Poll: Who should Tennessee go after as its next coach?

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley leaves the field after the Volunteers lost 51-48 to Missouri in four overtimes at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Who should Tennessee go after as its next coach?

Who should Tennessee go after as its next coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tablet and iPad users can click here to vote.

Moesart writes:

It won't be Gruden. Get a clue already. It's more likely Bill Battle will come back.

BufordTJustice writes:

Leonard "Sleepy" Sedgewick

volsmith writes:

None of the above! Maybe Gruden, but none of the rest.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Don't understand why Charlie Strong is not on the list. He appears to be our best realistic option, in my opinion. I don't see the UT job as being that attractive right now. How could you realisticly expect to lure a Jon Gruden or Bob Stoops, unless you were prepared to offer a very long term contract with a guarantee of tens of millions of dollars? I really don't think UT is in position to do that. It seems to me that we will be forced to give OJT to a position coach (which seems to have worked out for Florida) or elevate a "proven" head coach (not a WAC coach with a losing record) from a lesser conference.

govols0463 writes:

I like all of 'em. I'm serious.

sarg38#287176 writes:

Gruden will be gone with the 1st NFL offer. Charlie Strong is the best option we have.

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to sarg38#287176:

Why is that? Gruden doesnt have to come to UT he could go to the NFL now.

grobin4300 writes:

The list should be: 1. Tressel (who wants to redeem himself), 2. Bob Stoops, 3. John Gruden, 4. Chris Petersen, 5. Mark Hudspeth, (Louisiana Lafayette - young, energetic /w Louisiana ties to recruits)

VolsVolsVols writes:

in response to grobin4300:

Tressel would do a good job, but his show-cause NCAA sanctions will follow him to a new school, so I highly doubt he would be considered.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Gruden is already plenty rich. If it's true that he wants to get back into coaching, Tennessee wouldn't be a bad location. For Gruden, this would be a great addition to his legacy. He would be the guy that took a struggling team with a proud history and got them back on track. From what I've seen of him on TV, he really just loves the game of football.

If we don't pull Gruden, then we really need someone like him. We need a big name professional coach that will pull in recruits, immediately. I'm not familiar with UT's financial woes, but it's time to double down on another loan from the bank, beg Haslam for money, and get a coach that can run with Saban and Spurrier. As Vols fans, we should demand nothing less!

Vols_fan_27 writes:

Gruden is not going to happen... He will land in San Diego or back in Philadelphia if he desires to coach again. My vote is for Charlie Strong... Really wish there was some way to lure Franklin away from Vandy because he is one heck of a coach but he is pretty committed to what he is doing there... GBO!

Vols_fan_27 writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

A .540 win percentage is hardly a legacy... just sayin'. I think he would help recruiting but only by his name. There is no other evidence that says he will be a garuanteed success at the collegiate level.

sksimon#207586 (Inactive) writes:

How about Phil Bennett, Defensive Coordinator for Baylor

holen1 writes:

Absolutely no way you can hire Al Golden . He has a "LOSING" record. It would be just like the Dooley hire. No way you can sell that to your fan base!

indyssee writes:

I hope Kirby Smart gets in the discussion more.

holen1 writes:

in response to indyssee:

I hope Kirby Smart gets in the discussion more.

No Kirby Smart. Hart said he wants someone with head coaching experience & I totally agree. Need a proven winner.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to holen1:

I can't see how Golden got the UM gig..A Temple coach with marginal success doesn't mean you could cut it in the SEC..A Golden hire would be Dooley-esque.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to indyssee:

I hope Kirby Smart gets in the discussion more.

Smart should have been the hire in 09' when CDD cam on board..Now UT can't take a gamble on an up and coming coach.

RealisticUTfan writes:

(IMO) the program won't make a quick comeback, unless Hart makes a big splash with this hire. Hardest thing to do now will be reversing the negative momentum around the program...and BIG MO will require a "Gruden" type hire. Frankly, I'm not confident we have the administrative leadership that can persuade a "Gruden" type coach to come to UT, much less convince the "financial powers that be" to pony up enough cash to pull it off. Hope I'm wrong!

UT4prez writes:

Me.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UT4prez:

Me.

We could do worse..lol

fan_for_life writes:

The best coaches out there are:
Saban
Myer
the two Kellys
Peterson
Patterson

But I do not believe they are available without breaking the bank (8-10 million?yr). Spikes may be available but who will want to take the job with the currrent roster, few good commitments and without bowl game practices.

bigorangedude writes:

Whoever thinks someone like Gruden or Stoops are realistic candidates is fantasizing. Why? Patterson or Strong are more realistic choices, assuming they're interested in a "step up" to the SEC along with a bigger salary.

Vol_In_Ohio writes:

I have heard Jack Del Rio's name come up once.

VolsVolsVols writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

To not realize this is completely different than when Dooley was hired is what's dumb. I don't think national signing day is two weeks away.

UT4prez writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

We could do worse..lol

Thanks Bear! Want to be my agent? I'll take 500K base. Each loss takes away 10%. Each win adds 5%. No buy out either way. Expenses split 50/50.

VOLet_parking writes:

Pat Fitzgerald.

vols48 writes:

A winner...proven winner

Orangethrunthru writes:

I was watching the CBS pre kickoff show and they said that Gruden has been putting together a staff and looking into the Oregon offense.They mentioned that Arkansas wanted him and that money was no object. They also said the Haslam was in love with him and that he was a huge influence. Im sure someone else heard all of this too. Gruden hmmm,, well you never know...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UT4prez:

Heck yes, I'll get you a 10 million dollar buyout if you get terminated within the first season..I think you could get fired after one season if you put your mind to it..Like in your press conference after a big loss to a rival, say: You F'd up! you trusted me..or, when barely eking by Troy in OT you could say: Miss. St only beat Troy by 6 points, and they kicked our arse. What the H3LL did you expect? Gees.

BHSports92 writes:

Our SC office advises Columbia news stations advising Spurrier is leaving SC for Tennessee. Press conference 11AM Monday.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Pat Fitzgerald.

Yep. Would love to see him in Orange. Was a heck of a player and a great coach.

tvol71 writes:

I'm sure most people will not want to hear this, but I think the Vols should take a close look at Old Dominion University's (ODU) HC Bobby Wilder. 5 years ago ODU didn't have a team. They started a new program, and in 4 seasons with Wilder as HC, they are 37-9 and a playoff team last year and selected for the playoffs this year (10-1). Worst record was 8-3 in 2010. This coach knows how to build a winning program.

3rdn8 writes:

Bama fan here. Sorry to see Dooley go. He is a class act, and I had hoped he would be successful. That being said, UT would do well to take a hard look at Bill O'brien. I don't think there is a coach in the history of college football who has handled a tougher assignment.

I've watched a few PSU games this year, and they were competitive all season. They were well coached, and played hard for themselves, and their coaches.

GarPhilld writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Your comment is well taken and I of all people don't know the financial situation at UT, but I feel that Bob Stoops is a viable candidate after the decline of the Big 12 and we need a Nick Sabanesque hire. Someone who is proven in all the ways that matter right now. I would somehow offer him the bank, and if he wins at Tennessee like he has at Oklahoma the money situation in the UT Atheletic Dept. will be improved by a much more enthused fan base as well as big money donors. Just my humble opinion

GarPhilld writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Pat Fitzgerald.

I absolutely agree that he would be a good hire but no one seems to have him on their list. But it might be hard to pry him away from his alma mater. BTW if you can win at Northwestern consistently as he has you can win at UT

Vol-A-Holic25 writes:

Im tired of hearing about Charlie Strong. He is 23-13 in a weak conference. He played a weak schedule this year and when it came time to play a "decent team" in syracuse, compared to the rest of the schedule, he got beat pretty well. People bring up that Muschamp was a D coordinator like Strong, but Muschamp is also coaching the 4th ranked team in the nation and he is also in the SEC and not in the weak conference that Strong is in. Strong would be another Dooley hire.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

I have to disagree with you that the job is not attractive. I also disagree that UT is not in a position to offer millions to a Gruden type coach. Yes, I know that the athletic department was in the red to the tune of $4 mil, but Cheek just rescinded the annual $6 million donation UTAD gives to the Academic department and so that problem is gone. If you have a department that spends $100 mil a year and is losing $5 million a year due to fan fatigue (just what I've heard...I'm not UTAD's CPA), it makes sense to go out and make a homerun, Gruden type hire, even if you have to go in debt in the short term.

I will bet my screen name that UT will NOT hire a position coach. Maybe they do elevate a proven head coach from a lesser division, but the fact that Gruden has not said anything about UT speaks volumes. I don't think it is a done deal, but I think that UT and Gruden are negotiating behind the scenes. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I feel almost 95% certain that they are talking and talking seriously.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to fan_for_life:

The best coaches out there are:
Saban
Myer
the two Kellys
Peterson
Patterson

"...without bowl game practices."

Maybe I'm just extremely naive, but I don't get this argument. How does a coach, who is looking at a 5-6 year multimillion dollar contract at an SEC school who has the potential to become a local athletics deity look at this job and say, "Sorry Hart, if only you guys had that extra month to practice I'd be all in, but you aren't going to a bowl game this year so there's no way I can make this team competitive over the next four years"???

For some reason I'm imagining a multimillion dollar investor telling Warren Buffett that he would have bought into Berkshire Hathaway if only they were offering a free jelly-of-the-month-club registration for all new investors.

HighPlainsVol writes:

It should be Gary Patterson. Last night's win over the tu Shorthorns and Mack Brown was an example of I'll take my guys and beat your guys or I'll take your guys and beat my guys. Mack gets the cream of the Texas crop, A&M/OU come next and everybody else gets the leftovers and Patterson still wins.

killervol69 writes:

All you turds can say you heard it here, So Look here, It WILL be Gruden, ya hear me?? R.S.B.