Daniel Hood says UT coach Derek Dooley is one of the most important people in his life

(MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tennessee defensive lineman Daniel Hood during the Vol Walk before their game with Alabama Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012 near Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Do you think UT has made its decision to fire coach Derek Dooley?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee's Nov. 12 practice

Junior defensive lineman Daniel Hood called Tennessee coach Derek Dooley “one of the best people that I’ve had around in my life” and also said Dooley was one of the most important people he has had in his life.

“As a player, it’s hard not to take it personal when people are attacking your coach,” Hood said. “It’s hard to separate the X’s and O’s from the actual person.”

Hood, a Knoxville Catholic graduate, said Dooley supported him this summer after the death of his mother.

“I wouldn’t be where I am today without someone like Coach Dooley,” Hood said.

Hood was one of the few players who acknowledged that the uncertainty about Dooley’s future could present a distraction.

“The thing Coach Dooley preaches all the time is you have to be able to put it away,” Hood said. “It’s a great lesson for us because we’re learning how to do things that a lot of people don’t get to — being able to put away distractions and still work through that adversity.”

***

Quarterback Tyler Bray said he believes that Dooley will be Tennessee’s coach for the last two games of the season, even if his future beyond that remains uncertain.

“We’re going to get these last two (games) for him,” Bray said.

Bray later clarified that he didn’t have any inside information but was merely speaking of his perception of the situation.

“I mean, you guys know as much as we do,” Bray said. “He’s here every day, so until he’s not here, I guess he’s the coach.”

***

Junior Jacques Smith will get first crack at replacing injured linebacker Curt Maggitt, who suffered a torn ACL last week against Missouri.

Smith started at Jack linebacker earlier in the year before Jordan Williams took over. Senior Willie Bohannon will provide backup at both positions.

“A lot of it depends on what package we’re in,” Dooley said. “We have Jacques, we have Jordan Williams, we have Willie Bo at outside linebacker, and then (Raiques) Crump gets in the mix a little bit. Between Jordan, Jacques and Willie, we kind of have three for two spots.”

Maggitt’s absence was noticeable late Saturday as the defense struggled to stop Missouri. Smith said he hopes a week of practice will make the transition seamless.

“When a brother falls down, we all have to pick it up for him,” Smith said. “We’re going to pick up the slack and, hopefully, there will be no difference.”

dubyson writes:

"Hi, I'm Phil Fulmer."...."Hi, I'm Mr. Chavis."...."Hi, I'm David Cutcliff."....."CAN WE COME BACK?!! WE PROMISE NOT TO HAVE 3 BAD YEARS!"

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I hope the players stay focused and Win these last 2 games.

VFL...GBO!!!

Biggie writes:

Big Dan! Keep playing hard man. You are a bright spot on the defense!

BeRealistic writes:

If Kiffin hadn't screwed us, we would now have a top 10 football program.

LovinMyVols writes:

Considering how pourous our defensive line has been against the run and how poor the pass rush is, maybe Hood shouldn't have said that Dooley is one of the most influential people in his life.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to BeRealistic:

If Kiffin hadn't screwed us, we would now have a top 10 football program.

Close. If Hamilton had gone after Brian Kelly instead of Fast Lane, the Vols would be a top 10 football program.

blazevol writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Kelly would still have left us for Notre Dame

wreck429 writes:

in response to blazevol:

Kelly would still have left us for Notre Dame

...and Kiffin would have us on probation

MurfVol77 writes:

in response to wreck429:

...and Kiffin would have us on probation

If all falls out the way it sits now, Kelly is gonna wish he was in the SEC...with an undefeated ND team on the outside looking in...

jbc writes:

I would likely keep Dooley another year.

However, if the opposite happens these guys would be on my list ...

Chris Petersen
Dave Doeren
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth
Guz Malzahn
Pete Lembo

And the litany of NFL names that rotate through

OrangePsyched writes:

Wow I thought that all the players hated CDD. That's what some folks have tried to sell. Coaching is usually a pretty close knit fraternity..I wander what other coaches think about all the name calling of Dooley here. I agree that we need a change but the name calling speaks more about the commentor than the coach. Someone brought up an interesting name..Sean Peyton since he is apparently available. Beat Vandy and watch Franklin go spastic especially if CDD gives that same speech afterward. Now everyone has to admit that would be funny.

sksimon#207586 (Inactive) writes:

I do not understand how everyone wants to fire Dooley. He has not had the same staff long enough to establish any sort of regularity. The team has had to adjust to different styles over the last three years. Fire Dooley and the whole staff goes and the team starts all over again with another adjustment for the players. Wait until the end of the year and see if they get a bowl bid.

bajoucityvol writes:

Forget about distractions. Just win young men!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to dubyson:

Not only no, but HeII No!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

this week is feeling like the Wyoming week. I don't expect good things to happen Sat.

Vandy 42
UT 35

pingkr62 writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

As I remember, Brian Kelly was offered the job, but turned it down well before CDD was hired.

pcorange writes:

in response to BeRealistic:

If Kiffin hadn't screwed us, we would now have a top 10 football program.

If Hamilton had fired Dave Clawson instead of Phillip Fulmer, we would have a top 5 football program right now. But, it is what it is.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Not trying to change the subject, but USA TODAY is blowing up Tyler Bray's "getting paid to win" comment. Good grief, does the bad publicity ever end.

pcorange writes:

in response to sksimon#207586:

And just who do you think is responsible for the staff? The buck stops at the head coach's desk. He ran Wilcox off because he didn't think the defense was aggressive enough. He effectively traded the 27th ranked defense last season under Wilcox for the 112th (or worse) ranked defense this year under Sunseri. At some point, he has to be accountable.

Ironcity writes:

in response to LovinMyVols:

What is wrong with you? Kind of wish you loved another team.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to pcorange:

You assume that Fulmer would have found a top 5 OC in his second try.

Ironcity writes:

in response to jbc:

I would likely keep Dooley another year.

However, if the opposite happens these guys would be on my list ...

Chris Petersen
Dave Doeren
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth
Guz Malzahn
Pete Lembo

And the litany of NFL names that rotate through

Doesn't Hudspeth write a social column in Atlanta?

pcorange writes:

in response to OLROCKYTOP:

If this bunch is getting paid to win, they all ought to be on food stamps before long, lol.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Dooley's a good man but has a problem with X's and O's

PHAT_VOL writes:

Beating Vandy and Kentucky would be a lift for everyone. To all the players Hang tough in these moments of uncertainty.
Your the BEST!!

GO VOLS!!!

cdamna1 writes:

Anyone who watched the interview with Hood would agree that he is a thoughtful, articulate young man who really does take it personally that people are attacking his head coach. I wish all the name calling and speculation would stop and just let these guys focus on football. Guys like Hood wouldn't just throw out a bunch of BS. You could tell by the tone of his voice and the look in his eyes he meant what he was saying. And I dont think he mentioned it specifically, but he was talking about the support and advice Dooley gave him after his mother passed away. So for goodness sake, I think the least we can do is support the players and the coaches until the year is over and let the chips fall where they may. These guys may not have won all the games we wanted them to, but they have given their all for Tennessee .....and for that they deserve our support at least until the horn sounds after KY, and hopefully until they get a win in a bowl game.

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

People have asked me about my screen name HHUUMMBBLLEE well it's real simple . . . the bible says God resisteth the proud but gives grace to the humble.How is humbleness abtained? by HUMILEATION. THE VOLS GIVE ME A BIG BOWL OF HUMILIATION EVERY WEEK thus i am the most humble man on earth. please end my misery hire gruden the mockery of others which i incur daily has crushed my hope that Hart knows what the HEiL he's doing.

jjvols writes:

Derek Dooley might be an important person in Daniel Hood's life, however, sometimes nice doesn't win ball games. I am sick and tired of being at the bottom of the SEC and I am tired of not going to bowl games. I wish Hart would do us a favor and go ahead and fire Dooley. I think it is important to get ahead in this coaching search before Auburn and Arkansas fire their coaches as well. Do your job Dave!

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to LovinMyVols:

Who are you to say what Daniel Hood should say. He is a grown man and if that is the way he feels so be it! And while I agree about the defense what the hell does that that have to do with Dooley having an impact on this young mans personal life. Maybe you don't like him as a coach and their is legit reasoning but Im glad he could impact young men's lives in a positive manner. In the end that's important too just like winning football games..

MarbleVol48 writes:

Big Dan - your relationship with Coach Dooly is commendable. Think what it would be like to play for John Gruden or Jack DelRio?

rockypop writes:

And, I guess if Bray's there every day, he's the QB.

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to cdamna1:

Nice post! I agree with you the name calling is childish and immature. It does say more about the person writing it. And what does it prove? That your pissed and hate Dooley. I really like Dooley and have supported him but also believe he just hasn't done the job he needed this year. But I don't have to belittle his name like a third grader to have that opinion. I hope for Daniel and the rest of the team they win these last two and get to a bowl even if it's not the bowl we want. Finish strong and don't let vandy beat us! GBO!!

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

Yep , one doofus called him a sleazeball and said that once he is gone the players will say how they feel about him.

BUBBA-Deeeeee writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Not only no, but HeII No!

You didn't hear or understand what this post was about ..

pcorange writes:

in response to Vols4life77:

The_Mayor writes:

in response to cdamna1:

This is by far the most sensible, well thought out post I've seen on this site in months. Thank you.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

To sell Sean Peyton after he was suspended from the NFL for supporting a bounty system seems awful difficult. Not sure that would be a great recruiting line. Especially considering the PR already happening.

cloudodust writes:

I appreciate Daniel Hood's perspective on CDD. As a man and as an individual, I really think Dooley has, in part, what Tennessee needs in a Head football Coach. I believe Dooley excels as a mentor and a figure the team can look up to. To the best of my knowledge, he's helped clean things up Atop Rocky. Fact is, W's against SEC opponents are another part that's kinda important, too.

The_Mayor writes:

Has anyone taken the time to notice how professional, respectful, courteous, sincere, interested, intelligent and without surrender Coach Dooley and the players have been through all this grandeur and pomp and circumstance the media has created this season? Even in times of deplorable strife and heart break for the desire to see his team succeed, and even through the torment and ridicule his wife and kids have been subjected to, he remains the consummate gentleman and accountable leader. He hasn't gone off the deep end like John L. Smith at Arkansas when the media baits him. And anybody who reads John Adams column knows that he is notorious for sarcastic feather ruffling intended garbage, like suggesting Bobby "Filth" Petrino, David "I got fired at Ole Miss" Cutcliffe, Tommy "The game passed me by about the same time it passed Fulmer by" Tubberville as head coaching replacements at UT. Everybody is so caught up in the sensationalism the media has created, and none more so than the so-called fans on this board. Folks, the man deserves another season. If he had done something of poor character or ill will to the integrity of the University, then possibly fire him. But as it is, Coach Dooley has been nothing but professional in the way he has handled his business. He has built stability and a tremendous level of trust between players and coaches, something that had been blown to smitherenes by the last administration. Has he mad some poor choices? Yes...many ill advised game time, heat of the moment missteps. I believe in the grand scheme of things that he has made us a MUCH better program, and that he has this ship pointed in the right direction. Any coach who has conducted himself in the manner Coach Dooley has, deserves a full four year cycle to prove his worth one way or the other. What on earth do we possibly have to lose by granting him that? Where does everyone think this great university is going to go in the meantime? The sun will still rise. The kids will still be the good, loyal, committed, hard fighting kids. The Orange Nation Pride will forever be in tact. Be patient, folks. Everybody called Einstein a nut job. Michael Jordan was a twerp. Lou Holtz was a puny twerp. Terry Bradshaw was a mama's boy baby. All of them discovered themselves and proved themselves and forged their place as legends in the history of sports greatness. Will Derrick Dooley? I don't know. Give him one more year at the very least. It's the fair thing to do.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

That's great. Very touching. But this team is bigger than one player. It's also bigger than one squad or even three recruiting classes or the class of seniors.

Dooley is a bad long term choice to coach football at UT. I'm sure that his relationship with Hood will continue if both men want it to, but Tennessee needs to win and it simply cannot do that with Dooley at the helm.

Like a surgeon deciding whether an amputation is necessary to save the patient's life, UT's administration must look at this situation dispassionately. The record speaks for itself.

If UT is to be successful on game days then Derek Dooley must go. If UT is fine with scraping the bottom of the SEC barrel, then by all means, keep Dooley on.

voodoo101 writes:

You probably ought to listen to someone who personally knows what he's talking about. Anybody here who criticizes Dooley actually know him?

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

Dooley is a good man. That's not the argument anyone is making I don't believe. I know some are calling him names, but they are just emotional. Nobody is blaming the guy for the past, people are judging what he has done over 3 years. That's not a crime.

Also, Dooley may have been best served to eliminate all coaches when he came in, he did not (Chaney may know passing but he wouldn't know a SEC run game if he had Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry playing). Then UT hired Hart, and it seems although not proven that Hart may have been the primer for Sunseri. So if that story has any bite to it, then Dooley may be best served to leave. If he doesn't have total control of his coaches and he doesn't have the ability to fire them, then the deck is stacked against him and there's not a lot he can do even if he gets another year.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to BeRealistic:

If Kiffin hadn't screwed us, we would now have a top 10 football program.

If Kiffin hadn't jilted us, we'd be on the NCAA top ten hit list.

pcorange writes:

This is definitely one of those situations that tears at your heartstrings a little bit. When you watch Coach Dooley's interviews, you see a good man who is trying his best to win the right way. I don't care whether we like his coaching or not, he has tried. You can see the passion for Tennessee and for his team in his expressions and hear it in his voice. He has developed a love for UT in his short time here that is probably unparalleled for a non-alumnus coach. Programs he has started here, like the VFL, are a testament to that. For that reason, it is going to be sad to see him go, even though I believe with everything in me that it is time to move on to another chapter. If he is relieved of his duties after this season, as he should be, I hope he is successful in his future endeavors. He is a good guy. This would be a lot easier if it were Lane Kiffin sitting here with Dooley's record.

hueypilot writes:

John Marshall who knew a thing or two about leadership claimed that if the people near the top of pyramid were not outstanding, you had to cut them loose. That's the reason Dwight Eisenhower made it from a Lt. Colonel in 1940 to command all the forces in Europe by 1943. Inferior managers and leaders drive away good subordinates. Derrick Dooley is a nice man, but to use another military description, he just doesn't pack the gear to be a winning coach in the SEC. He might have learned a thing or two that will help him in his next job, but I just don't think he can right the ship. As for others who say whoever comes in inherits a disaster, I disagree. Good offensive line and some players in the defensive line reurning.It all starts up front. We are a quality running back and some secondary players away from being a lot better. I believe the right hire could straighten this mess out and show some real progress by 2014. Just my opinion.

shipperman#280095 writes:

To all who are recommending that Dooley get another year, you might as well forget it. He is gone after the KY game, unless we lose to Vandy. Then it will be announced by Monday after that loss. He never proved anything at LA Tech and he would never be a winner here

volt11 writes:

in response to jbc:

I would likely keep Dooley another year.

However, if the opposite happens these guys would be on my list ...

Chris Petersen
Dave Doeren
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth
Guz Malzahn
Pete Lembo

And the litany of NFL names that rotate through

Fine....you keep him with you. We don't want or NEED him as coach anymore. He should have been fired after SC game.

Hounddawg writes:

in response to jbc:

I would likely keep Dooley another year.

However, if the opposite happens these guys would be on my list ...

Chris Petersen
Dave Doeren
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth
Guz Malzahn
Pete Lembo

And the litany of NFL names that rotate through

How can you not have David Howell on your list?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Nicely said. I guess there are some nice posters on here. AND correct in my view.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Read the article. You're way off in your response to the theme. The theme is speaking to the player's response to Dooley's efforts in the player's personal troubles. When a coach does this he's successful and is a "winner". You may think so too if you give it thought.