Third quarter: Vanderbilt 34, Tennessee 10

Tennessee linebacker Herman Lathers tries to hold Vanderbilt running back Zac Stacy close to the goal line at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

NASHVILLE — The third quarter was a disaster for Tennessee as Vanderbilt scored three touchdowns to expand its lead to 34-10 against a listless UT offense.

After a three-and-out offensive possession, UT punted and watched Vandy race 85 yards in three plays. Jordan Matthews scored on a 47-yard run on an end-around handoff.

Three plays later, Tyler Bray thew an interception that Andre Hal returned to the UT 4. Wesley Tate passed 3 yards to Kris Kentera and Vandy led 27-10.

Byron Moore's end-zone interception stopped one Commodore score but Vandy got it back when Zac Stacy ran 10 yards to make it 34-10 with 1:53 left in the period.

Tennessee did not have a first down in the quarter to that point. It finally got one on a determined 30-yard run by Marlin Lane, but soon turned the ball over on downs.

The half ended with Vanderbilt leading 13-10 as Tennessee's defense outplayed the offense.

Tennessee's only touchdown was a 14-yard pass from Bray to Zach Rogers. Michael Palardy added a 28-yard field goal with 14 seconds left in the half.

Both Bray and Justin Worley threw interceptions that set up 10 Vanderbilt points. Bray's pick led a 27-yard Carey Spear field goal that cut UT's lead to 7-6.

Worley then took over, was intercepted by Andre Hal and a 36-yard return set the Commodores up at the UT 17. On third-and-9 Jordan Rodgers hit Chris Boyd for an 11-yard touchown and a 13-7 lead.

Spear's 19 yard field goal was the only score of the first quarter. Stacy raced 72 yards with a screen pass on the game's first snap and was knocked out of bounds at the 5 by Prentiss Waggner. The Vols held and forced the field goal.

Bray was only 5 of 14 passing in the first quarter as Tennessee failed to capitalize on repeated stops by the defense.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tedstryker1980 writes:

Dooley just needs two or maybe three more years. He inherited a dumpster fire. No one else wanted the job and he was the only one who wanted UT's money. He cannot make the catches and tackles. It would be unfair not to give him another contract extension with an even larger buyout.

LaneBrains writes:

Monte, Ed and I would be interested in a return engagement. We're a bit worried, seems Hammy phone number has changed!

CLK, Monte and Ed

Lifelongvolsfan writes:

If Dooley isnt fired someone needs to search his office for the nude pictures he must have of Mike Hart

GloryDays writes:

Dooley has never done anything in his stinking life, he got it because of his dad's name. He has his mommy to stand up for him. Dooley is a baby, Mike Hamilton picked a loser, and they both got rich! This makes me sick! Dooley is a stinking loser!

tulelakevol writes:

I would love to see Bray b_!$&* slap Dooley, and walk to the locker room. That's were we are right now. Pitiful.

GloryDays writes:

41-10 Dooley and this team quit. Loser! Dooley needs to be fired and have his butt kicked! Don't pay him that 5 million since he quit! Loser! Pathetic!

RckytopQB16 writes:

41 - 10 against vandy. I'm not even sure how to react anymore.

alavol writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

get Bobby now before Auburn lock him up! I am tired of this shat!

DandridgeVol writes:

Bray is benched again. P*ss on the fire and call in the dogs, its over boys...

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

Fire the bum!

~Barbara D.

volfan1202 writes:

Announce Gruden as new head coach tomorrow morning!

RckytopQB16 writes:

Dooley continues to set records. Nothing positive but we will never forget his tenure with the Vols.

Sholmey1221 writes:

"I'm Derek Dooley, and I deserve to keep my job because..."

Give it your funniest shot, peoples.

Volorgasm writes:

So, how does that coaching stability look now? Dooley couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. But, I guess this is what you get when a proud Tennessee program hires a Georgia idiot to run the football team and then hires an Alabama wimp to supervise him. At this point I really do hope the world ends on Dec. 21st. Then I wont have to endure any more of this !

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Down by 25, Dopey goes for two. Sickening!! Get off the field Dooley. You dont deserve to wear the Power T.

Volorgasm writes:

in response to Sholmey1221:

"I'm Derek Dooley, and I deserve to keep my job because..."

Give it your funniest shot, peoples.

. . ., I really would like to learn more about this game they call football.

bigdaddy37821 writes:

Fire Dooley, TONIGHT, NOT TOMORROW, NOT NEXT WEEK, TONIGHT! Tell him do not come back to campus your stuff will be shipped to you.

RckytopQB16 writes:

Only fitting that the best player on this team can't figure out how to run a route. Do the Vols beat Kentucky?

VolFan_InFlorida writes:

in response to RckytopQB16:

41 - 10 against vandy. I'm not even sure how to react anymore.

Ditto

roanecovol writes:

It's the 4th quarter, and I find myself rooting for Vandy. They are much more my kind of team than our bunch of losers. They are well coached, play with passion and discipline. Go Vandy and by the way, thanks John Adams for leading the slanderous railroading of CPF.

RckytopQB16 writes:

in response to Volorgasm:

. . ., I really would like to learn more about this game they call football.

I'm endearing to the fan base because I wear orange pants. Besides, you really don't want to upset my mom.

SandySpringsVol writes:

in response to Volorgasm:

Dooley went to UVA, not Georgia. Idiot.

Volorgasm writes:

in response to RckytopQB16:

Only if Tennessee hires a new coaching staff, teaches the defense how to tackle, and hopes that Kentucky doesn't put a wide receiver in as the QB.

Volorgasm writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Dooley went to UVA, not Georgia. Idiot.

I wasn't talking about where he went to school, jerkweed, I was talking about where he was from.

byrd writes:

Change Knoxville to Loserville. The university has sunk to an all time low in everything, not just sports. UTL.

VolinVirginia writes:

in response to roanecovol:

So, am I to assume that you are a bigger CPF fan than a Vol?

gwh_1947 writes:

I have mixed emotions on Dooley. He inherited a disastrous program from Kiffin, for which UT continues to pay as the NCAA today extended its probation to 2015, reduced the number of official visits to four, and allows for no visits during the first two games of the season where recruits are treated to a Vol win. Even the assistant under Kiffin (Cruz?) has a show cause restriction to him for two more years. Dooley did clean up the program, which under Fullmer became the Knox County Jail All Stars. Remember, Georgia wanted Mike Richt to be chased out of town, now he has the Dawgs poised to beat Aladambama in the SEC Bowl.

Orangeblood64 writes:

This is the bottom... just got our hat handed to us by vandy. Makes you wonder is the world ending in 2012..lol

olecountryboy writes:

Been a Vol fan all my life and my ENTIRE family as well, and this is the worst I have ever seen UT. We are FAR from the days of TN beating Miami in the 86 Sugar bowl or the 98 NC. They dont even look like they want to be there. Its sad really.

alavol writes:

in response to volfan1202:

Announce Gruden as new head coach tomorrow morning!

forget about Gruden, get Bobby, we need a kick butt coach! Where have you been hiding the safety? This is the first time I turned off the game 9 minutes before the end of the game. I would not use a ticket if someone gave me one.
Metallurgical Engr. '62, Estabrook

alavol writes:

in response to volfan1202:

Announce Gruden as new head coach tomorrow morning!

Forget about Gruden, get Bobby, we need a kick butt coach! Where have you been hiding the safety? This is the first time I turned off the game 9 minutes before the end of the game. I would not use a ticket if someone gave me one.
Metallurgical Engr. '62, Estabrook

roanecovol writes:

in response to VolinVirginia:

So, am I to assume that you are a bigger CPF fan than a Vol?

I have been a Vol fan since the 1940's (before CPF was even born) but I don's consider this team a Tennessee Volunteer team. This team is a result of what happens when we let someone like John Adams and his henchmen at KNS and a few callers on talk radio go after our coach and get him fired.

SandySpringsVol writes:

in response to Volorgasm:

Assuming that you're not just doing a quick CYA (which you probably are), where he was born has nothing to do with anything. Nor does the fact that his father was a good coach, because that's clearly not a genetic trait that was passed from father to son.

OwensboroVol writes:

How long must we suffer. The performance by the team tonight was terrible. They certainly were not playing for their Coaches Job. If Dave Hart cannot pull the trigger on this, fire him and get someone in here who can!

olecountryboy writes:

The real question is who would Tn go get if they did fire dooley? Would Patterson, Gruden, Strong, leave their cushy situations to try and do something special at TN? The money being tossed around on TOS to get gruden is up there. TOS saying 8 years 51 Million. And another 4 Million per year for assistants. Can UT afford to pay that much for Gruden? Or is it that they cant afford not to? Empty seats will cost the University ALOT of money.

VolinVirginia writes:

in response to roanecovol:

Fulmer got himself fired. "John Adams and his henchmen at KNS and a few callers on talk radio" don't have sufficient clout to get a coach fired. It was his inability to get us out of the SEC East.

This IS a "Tennessee Volunteer team." Being a fan means you support them in the bad years too, so don't bail on them simply because you believe Phil got a raw deal. If you have been a fan since the 1940's, then I am not telling you anything you don't already know.

Volorgasm writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Not a CYA at all. I was speaking symbolically, a concept you seem to be unable to grasp. I realize that where Doofus grew up, really has nothing to do with how inept he is as a coach. And I also realize that even though Hart came to TN from Alabama that that really has nothing to do with his ability to be an effective AD. But you have to admit that, given the state of the TN program, A true, life-long Tennessee fan might call these into question. I wonder how General Neyland would feel about this?

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Dooley went to UVA, not Georgia. Idiot.

I had it pointed out to me a couple of days ago after I made the same remark - Slit-for-brains got his undergraduate degree from UVA, but got his law degree from Jawja. Hope he drowns in the spit of the fanbase.