Neyland Stadium. Tennessee won 55-48. (Michael Patrick/News Sentinel)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Coach Dooley on QB Tyler Bray's improvement

Do you think UT has made its decision to fire coach Derek Dooley?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Knoxville, TN - quarterback Tyler Bray #8 of the Tennessee Volunteers during photo media day. Photo By Donald Page/Tennessee Athletics

Photo by Donald Page /Tennessee Athletics

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray is playing the best football of his career, but he's not in a particularly celebratory mood.

In UT's last three games, Bray has completed 93 of 144 passes (65 percent) for 1,302 yards, 13 touchdowns and only one interception — a last-gasp pass at South Carolina.

Certainly, Bray must be elated with the results?

"We haven't gone 3-0," Bray said with stone-face.

The Vols, in fact, have gone 1-2 (and very nearly 0-3) during Bray's hot streak against the Gamecocks, Troy and Missouri, underscoring the inadequacy of a one-man solution to Tennessee's woes.

The Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) play at Vanderbilt (6-4, 4-3) on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 7 p.m.)

Bray's numbers are particularly impressive when compared with the three-game stretch that preceded it. During that stretch, which included losses to Georgia, Mississippi State and Alabama, Bray threw four touchdowns and six

interceptions and passes for only 613 yards.

Coach Derek Dooley even publicly contemplated benching Bray if he didn't stop being so "loose with the football."

Three weeks later, things have changed, and Bray's improved play has revived discussion about whether he plans to leave after his junior season for the NFL draft.

Projections for Bray vary wildly, with some seeing him as an early pick and others seeing him as a late-round project.

"I couldn't care less," Bray said of his possible NFL future. "That's what you guys are paid to write about and talk about."

Bray said his progress has been years in the making. At a gangly 6-foot-6, Bray sometimes looked and felt awkward in the pocket earlier in his career. He said steady practice on footwork has helped.

"A lot of the throws I've not made have been because of my footwork," Bray said. "I can't say that I've improved that much, but I've grown into my body a little more. I've become more athletic, which sounds crazy, but I have."

Receiver Justin Hunter said he's seen Bray grow throughout the season.

"I think our chemistry is there," Hunter said. "He's out there practicing really good and it shows on the field. I think he's a lot calmer than he was at the beginning of the season."

Bray has previously griped that no matter what he says, it's twisted or criticized. On the field, he's ripped for his body language — sometimes appearing not to care, other times appearing too angry. When he skipped a media session after a bad game, he was criticized. When he joked after a loss, he also took heat.

Tuesday's interview session only seemed to prove his point. During friendly banter with a reporter, Bray said, "I'm paid to win games." The quote, devoid of context, became viral on the Internet and was roundly mocked.

As for his body language, Dooley said he's never felt that Bray was trying to be disrespectful or "show up" the coaching staff. In fact, both Dooley and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney have ardently defended Bray's passion for the game.

"(Bray) would go for it if it was fourth-and-15 on the minus-10," Dooley said. "He just wants to go score points ... It's not adversarial. He's not showing up the coaches, but he would like to call plays."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RaineyVol writes:

Just play and shut up.

jobrando#216494 writes:

please just end the nightmare and bring football back to tennessee

dannasman writes:

Misses WAY to many balls in the clutch! Not Impressed!

OLROCKYTOP writes:

What I have read on Bray's draft status is if he declares for 2013 draft he is a late first round to middle second round pick, although he is listed as the top quarterback prospect for the 2014 draft.

rockypop writes:

And, according to Bray, he's paid to win football games.

tenndave writes:

I have to give them this credit and Dooley has been a big part of it. We have some solid recruits and one of the post potent offensive team in our history. Unfortunately defense wins games and right now we are awful.
If Dooley is replaced has anyone mentioned Chief as one of the candidates.

jack4444 writes:

What would be so wrong with letting Bray call some plays in the right situations? He's closest to the game, has experience and probably wouldn't be conservative. A simple signal within a certain context, let him do it.

pcorange writes:

While a poor choice of words, I have to take up for Bray on the "pay for wins" comment. He immediately clarified his statement that he was talking about his scholarship. As a 20 year old in the spotlight, it is understandable that his mouth engages before his mind does sometimes. It's not the end of the world, although I'm sure the press and our opponents will get as much mileage out of it as possible. Hang in there, Tyler. You are one of the few bright spots on this season. Go Big Orange!

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

I appreciate your effort Tyler. Keep on, keepin on.

orange_eVOLution writes:

I think Bray has grown in maturity and leadership the last few games. One more year in college and he will be there. I see an amazing senior year coming if he keeps working like he has been lately. A coaching change should not affect this because we are going to hire a staff that will continue to make him even better.

Go Bray!!

GO VOLS!!

born2ride writes:

Bray, Hunter and Patterson are all gone. They won't stick around for a new coach.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to born2ride:

Not so fast my friend...

killervol69 writes:

Tyler Bray, I commend you on a job well done so far, given what you've had to work with coach-wise. Someone posted on an earlier comment (different story) that " the coaches have nothing to lose, and certainly nothing to gain, so why not let Bray make his own calls versus Vandy"; I wholeheartedly agree, let's let Tylo win this interstate rivalry Saturday!! Go Vols!!

govols0463 writes:

in response to born2ride:

And the thing that people seem to forget, is that in addition to Bray (who'll leave because he's tired of it all), Hunter (who don't want to get hurt again), and Patterson (who's not attending class he's so sure he's leaving), that draft analyst are saying Juwann James will be a late first rounder or early second rounder if he comes out. Dallas Thomas (Sr.) will be gone and may make the All American team. Michael Rivera graduates, and don't forget Zach Rogers. He graduates too. The cupboard will definitely be thinner for the new guy. Reminds us all of just how poorly coached this team is. We arguably have the best wideouts in the nation, and certainly one of the top 5 QB's and many say THE best offensive line, as well as TE, and we can't win a conference game. It's an absolute travesty.

jamalamerican31 writes:

I have waited to see it for a bit longer than I expected, but Mr. Bray has grown up! We become involved with these guys that give their all for Tennessee. Some of them come in grown up, some of them come in thinking they are grown up and some of them make mistakes to figure it out. Tyler Bray just showed me that he figured it out. I hope that he stays with our program for one more year reguardless of what happens with the coaching staff. He has become a huge positive young adult in a negative mature adult world.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to govols0463:

Perhaps you should think before you post.

Does it really make sense to list a bunch of talented players, most bound for the NFL, and ALL on the offense, and say that because we aren't winning games that proves poor coaching? Remember, the offense those guys all play on is setting new records almost every week! Those offensive linemen are part of an O-line that is called the best, or one of the best, in the country! That QB has broken a number of all-time UT records, and is fast approaching the all-time single-season yardage record held by Peyton Manning!

They're averaging about 500 yards and 38 points per game! And they're doing it against many of the best defenses in the country! They single-handedly caused Missouri's defense to go from #22 in the country to #35!

List all the players on the defense who'll be playing on Sunday next year, then you'll have a point.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to jack4444:

The one play I would have paid extra to see Bray call: Hold his hands in the shape of a "T" in the face of an official with 43 seconds remaining in regulation of the UT-Mizzou game.

I know. That would have taken huge ones, but think about it. Dooley would have been forced to let the offense try to win the game, and he couldn't allow anybody to know that he was going to let time run out and the players rebelled.

It would have been a Hollywood ending. The Vols win in the last seconds with a heroic throw and catch -- Bray to Hunter/Rivera -- and the coach quietly goes to his office to pack his things, without speaking to anybody, or taking part in the victory celebration.

Wait. Is that Varsity Blues?

Still. Would've been sweet.

govols0463 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Perhaps you should think before you post.

My point exactly there Big Guy. Our defense is that poorly coached. You don't have to state the obvious for me there Buddy. I never said our offense was bad. I said the team is poorly coached. You know...timeouts on PAT's, too many men on the field, 82nd in the country in penalties due to lack of discipline, hiring a career position coach as a coordinator...I'll just stop right there. Don't tell me to think before I post. I've forgotten more about TN than you'll ever know. Sentimore, McCullers and Johnson are the only 3 that will ever play on Sundays on that defense. You wanna' know who recruited all of them over there? Well, it wasn't Neyland, Battle, Majors or Fulmer. It was Old Derek. They are grossly coached. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

govols0463 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Perhaps you should think before you post.

And if you'll take a class in reading comprehension, you'll see that I complemented ALL of the offensive positions, except tailback in my post. Sam Pittman gets credit for an outstanding offensive line.

govols0463 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Wait. Is that Varsity Blues?

Still. Would've been sweet.

Oh yeah, thanks. I forgot clock management. You're on a roll.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to govols0463:

Speaking of reading comprehension! Yes, you complemented almost everybody on the offensive side. The problem with your logic about coaching is that you showed how much talent is on the offense, and then said coaching is bad because of all the losses. You are clearly saying with all that talent they shouldn't be losing. The problem is that the offense has nothing to do with losing. The defense in the problem, but you can't make the leap to coaching being the problem there unless you can show that talent isn't the problem.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to govols0463:

"I've forgotten more about TN than you'll ever know. "

Hahaha! Your Alzheimers is irrelevant.

You don't know me. You don't know how much I know about TN. You sound like the guy bragging that he knows karate. You know what they say? Anybody who tells you they know karate, doesn't.

You probably have forgotten more about butt-chugging than I'll ever know.

BTW, I didn't prove your point, but you just proved mine. If there are only 3 guys with potential NFL (near)futures on the defense, then how can you say it's coaching? It could also be lack of talent and/or experience. Sure, it could be coaching, but you've said nothing to support that.

Please keep trying. You're kind of entertaining me tonight.

jamalamerican31 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

There is not doubt that we are all dumber from reading the back and forth with you two.

govols0463 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Read this very very slowly so that you get it. Our offense is very good (you doing okay so far?). We are 4-6. This means defense is very very bad. Any moron could win 7 or 8 games with an offense this good (still doing okay?). Poor decision making, discipline, defense and recruiting have us at 4-6, and that falls in the lap of the head coach. Atta boy! You made it. You read all the way through it! I gotta admit Dude. It's scarey that anyone has the time, let alone even knows how to see when people join this thing. Wow

govols0463 writes:

in response to jamalamerican31:

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm arguing with someone that can't read. Pretty stupid of me. I agree.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to OLROCKYTOP:

Honestly, if I'm Bray, I take the last first round. It's good money and being the top rated 2014 draft prospect is worth about as much as a dollar bill printed on toilet paper. A blown ACL. A messed up shoulder. A good concussion. And after the Jake Locker experiment, I doubt teams will be willing to spend first round money on a QB if Bray's production were to drop off without CP or JH.

Bray needs to take the money and get out.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to govols0463:

Well, when idiots I've never seen posting here before suddenly start responding to multiple comments I make. I just get curious, specially when they're implying I am not making sense. There is a fairly large population of screen names that all joined at the same time (5-7 June 2007) and then didn't say a word for years. Of course, you know that, don't you?

Pretty much everybody knows how to see when somebody joined. All you do is click on their screen name. The scary (that's the way it's spelled) thing is how incapable you are of understanding the flaw in your comment that started this whole thing.

Whatever. I don't have time to waste on the hopeless likes of you.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to govols0463:

Yeah. Trying to pull your head out of your arse now is a waste of time.

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

Keep the line coach and the running backs coach....start fresh with the rest. But we might not be above 500 next year no matter who comes in....considering our away games. Just reality.

KingDanno (Inactive) writes:

Stay another season you can improve draft position and win some real games w/o Dooley!!

utfan2121 writes:

I'm not all that critical of his body language. He's just being a competitor with a passion for the game. I would be doing the same thing.

Classof72 writes:

Thanks to T Bray for choosing Tennessee. It's been fun watching him grow up. He's a wonderful, gifted quarterback. Like Peyton, he'd benefit from another year in college ball, as one may get only one real shot in the pros, and must be as ready as possible.

With a decent defense, Bray and the offense would have competed for a championship.

Rock85 writes:

HOT STREAK..Have one against FL,GA SC and Bama.. Then talk about it.

Stumps writes:

what a puff piece. Thanks KNS for doing all you can to help Bray's reputation.

If Bray has anyone smart in his inner circle, he's being told to declare for the draft this year. His reputation is that he has an NFL arm and a high school brain. Any new coach is more likely to give Worely a shot. Of course, the irony is that Bray has been way under served by his head coach. Any 3-year college starter should be more mature and have a mind for working on game day, and this is Dooley's failure. But what can you expect from a head coach that displays a pouty temper in much the same way?

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to RaineyVol:

Just play and shut up.

Just SHUT UP and go home....DA

volinlm writes:

in response to Classof72:

Right on!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

in response to govols0463:

You really are clueless my friend when you say there's only 3 kids on our Defense that will play in the NFL after they finish at Tennessee.

Sentimore, McCullers, Couch, AJ Johnson, Maggitt, Randolph, McNeil and a few more just to name a few.

You ARE right about 1 thing though....We CAN thank Dooley because he brought every one of those kids to Tennessee.

I also think that when CDD is fired you'll see lots of our current players either leave for the NFL or transfer OUT of Tennessee in protest of CDD getting fired because the players actually love and respect CDD for all he's teaching them on the field and about becominng a real man.

Defense is bad because it takes 2 YEARS to learn everything about the 3-4 D even in the NFL where they practice 10 to 12 hours per day and they don't have classes, homework and lots of studying to do to keep their grades up to stay on the team.

I always LMAO at everyone always blaming the coaches because it IS the players that have to learn everything and then go on the field and execute the plays that the coordinators call.

We all know that players are always perfect and never make mistakes, LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!

JayTee writes:

I'll be glad when Bray and Dooley are both gone I'm tired of the Soap Opera.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

If we had a decent D we Woulda competed for ...

If CDD could coach his way out of a wet paper bag we Coulda...

So tired of all the ifs, buts, wouldas, couldas and shouldas after every SEC game and even the cupcake games the past 3 years.

CDD is a nice guy it appears, OK, the players like him - great. And they can all get on each other's Christmas card lists forever. Now let's sing Kumbayah after the last 2 games and all feel good about ourselves.

But CDD is snake bit when it comes to winning football games - or just plain incompetent.

So while CDD sings and gives tummy rubs so everyone feels good, will someone who has the ability and gonads in the hierarchy find us a proven football coach, one who has won before, not at pee wee league level, but big boys pants level?

And get him in here in time to save the recruiting this year?

laraccoon writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

We all know that players are always perfect and never make mistakes, LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!

i have a question for you on the defensive learning curve. Why did UT know what to do in the first half of the Missouri game but not in the second half ?

standfast#211788 writes:

Tyler appears to have finally learned to "throw it away - live for another day." This is a giant leap in the maturity of a QB. The next thing he must do is work on consistency. There is more to quarterbacking than piling up impressive statistics. It's all about what happens when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter, or in the case of last week, in overtime. Of course, it helps if his receivers are running good routes, not short-arming passes and not dropping sure TD passes. NFL scouts understand all this stuff. That is why it is imperative that he return for his senior season and continue to hone his skills and mental accuity. Peyton Manning was probably ready after his junior year, but came back for one more year. That was really smart in my opinion. If Tyler opts for the NFL this year, he will definitely get drafted because of his talent, but when he gets up there, he will struggle because he just doesn't have the level of maturity and consistency to compete at that level.

smokysbark writes:

in response to govols0463:

Right on all counts except one ... we aren't losing games because of the offense. If you score 40 points in a game you should feel comfortable that you can pull out a win. The offense isn't the problem.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Sal left the press box & was on the side line in the 2nd half could be part of it. The other reason is that Mo. made half time adjustments and as usual the Vols did not. You know all the other reasons.

GBO - Wait Till Year After Next

VOLSnTITANS writes:

My advice to Bray would be to return his senior year and announce this decision publicly ASAP. Bray would instantly gain credibility and the respect of most VOL fans but more importantly this would help lure in a big name head coach. Bray's NFL future would benefit tremendously from one more year of reading defenses, managing a game and the media, as well as improving his skill-set. Not to mention the accomplishment of earning his degree and 1 more year of maturity. Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone. Who knows, maybe that announcement could be the momentum we would need to win out this year, have Bray Hunter and Patterson all return next year, and for the love of God hire someone who can coach and recruit defensive players.

Ayres_Hall writes:

I hope Tyler Bray is gone. He's a menace.

Bray and Hunter will be busts in the NFL. Both are too soft. Cry babies. Drama Queens.

Rockytopfan96 writes:

in response to jack4444:

THANK YOU!!

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Perhaps you should think before you post.

It's just a shame that there are actually three phases to a football team and all are actually needed to win games.

9 out of the 11 starters from last Saturday on defense were Dooley recruits. Speaks to his recruiting ability that you feel none of those guys will be playing on Sundays.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

I hope Tyler Bray is gone. He's a menace.

Get past the disappointment of this disaster of a season and give those guys some credit.

The only drama from Bray this year has been some poor decisions at times on the field and his head coach throwing him under the bus publicly.

Hunter is coming off a major knee injury but has been getting stronger each week.

smokysbark writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

Exactly ... this offense is prolific and can score points with most any team in the country. Heck, if not for Bray and this offense, Dooley would definitely not still be head coach. Scoring 40 per game has put a bandaid on the severed limb, i.e., the defense.

martinvol34 writes:

in response to govols0463:

Which the offense has absolutely nothing to do with the losing and should be commended for their play except Alabama and Florida second half.