David Climer: Loss to Vanderbilt will seal Derek Dooley's fate

Vanderbilt's Johnell Thomas celebrates after the win over Tennessee at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. Vanderbilt defeated Tennessee 41-18. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

— Add yet another entry to the list of things Derek Dooley has gotten so very wrong since his arrival at Tennessee.

After beating Vanderbilt in overtime last season, Dooley was caught on video uttering those words that shall live in infamy:

“The one thing Tennessee always does is kick the (bleep) out of Vandy.”

Wrong again, Coach.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

Exiled writes:

Last year, the offense got worse as the season progressed. This year it was the dfense. I liked Dooley, but it really is time to move on.

bierbrewer writes:

I thought I'd come to this site this morning and see the coaching staff had been let go. Sigh...

HtownVol writes:

I will never understand why Dooley teams would come out of halftime in a game then roll over and take it in the back door for the second half.

I am not joking when I say doodles halftime speech goes...
"Good game guys"
One of the best offenses in the country can't score on an average vandy defense. That says the team didn't care to play for Dooley, especially beat. Brat joked about Dooleys job security and then played the worst game of his career.

I really am wanting to refresh this site and see "Dooley fired"
Don't wait, do it today

mikec1000000 writes:

memo to Mr. Hart: Go ahead and fire him now. Don't let him have the field on Saturday either. Strap some orange pants on Smokey and let him coach the UK game. If anything, his barking would be more emotional than the blank stares that Dooley gives now. This is beyond an embarassment.

SavTnVol writes:

Gawd NO, anything besides those orange pants...PLEEEEEZE! Get rid of them too

KFDLaw writes:

I knew the moment that Mike Hamilton hired Dooley that he was not the man for the job. He had a losing record at a MAC school, was the only Saban assistant who never got a promotion to a coordinator and appeared to get the job based upon his last name. However, I had hope for the young man whose father is a football legend. Now, some three years later, it is apparent to everyone that he is inept at his chosen profession. His comments after the game remind me of those of an old lawyer who I once knew in Atlanta. Charlie lost case after case, but he would always say, "I almost won that one." I have been a UT fan since the early 1950s, and I don't think I have ever observed a coach who was worse than Derek Dooley. Hart should have fired Dooley after last year's loss at Kentucky. When Dooley gets his 5 million in installments, he had better save most of it. He is going to need it while he changes professions. No AD in their right mind would hire him after the season he has been through at UT. I am sure Dooley is a nice guy, but he appears to have no talent at all as a football coach. Goodbye Coach Dooley. We will never forget your body of work in Knoxville.

Madkels writes:

After last week, I thought they should let him finish the season and not fire him until they had ink to paper on his replacement. But after that junk last night, I say do in NOW!

BigOrangeRock writes:

in response to Exiled:

You are an idiot for liking that idiot.

The rock has spoken.

BigOrangeRock writes:

Now where are all the posters parading DOOLEAVE around like they did in September... They are not even posting now. Were they even Vol fans at all???

Some of us KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

HIRE FULMER BACK.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

in response to KFDLaw:

There's always room at Ringling Bros.for a clown so heads up Dooley.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Same headline and story I've read for 4 weeks in a row..Don't know who's more lame the writers or the coaches!! I 100% guarantee Adams duplicates this same BS Monday morning..Heard enough of the obvious.. Move On!

CCLC writes:

It began with the “proper shower detail” and was soon followed by Opportunityisnowhere, bamboo growing, the orange ceramic spaniel dog, and Babs defending her precious on the radio. Along the way player discipline was thrown out. Assistants abandoned the T for job security at other schools. Puerto Rican prom pants because the fall fashion statement for a UT head coach. Then the season’s pressure became so great inducing a stress fracture that required hip surgery. Yes SOD has a golden parachute like a Wall Street banker. He will soon be riding that gravy train out of Knoxvegas on plump cat head biscuits. I can’t help but think he would gladly exchange some of that gold he mined in them hills for a few more Ws and a much more pristine Wiki reference to his tenure. He just was not ready for prime time. The SEC will chew you up and spit you out.

volsmith writes:

IMO Jimmy Cheek and Dave Hart are trying to save money by firing coaches and running others off, so I can't see them spending a lot of money and hiring a quality coach. I do think it is time for a coaching change, but have no idea who I would like to see hired as the next UT head coach.

tovolny writes:

GOMER CLIMER...KISS MY ORANGE PANTS!!!!!!!!!!

But I guess you do know what being the WORST at something is all about. HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE THE WOOORRRRSSSSSTTTTT sportswriter (and biggest fabricator) in the history of American sports? Just think, Tennessee football will rise again, BUT GOMER CLIMER will never, never, never rise up anywhere near mediocrity.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, ALICE, ONE OF THESE DAYS.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Some of us KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

HIRE FULMER BACK.

Why in heavens name would anyone want Fulmer back? This down turn with the football program started on his watch and has just gotten worse. Fulmer got lazy, brought in subpar recruits that should not have been in the SEC. Dooley needs to go today along with Hart and the rest of the staff (worst coaching job in Tennessee football history, bring in Sal was the worset DC ever. This team never showed any fire and no signs of wanting to win. Dooley looked someone who did not have a clue, he was dead on the sidelines, heaven knows what he talked about at half time. He should not be allowed to coach the Kentucky game as he should have been fired when he got off of the bus. And I thought Bill Battle was bad.

1of6 writes:

I say hire Petrino. Buy him a new motorcycle, hire a blond bimbo to keep him company and "Win Baby Win."

grandtad#1402265 writes:

Now! GO VOLS!

SummittsCourt writes:

this will be another complete start over. If you think it was bad 3 years ago wait until next year. The big 3 on offense will be gone too. No way they stick around unless they hire a proven offensive guru.

Last year UT had the #28th ranked defense, this year they are 111th - have given up at least 38 in 7 straight games and can't stop anyone in the second half - the defense will not be good next year either.

Hunker down fans, it's going to be a long time before UT is competitive in the NFLish SEC again.

kennypowers writes:

Has anyone asked James Franklin why they were celebrating like they just beat the defending national champions? They just beat a team that is 0-7 in the SEC.

Tru138 writes:

Sunseri was spot on when he said nothing was going to change.

Colliervol writes:

His fate was sealed weeks ago. Congrats to Vandy as they were the better team last night and much better prepared. And that's OK. Vandy is allowed to be better than UT every 30 years or so. With all due respect to them though, they beat a UT team that was barely there in the first half and ultimately quit at halftime. No big shock to me. One would think that they would have at least tried a little but realistically there wasn't a lot left to play for other than a second rate bowl game. Certainly not for a lame duck coach. No reason for Hart to wait any longer. Pull the trigger today and get it over with.

chad954ut writes:

Where is Dave Hart ?

SevenT writes:

Dooley needs more time to prove himself. You can't walk into a mess and fix it overnight. In order to be fair he needs 5-7 years to see what he can do. This is a bad football team and it will not be any better next year.

Lock that Up

tensie2004 writes:

former tennessee coach Doug Matthews said on his talk show out of Nashville this morning that at this point it really does not matter who we bring in as our new head coach because Tennessee has bigger problems that just the coaching. He hinted that there were problems much higher up in the athletic department as well as from the administration at the university. Until these problems are brought out IN THE OPEN and solved changing coaches will help but will not solve the overall problems with our football program. Dooleu needs to be fired today, Hart needs a good calling on the carpet from the trustees, and Cheek might need to be replaced. Tennessee football is a BUSINESS and business is not good right now. Get rid of the dead weight from the coaching staff to any and all administrators that are not trying to solve this problem. As I said three weeks ago, for our athletic director not to come out and inform the Vol Nation what is going on is an outright slap in the face of all Vol fans that love the University of Tennessee. One last thing that Doug said was it was the people that are running the university that is killing our football program. Iam very ashamed, embarrassed, and mad as hell at what Cheek and Hart has set back and allowed, yes allowed, to happen to this storied, historic, and proud ole football program. This might not help but if you love Tennessee football CALL your state rep. and senator and tell them of your displeasure at how our university is being run. All they can say is sorry I can not help you but they can.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to kennypowers:

what an idiotic statement questioning this after their 30 years of losses-----------you dont think our guys will be celebrating so if they were to luck into a win against Kentucky?

VolsLegacy1970 writes:

Since Hart hired Dooley, and well over-paid him to boot...the solution to the problem is simple...fire them both! It is important to take out all of the trash when you clean house! GO BIG ORANGE! We want a proven winner, not a proven loser!

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

The problems at the University of Tennessee and the football program start at the top. It's been bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. What administration in their right mind hires a football coach with Dooley's track record and then writes in a disclaimer that he'll get $5,000,000,000 along with his walking papers if he can't do the job which he never proved he could do in the first place. Ya Hamilton got all the credit for that steller buisness decision, but it was approved way above his pay grade. And then the rock solid Sunseri hire. Top dollar contract with no job experience and another promise of a fabulous parting gift. Do you think the admin guys lose a lot of sleep after they sit in their sky box's sipping cocktails every home game. I'll bet not. No problem, just pass it on to the students tuition fees and life long die hard Vol fans. Changes need to be made you bet your butt, but start at the top like any buisness in trouble would do.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

That second part is funny, sad but funny.

GBO - Stop the slide at seven, BEAT Ky & start over.

shawn1631 writes:

Kiffin ruined this program off the field and Dooley ruined it on the field.

JDX47 writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

Nice zinger at the end. As much as I love the Vols, I am so frustrated that your witty comment made me chuckle. Thanks for the laugh this morning yabadaba...this has been a year with very few of those to be had for us bottom-feeding SEC teams.

Guess Dooley was wrong....they do have UT to kick around after all.

BigOrangeJoe writes:

Can't wait to see Dooley gone.

pcorange writes:

With all due respect, Mr. Climer, you guys have been saying that every game since the Mississippi State game. Hart doesn't give a damn what you think or what Tennessee fans think. If he does fire Dooley, and I'm not so sure he will, it will be on his timetable. He is intent on proving that you and I have no say in this whatsoever. I really think he will keep him.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

I've been a Vol Fan for 56 years now, can't remember a lower time for this program. Dooley is probably looking foward to getting fired, and getting paid as well. He gave it his best shot, just could not get it done. Good luck to him and his family, let's stay classy Vols!

Millisa writes:

Fire Dooley NOW Fire Hart too Pat Summitt for AD and Get Gruden Do Whatever It Takes To Get Him Here.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to VolsLegacy1970:

I don't know which post was the most stupid. This one or the one wondering why Vandy celebrated so much after beating the VOLS at home for the first time in 30 years...maybe this one!..Hey duffus, have you figured out, by all the old post on here, that Hart DIDN'T hire CDD? CDD was hired by Hamilton dumb dumb..think (or reaserch) before you type.

AZ_Vol writes:

The Vol press is the absolute worst sports reporting organization in the entire country. Their reputation is well earned.

Herbert Spencer coined the phrase, "Survival of the fittest."

Climer and Adams are freaks of nature, for they are too incompetent to continue working in their industry.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

Maybe Tennessee and Auburn could pony up and create their own post season game. Not really a bowl game. Just something to see which one is really the most pathetic, disappointing team in the SEC. (But leave the head coach's at home)

JohnnyVol writes:

Dooley will be gone. The verdict is out, in my opinion, on Hart.

If Hart were gone, I would like to see Fulmer as A.D. I thought that years ago.

Also, prior to Lane Kiffin, I posted on this site that Charlie Strong and Brian Kelly needed to be in our radar. Hmmm....wonder how that would turn out?

So far, we've gotten Hart, Dooley and Sunseri from Alabama. Let's stop doing that please.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I am not joking when I say doodles halftime speech goes...
"Good game guys"

I really am wanting to refresh this site and see "Dooley fired"
Don't wait, do it today

Yeah, they made statements last week like "I get paid to play"..Well, you sure as h3ll should refund that money, pathetic effort. I can't see how CDD should even lead this team on the field again. He has lost all control/respect of this team, and they have completely quit. What a bunch of quitters/losers. There is no way I would draft Bray,Hunter or Patterson after that gut check.

pcorange writes:

in response to kennypowers:

James Franklin and his team earned the right to celebrate last night. They completely dominated us, kicked sand in our faces. After Dooley's little "we always kick the s--- out of Vanderbilt" in the locker room last season after getting our only SEC win of the year, in overtime, I think Franklin's group came out and earned the right to be happy. He is head and shoulders a better coach than Dooley, and his success in his two seasons there at a basketball school speaks volumes about his potential as a coach. If he stays at Vandy, they will be a big time contender 5 years from now. He is doing what Dooley can't do, improving his team.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Millisa:

You're an idiot..PS has a disease that won't allow her to make financial decisions about paying light bills much less the entire budget of the athletic dept.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to SevenT:

Lock that Up

We will keep that under consideration Momma Dooley.

traderjoe writes:

Well, here's some good news...at least TN didn't have Arkansas ST. on their schedule because they beat Troy State by more than TN did...so we lucked out on the scheduling...it's always helpful to know it could've been worse.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to JohnnyVol:

Dooley will be gone. The verdict is out, in my opinion, on Hart.

If Hart were gone, I would like to see Fulmer as A.D. I thought that years ago.

Agreed. I think Fulmer would make an outstanding AD. He loves the University and more importantly he's not a card carrying alum of one of Tennessee's most despised rival's. But, it's makes way too much sense to think that way and the current administration stopped making sense a long time ago. And look where we are now. Massive debt and still looking for solutions. But at least the University president got a nice bump last week. Couldn't quite make ends meet at $400,000.00 a year I guess.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

Dooley is the most loved coach ever to coach along the Tennessee sideline if you are a player, coach, or fan of one of the other SEC teams......or Dooley's Momma.

OKVOL24 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good thing you are not an NFL GM. Just pass up on three of the most talented players in the nation.

govols1234567 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I am not joking when I say doodles halftime speech goes...
"Good game guys"

I really am wanting to refresh this site and see "Dooley fired"
Don't wait, do it today

Going into this game, Vandy's Defense was ranked 15th in points allowed. That's no excuse for getting blown out like that, but that is well above average

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Herm Edwards.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

While awaiting the inevitable announcement from the AD, I couldn't help but be reminded of a story I once read. A husband and wife are lying in bed when the wife turns to her man, smiles, and says, "Tonight, I'm going to make you the happiest man in the world." The husband looks at her and says simply, "I'm going to miss you." CDD and most of his staff probably aren't going to be missed, but the problem I have with so many of the posts is the vitriolic and juvenile namecalling being hurled at Dooley. In some ways, I admire the fact that he was able to parlay a very suspect resume, very limited experience, a losing record, but a promising pedigree into a lucrative multi-million dollar venture that would make most of us financially secure for life. While others were offered the job and declined, he took it and he gave it his best shot. While it was obvious from the outset that he was not ready to challenge the SEC elite, most of the fanbase understandably were willing to demonstrate both support and patience in the slight hope that with a little time he would be the one to get the job done. He tried and he failed and will be royally compensated for his efforts. But to villify the man who was willing to come here and face some monumental, although not insurmountable, challenges, is to me a disgrace to the integrity of the majority of the UT fanbase. Even though I, like many of you, felt that LK betrayed UT, he was after all offered his dream job, just as Brian Kelley was offered while he was coaching Cinci to an unbeaten season. As painful as it is for so many of us to witness this agonizing fall from the lofty heights of gridiron glory that seems like such a distant memory, I can only begin to imagine the anguish the coaches, players and their families must be feeling at this time. At the end of the day, nobody has died; it is what it is; and the sun has come up on another glorious day. And the sun will shine on the BO nation again as well. I just hope I'm still alive to see it.

pcorange writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

If we keep Dooley, or if we make another terrible hire, you're right. However, there are coaches out there right now that we can get that would be able to take this roster and only have 1 or 2 losses this season. We aren't that bad talent wise, we are just horribly coached. I'm not saying we have the raw talent that Florida or Bama has, but a decent coach would've won the Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State, and South Carolina games this year WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAVE. Once we start winning some of the games we aren't supposed to win, recruits will take notice and our tradition, facilities, and game day atmosphere will help to pull them in. We will be back, if Hart doesn't screw this up.