FINAL: Tennessee loses to Vandy 41-18

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley pulls linebacker Jacques Smith off the field during the game against Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, Knoxville News Sentinel

NASHVILLE — There’s still Kentucky left, but Tennessee appeared to hit rock bottom Saturday night in a 41-18 drubbing at the hands of Vanderbilt.

The Commodores (7-4, 5-3) assured that the Vols (4-7) won’t go to a bowl game for the second consecutive year. That hasn’t happened since 1977-78.

Vandy’s first victory against Tennessee on its home field since 1982 also left UT 0-7 in SEC play for the first time ever.

Tyler Bray endured a miserable night at quarterback. Bray was 11-of-29 for 103 yards passing and threw two interceptions. He was relieved by Justin Worley in each half.

Bray’s 14-yard pass to Zach Rogers produced UT’s only first-half touchdown.

Cordarrelle Patterson’s 81-yard punt return accounted for the only second half touchdown.

The third quarter was a disaster for Tennessee as Vanderbilt scored three consecutive touchdowns to expand its lead to 34-10 against a listless UT offense.

After a three-and-out offensive possession UT punted and watched Vandy race 85 yards in three plays. Jordan Matthews scored on a 47-yard run on an end-around handoff.

Three plays later Bray thew an interception that Andre Hal returned to the UT 4. Wesley Tate passed 3 yards to Kris Kentera and Vandy led 27-10.

Byron Moore’s end-zone interception stopped one Commodore score but Vandy got it back when Zac Stacy ran 10 yards to make it 34-10 with 1:53 left in the half.

Tennessee did not have a first down in the quarter to that point. It finally got one on a determined 30-yard run by Marlin Lane, but soon turned the ball over on downs.

Matthews scored again in the fourth quarter on a 71-yard pass from Rodgers.

The half ended with Vanderbilt leading 13-10 as Tennessee’s defense outplayed the offense.

Besides Rogers’ TD catch,Michael Palardy added a 28-yard field goal with 14 seconds left in the half.

Both Bray and Worley threw interceptions that set up 10 Vanderbilt points. Bray’s pick led a 27-yard Carey Spear field goal that cut UT’s lead to 7-6.

Worley then took over, was intercepted by Hal and a 36-yard return set the Commodores up at the UT 17. On third-and-9 Jordan Rodgers hit Chris Boyd for an 11-yard touchown and a 13-7 lead.

Spear’s 19 yard field goal was the only score of the first quarter. Stacy raced 72 yards with a screen pass on the game’s first snap and was knocked out of bounds at the 5 by Prentiss Waggner. The Vols held and forced the field goal.

Bray was only 5 of 14 passing in the first quarter as Tennessee failed to capitalize on repeated stops by the defense.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ButchM1 writes:

What's there to say?

9krpms writes:

Hmmmm, this is a pretty low point, I'm willing to tithe 10% to the gruden fund.

TaylorJH writes:

Sorry it did not work out for Dooley. I hope he has more success at his next job. Where does UT go from here? Does anyone have any ideas about who the next coach will be?

grewupvolsfan writes:

Can we all start a tally for the money we all wasted on season tickets this year? $800 for my family, and oh, $40 for the padded seat that we ended up not using because most of our time was spent returning to the tailgate.

DavidB writes:

How many times can you hit rock bottom in 1 season? Just when you think we are at rock bottom there is another game. Can't wait for the report card. If not multiple F's I will be shocked

bamavolfan writes:

embarrassing!fire his a_ _

fan_for_life writes:

It is hard to believe this has happened in the past four years. Trying to hire a great new coach is going to be hurt by the lack of recruits and no bowl practice.

Supersayin1 writes:

Every Player on the Defense,and the staff needs to Apologize and say WE FAILED!!! We are the reason the Offense was put in the positions they have been put in.

Then Dooley needs to do the same for taking Bray out,and also for recruiting MAC players on Defense to play SEC football!!

Ohh well guys, thats our season!! Now whoever the new head coach is I hope you guys are happy because we will most likely LOSE for another 3 years!! Still GO VOLS till I die and beyond!!

Red_Runner writes:

Pretty embarrassing.

zippertom1 writes:

The Jimmy Carter of football coaching.

shawn1631 writes:

Kiffin ruined this program off the field and Dooley ruined it on the field

luke255#536431 writes:

We hire a coach who has never won a game against a ranked team and coming off a 4-8 season at La Tech and Hamilton hired him. Honestly what did you expect, anyway I think hopefully Hart will be making a statement of Doolittle getting the pink slip tonight!!

thevoice writes:

Dooley: breach of contract (did not coach in 2012)

vols_fan_n_tx writes:

GRUDEN!!!!!!

NeedForSpeed writes:

Could they be this bad if they were even trying to be bad?????

Have they made the announcement yet on the firings?

born2ride writes:

I am glad we lost.

Now we can get rid of Dooley.

tensie2004 writes:

I don't feel sorry for Dooley. He has made millions of dollars running our once proud football team into the ground and making us the laughing stock of the SEC. I will no long be happy with just firing Dooley. Anyone from the Pres. of the school to the athletic director who kept Dooley in place after the Kentucky game last year also needs to be shown the front door. I would not pay Dooley another penny, make he take us to court to get his buy out money. I feel very ashamed of our program right now and if I was a high school senior I would not want to play for the Vols UNLESS they get the TOP coach to come in here and turn this thing around.

papavol writes:

At this point, I'd take petrino without question. Dooley is the last of Mike Hamilton's failed experiments. Now get him the hell outta town.

markc2 writes:

EMBARRASING! No other words to describe it. Dooley must go.

vfl76 writes:

Let me help you with your article for tomorrow:

Quarterbacks F
Running backs F
Offensive Line F
Receivers F-
Defense (all) F
Coaching F- (one minus really isn't enough.

Poll Will the annoucement be made Sunday or Monday?

volfast40time writes:

hate to state the obvious but that was probably the worst game ut has played in the history of the program...anyone want to start a moving van fund for dooley, oh wait he can pay it with the millions in buyout $ we owe him.

monstermd writes:

I'm still trying to make sense of this. I mean I believe Dooley knows his fate already and is losing games on purpose. But then in the same breath I have to ask myself why would he cost himself future head coach opportunities? After looking at all the facts the logical conclusion I can come to is that Dooley really does not know how to coach.

volcop writes:

DEREK DOOLEY CONTINUES RECORD SETTING CAREER

Tru138 writes:

Someone deliver us from this evil. Amen.

Vol_For_Life writes:

First loss at Vandy since 1982. First loss to Kentucky in 26 years. Worst Defense in TN history. 0-7 in the SEC, 4-19 in 3 years. PITIFUL. We have regressed. At least in year 1 we made a bowl game. Dooley does not make any halftime adjustments and just doesn't make smart coaching decisions. Wish him well in his future endeavors, but get him out of here TONIGHT!

jacksontnbob writes:

I thought I'd seen the worst of UT football when we started 0-6 under Majors. But this is worse, far worse. Dooley is an embarrasment and a total loser.

imw8n4u writes:

Looks like Kiffin and crew might be available for hire. We could probably get that whole staff virtually free if they have contracts from USC that continue to pay the difference in salary.

cloudodust writes:

Let's take a breath. Relax. It's the spilt milk theory. Done. Toast. Finished. Tennessee gets to start anew. Some will say, 'bout time'. I say, Thanks CDD for attempting to get us out of the gutter LK and Mike Hamilton put us in. Let's see where this goes. I'm sure John Adams will give us his opinion. As for losing to Vandy, it's okay. At least somebody owns this state and it ain't Memphis...

markc2 writes:

If Dooley had any balls he would resign and forfiet the money. He sucks!

VolinCalif writes:

We had the size,the talent, the players,and yes I think we had the coaches. They just didn't fit together,nothing looked like a football team. It was more like watching a little league team play where they were just out to have a outing and fun, winning didn't really matter. I watched every game to the end, I was sure that some time the vol players would get mad and put up a real fight. Oh they played fair sometimes but I never really saw them put out that extra effort. They will win this years Org/Wht game.

Supersayin1 writes:

We can scream Gruden until we are Blue in the face, but until Tennessee makes some serious changes in who we recruit we are still gonna lose for the next two years!! Also with these wimps on Defense it doesn't matter who our coach is we will not win until the new recruits mature and are able to truly contribute, which could take years!! I just don't see a bright future for us atleast for the next 3 years! GO VOLS!!

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to vfl76:

Let me help you with your article for tomorrow:

Quarterbacks F
Running backs F
Offensive Line F
Receivers F-
Defense (all) F
Coaching F- (one minus really isn't enough.

Poll Will the annoucement be made Sunday or Monday?

Monday, as far as being totally public

volaholic45 writes:

The situation is crystal clear. The only mystery is whether Dooley is fired tomorrow, Monday, or next Sunday. No matter - got to make a solid hire . . . this time.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Only positive is that Dooley's fate is no longer in doubt (if it had been before the game)

We have talent, just need some good coaches.

Hart better not screw up this one as this might be the most important hire in UT history.

byrd writes:

Îf action is not taken to turn the ship around, then the AD and Chancellor need to go. How pathetic. An all time low in sports and the academic programs as well. I liked it when UT was a winner.

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

Dooley is a @&$? disaster - the worst coach in UT history in all sorts of stats. Shut up already with the "he inhereted a mess" excuses, he's a great guy, etc.. With three years at the helm, Dooley owns this abortion. This "great guy" doesn't have the honor or decency to resign. He'll take his buy out and spend the rest of his life on UT-sponsored welfare. There's your man of character Doolaid drinkers.

Hart do this before the UK game or join Doofus.

GloryDays writes:

Worst Tennessee team in history! No SEC wins, Dooley quit. He makes me sick! LOSER! Team was totally unprepared to play! Dooley is a thief, steals 2.5 million a year!

bierbrewer writes:

Where are the Dooley (and Bray) supporters now?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU?!

old54 writes:

I think Dooley and coaches need to stay on and earn their salary ( clean toilets, gutters, mow the lawn, ect, ect....

MikeNPS writes:

in response to tensie2004:

Tensie2004, Dooley did not run the program into the ground. The program was already run into the ground when Dooley arrived. He simply failed to raise it from that level.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

in response to vfl76:

Let me help you with your article for tomorrow:

Quarterbacks F
Running backs F
Offensive Line F
Receivers F-
Defense (all) F
Coaching F- (one minus really isn't enough.

Poll Will the annoucement be made Sunday or Monday?

Running backs B

Most embarrassing loss in my 44 years of attendance, with the possible exception of North Texas State game. Totally clueless

A true vol fan NEVER is glad to lose to vanderbilt in anything.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

Wow! TN got it handed to them. Congrats to Vandy on an impressive win and also a great season. Oh yeah, and if their was one thing Vandy was good at tonight it was kicking the SHAT out of TN.

UT2006 writes:

with each and every loss the gut wrenching is a little less... that is what bothers me the most, i am getting accustomed to losing

bamavolfan writes:

Dooley needs to walk back to knoxville.I would like to walk behind him and beat him with his own crutch!!!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to markc2:

If Dooley had any balls he would resign and forfiet the money. He sucks!

Would you? Didn't think so. Another stupid post.

underthehill writes:

To those of you who thought it was cute to ridicule Vandy (including Dooley and his video) does this help you see that no coach with class would ever show this type disrespect to an opponent..it can and did come back to haunt UT ..in case you didn't understand what happened in Nashville tonight..here is one..Vandy got a boost in recruiting..ESPN made sure of that..ESPN heaped praise on Franklin and the number of 4 star prospects he had visiting..

vfl76 writes:

in response to vfl76:

Let me help you with your article for tomorrow:

Quarterbacks F
Running backs F
Offensive Line F
Receivers F-
Defense (all) F
Coaching F- (one minus really isn't enough.

Poll Will the annoucement be made Sunday or Monday?

I left the Kicking Team out, which it would have gotten a B or C until that sorry pass that he tried on that fake punt, drop the kicking game down to a D....probably the only bright spot on the team.

IdahoVol writes:

in response to tensie2004:

Get a life. Dooley did not run the program in the ground. He just couldn't get us turned around from the mess he inherited. He did recruit some good players. The next coach will have MUCH more to work with than Dooley did. Hate that Dooley couldn't get it done. Go Vols!

bierbrewer writes:

in response to doctorvol#211700:

Running backs B

A true vol fan NEVER is glad to lose to vanderbilt in anything.

Lane was a B. Neal sucked as usual.

caverunner writes:

Tell me again how lucky we are to have CDD as our coach at UT and how we should give him at least one more year! lol