Vols' offense goes on vacation against Oklahoma State, 62-45

BAYAMON, Puerto Rico — Perched behind a microphone sitting next to a slumped student-athlete, the coach flatly said, “They did a good job of being physical and of being aggressive.”

Usually it’s the opponent saying those things about Tennessee basketball.

This time, though, it was Vols coach Cuonzo Martin speaking of Oklahoma State.

The Vols were beat at their own game Friday.

Bigger, better and stronger, the Cowboys bullied cold-shooting Tennessee throughout a 62-45 thumping in the semifinals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

“They set the tone,” Martin said.

And the Vols didn’t respond. They will now face Massachusetts in a tournament consolation game Sunday (TV: ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.).

Oklahoma State (3-0) brought too much Marcus Smart and too much Le’Bryan Nash, while Tennessee (2-1) left its offense back at the team hotel.

Toiling along without Jeronne Maymon, the Vols made just 13 of 50 shots from the floor and trailed by double digits the entire second half.

Those 13 made field goals are tied for the third-lowest total in the program’s 104-year history.

Some perspective: It was only the sixth time in 2,174 games that UT made 13 or fewer shots.

“I thought we had some wide-open 3s that guys normally make, but that’s part of the game,” Martin said. “That’s something I always tell our guys — you can’t worry whether you’re making or missing shots, you have to defend at a high level.”

Nash and Smart made that difficult. The two NBA prospects scored 17 points apiece, including a combined 21 in the second half. They also joined forces to sink 17 of OSU’s 23 made free throws.

On the other end, the Vols had no answer.

“For us to have success, especially without Jeronne Maymon, you have to be able to go inside,” Martin said. “We needed Jarnell and Kenny.”

That didn’t work, either.

Jarnell Stokes, whose production is even more crucial in Maymon’s absence, played the game in a telephone booth. A swarm of Cowboys offered him little room to operate.

A 2-for-8 shooting, seven-point outing was the result. Kenny Hall, Stokes’ frontcourt mate, fared no better. Battling foul trouble, the senior forward attempted one shot in 15 minutes.

“We wanted to stop their big men and, obviously, we did a pretty good job doing that,” Nash said.

Stokes and Trae Golden (team-high 11 points) were the only two Vols to make more than one field goal. The rest of the team shot 7-for-30 (23.3 percent).

Former Vol Philip Jurick, a 6-foot-11 center in the Oklahoma State starting lineup for injured starter Jean-Paul Olukemi, was a force frustrating Stokes. He added six points for good measure.

Jurick and starting power forward Kamari Murphy each found the bench early in the second half with foul trouble. It appeared the door was cracked open for the Vols.

Instead, the defense faltered. UT couldn’t get the stops needed, a result, Martin said, of a frustrating day on the offensive end.

On the few possessions the Vols’ defense did hold, the offense couldn’t respond.

“Shots didn’t fall,” Martin said. “That was a pressing situation where you’re trying to hurry up and get back in the game and it’s easier said than done to stay calm. It’s the emotions of the game.”

The emotions afterward weren’t any better. The Vols left the floor stonefaced. In the postgame press conference, UT junior D’Montre Edwards said the team will work to “keep confident” after such an outing.

A woeful first-half effort on the offensive end saw UT shoot 7-for-24 from the field with 10 turnovers against just three assists.

Oklahoma State struggled as well, but not to the extent of the hapless Vols. During a five-minute stretch, both teams went 1-for-10 from the field, but OSU responded to close the half.

Making six of their last 10 shots, the Cowboys took a 30-19 lead into halftime.

The Vols were outscored 24-10 in the paint and outrebounded 39-29 in the game.

Martin said the team will not practice today. Only a date with the Oklahoma State game film is scheduled.

Tennessee will play its final game in Puerto Rico on Sunday before departing for the mainland on Monday morning.

“We’re going to (go) over some things (Saturday) and get ready to play,” Martin said.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE…absolute pathetic display of basketball. No offense, horrific shooters, nobody that can make a post move w/o traveling, embarrassing free throw shooting, and an overrated defense that gives up too many busted plays and routinely bails out the offense with fouls.

What scares me the most is how grossly outcoached our team was. Out motivated, out willed, out energized, NO ADJUSTMENTS, NO ANSWERS. Came out the 2nd half and fired up 3 long-range jump shots that didn’t have a chance. If this were a chess match OK ST was always 3 moves ahead of us. I have watched all 3 games this season and have seen ZERO improvement from any player from last year. I like Stokes, seems like a nice guy, but he is just a big body with no post moves and cinderblocks for feet and hands. Don’t even get me started on Golden and his careless shot selection, was there a Kenny Hall sighting today (oh wait I think I saw him tackle someone out of frustration and get called for the foul), and who is #32 and why is he on the court?

With such pathetic and inconsistent shooters, I hate to say this team is incapable of making a run in a tournament. There will be a few highs this season and many lows.

Lucky for me, I’ve gotten used to mediocrity as a VOLS fan so I’ll be over this loss in 5 min.

SummittsCourt writes:

Sometimes 19 and 20 year olds have bad games.... it's unfortunate when they all have them at the same time.

Too early in the season to get too worked up over this one loss.

NorthwestVol writes:

That was ugly. Did the boys forget to set their alarms?

jt45 writes:

Wow, thats just embarrassing ! Time to light a fire Coach.

chattabluetick writes:

Pitiful! Didn't know loss of Maymon meant this much, as good as he is. Lets hope this is not a pattern. Shooting, defense, rebounding, and energy were non-existent. Thud

volboy81 writes:

I hope it wasnt as bad on TV as it was following on a sports app, but apparently it was. Cant believe Jurick handled Stokes. He must have mightily improved from his freshman year at UT, because he was unimpressive then. And that VolsnTitans person doesnt sound like much of a Vols fan. We'll be fine. Growing pains.

Ironcity writes:

I didn't see a lot of the game but saw enough to realize this team has a lot of work in front of it. Our zone offense was just horrible. Stokes has not look comfortable yet this year. He needs to do more then just play with his back to the basket and let inferior players abuse him.

I would love to blame the rims but it was rare that the ball ever was on the inside of the rim. We were pumping up some serious clankers. Hope we get out of here with two wins but that will not happen if this team doesn't play better then this.

P.S. Still need a suitable back up at point guard. I look forward to Landry next year.

MurfVol77 writes:

WOW its never a good thing when the word "hapless" is used...

1vavolfan writes:

I hope I am wrong but this doesn’t look like an NCAA tourney team. Here are the troubling observations I took away from today’s game.

**Golden’s Defense. I thought I read before the season that Golden wouldn’t guard the other teams PG? He is just not athletic enough and too short to guard the top PG’s and it was a major factor today.

**The new kids aren’t ready yet. We have no one who can play the point but Golden. Moore only needs to play in spots and against lower D1 teams . Chievous needs the red light and only needs to shoot if he has an open layup, he does not need to shoot 4-5 3’s per game. Edwards shoots it almost every time he touches it.

**Very poor shot selection. UT’s offense was terrible because they took low pct. shots. OK St. shot layups and penetrated to kick it out to open shooters.

**McBee the most 1 dimensional player in UT history. All Skyler can do is shoot open 3’s and those at about 35%. Just put anyone on him with a hand in his face and he is a nonfactor.

**Kenny Hall has been the best player on the team. Why did he sit out until the 8 minute mark of the second half when UT was down by 18?

**With Maymon hurt UT has about 5 effective players: Golden, McCrae, Hall, Stokes, and Richardson. Depth is a serious problem.

VictorKruger writes:

Comprehensive loss against a good team. Marcus Smart is the type of player that makes everyone better, and UT had no answer for him. Hopefully the Vols will be able to have a little fun tomorrow and get ready to leave Pueto Rico with a victory on Sunday.

If you're like me and have no interest in reading trolls' comments, check out the free GVX/Knoxnews Troll Comment Blocker for Firefox and Chrome:

Firefox users must install the Greasemonkey extension first:

Chrome users must install the Tampermonkey extension first:

born2ride writes:

NIT

JDX47 writes:

It shouldn't be news to any of us that our team struggles with shooting. While some games go OK, most of the time it's alway just short of a brick-fest. I was laughing reading the article about UNC Ashville game where we played the inside out game...that will be a tough way to win with our bricklayers.

When Maymon gets back, we may be able to out muscle some of the teams, enough to get us to 19 or 20 wins (if he gets back soon)

thevoice writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

I do agree with you about Stokes. Besides his first game or so last year, I really haven't seen much from him that makes me think he's the real deal. He's not aggressive. With that body, he needs to be! His, and the rest of the team's, free throw shooting needs much improvement.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to volboy81:

Did anyone expect Jurick to do anything as a freshman? He as a project to begin with. But he does bring size and rebounding and shut down our best player. But CBP suggested he transfer from what I understand.

underthehill writes:

Lack of energy and poor shooting..not good combo..

AHOUSE writes:

Stuck up the floor---no energy---golden drives me nuts walking up the floor with the ball. No urgency to get it going. Reminds me of the games last years or the year before on the west coast by the men and ladies.

westknoxrepub writes:

This loss was brought to you by two star recruits. . .for when the NIT is good enough.

HtownVol writes:

It loos like I thought the team would be better than they are.

OKST blew by our players anytime they wanted.

Stokes was out of control. McRae had a horrible game. McBee couldnt guard their Guards and when that happens he struggles shooting. Hall was not a factor.

It just looked like the team had zero energy and I really thought we would not have these games against average teams this season.

When we have a size advantage like we had and not take advantage of it then there is a problem.

I am disappointed in a total lack of aeffort today.

Lets hope that we dont see this again.

GO VOLS

volaholic45 writes:

Yikes! Throwing up treys clank, clunk, boink. Our bigs picking up fouls at the top of the key. Shooting like peewees on a regulation rim. Golden's matador defense. Air ball layups. Dust Bowl length droughts. Putting the throw in free throw.

Brought back all the bad memories from last season. Still can't remember the good, but there must have been some.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol. Repeat until convinced.

Orangeblood13 writes:

Like I got blasted for yesterday, we just got to do better. Seemed like they were not into it today, and if Golden is our best Outside player and he has no sidekick, we are in trouble.

Gota do better guys

eb502us#225637 writes:

Going to be a long season as our swiss cheese defense looked like that of the football team.
Forget about the fact that we can't shoot. This team had as much energy as Coach Martin did on the bench........Zero.

Four problem areas stuck out to me.

1) Our man to man switching defense needs to be shelved as we aren't quick enough at enough positions to use it effectively.

2) Trey Golden needs to look for his shot every time down the court as he is one of the few players who can break down the D, not to mention he is one of our best shooters. If he doesn't become more aggressive, our offense is going to be just as stagnant as it looked today.

3) On a similar note, why is it that we run no screens for McBee to catch and shoot? The reason he has struggled thus far is that he has to try and create his own shot which isn't going to happen. So when he gets a look (unless he's wide open) it's more of a forced shot which brings down his percentage.

4) We have no big man that can hold his own against a quality big man. Jurich is hardly quality and he had his way inside. Stokes is a nice player but he's not athletic enough or big enough to stop taller players. Mackinjoula is a project and Hall is still gets pushed around to easy.

Only bright spot I see is that Maymon didn't play and he will help out some down low while freeing up the offense a little more.

JDX47 writes:

I heard that Dooley and Sunseri were going to give Coach Martin a hand to prep the team to get rid of those "explosives" and play some serious defense.

69vol08 writes:

Time will tell...still early in this season.

Smokey91 writes:

Guess the close games with Kennesaw and UNCA should have prepared us for this. UT got exposed against a superior team. This year's version for UT looks a whole lot like the same team that lost to AP and MTSU. Pretty pitiful we can't break 50. Oh well, mediocrity has unfortunately part of the culture at UT this days. Buck up boys, I know you will better when JM gets back. Learn from the loss and move on. You're not Dooley bad........yet.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wondered how long it would take for the ole 2star recruit comment. You must have that on permanent copy and paste on your computer. Hated to watch the loss myself, but am sure there will be a lot learned from this one. Have no idea why I am wasting my time on you. I AM STILL PROUD TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

Early in the day...early in the season...so this loss won't mean that much in the long run. However, the Vols need Maymon back in the worst way!! Today we were absolutely inept at shooting! Must go to the basket instead of shooting jumpers early in the shot clock. We showed a lack of maturity in this game. I believe that in the long run we'll be just fine!!

pcorange writes:

Chamique Holdsclaw, NCAA extends football probation, Dooley's still hasn't been fired, and now this. Bad week in Tennessee.

Smokey91 writes:

It will officially be a terrible weekend when Vandy hands Dooley his hind quarters tomorrow. Just ain't a whole lot to get excited about anymore Vol wise. Hope I am wrong about the Vandy game, but just don't have a lot of confidence or reasons to hope these days.

HazardKYVol writes:

Shooting was a problem last year and looks like it may be a problem this year too. It's early, but bad habits are hard to break. 26% won't win many games no matter how good the defense is.

Ironcity writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Four problem areas stuck out to me.

Great insight. I would like to add I think we are really trying to force Stokes to play with his back to the basket and he just doesn't look comfortable. His moves are sloppy and when he gets to the rim he just shows the ball to the defender. I get he needs to use his size to bury an opponent but sometimes you have to let a player of his skill level utilize his entire game. It would have been nice to see Jurick chasing him 17ft from the basket and forcing him to do something he can't do well.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Four problem areas stuck out to me.

You guys bashing Stokes are clueless. He has 2-3 guys on him every time he touches the ball! There is no threat from any of our guards to hit a jump shot so they double and triple him every time he touches it. He is still putting up decent numbers but until #34 comes back he will be the entire focal point of opposing defenses.I told you guys that without Maymon UT would be bad and here it was on full display.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

Does anyone know how to set a legal screen? I hear Phil Jackson is looking...

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

I'm sure the all knowing Gerry will be along shortly to enlighten us with his exceptional knowledge of what transpired today... Until then, here are my thoughts.

Our guards played some of the most pathetic basketball that I have ever seen in my years as a Tennessee fan. This includes the Buzz Peterson era. 26% FG shooting throughout the entirety of a college basketball game should be punishable by law. Couple that with 22% 3pt. shooting and 64% ft. shooting, and you have a disaster.

Our guards are just totally clueless when the defense makes any sort of adjustment. They look like they've never seen a full court press or any sort of double team in their entire lives. How many times did we settle for a long range 3 that OKST simply gave us? McBee is here for one reason and one reason only, to make threes. He was 1-4 and his looks were open, for the most part.

I like the fact that Golden "can" score, but shooting 8 three pointers at the PG position is unheard of. That is not the sign of a mature point guard and I can't believe I started to give him credit yesterday for being any sort of leader. Leaders do not chuck up shots from the arc, they settle the game down, recognize advantages and exploit them. Golden was exploited all game.

In the first half, OKST shot 10 free throws to our 2. Isn't this team supposed to be predicated upon low post play? Give me the "ohhh we don't have Maymon" garbage all you want, this team is trying to be a jump shot team, which THEY ARE NOT.

Oklahoma State had 24 points in the paint with a Tennessee washout and slashing guards. Wanna take a guess how many points our dominant down low posts, sleeper NCAA tournament run, SEC contender team had?................... 10. Ten points in the paint over a 40 minute span. Numbers like that show exactly why we lost. This team doesn't have the guard play (or brains, apparently) to recognize that Stokes has kids buried 6 feet under down low and instead, we shoot threes!! We're talking wide open threes, too. 21%......... To heck with it, chuck up another, I'm sure this time it'll go in. Stokes must be frustrated...

It's like I said yesterday, McBee is a great shooter but he is too easy to key on and gets taken out of games by athletic defenders. He doesn't have the speed to play good defense and gets taken advantage of game after game.

We played a good team, don't get me wrong, but I expect much more out of a team that prides itself on defense, post play and strength. We lost all three battles today, BADLY. Their motion offense left our mighty defense clueless time after time after time. Our guards should take note on ball reversal and the advantages it presents your posts with. If you're gonna run a motion, look for the cuts.

I know it will get better and that the season is early but these types of performances will get you a 2nd round matchup of the NIT vs MTSU again, quickly. Sorry that I'm not sorry if you disagree or don't like the honesty, Go Vols.

fearthehound writes:

in response to pcorange:

More like a bad five years, right?

oldster writes:

Martin does not recruit shooters, he recruits athletes. He emphasizes defense. Given this why should anyone be surprised that the Vols lack offense. With Martin's style the team had better win a lot, because it sure is not fun to watch. I hate grind it out basketball. Of course, I was never a fan of the WWF, either. BTW: Our 5 star recruit has all the moves necessary to get his shot off. He just cannot hit many of them. He does resemble Shaq, though - at least at the free throw line. All that being said, this group will probably make the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round to Shaminade or some such.

fearthehound writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

Does anyone know how to set a legal screen? I hear Phil Jackson is looking...

...and Pearl has, what, two years left on his show cause?

eduardo writes:

our offense was offensive

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

One word for this game...BRICK..I live to watch us play BBall but outside of the Michigan game; I can't recall watching a more frustrating game!!!If Iam Martin I would have been totally in McRae and McBee's face for leaving all those shots short!! TIME after TIME OSU left the door open for us to make scoring runs but all we could do was toss up even more BRICKS..One play really stood out for me..McRae had an open look on a 3; missed the shoot and Stokes picked up a costly foul on the rebound and OSU gets 2 on the FT. After watching McRae and McBee shoot lights out in the past 2 games I thought we had finally got over the hump with our shooting inconsistencies but NOOOOO here we go walking the same path that cost us 6 games last year!!! So much for Stokes having a huge breakout year..OSU handled him with ease and didn't have to resort to double teams to do it..The defense was good enough to win and had we shot a reasonable 41% we win by 5!! One absurd thing I noticed was OSU was in the bonus after only 5 minutes gone in the 2nd half..Thats totally unheard of and proved to be costly because eveytime we breathed on Smart and Nash they called a foul and got 2 easy points..I realize this was somewhat of a meaningless tourney game but it was also a chance to make a statement that we can compete against anyone and dominate

JDX47 writes:

in response to oldster:

Dude, don't dis Chaminade (spelled with a C)...this group could lose to them. I remember them taking out Ralph Sampson and the Number 1 ranked Cavaliers in the 80's. We better go with a "some such."

mocsandvolsfan writes:

At 26% I'm a little surprised we got 45 points. That was the worst shooting I've ever seen with the Vols. You'd think someone would luck a few in. Our focus was nothing. Our offense was never set up mostly. We have terrible footwork! I want to believe they stayed up partying last night. But there aren't any excuses really. I think martin let's them play bad some games to make a point later in practice. I don't know. But I hope he makes the point and doesn't have to make more even later. I just don't believe OKSt. should have been that much better.

Bad game move on.

utvolorange writes:

45 really?????? round ball goes in round hoop, sounds stupid but if you cant do it then you look stupid.

JDX47 writes:

Fire Coach Martin...Hire Gruden.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

"Vols lack offense against Oklahoma State"

I beg to differ. I thought they were very offensive.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Bad game move on.

Have to agree with you. Really had me wondering if this was actually the same team I watched agains Kennesaw St. As for OKST., will be interesting to see how they pan out in the final game and the season. I know our offense stunk, but is OKSt. actually a little better team than many thought they would be? Smart and Nash are good players and Jurich has improved more than I ever thought he would or he just played well against a team he used to be on. I do wonder, as you posted, if Coach allows them to at times try to do it their way so he can teach them that it will not work. Don't know, but feel like this can be a good lesson early in a long season. Feel we will see some difference in the next game. GO BIG ORANGE.

BRUCEpart2 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

...and Pearl has, what, two years left on his show cause?

I want sooo much to support CCM...but that being said, too much more of this type of play, along with seemingly NO half-time adjustments and we'll have PLENTY of "cause" to "show 'em" why we need to bring CBP back A.S.A.P.! Never a sense of urgency in the second half...no cuts or slashes to the basket by Richardson or McCray...and for gods sake, quit worrying about Stokes leaving for the NBA...given his current offensive skill level, he's as ready for the NBA as Scotty Hopson was to replace Kobe on the Lakers!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

I agree until we get someone to be a true threat outside to actually score and not just throw up shots and until Maymon gets back (if he does) this team will struggle a lot....pack it in and beat us from the outside if you can...we'll see a lot more of this I'm sure...BUT...I'm not screaming like a 4th grader the way some on here are....my goodness man...show a hint of maturity and act like an adult...

VinylVols writes:

I really don't think McBee is starting material and should be coming off the bench during games. He's a great 3 pointer, but that is it. You can't afford having a bad start to a game because he's on, he should come on when we have a lead and we can open it up and extend that lead. I think McRae is a better player, even though he didn't play well today, but he is better at coming in and shooting short jumpers and also taking it to the rim. I think that would be a start, switching around the starters.

Golden, McRae, Richardson, Stokes and Hall would be a better starting lineup.

On another note, Richardson is actually really impressing me.

willtowin writes:

I was afraid Coach Martin was downplaying the lack of focus in the Vols first two games.I liked it more last year when he was a little less tolerant of that kind of thing. Sometimes these kids need to hear their coach is serious not passive about their level of play. Maybe now he will buckle down and we will see different results.

eb502us#225637 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Where is it in my post that I bashed Stokes?

Again, he's not going to be able to defend bigger players in the post, as we saw with Jurich. He's not a center. Agreed?

samvol writes:

didnt see the game but from the box score it must have been pretty ugly.

GoVols!!