Sal Sunseri: 'Nothing's going to change'

(MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri signals to his players during the first half against Troy on Saturday in Neyland Stadium. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Do you think UT has made its decision to fire coach Derek Dooley?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Dooley talks defensive strategy

Tennessee football players aren’t the only ones who face potential distractions as questions swirl about head coach Derek Dooley’s future.

The Vols’ assistant coaches, seven of whom are in their first season UT, say they’re focused on winning Saturday.

“Nothing going’s to change,” Sunseri said. “We work right now for the University of Tennessee. We’re going to work every single day. I’ve been here every morning at 5:30 and haven’t left until 11 o’clock at night. That’s what we do.”

The Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) play at Vanderbilt (6-4, 4-3) on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 7 p.m.)

Sunseri said players have been sharp in practice this week.

“To me, the practices have been good as they were last week,” he said. “Now it’s just the execution we’ve got to take to the game.”

VOLS34 writes:

I love the picture that they pick for Sunseri.

murrayvol writes:

"Nothing's going to change." I'm afraid you're right Sal.

JackMustang writes:

I'm glad to hear the practices are as good this week as last week. Whew.

BigBadVol writes:

Nice to hear. We will continue to be one of the worst defenses in SEC history. Sal please leave and take everybody with you.

allvolinatlanta writes:

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach, John McKay during his teams epic 28 game (I think) losing streak when the club first started was asked by a reporter what he thought of his offenses execution? He replied, "I think that's a damn good idea!"

shipperman#280095 writes:

IF NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE, WE LOSE TO VANDY EASILY....NYUK NYUK NYUK

allvolinatlanta writes:

Snapshot writes:

in response to allvolinatlanta:

Very stupid comment.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to VOLS34:

I love the picture that they pick for Sunseri.

WOOB WOOB WOOB WOOB NYUK NYUK NYUK

jryevols#222657 writes:

" What A Correct Statement "

Nothing is going to change until this dark cloud( dooley sittin on a dollar and some staff ) that hovers over the football program is swept away and replaced with a ray of sunshine ( new coaching program ). Our team is wounded and the only bit of healing that they have right now is in hope that someone will take over the program that can teach defence how to base-tackle and stop this hit and run style.
It is time that we focus on a real coach. Tennessee is one of the finest programs in the country , and there must be enough money to lure the very best to the program. We don't need an upstart who is motivated , we need a kick- --- staff that gets respect just because thy are on the field. I am a Tennessee alum , but I have made up my mind that if they hire some nobody , my family season tickets on the 40 will be up for sale , maybe give-away.

Come on Hart - get a set of guzooballs and and hire a leader , not a has been or upstart.

Patterson84 writes:

Things will drastically once your horribe D-Coordinator abilty is fired! Along with Dooley! Go Vols!

CrankE writes:

“Nothing going’s to change,” Sunseri said.

When you are in charge of a defense that's giving up 50 points a game, something MUST change.

Instead, you continue putting on more steam, coaching the wrong things, driving the bad habits deeper into the players' heads, and ensuring that it will all happen again on Saturday.

Sal should be fired FOR CAUSE for that comment alone.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Nothing changing? What else is new?

traderjoe writes:

Gets in at 5:30 and leaves at 11:00??? Was that gets in at 5:30 pm and leaves at 11:30 pm or gets in at 5:30 am and leaves at 11:30 am?

No way he gets in at 5:30 am and leaves at 11:30 pm. If so, then this should be reason for firing him because anyone working at a burnout rate with so little to show for it shows incompetence at best particularly since the D was better last year. Einstein's definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. I don't think it's very wise to say; "Nothing is going to change." Sounds like insanity to me.

jfuston writes:

It's a shame that Vanderbilt is 6-4 and Tennessee is 4-6. Vanderbilt has also won a few SEC games and Tennessee has won 0. I would have never thought that the Vols program would be the doormat of the SEC.

Cousin_Eddie writes:

Your mailing address is going to change in about 11 days, Sal.

63vet (Inactive) writes:

'Nothing's going to change'....'To me, the practices have been good as they were last week'. Do I feel better now?? Why Sointly!!

dvhill100 writes:

Man, the negativity on this thread is comical. Nothing is going to change is he is going to continue to come to office and try to improve the team. Not the glass half empty take you all are complaining about. Lighten up. I am not happy about the football program either, but last I checked the sun still came up and I was alive.

jfuston writes:

Raynock Thompson, Al Wilson, Eric Berry, John Henderson, Leneord Little, etc. must be disgraced at what they see on the Vols defense this year. I bet they are embarrassed. Eric Berry will probably start saying, "_____ High School, Atlanta Georgia." on Monday Night Football instead of saying he is from the University of Tennessee.

mike4vol writes:

I bet I can think of at least one thing that's gonna change...

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to traderjoe:

The fact that Sunseri works 70 hours a week - can't he see that he is having no effect on target? If his criteria for keeping his job is to just show up - show him the door.

Work smarter, not harder, Sal.

Walt

UT '81

ournextguest writes:

No Sal..Im afraid youre wrong. Many things will change in the coming days. Hopefully you leaving the University of Tennessee will be at the forefront.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to jfuston:

Why do people keep posting this "Vandy has won a few SEC games" phooey? You do realize they beat Ole Miss, Kentucky and Mizzou without their starting QB? Let's not act like they are beating the Bama's, Flarduh's, S. Carolina's and Georgia's of the SEC. Good Grief!

dubyson writes:

This guy is a clown.

jfuston writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

A win is a win, something UT hasn't done, period. Tennessee couldn't be Kentucky with a 3rd string wide receiver playing QB. What does that tell you? The simple fact is, Vandy beat the teams they were supposed to, UT hasn't.

volfan2002 writes:

Nothing is going to change we get 45 points and lose by seven.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I don't find that statement comforting.

Ironcity writes:

If we lose to Vandy think of the titanic tilt that follows to see who earns the distinction as the worst team in the SEC coached by the worst coaches in the SEC. How did it come to this?

tulelakevol writes:

Jay Greeson had an interesting stat in his column today. Since Tennessee started SEC play in 1933, they have lost 180 SEC games. Under Dooley, they have lost 10% of that total. In three years. That should be grounds for immediate dismissal! So should losing to KY with a wide reciever at qb, but oh well.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

I don't feel sorry for any of the coaches (even the lowest paid coaches draw a nice paycheck), but I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to work that hard every single day and get the same disappointing results every Saturday.

georgiavol91 writes:

in response to CrankE:

“Nothing going’s to change,” Sunseri said.

Sal should be fired FOR CAUSE for that comment alone.

Since Dooley insisted UT hire Sal, then maybe CDD should pay off Sal's contract when they all get fired....

georgiavol91 writes:

in response to jfuston:

Creekside.

Just here to help....

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to ournextguest:

If there were ever testimony to the concept that defense wins championships, it is the tale of Sad Sal Sunseri and done-for Derek Dooley.

Walt

UT '81

standfast#211788 writes:

Doesn't matter. If the defense would execute, we wouldn't be in the fix we are in. Unfortunately, we are playing SEC Football with SOUTHERN CONFERENCE talent. How many times do our defensive backs have to get burned before they stop letting their man get three or four steps behind them? I am really tired of watching them shake their heads in bewilderment as the other team performs their childish celebratory rituals in our end zone.

gillblog writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

Work smarter, not harder, Sal.

Walt

UT '81

As a matter of self-development, I think he should take some time off.

volaholic45 writes:

"Nothing's going to change." Isn't that what Warden Norton said to Andy Dufresne after putting him through all kinds of hell at Shawshank? The warden was wrong.

stoney writes:

Sal and Dooley always find some way to sneak a shot at "execution" as though that's the problem. It reminds me of the final days of Bill Battle. In fact, Dooley playing for the OT reminds me of Battle faking that punt against Georgia. Both made Neyland Stadium fall silent.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

It's not all that far back to Alabama; he could get there in a week or less in a wagon.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Actually, I don't want Sunseri to leave, I'd like to keep him as LB coach. He's obviously good at that.

If he gets there at 5:30 am and leaves at 11 pm, then that means he only gets four to five hours sleep per night. That's not enough sleep for a man. There's your trouble.

StoneJackBaller writes:

I know one thing...we are losing big time in the recruiting war that is going on. The longer this drags on, the more we lose. Big time hire now, or we're forever the Ole Miss of the East. GET IT DONE HART!

JDX47 writes:

I love the article's title. I can assure you if our coaching staff doesn't change, our results aren't going to change.

NYvolFan writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

However, he didn't say how many naps he takes throughout the day.

JDX47 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

You must be a very kind and thoughtful person. I try to be myself, but when I read the article, I didn't think of the poor guy not getting enough sleep...I thought, wow, it must be very unfulfilling to work that many hours and have such terrible results.

subdoc32 writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

Regardless you jacknut, they have 4 SEC wins and TN has 0. They are 6-4 and going to a bowl game and TN is 4-6 trying to get to a bowl game. Doesn't matter who they beat, a win is a win regardless!

6972 writes:

Miserable SEC record. Even a blind hog stumbles onto an acorn sooner or later. Now where is that oak tree?

zombievol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

WOOB WOOB WOOB WOOB NYUK NYUK NYUK

HEY MOE!.... I SAID MY NAME IS DOOLEY!

jjsteel writes:

in response to murrayvol:

"Nothing's going to change." I'm afraid you're right Sal.

wrong. A big change is coming in another week or less.

tensie2004 writes:

If "nothings going to change" then we will continue to lose SEC games, be the worst defense in the Sec as well as the NCAA, and you will see no improvement. When is this nightmare going to end!!

southerneagle84 writes:

Here's to old Tennessee
Never we'll sever
We pledge our loyalty
Forever and ever
Backing our football team
Faltering never
Cheer and fight with all of your might
For Tennessee.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to traderjoe:

As funny as that is I agree. Sounds like he's not working smart or can't see the forest for the trees. Crazy to think he spends 17 hours at work and that is the end result. Thank God coach Dooley is there to help ease that burden with another set of eyes. BonzaiVol