Jim Chaney won't criticize Derek Dooley's decision

Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney talks with quarterback Tyler Bray during practice at Haslam Field at the University of Tennessee Friday, Aug. 3, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney talks with quarterback Tyler Bray during practice at Haslam Field at the University of Tennessee Friday, Aug. 3, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney declined to criticize Derek Dooley's decision to play for overtime rather than take a shot at a late score in regulation Saturday against Missouri.

"Coach tells us what we're going to do and we go do it," Chaney said Wednesday.

Dooley said he was playing to win in Tennessee's final possession at its own 39 but after two unsuccessful plays he decided to play more conservatively and let the clock run out.

"That's the way it goes," Chaney said. "We go out and see if we can get something generated. If we made a few plays, we were going to open it up. If we didn't, we were comfortable where we were at."

***

Defensive line coach John Palermo said his unit had more freedom to chase Mizzou quarterback James Franklin last week, and the results were positive.

"We turned the guys loose and let them rush and not worry about contain," Palermo said. "That really paid off for us. We had the quarterback running a lot during the day, got him off the spot and put some pressure on him. I thought for the most part the kids played good up front."

***

Senior cornerback Prentiss Waggner quickly regained his starting job after a shaky debut by freshman Daniel Gray, but cornerbacks coach Derrick Ansley said he still expects more from his senior.

"I think any time you get sat down, the coaches are showing you that you need to step up a little bit," Ansley said. "He made a couple plays out there Saturday that put us in position to score. We needed to make more. Any time the ball is up in the air, it's got to be a chance for us to make a play, and not the offense.

"He did well last week, but he could do a lot better because he's got a lot of ability. And we need him in these last two. We need his senior leadership first and foremost, but we also need him to make plays and help us get in winning positions."

***

Chaney said many of Tennessee's penalties on the offensive line were a result of shifts and movements by Missouri. But none of that should have come as a surprise to players.

"It was a point of emphasis going in, and we didn't handle it very well," Chaney said. "We had several penalties, and several that weren't called. Hopefully, we will get that better."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

pcorange writes:

Y'all can say what you want, but I think Chaney is a pretty good coach. I appreciate him not throwing his boss under the bus, even though he could have. Classy guy.

bah4vols#266620 writes:

in response to pcorange:

I agree with you.

bhenry writes:

Coach Chaney is not only a good coach he is a great guy.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to pcorange:

I heard on the Sports Animal today that Dooley wanted to hire Kevin Steele as DC but Hart wanted Sal. If true, I appreciate Dooley not throwing his boss under the bus even though he could have. Classy guy.

tennesseefan2 writes:

Sounds like he just said it was Dooley's fault. He does what Dooley says. Isn't that what he said?

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

So after Bray throws 50+ times and throws 2 more incomplete passes, Chaney doesn't want to insult Dooley, hilarious. Dooley was probably tired of watching 3 and outs so he said stop it!

Don't forget you would have to be an idiot to not drop and cover deep passes at the end of the game, yet that's all Chaney knew how to call because he's simple and hasn't figured out what a running game is or how to implement one.

BigOrangeRock writes:

I will say what I want. Graham is the only Tennessee coach I give a hoot about.

Fire Bob Kesling too.

The Rock has spoken.

Vols_fan_27 writes:

The running game has definitely not been what everyone had hoped but there's no denying that the Offense has produced just about every week... Like I have said before... with just an average defense, there is no talk of Dooley being fired this year... but it is what it is and time to move on...GBO!

pcshowtime writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

If this is this is the case all he has to do is speak up. He knows he is as good as fired anyway let the fans know. I just wish I knwew the truth.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say this is one of the top offenses in Tenn history. Witch Doctor say not their fault they are matched up with one if not the worst D's in Tennessee History. Witch Doctor say nepotism kills again.
Witch Doctor say NO MORE CHEAPIES! Witch Doctor say IF we want to win..open the checkbook DEEP.
Bones never lie.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

Pretty much any team in the SEC up 21-7 or 28-10, starts pounding the rock. It's not like UT knew something secret back in the day, it's basic football. Chaney can be up 41-0, and he would still come out throwing downs 1-3 every series. Maybe UT would have a decent record if they had a decent running game, and it allowed the defense time to mature. So it goes both ways.

Observer43 writes:

in response to pcorange:

Agreed...Just look at how well the offence is doing. I just hope Gruden keeps him ^_^

This is a joke guys... but Chaney is a great coach and a class act!

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to pcorange:

He's been loyal and professional the whole time he's been here.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

The truth could set them free. All of them.

pingkr62 writes:

Maybe Coach Chaney for head coach???

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Observer43:

This is a joke guys... but Chaney is a great coach and a class act!

Witch Doctor say better watch or you will become a quoted "source" for half of Knox sports media. lol
Bones never lie.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Sounds like "don't blame me, I do as I am told "

Observer43 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

I saw him in a restroom on the Strip and he was diagramming plays on his Ipad at the urinal.

The_Mayor writes:

Would make sense that Sunseri was a Hart hire and not a Dooley hire. There are so many layers to this onion. The easy thing to do is to call Dooley a clown, but I assure you he's no clown. I'd just like to see things stay in tact for one more year...including Dooley, Chaney, Graham, Bray, Hunter, Patterson, the O line, etc. Go out and bring in some head knocker JUCO defensive players this off season, the same talent caliber as Patterson. Can you imagine how good this team would have been this season if we even had an average defense? Probably would have won the Florida, SC, MO games, and possibly the UGA game. Sitting at 8-2 right now would be pretty fine, and we were literally inches from that. That doesn't even factor in the fact, and let's face it, this program and staff has been snake bitten when it comes to catching breaks. It seems like it all started with that horrific loss in Baton Rouge, and it's just been one flukey bad break after another. The bad luck has to run out. Give Dooley a full 4 years to prove his worth one way or the other. He's handled himself as professionally has anybody could ever hope for in a head coach. He's accountable, sincere, cordial, endlessly positive, and he has done many, many wonderful things for this program, in light of the ruins it was in when he arrived in Knoxville. I sure do hate to see us start from scratch again so soon. I think we would ultimately regret it. What do we have to lose by giving Dooley a full four year term? Where do we all think the University of Tennessee football program is going to go? I just don't understand the impatience. We'll always be Tennessee. Even if Dooley is a proven bust after four years, we're still Tennessee football...a HUGE draw for coaches and recruits. We're not going anywhere folks, and the sun will still rise tomorrow. Give this decent man his fair chance.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Maybe Coach Chaney for head coach???

Witch Doctor say if they cant nail a big name. Witch Doctor say rather than another up and comer he has proven his offense-system in this mess. Witch Doctor say his numbers and players say yes...imagine this offensive line next year as seniors...Marlin Lane is gonna look like Arian Foster does this year. lol
Bones never lie.
*IF they cant nail a Gruden or such..BUT yes KEEP him as an offense cord. thats a no brainer really.

underthehill writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

I got the idea Hart hired Sal and turned the defense over to him when Dooley kept insisting he had nothing to do with the defense..then as attention seemed to turn to Hart ..Dooley took over the defense which seemed to verify that Hart was involved..my questions ..if this is true..did Hart have the authority to do this or is this a part of Dooley's job..did it cost UT a win or wins..think KNS should do a poll on this...

traderjoe writes:

Fire Hart...if it's true he hired Sal. Why are we paying him $750,000.00 anyways??? Way too much for any AD. Cut his salary in half and if he doesn't like it, let him walk.

frblalack writes:

Give Coach Dooley the opportunity to turn this thing around next year. Hopefully we'll win the next three!

All Big Orange Forever!!!

pcshowtime writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

If dooley did not hire him the dooley needs to speak up. If he stays silent then all we can assume is he had his hand in it. Dooley knows he is going to get fired hell speak up.

If he stays silent well then I think they both picked sal sunseri. Which is really more likely. These things are rarely 100% one way or the other.

underthehill writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

If I was in Dooley's position I certainly would appreciate your support..you make a strong case and I agree in part with what you say..but will attendance allow it..hard to say..now give me your take on Hart..as far as I can tell UT could justify firing him without a buyout ..for his handling of the merger which resulted in lawsuits that I believe UT will have to settle or lose..if he hired Sal and turned the defense over to him it would strengthen the case to keep Dooley..If I had a choice and had to keep one of them..I'd take Dooley..

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

I agree, but either way, Chaney should stay on the hill! G.B.O.!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Well, surprise surprise! Nobody's throwing their boss under the bus. What a shock. Personally, I don't hesitate. It's always a good career move. Sheesh!

Sorry, but calling it off and playing for OT when your defense can't stop the other guy's offense (and it's clear that you know that based on a fake field goal and going for it on 4th-and-5 -- both in the first half of OT periods) is nothing short of stupid.

I suppose Dooley could have been thinking if he used the timeouts and didn't get into field goal range (or missed), and gave the ball back to Mizzou's offense with even enough time for just one play, we might lose in regulation. Still, it's what ancient Greeks referred to as having "no balls."

willtowin writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

I don't think we are being impatient. 3 years just to show improvement is all we asked. We didn't ask for a sec or national championship although some coaches have pulled that off in their first or second year. 0- 6 in the sec back to back to back years is not progress. Tennessee can and will do better than this.Dooley is not bigger than UT. We have to remember this!

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Thank you. The jacktard doesn't understand that he's undermining the defense by not EVER possessing the ball for any length of time. Every time they start to build a little flame in the running he gets all pass-happy again. An incompetent defense needs to spend as much time as possible on the sideline which also keeps all of the other stud SEC offenses on the sideline as well. One would hope that the number one item on the recruting list is Roland Poles-type fullback and a stud RB or two. Oh, and a kicker and punter. On defense we're set - all we need is safeties, corners, LB's, DT's, DE's - several of each.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to willtowin:

Really? Be an intelligent poster and do some research on Saban and Miles before they went to LSU. What were their records in three years at Michigan State and Oklahoma State respectively? How long did it take Terry Bradshaw to be great? How long did it take Lou Holtz to be great? Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Maybe Coach Chaney for head coach???

Not no, but hell no - they ALL must go! The last of the Kiffin trash must be swept out. Chaney would call a forty-yard fade on 3rd and one with Bronko Nagurski at fullback.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to underthehill:

I need to dig more and study more on the Hart situation. What I do know is that there is so much more than meets the eye in this situation. There has been a chess match from day 1. Hamilton knew he was in the tank when the Bruce Pearl situation went south. So you go from that AD to Hart. I would love to delve into Pat Summitt's mind and know her take on Hart. I wish there were more people on this board who would exercise their intelligence and realize things are much, much deeper than they seem here. Dooley has been the consummate professional through all of this. Has he made some ill advised game time mistakes with heat of the moment decisions? Yep. But he's proven over and over again what a genuine desire he has to make this program a winner...with decency. I've always thought of people in four general categories. People who do right things the right way. People who do right things the wrong way. People who do wrong things the right way (a thief can be a genius at his trade), and people who do wrong things the wrong way. Dooley falls into the first category...doing right things the right way for this program and this university. Is he intelligent? I have to believe yes...graduated law school from UGA isn't for some other knuckle head NCAA Division 1 coaches I can name. We need intelligent fans. Intelligent assistants, intelligent players, intelligent front office members, including an intelligent Athletic Director.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Well, when you have Bray, Hunter, Patterson, Rogers and Rivera, and an O-line that can protect the QB until the cows come home, it makes sense to throw the ball.

However, we also are 4th in the SEC in yards/carry in the running game. It isn't that our running game isn't working, it's that it isn't being used enough. Don't get me wrong, 35 rushes and 40 passes per game isn't terrible balance or anything, it's just too many throw-every-down series can easily result in 3-and-outs. Too many 3rd down passes when you have 5-7 yards to gain and you're in 4-down territory. In that situation, run the ball (sometimes, at least) and get at least a chunk of it so you have more options on the 4th down play. For example, how many people here think pass on 1st down, incomplete pass on 2nd-and-3, incomplete pass on 3rd-and-3, timeout, incomplete pass on 4th-and-3 was smart play-calling when you've averaged 4.3 yards/carry running the ball? I don't. No problem with the 1st and 2nd down passes, but I'm running the ball on 3rd-and-3, and again on 4th down and 1 or 2 (probably out of the beast), or pulling that Pig Howard pass out of the wildcat. If you can't gain 3 yards on two carries, with this O-Line, maybe you should lose? That's just me, though.

Prostar writes:

Kevin Steele for Defensive Coordinator, isn't that the same Kevin Steele whose defense had 70 points put on them by West Virginia in a bowl game? Maybe in time this experiment would work, but I blame Dooley for installing the 3-4 defense this year. We'll never know but I think had we stayed with the 4-3 we would have been in better shape.

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Dooley graduated from UVA not UGA. He was on the Virginia team that we barely beat in the 1991 Sugar bowl.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to farmdog:

Undergrad at Virginia. Law school at Georgia.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to farmdog:

Display some intelligence. Dooley did his undergrad at UVA and went to law school at UGA.

tenndave writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Actually this makes sense. If Hart pushed Sunseri on Dooley and it is the defense that is our main problem, then how can he fire Dooley if Dooley wanted someone else. This may be why Dooley gets another year and the defense coaches don't.

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Yeah that wuz dum.

Ironcity writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

We have 400 hundred yards passing two stud receivers and 47 seconds to make something happen. tnoutlaw is the coach. He calls off tackle on the 1st play, sweep on the second and the clock runs out. The difference in the result is Dooley would have been fired Saturday night. You talk about Chaney throwing down field yet the last play was a screen. Maybe you should watch the game before you comment.

I think Chaney is a little pass happy and I don't know why we abandoned the run in OT, however I can't knock the results. I think if we had a top flight runner Chaney would utilized him. Its a shame that neither of our backs are capable off breaking a big one.

I don't think Chaney will be unemployed long. He is a good man a good coach.

jt45 writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Sure thing Doc,we have recruits just lining up to come play for Dooley. I mean what Kid wouldn't want to play for someone who settles for moral victory,s and practicably gives away opportunities to win because of poor clock management,personnel management (too many players on the field). Oh wait,, thats just bad luck you say. So please elaborate on just what Wonderful things coach Dooley has accomplished. If I sound negative its because Im one of those fans who buys tickets, fights the traffic,parking to go to watch our team play and the excuses for coaching decisions got old a long time ago.
Furthermore all this talk about it being the DCs fault is just ridiculous,Dooley is the head coach. It is his responsibility no matter who makes a call. I dont know anyone who has a job and fails at it that could say well gosh we just were unlucky today I guess, or gosh we were just so close to getting that job done can I have my check now. 1.8 million a year has gotten us vol fans a 4-18 record in the SEC and 15-20 record overall for the last 3 yrs. Thats more than just bad luck. I realize he took over a mess but if you take on a job (any job) you have to deliver. I believed (hoped) like many others he would turn it around. One more year(like this one) will most likely cut tickets sales and fan support in half, making it even harder for the football program to get SEC caliber recruits or a good coach for that matter.After watching saturday,s game against Missery I no longer believe he can get the job done. I wonder how many young possible future recruits saw that loss unfold and the bad decisions wich may very well
be the reason we lost. You can say if only we had a better defense, I think we need a better coach.

Its time for a change

pcorange writes:

in response to tenndave:

This may very well be why Hart hasn't made a decision yet. If he did indeed force the Sunseri hire, then Dooley has a pretty good case for another year seeing how the offense improved this year. I really don't think his three year body of work shows any reason to keep him on, but in light of the Sunseri saga, he could make a compelling case (being a lawyer and all) that since the defensive meltdown was forced on him, he deserves more time with a defensive staff of is own choosing. Now, frankly, it may be too late for that. What top notch DC in his right mind is going to come in here for one year knowing that if miracles aren't performed, he would be gone? Okay, enough speculation on my part. I still think it's time to move on for the good of the program.

willtowin writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Even chizik at Auburn won national championship in first year there.. you do research my friend. It has been done.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I don't think Chaney will be unemployed long. He is a good man a good coach.

4.3 yards per carry. BTW, I think the two timeouts Dooley took home with him might have been used, and they actually allow you to run the ball if you think it'll catch the defense off-guard.

What I really don't get is why didn't he call one timeout and try to get another first down when it was 3rd-and-10? That would have been a great time for a run. If you happen to gain the first down, great. If you don't, THEN let the time run out so you don't give Mizzou back the ball. He could have run it on 2nd down, and Mizzou certainly wouldn't have been expecting it. It's not likely that it would have done worse than the no-gain they got on the pass to Lane. If it gained enough to give them a 3rd and manageable (3-5 yards), then they had every option available (with another timeout still in the bag) to use on that 3rd down. Again, if they didn't get the first down, they could still let the clock run out.

I definitely don't get abandoning the run in OT. Specially on 3rd-and-3 when you know you'll go for it on 4th. I've said it before: If you can't gain 3 yards on 2 plays with this O-line and experienced backs, you deserve to lose.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to jt45:

Its time for a change

I salute your loyalty and passion...I do. We're probably not too different in our love for Tennessee football. I was born in Knoxville. Went to watch players like Stanley Morgan play with my grandfather back in the 70's. Drove from Atlanta to Tempe in '98 to see UT whip the Seminoles in the first BCS national championship game. So, I respect your passion to see to it that we return to prominence. We just disagree as to how we might get there. I think Dooley, given the chance (and a full four years is ONLY fair), will prove to be a winner.

Examples of the things he's done for the program? Vol for LIfe. The divisiveness in this program's lore was so out of sorts prior to Dooley's arrival. Even the Greatest Vol of All, Peyton Manning had no desire to come to Knoxville during the Kiffin tenure. Now there is rich history to our program and support and buy in from past legendary Vols...Vols for Life, a culture that is 100% Derek Dooley's doing. If that's not good enough, check with the players like Daniel Hood the positive impact, life altering positive impact Coach Dooley has had on these young men's lives.

rb4346 writes:

in response to farmdog:

That is funny and so darn true.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to willtowin:

Chizik or Cam Newton? How are things working our for your Chizik right about now?

willtowin writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Oh and though it's not football, Tennessee had a coach that won an sec championship in his first year..his name is Bruce Pearl. If you get the right guy things can move quickly. With Dooley there isnt even progress. I know you would like to win a couple sec games a year for the next 20 years but most fans want more than that.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to willtowin:

Bruce Pearl blew it. He couldn't control his ego, much less his wiggle worm in his pants. We don't need that lack of integrity...it's not worth the wins. Big picture, my friend...think big picture and not your immediate gratification of a few meaningless instant wins. What did Bruce Pearl ultimately get us? A sweet 16 and a heck of a lot of disaster to the program in the end. The same people who are infatuated with Bruce Pearl are the same people who would like to see Petrino at UT. No thank you. I prefer decency first.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

As I've read and responded to comments on this article, I've come to this conclusion regarding Dooley's decision-making in this game. You don't have to agree with me. That's the great thing about this country and this anonymous internet thingy.

Where the end of regulation call goes, the only thing I really don't get is why he chose to let the clock run out after the no-gain on 2nd down. He could have called a timeout and then run another play on 3rd down. That play would need to be a run play, because if you don't get the 1st down, then (THEN) you want to run the clock out. You aren't going to go for it on 4th down and risk giving Mizzou back the ball with even enough time for one play left. A pass play would be ok only if it was complete (first down or not), but an incomplete pass would leave you forced to give Mizzou the ball back. So I would have run the ball on 3rd down, and if it didn't break for the 10 yards, let the clock run out.

Where the final OT series was concerned. I'm just totally puzzled. My belief is that when you have an O-line like ours and experienced, serviceable backs like Lane and Neal, you should pound the ball at them when you only need 3 yards and you have 3 plays to get them. I don't mind the pass on 2nd-and-3, but I'm pounding it down their throats on 3rd-and-3, and it doesn't matter what match-ups I see on any of the receivers. Lane or Neal, or Johnson, is most likely going to get the 3 yards, or at least some part of it. Then, on 4th-and-less-than-3, you can call whatever you think is best, because it's all-or-nothing. In a situation where you aren't going to go for it on 4th down, it's different, but Dooley knew right from the start that on any OT period when the Vols were on offense first, it was either TD or nothing -- no confidence that the defense could prevent a Mizzou TD, and rightly so.

I guess the bottom line is that I puzzle over part of Dooley's decision-making in both situations. He wasn't completely wrong, but certainly - in my opinion - could have done better.