John Adams: Vols to settle for win, but no stadium takeover at Vanderbilt

John Adams

Vanderbilt is already bowl eligible. Tennessee isn't.

Let that sink in.

Something else: Vanderbilt coach James Franklin has won six SEC games in not quite two full seasons. That's two more than UT coach Derek Dooley has won in almost three seasons.

What's next in a rivalry that has been turned topsy-turvy? Will Vanderbilt fans actually fill up their own stadium?

UT vs. Vanderbilt usually turns into a home stadium invasion whenever the teams play in Nashville. But this season, the Vols haven't even been able to take over their own stadium.

Tennessee 34, Vanderbilt 30: The Vols actually have a couple of things going for them tonight. Let's take the worst first.

Never mind if Tennessee is giving up more points per game than all but 10 FBS teams, Vanderbilt invariably brings out the best in UT defenses.

In the past 20 years, the Commodores are averaging only 12.5 points per game against UT. Two years ago, six teams scored 30 or more points against the Vols. That same defense held Vanderbilt to 10 points.

LSU 38, Ole Miss 20: The Tigers routed the Rebels 52-3 last season, but that hasn't been the norm for the series under LSU coach Les Miles, whose teams lost back-to-back games to the Rebels in 2008-09. One of his five victories against Ole Miss was in overtime and another was by just seven points.

Mississippi State 35, Arkansas 27: Next time the Razorbacks hire a head coach for one season, they should make sure his middle initial isn't "L." I recommend someone with a "W."

Kentucky 37, Samford 10: The Wildcats played 10 consecutive games, then got an open date before this. Add "scheduling" to the long list of needed improvements for the next coach.

South Carolina 38, Wofford 13: Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier should be taking potshots at Clemson by halftime.

Texas A&M 58, Sam Houston State 14: Cam Newton holds the SEC record for single-season total offense with 4,327 yards, 146 more than Tim Tebow. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel already has 3,794 yards with two regular-season games and a bowl remaining.

Missouri 27, Syracuse 17: The Tigers obviously have to improve their non-conference scheduling if they're going to get any relief in the SEC. If they're looking for a role model, I recommend Mississippi State, whose non-conference schedule this season consisted of Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama and Middle Tennessee.

Georgia 41, Georgia Southern 14: These Bulldogs haven't overextended themselves in their non-conference scheduling, either. The Eagles are an FCS team and Georgia's three other non-conference opponents have a combined record of 8-19.

Alabama 52, Western Carolina 7: Is this match-up even safe?

Florida 44, Jacksonville State 11: Remind you of anything? That's how badly the Gators beat the other Gamecocks on their schedule.

Auburn 42, Alabama A&M 7: As of this writing, Auburn still plans on going through with next week's game against Alabama.

Top 25: Kansas State 48, Baylor 20; Oregon 52, Stanford 23; Notre Dame 34, Wake Forest 17; Florida State 45, Maryland 13; Oregon State 30, Cal 19; Oklahoma 48, West Virginia 34; Clemson 41, N.C. State 20; Nebraska 38, Minnesota 20; UCLA 38, Southern California 37; Louisiana Tech 38, Utah State 30; Oklahoma State 44, Texas Tech 37; Cincinnati 27, Rutgers 23; Bowling Green 34, Kent State 31; Michigan 31, Iowa 24.

Record: 181-42 (.812), 104-97 (.517) against the spread.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RockyMtnVol writes:

Let Vandy play our schedule and UT theirs and see the results......Vandy would be 0-9

Once again JA, you fail in your logic. Does KNS not care what is printed or do the readers not hold the writers accountable? Amazing how low the standards have gotten in East Tennessee. Writers who never played in DIV I anything, nor coached, have so many opinions as to what would fix UT's Football challenges......geesh! I guess they know best.

Go Vols!!

VolinCalif writes:

John may I personally thank you for continuing to write on a free site, so to speak. I have nothing against business ventures and the reasoning to make them financially successful. But from what I can see the long term results are crushing the the sports fan base,and just maybe the news media in general. All know that advertising has been a major supporter of news, distribution was the Catullus that influence the investment. But the lets get rich now movement is starting to backfire. Just like the immediate Return on Assets movement in many of our American businesses. Not saying I am correct, just saying what I think I see. So thanks for your continued dedication to the fan base. Yes I know there are always those that will complain. They need to look around and see what is really going on. Thanks again.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

JA: Good article and humorous in parts. I agree that The Big Orange will win, if they want to. And that lies solely with the players. If the players are not into it or have given up then this will be a disaster. If they will play focused.....and this is the crazy part....for 60 minutes they will win. Let us hope that some of the lessons that Dooley has been learning on how to coach a actual live game come out positively, at this juncture. Winnable game for UT,offense vs offense,the toss up is defense vs defense. Vandy will have the early emotional edge. Plus a head coaching edge at Vandy, but UT's offense can be awesome. I believe the closer to the truth score is...
Vols 48
vandy 42
Ovetime yes

BonzaiVol

Snapshot writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

Go Vols!!

Just how exactly did he "fail" in his logic?

Not sure you are being very logical. lol

CroKev writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Just how exactly did he "fail" in his logic?

Not sure you are being very logical. lol

Actually, he's being very logical. Adams throws stats out with regard to SEC records but he forgets little items like SEC opponents. Vandy won nailbiters against this year's bottom-feeders Auburn & Ole Miss. They also destroyed UK, whom UT hasn't played yet so that's 3 SEC right there in Vandy's column. Unfortunately, UT doesn't play either Auburn or Ole Miss but, instead, they played 2 ranked opponents: Bama and Miss. St. (neither on Vandy's schedule).

As far as UT's and Vandy's records against the same opponents this year, both schools lost squeakers to S. Car., and by about the same amount to UF. Vandy lost an absolute blowout to UGA (48-3) and UT almost won that game (L 44-51). Vandy won a squeaker against Missouri and it appeared after one half, UT would blow them out but we all know how that ended.

Thus, it should be a nail-biter. If there is a blow-out though, it should go in UT's favor. One can argue that a blow-out should go in Vandy's favor due to all the pent-up frustration in VandyLand over the decades, but they simply don't have the horses.

What really will decide this game is UT's defense. If there is even a semblance of pride in those boys, particularly the secondary, they will take off their dresses and decide to show up...

VolFan_InFlorida writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

? Huh?

Btw, I think catalyst was the word you were looking for.

Sir_Spanky writes:

As for the beginning of this article, I'm reminded of the turtle and the hare. And with regard to the SEC tour that followed, looks like we've got Cupcake Saturday going on.

VolFan_InFlorida writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

Go Vols!!

Ummm, we have 4 common opponents with Vandy....SC, UGA, Florida, and Missouri. The SC and Florida games were losses by both, by comparable scores. Vandy BEAT Missouri, we did not. And I think they would probably be able to handle Georgia St. and Akron. So say we're better than Vandy if that's what you think, but no way Vandy is 0-9 with our schedule

cloudodust writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

Go Vols!!

Where we failed (Missouri), they succeeded. Regarding scheduling, I've heard this train of thought over the past week and it conveys to me the mindset that not only is Tennessee not good enough to win the bulk of it's schedule, we can arbitarily suggest the Vols could win out with theirs. Relatively speaking, that ain't the way it works 'less we're playing in the Land of Oz...Who could have known when the schedules were formed and announced todays reality..? I'll simply admit something is askew Atop Rocky 2012 and move on...Anyway, like all others without a crystal ball, I'll take a wag and say Tennessee 42 Vandy 31...GBO

knoxchatter writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

Go Vols!!

the use of the words "once again, JA" indicate that you continue to read Mr. Adams' articles...only a fool would continue to do so if he/she so totally disagrees with everything Mr. Adams writes. It is evident that you fall into this category.

This article in no way fails in logic...unless it's the prediction for the final UT/Vandy score this evening. That may be wishful thinking at this point.

As for Vandy having to play a UT schedule...the last time I checked...Vandy is in the SEC and has played some of the same equally tough teams as UT. The fact of the matter is: UT has reached a point where we are having to settle for victories over traditionally weaker SEC teams...period. We have become incapable of beating..or even challenging...the big boys! This is where true Vol fans have lost their patience and rightly so!!

mrvol2u writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

Go Vols!!

Lets save the "let them play our schedule" comments for when we have a winning record putting us in the hunt for something worthy such as BCS bowl game and we are comparing records with comparable W and L's to another team trying for the same bowl.

We get to see on the field tonight who the best team is and I hope it is UT. I have only had to endure 3 loses to the Dores since the 60's that I can remember and I just soon not have to see anymore.

For the record, "I hate Vanderbilt."

GO VOLS AND FOR THE GHOST OF GEORGE CAFEGO BEAT VANDY!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to VolFan_InFlorida:

? Huh?

Btw, I think catalyst was the word you were looking for.

Thanks you are correct. Spell ck just can't help if you don't ck for the correct word. But I have always been bad at doing that type of thing. Again thanks

tensie2004 writes:

win or lose, will Dooley be fired after the Vandy game tonight?