Current, former Vols react to Derek Dooley's firing

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley leaves the field after the loss to Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. Vanderbilt defeated Tennessee 41-18. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Twitter reaction from current and former Tennessee players on coach Derek Dooley's firing:

Current Vols

Corey Alexander@coreyralexander (Sr., DB)

As I enter my final week as a Vol my heart is heavy. Pain surrounds me, but there is hope for the future. Forever a Volunteer #senior #VFL

Tyler Drummer@tdrum12 (Jr., WR)

Truly thankful for the opportunities Dooley has given me! I pray and hope for the best for him and his family! #VFL

Herman Lathers@HermanLathers34 (Sr., LB)

Strength does nt come from winning! U'r struggles develop ur strengths! Wen u go through hardships n decide nt 2 surrender, that's strength!

Justin Meredith@cjmeredith82 (Fr., TE)

I just want to thank Dooley for giving me the opportunity to be a Vol! My best wishes go to him and his family.

Byron Moore@bmoore3vfl (Jr., DB)

Would of never thought back in the summer the season would turn out this way..gotta finish it right for the seniors one more time at home

Danny O'Brien@dandiesel13 (Fr., DL)

This just aint a good weekend for me

Nathan Peterman@NatePeterman (Fr., QB)

#VFL

Alan Posey@CozyPosey67 (Fr., OL)

A HUGE thank you to Coach Dooley for all he has done for me. For believing in me that I could play at UT. Wish him nothing but the best.

Mychal Rivera@MychalRivera (Sr., TE)

I'm A #VFL And That's What Matters

Former Vols

Erik Ainge@ErikAinge3 (2004-07, QB)

Bye bye Dooley

Jonathan Crompton@jcromp8 (2006-09, QB)

I will be at the game on Sat but I was going no matter who the coach is! Hope yall were doing the same for OUR Vols! It's about the players!

Leonard Little@DBL_L_01 (1995-97, DE)

No excuses for not coming to the game. Let this team know its #VFL and u support them not matter what. Win,lose or draw

Shane Reveiz@Rane_Sheveiz30 (2009-11, LB)

Now I'm def going Sat. for support for my bros. Glad to see a change. Go Vols

Donte' Stallworth@DonteStallworth (1999-2001, WR)

Thanks to Derek Dooley and his staff for trying to restore prestige to our football program. Hopefully we can get back to glory soon #GoVols

Chris Walker@cwalk8432 (2007-10, DE)

We need some leaders to emerge in our program right now! Who will keep it together through the trial?! We all need to help pull it through!

Rock85 writes:

EXPECTTOWIN writes:

GO VOLS!

LovinMyVols writes:

Interesting differences between current and former players. At least the unemployed lawyer taught them to be politically correct.

Anyway. Thanks for trying Derek. It was obvious you tried your best. Sadly, it was also obvious that you were in over your head. I still believe that in 5 or 6 years you will make some team a really good head coach.

kjvols writes:

Back to Saban they go with big orange checks

queensryche1986 writes:

djohnnyg writes:

Yeah. Saban is coming. That's a good one.

My thought is why fire the guy if you don't know where u are headed yet, or who you want, or feel you have a good shot at getting the right guy?

Dooley's record showed he was not the right guy, but unless you KNOW you've got someone better you may as well keep him until you do.

Alot of the commitments are now shaky about UT and that is a bad thing.

You have to get a HEAVY HITTER recruiter in here asap.

That is the most important thing.

If not...you may as well have Austin Peay's HC cuz u aren't gonna win squat without the talent....period.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I like that the former players (not former Vols) are keeping it real. It isn't about the coach. It's about the players, and they need support more than ever right now. It is tough to get motivated after your coach is canned -- remember Wyoming? They don't need an empty stadium Saturday. They need people there cheering the seniors on their final gameday.

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

Ainge was a dud as a player. Remember that play against LSU? One of the most bonehead i've ever seen.
I believe the drugs have taken their toll on his sorry butt. He needs to look at himself before casting stones at someone else.

darbhoo writes:

in response to CantCompare:

Strange how people view things. You agreed with Ainge, and my first thought was, "Punk". Who we are and where we were headed has much to do with disrespect shown by so-called Vols fans.

Sometimes it is better to remain silent and have people think you are a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Go Vols!!!!

in response to FulmerDestoyedUT:

Classy indeed, but somewhat surprising coming from a guy who introduces--or introduced; not sure he is still in the NFL--himself on Sunday and Monday night games by identifying his high school or junior high. I don't think I have ever heard him say he played at Tennessee.