David Climer: Vanderbilt's James Franklin: Tennessee Vols matchup just another game

Vanderbilt coach James Franklin reacts to a call during an NCAA college football game against Mississippi on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, in Oxford, Miss. (AP Photo/Oxford Eagle, Bruce Newman) NO SALES  MANDATORY CREDIT

Vanderbilt coach James Franklin reacts to a call during an NCAA college football game against Mississippi on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, in Oxford, Miss. (AP Photo/Oxford Eagle, Bruce Newman) NO SALES MANDATORY CREDIT

— Ten games into his second season at Vanderbilt, James Franklin finds himself in an uncomfortable position:

The favorite.

Just don’t try to convince him of it.

“We have an underdog, blue-collar mentality,” he says. “That’s who we are, and we’re going to be that way for a long time until we consistently put a product on the field that everybody can be excited about and proud of.”

Never mind that Vegas has his Commodores favored over Tennessee in Saturday’s game. He doesn’t buy it. In Franklin’s mind, his team is Mondale facing Reagan in the ’84 presidential election, the Patriots against the Bears in Super Bowl XX, the world against the original Dream Team in the ’92 Summer Games.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

Flyfisherman writes:

Say what you will, James Franklin is improving Vandy. Something we could use at home.

Geofffourmyle writes:

This situation reminds me of what a little girl in Pennsylvania said when she saw General Lee.

"I wish he were ours."

Walt

UT '81

nocleats writes:

Dont be fooled, this game IS EVERYTHING for Vanderbilt and James Franklin. It is everything!

madmax22 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

James Franklin is the beneficiary of a much weaker schedule than UT's. Granted Tennessee isn't great, but outside of Mo. (with an injured James Franklin) the Vols would have beaten everyone that Peabody U has.

underthehill writes:

in response to madmax22:

Vanderbilt beat Mizzu at Mizzu..19-15

Flyfisherman writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

"I wish he were ours."

Walt

UT '81

I agree with you, Geofffourmyle. James Franklin will not be @ Vandy forever. Someone will grab him up sooner, not later if I'm not mistaken.

notorange writes:

in response to nocleats:

Dooley had better have the same outlook for this game and the ky game, if he has any hopes for a return next year.....which i doubt.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

I'd like to see a new poll. Which was the more embarrassing moment:

1) Dooley's post game speech after Vandy last year
2) The loss versus Ketnucky

I'm going with #1. Humiliating.

HooRay_Vol writes:

Well, if we lose to Vanderbilt then it just means we get a better draft pick.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to notorange:

I think you can hereby release yourself of any doubt with regard to the aforementioned.

underthehill writes:

in response to Flyfisherman:

I expect Vandy to do everything they can ..within reason..to keep Franklin..possibly matching his pay with other schools offers..etc..he seems to have the fan and community support and Vandy does get a share of the SEC pot...

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to notorange:

You all need to understand one thing, Dooley will NOT be back for a 4th year, regardless of what happens the next couple of weeks,. His tenure is over

TommyJack writes:

I bet Vandy fans cringed at Franklin saying they are "blue collar"...bwahahaha

thevoice writes:

in response to notorange:

Dooley's isn't paid $2.2M to beat teams he's supposed to beat. He's 0-15 against the ones that matter. That alone has already sealed his fate. Losing to Mizz, Vandy, and/or UK just validates.

notorange writes:

in response to thevoice:

I agree that with all the posters that say he won't be back, but in the back of my mind the 9.3 mill buyout looms large...stranger things have happened..

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I bet Vandy fans cringed at Franklin saying they are "blue collar"...bwahahaha

I thought that too. :)

Walt

UT '81

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

I'd like to see a new poll. Which was the more embarrassing moment:

1) Dooley's post game speech after Vandy last year
2) The loss versus Ketnucky

I'm going with #1. Humiliating.

3) 17-9 Georgia

thevoice writes:

in response to notorange:

That's a Maximum of $9.3M if no one seeks employment. Plus, any payout is paid over the remaining term of the original agreement (we're still paying Fulmer, Hammy, etc.). So, it's not a lump sum. I don't think enough people understand this. No, we may not be able to write a check for $9.3M now, but $200,000-300,000/mo? Probably so. If not, First TN Bank would be happy to help. We bring in $100M/yr; we're pretty bankable. Additionally, it's been reported that Dooley has discussed a "negotiated" resignation, which may reduce the payout.

underthehill writes:

in response to notorange:

I am thinking money is the reason for the delay in announcing Dooley will not be retained..the big donors may be tiring of buyouts and lack of competence being demonstrated by those in charge of UT's football business practices..which to me resembles wall street or fannie mae more than it does something you would expect from UT..

hueypilot writes:

I've told my grandson, aged 9 and a diehard Vol fan to savor this moment. In most years we are favored to beat them by double digits and if you don't crush them you don't feel so good about it. But once in a blue moon the toilet flushers are favored to beat Tennessee. It is when you beat them in the otherworldly situation where they are favored is it the most enjoyable. Like four years ago when Fulmer forbade Sims to throw a pass in the fourth quarter and we still beat them. Of course then, we actually had a semblance of defense.

underthehill writes:

in response to thevoice:

I think Dooley will get everything his contract entitles him to and I think he has made this clear..

djohnnyg writes:

Gruden may not be coming to UT but he sure doesn't do anything to quell the fire.

Last week on MNF he says "There's Dan Williams a TENNESSEE VOLUNTEER", with emphasis on the Tenn Volunteer part.

He knows the swirling rumors out there.

I really think he gets off on it all and likes all the attention and speculation about him.

He never denies any rumors. He probably figures "that's what everyone gets for draggin his name into every potentially vacant coaching position out there."

ournextguest writes:

in response to underthehill:

Exactly...thats why Gov. Haslam needs to step in and fire both Hart and Cheeks. They are a joke even more so than Dooley.

djohnnyg writes:

in response to underthehill:

Exactly. If there is any hold up that could be it.

You don't fire a guy and then ask him to take LESS guaranteed money to boot.

Unless...UT is offering to let him resign with dignity in lieu of taking less money. I doubt it though.

6972 writes:

I could not have read that right...underdog to Vandy? Naw, couldn't be right, could it? Oh, for the days of years ago.

djohnnyg writes:

It IS possible they are waiting to see how he does against Vandy and KY and if he wins the Music City Bowl give him another year.

If I had money on it, i'd say he's as good as gone.

thevoice writes:

in response to underthehill:

When has he said that?

djohnnyg writes:

As far as the idea they would let him "resign with dignity" it sounds nice but nobody would believe it,and does UT even want any suggestion that Dooley possibly left THEM instead of the other way around?

I don't like firings, but this is big business and alot is at stake so you have to do something like this decisively and not in a "wishy washy" sort of way.

It may be best to wait till the season is over...whenever that is.

IF he loses to Vandy...that would be an ok time to do it and have someone else coach the team against KY.

djohnnyg writes:

When you think about it, how cold would that be to rob Dooley of his one chance to win an SEC game this year by firing him before the UK game and not allowing Dooley to go out a winner and getting his "revenge" on UK.

Kinda funny we haven't had a "revenge" game against UK in 27 years.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Hey CDD, if by some possibility of good fortune that we certainly have not had in the past 3 years, we happen to win Saturday, how bout keeping a lid on the post game chest thumpin and hyperbole. I know for you getting 1 SEC win a year is like the NC for alabubba, but really, it's the commodes for pete's sake.

And it does not appear to help. It did not do us much good last year for the following game. And frankly, with such a miserable record over the past 3 years, nobody - players, coaches, fans are buyin it anyway.

underthehill writes:

in response to thevoice:

When has he said that?

was he not asked about whether or not he would resign and did he not reply..I am not that stupid..have you noticed him do anything that would put his buyout at risk..I haven't ..and I do believe the report he is an attorney..what attorney would ever take less than he is entitled to...

wallingdad writes:

I have no inside info or people i know on the inside to support any of my thoughts but here it goes.

I have to believe that Hart is waiting on the outcome of the last two games. if UT goes 6-6 and gets an invite to a bowl he can justify in his mind that giving Dooley one more year would be prudent. I have to believe he is staring at the buyout and cringes at it, especially given our state of financial woes. he is looking for any reason to keep Dooley. If not why is he waiting to pull the plug?

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

Tennessee wins a close one. But too little too late for Dooley.

thevoice writes:

in response to underthehill:

I've not stated I'm not running for President. Guess that "clearly" means I am.

I'm just going on reports from Doug Matthews that Dooley has discussed resignation with Hart. Resignation to me would seem the full buyout would not be paid.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to djohnnyg:

He knows the swirling rumors out there.

WTH were you smokin? Dan Williams plays for Arizona. Last MNF game was the Steelers and Chiefs. And Gruden did say "Eric Berry, a former TENNESSEE VOL". I thought this may be a clue that it might be a hint that he will be the next coach.

notorange writes:

in response to thevoice:

thanks for the info, that does clear up a lot of questions that i had....

koamalina writes:

It seems the Derek Dooley thinks he was hired with the same objective as that of General (then Captain) Neyland: Even the score with Vandy. Given enough time, Dooley possibly could do that.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to underthehill:

Vanderbilt beat Mizzu at Mizzu..19-15

Mizzou didn't have their QB for that game.

underthehill writes:

in response to thevoice:

I've not stated I'm not running for President. Guess that "clearly" means I am.

I'm just stating ..Dooley stated he is not that stupid..when asked about resigning..to me that would seem he expects his contract to be honored in full...we shall see...I don't agree with Dooley on a lot of things but I do on this one..he is entitled to whatever compensation his contract calls for ..

123forVOLS writes:

"...just another game?" Yeah right and people making less than $200,000 per year will NOT have their taxes increased under the newly elected second-termed president. Just another game, if that is so why do we now and will we hear for at least a month about the privacy invasion in UT's dressing room last year after the game over and over and over again? I bet the Vandy players have the quote on wristbands they wear into this year's game. Just another game, come on man!

123forVOLS writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

"I wish he were ours."

Walt

UT '81

Walt UT '81, you must a Sad Sad man!

ivyvol writes:

in response to wallingdad:

You might be correct. Last year everybody was complaining about Chaney and the offense and wanted Chaney sent packing. This year it's the defense. What will it be next year? Outlook is not good with or without current coaching staff as a lot of key players on offense could be leaving. More than anything what UT needs is stability and patience. The only constant at UT now is turmoil and that is not conducive to fielding a winning team.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to 123forVOLS:

Walt UT '81, you must a Sad Sad man!

Had the chips fallen differently, and UT had hired Franklin instead of Dooley, we wouldn't be part of the worst period in the history of the program.

Walt

UT '81

6972 writes:

There is one thing I know in the midst of all this confusion and debate, and it is, I don't know for sure how it is going to turn out. If I did, I would be glad to share it with one and all.

thevoice writes:

in response to underthehill:

If we're really taking what he says literally, let's acknowledge that the allegation he deemed foolish was 1 year ago and as I recall, he didn't deny it, only said I'd have to be a fool... It certainly didn't "clearly indicate he's not getting bought out for a lower amount" as you suggested. I think what separates us is that I'm more prone to believe trusted media reps who have no stake than the actual folk involved. Coaches and everyone else lie to protect themselves and no one else, especially when $millions are involved. Like attorneys say, "Deny, deny, deny, and let the courts decide, because you may luck up and get off the hook." Dooley would be committing suicide if he admitted a proposal to resign last year after the UK game. Economically, he was smart to deny it.

Overall though, I don't really care about Dooley's contract more than I do about correcting the issues at UT. I feel many folk on here are more concerned about Dooley the man than the actual issue: UT athletics. Maybe it's because he comes off as a stand-up, moral guy, talks like southerners, etc. I admit, I feel for the guy, but it doesn't resolve the fact that he's demonstrated he's a terrible game-day coach and average recruiter, and 0-15 against the teams that really matter.

6972 writes:

in response to suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts:

Tennessee wins a close one. But too little too late for Dooley.

The clock hasn't run out yet with the scoreboard showing a "W". I just have no faith in the defense. Mo scores like crazy, Texas A&M would have killed us. Hope you are right. I agree on the DD's fate.....just a matter of time.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to wallingdad:

BTW why did the President of this university get a pay raise during these times? BonzaiVol

ps11824 writes:

Why we keep beating that dead horse is a mystery. Where do we get the winning horse is the question.