Bowl trip last major goal left for Vols

Tennessee offensive lineman Ja'Wuan James (70) congratulates Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11) after he scored his second touchdown against Troy at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE — One by one, the Tennessee football program has had to cross off items from its list of goals for the 2012 season. Not because the Volunteers have met them, but because they can't.

There's really only one left.

With two games remaining in the regular season, the Vols are eyeing a bowl game, but that first requires beating an energized Vanderbilt team in Nashville tonight.

It's a similar position for Tennessee, which won its last four games to reach the necessary six wins in 2010 and had to win its last two a year ago but failed at Kentucky after edging Vandy in overtime.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

eduardo writes:

Actually the last goal is to ink JOHN GRUDEN!!!!

Millisa writes:

1st thing- Get Gruden 2nd- Aint going to no bowl

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to eduardo:

Actually the last goal is to ink JOHN GRUDEN!!!!

No doubt, but I think he's referring to the fb team in particular. They desperately need a win for some sort of confidence building after allowing so many close games to slip away..GBO!

TKO writes:

Keep moving folks....nothing to see here.

LovinMyVols writes:

BBVA Compass Bowl or the Toilet Bowl! Woohoo!!!

Well...I guess we could use the practice....

underthehill writes:

Game of the year for both schools..regardless of what the perception of UT fans may be..it will play huge in recruiting..and the future of both programs...

djohnnyg writes:

Gruden is saying nothing to dispel the rumors. He may be sick and tired of being linked to every job opening in college AND pros.

Someone said hes been looking into schools for his kids in Knoxville...who knows.

Gruden would bring in a top recuiting class no doubt.

What is the big concern for 5 star athletes? They wanna play in the nfl, and Gruden gets the edge as far as perception goes. He's coached a super bowl winner and helped build th Raiders before that.

Kids watch monday night fotball. They know Gruden, and would trust that he would be the guy to teach them what they need to do to get there.

Probably won't happen, but i've heard nothing yet that says he won't come to UT either.

Govols1995 writes:

Do yall remember the days we didn't have to worry about making a bowl game! Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!

OTPVol writes:

Totally unacceptable coaching performance. I love and support the team and the university, but the time has come.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We cannot play catch up in yet another game. If we defer to the 2nd half, we may very well be down 7-0 out of the gate.

Anyway, as sorry as the defense has been, they may just make a play or two we don't expect. Somehow, they will have to have some hint of a pass rush in this game. As always, turnovers are keys, no matter who forces them or who commits them.

What surprise will Palardy have for us in this one? Kickoffs need to refrain from sailing out of bounds.......field goals made on occasion, punts more than 25 yards, kickoffs into the end zone to prevent 83 yard returns.

When it's 2nd and 2 or 3, we might for a change see Chaney not going pass happy down in the red zone.

Back to Gruden. This is a very historical game. If as most of you hope, we lose and Hart waves good bye to CDD, let's fast forward to 2013. Assuming Gruden is here, and we're once again teetering on another losing season, what will the conversation be?
"Never should have hired him........fire him, etc."

First of all, he isn't coming, period. What other rumors will be next?

We haven't lost this game yet. May not.
If we do, hope for once someone makes some smart decisions.

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

We saw how the team played last year with a bowl game on the line. Been there. Done that. Except for Derek, Barbara and the half dozen remaining Dooley supports, folks could give a rats rear end for a bowl game. CDD and this clown show of a "coaching" staff needs to go so we can move on.

CCLC writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

"I guess Jeff Dantzler’s soliloquies about what a great hire SOD was, about how he would take Tennessee to the top of the SEC, and would stand a good chance of being Georgia’s next coach missed the mark by a bit."

AZ_Vol writes:

The only damned goal right now is to survive any new infractions the NCAA and SEC may impose on this university.

A bowl game is nice; but it isn't the priority.

jdt24boxer writes:

u have to b kidding, not a chance. let the coach search begin

jdt24boxer writes:

here is a wish list gruden, gundy, petrino,pease (oc at florida), strong, kelly from cincinnatti, and anyone else besdies dooley

BolivrBob writes:

The Vols will find a way to win tonight. We will see the best defensive effort of the season. We will then beat Kentucky and go to the WeedEater Bowl or some such. Dooley won't be fired because I don't think we can afford it. I don't even think Sal will be fired. I have heard from so many RELIABLE sources that Gruden is coming. Really RELIABLE sources of people who don't gossip and are not flakes. Just don't believe it will happen. Also have heard from VERY RELIABLE sources that Dooley will just step down after the Kentucky game. Don't believe that will happen either. This would have been such a fantastic season if we could have just played SOME defense... with just a little bit of defense I believe we would have won against Florida, Georgia, State, South Carolina and Missouri. As it ended up we needed "Home Cooking" clock management to beat Troy. The season looked so bright after NC State and has gone South ever since. It is what it is and I truly believe the entire staff will be back next season. Was getting excited about basketball and now we get our butts handed to us by the Cowboys. A totally embarrassing DRUBBING! Man am I depressed. ☻

jkleno#393970 writes:

Reliable source says VOLS will decline bowl invite EVEN if they beat Vandy and Kentucky. Dooley is done after KY regardless of wins or losses. New coach will be named prior to SEC championship game.

jobrando#216494 writes:

fire Dooley again just before the game and for the third time after.....

rocky_topper writes:

Vandy is already bowl eligible. Hard to believe Tennessee is the second best football program in the state. Glad we didn't play MTSU this year.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Hang in there Bob, I'm on the limb right beside you..lol.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CCLC:

For once I agree.

thevoice writes:

Is there any time left to buy-out this game?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to thevoice:

Is there any time left to buy-out this game?

I thought you criticized buying out fb games?

allvol8 writes:

in response to Millisa:

1st thing- Get Gruden 2nd- Aint going to no bowl

Gruden is NOT coming

pcshowtime writes:

this is a repost from last night.
I know a lot of you are like me and were watching ut lose to mizzu last week. Here is a link the Texas a&m vs bama.
Guys this is the type of offense we need. Due to our recruiting situation we are not going to be able to get the O line and RB to line up and out power bama, fl, or lsu. We need a up tempo offense with a running threat like Cam newton, tim teabow, or johnny football. Then go get a top 20 Defensive coordinator along the lines of justin wilcox maybe even better. Stay away from the 3-4 go back to traditional 4-3. The 4-3 is what kids coming out of high school are used to. Also if you will watch the video even the great Saban coached Defense had breakdowns in contain much like we did with Fl. I believe the 3-4 is prone to the run. In college football that is what you have to stop first. Anyway my 2 cents.

GloryDays writes:

I afraid it will be another loss. Poor coaching. Dooley is going to get his 5 million and he has wrecked the UT program. Upsetting, its getting personal. Dooley is a loser!

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Hey there, bob, I feel your pain, but strangely enough, I find myself almost becoming numb to it. Sure hope you're right in your prediction, but I just don't think so. I believe it will be close, but close games are so often decided by special teams, a critical penalty or turnover (LSU & NC and Vandy last year), or critical coaching decisions (MO last week). Bray & Co can certainly be explosive, but questionable play calling and inability to execute have stalled so many crucial drives. 7 pts. in the 2nd half of regulation last week without even a FG attempt does not speak well of an offensive consistency. Contrary to the fact that a lot of posters refer to the fact that it is STILL Vandy, I would submit that this is not my Daddy's Vandy. I honestly think that they have a stronger motivation and a much more confident mindset. If the BO can't get a couple of early scores and stops, then things could get ugly in the Music City. Remember, Vandy put up 40 on Ky, and neither MS nor MO did that. I will tune in, can't help myself, but to think that this could be UT's bowl game of the season is to say the least disappointing. Would be interesting to see if Worley makes an appearance.

tnvolfan30 writes:

One goal for some of you delusional fans is get Gruden out of your minds!! The koolaid has really distorted your views on the subject. God knows how organized your real lives are. :/

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

this is a repost from last night.

Where is UT's offense lacking other than a mobile QB? We need a defense..

SharpDressedMan writes:

in response to Vol_USArmy_Soldier:

Ignorant post. Stay in the military where there is a C.O. to make decisions for you.

Rock85 writes:

GRUDEN!!!! GRUDEN!!!!

pcorange writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

Or Memphis, UT Martin, APSU, UT Chattanooga, Bethel College, Milan High School. We'd probably lose to all of them.

Moesart writes:

I hope they don't go to a bowl game. I have seen enough and it's time to move on with a new coach. I don't need to see TN lose yet another game in the Who Cares Bowl.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Dooley didn't wreck this program, Fulmer/Kiffin did that. CDD was very close to turning this around and if not for the Wilcox/Sermon defections this would have been an excellent year.

pcorange writes:

in response to allvol8:

Gruden is NOT coming

You're right, because Hart has no intention of firing Dooley. There will not be a coaching vacancy to fill this offseason. Even if he does fire him, the extended probation will erase any hopes of a big-name coach coming here. Who wants to take over a team with back-to-back-to-back losing seasons when they have to contend with recruiting restrictions? The sub-mediocrity for the Big Orange continues for another four to five years at least. Dammit!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

Dude, you're out of your tree..Memphis lost to UTM for gosh sake.

Moesart writes:

It appears that the silly bring-back-Fulmer crowd has moved on to the fantasy of Jon Gruden coming to Knoxville. Gruden (Tony Dungy's D won that Super Bowl) was always an overrated coach anyway. Just because Gruden yells at some guys on ESPN doesn't mean he would be a good college head coach. geez

madrigal writes:

This team does not deserve a bowl bid. End of story. If they get one, it means there are too many bowls.

thevoice writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I thought you criticized buying out fb games?

Wrong guy. Now Go Vols.

pcorange writes:

in response to GreatGatorOfGainesville:

We had your sorry butts kicked this year had our defense not collapsed in the second half, followed by Tyler Bray getting pissed off and quitting midway through the third quarter. Oh, and over the history of the programs, UT has not been near the joke Florida has. How many undefeated seasons has Florida ever had? Oh, that's right. NONE! We'll be back, and you will still suck.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Where is UT's offense lacking other than a mobile QB? We need a defense..

I agree I just love what they are doing at A&m. I just knew many of you guys like me did not see the game and might want to watch it.

allvol8 writes:

in response to pcorange:

Yeah..thank you Lane "herpes" Kiffen

pcorange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Dude, you're out of your tree..Memphis lost to UTM for gosh sake.

I was just joking about the misery of the UT football program right now.

pcshowtime writes:

All you guys saying they will not fire dooley are nuttier than a fruit cake. The can not afford not to fire him. They will bring in someone new just for ticket sales. Also be honest it will not take much to do a better job than he did. He did not only not show any improvement. He found away to take a sec east contender and make it a door mat by switching the defensive scheme to a 3-4. He is toast.

You can not afford to keep him by the time assistants leave or are fired. You will have buyouts and new contracts negotiated. It will cost more to fire him next year rather than right now.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

I was just joking about the misery of the UT football program right now.

I was too, agreeing that UT would lose to all those teams except Memphis.

pcorange writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

I agree with you on most of your points. I just don't think it matters to Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek if we never win another game. As long as we are not a threat to UF or Bama, they are happy. They're getting a big paycheck, the teams they really root for are winning, and they don't care about UT. I don't see how Hart could have brought him back after the UK game last year, much less sit by and watch the debacle this season has been without saying a word. It means much more to him to show UT fans who is boss than it does for UT to win. We need a total housecleaning at UT. The only coaches who should be retained are Chaney, Graham, and Pittman.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

Those recruiting restrictions are nothing..In fact it only means some 2 star athlete won't get a free trip to Knoxville. Any coach other than Kiffin or Orgeron will easily maneuver around this slap on the wrist.

pcorange writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Agree, except for the kiddie name calling. Dooley = honorable man, bad coach. No way he should have had a third season after losing to Kentucky last year, but here we are again and here we will be this time next year unless Hart is fired and somebody that gives a damn about Tennessee takes his place. Fulmer for AD!

jt45 writes:

Yep making it to the charmin Bowl ought to really bring in some top recruits. Those still on the Dooley wagon can start holding their breath now.

I hope they win out for the sake of the players but Dooley still needs to go before it gets any worse. Judging by his record the last three years it probably will.

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

BS. The stupidest comment of the day.