Jim Chaney: Vols still a little lethargic in practice

( J. MILES CARY/NEWS SENTINEL )

Photo by J. Miles Cary

Jimmy Stanton, left Associate Athletic Director for Communications, and interim head coach/offensive coordinator Jim Chaney walk across the indoor practice field in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex after Chaney addressed the media on Monday November 19, 2012. ( J. MILES CARY/NEWS SENTINEL )

Tennessee interim head coach Jim Chaney said the Vols were still a bit lethargic in practice Tuesday, two days after coach Derek Dooley's dismissal.

"I can't say the execution on the field today was the way you'd like it," Chaney said. "We were a little sluggish at times. But it was better than yesterday and hopefully it will be better (Wednesday). Hopefully we'll build on that as we crescendo into the ballgame."

Tennessee (4-7, 0-7 SEC) plays Kentucky (2-9, 0-7) on Saturday (TV: SEC Network, 12:21 p.m.) in a battle of winless SEC teams who have already fired their coaches.

Tennessee dismissed Dooley on Sunday and he chose not to coach the final game. Kentucky coach Joker Phillips is finishing the season after his firing was announced on Nov. 4.

"They're an SEC football team, so they have SEC talent," Chaney said of Kentucky. "Our focus is on Tennessee to get our minds right and go out the way we're capable of playing.

Chaney said he would defer to Athletic Director Dave Hart on how to handle Senior Day activities on Saturday without Dooley present.

"I'm sure whatever Mr. Hart wants us to do, I'll be glad to do," Chaney said. "I've known these kids for a young time, and I'll gladly respect them in any way I can."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

I will be in K'ville for Thanksgiving, so I may try to go to the game to honor the seniors. Any real football fan has to feel a bit bad for the guys who have been here four or five years through so much turmoil and lack of success. Playing college football is an almost unimaginable grind for most of us. A college scholarship can seem scant recompense for most players, especially those who don't have a lucrative future in pro football ahead of them, which is most of them. Constant pain and fatigue; constant pressure from coaches, fans, family, and friends; nearly all their time taken out of their own hands--guys who would endure all that for our enjoyment deserve WAY more than they get, both in money and in public respect. Thank you, seniors, for choosing to wear the Orange, for staying loyal when others ran, and for bearing all your various hardships with courage and dignity! You will always be Vols For Life to the true fans, and I hope you will always think of yourselves that way.

Dickattrade writes:

I also plan on attending the game Saturday to cheer for the Vols and show our respect for the Seniors. Although we live 150 east of Knoxville we do not feel this is the time to quit supporting the team.
It will be cold but will dress to stay warm. Hope all our friends in Section M will keep it warm,loud amd crowded.
Please all season ticket holders come out to show your support because now is when you are needed most.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to johnlg00:

One of the bests posts I have ever seen. I wish I was going to be in town to join you there.

tennesseefan2 writes:

To us fans all of this is something that we find interesting. It is something we see from the outside. It is something that if we choose, we can ignore it for a day or two and then come back and check on it. For the players, however, it is a major part of their life right now. They cannot escape. May God bless them. Every fan should be supportive of the players. We don't know what they have known. They are probably stressed to the max. Go Vols!

FORTKNOXVOL writes:

I will be driving 5 hours to support these kids. They deserve to have the stands full of orange. It does not matter who is coaching, what matters is "I will give my ALL for Tennessee today". That goes for both the players and fans.

KingDanno (Inactive) writes:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of
I expect out of each and every one of these men to come to a crescendo during game time, and if not, YOU are a bunch of LOSERS who need to do some freakin soul searching and get your rear in gear!!

govolsn3 writes:

I will be there in SEC C as always and BLEEDING ORANGE, I always have through all kinds of seasons since the late 60's. GO VOLS>>>VFL

movinonup writes:

in response to KingDanno:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of

Look no further - we have just found our coach in KingDanno !
(in case you can't tell, this is dripping with sarcasm - what an idiotic comment)

CrankE writes:

in response to KingDanno:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of

Good coaches know so. Bad coaches hope so.

"Nothing's going to change" - Sally Sunseri

Hope has been the coaching plan all season. No reason for anything to change now.

The only good news is that Kentucky is equally as bad as we are so there's a good chance to win Saturday. Maybe Chaney can devote his full attention to the defense like Dooley did?

ivyvol writes:

in response to KingDanno:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of

Go forth and multiply yourself....many times.

shipperman#280095 writes:

I think they should play future starters and not let Bray play for the pro scouts

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

absolutely

62vol writes:

in response to KingDanno:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

You mis-qouted Chaney . He said "as we crescendo into the ballgame."

underthehill writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I thought UT might announce Worley would start and I think it would increase interest in the game. I salute those attending to support the players..

thevoice writes:

Sad to say this, but the UT/UK game should be one of the better games Saturday. Come on seniors!

VOLinMAHWAH writes:

Wish I could be there (from Jersey), but I will be out of the country for the next 10 days!! Will be there in spirit, iphone close by - hopefully can get updates down in South America!!

ambrown64 writes:

Boy, what a ride for these seniors. Bullet train to Hell. From defending SEC East Champ and New Year's Day Bowl winner to....this. Think of the legacy that Bartholomew represents. Think of the lesson in opportunity and disappointment they've learned. Go Seniors. Go Vols.

cltvol writes:

in response to KingDanno:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of

spoken like a true, self-appointed King

ROCKYnROCKFORD writes:

in response to johnlg00:

There's some bulletin board material......thank you.

6972 writes:

With the disasterous season behind them and only KY left to play with no bowl game to look forward to, did he expect them to be pumped up like they were preparing for the national championship?

Sunshine27 writes:

I don't understand this team. Lethargic? After what Kentucky did last year? And the way you played? And after your last performance vs Vandy? You're lethargic? Gutless, classless, no heart little female doges. Your femine napkins are on aisle 5....

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

JohnLG has always been a classy poster, and yes, this one was a very good one.

Talent wise, the Vols should close out the season with a W............but it's all about attitude.

I'd love to be there myself, but the season has been such a drain.........plus 400 miles one way to the stadium, it's a bit too much.
There was a time I'd still go to every game regardless.

I'll be wishing all of you a safe trip, a Tennessee victory, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all.

volcycle writes:

I'll be there.....from Winston-Salem, NC.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

I hope this team comes out with a sense of urgency to at least not go defeated through the entire SEC schedule.

VolMoment writes:

My wife and I will be at the game. Five hour trip. Small number of hours compared what the seniors have put in for our beloved UT and fans. We respect them and say Thanks for trying to win games.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Super Post I hope all the seniors read it! GBO VFL17

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

You gotta to have a brain to go with your arm , after last week . I wonder about both .

BolivrBob writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

I'd like to see one of them get their hands on your worthless posterior

UTKin1992 writes:

Common sense would suggest that underclassmen might want to consider their future place on this football team. The incoming coach will be looking at each player and make determinations based on character and performance under adversity. Being lethargic isn't going to impress anyone. Same deal for the seniors; NFL scouts, pride, last time on a football field, whatever the case may be. Lethargy isn't the ticket.

gatorhator4eva writes:

wish i was in town. these seniors have been through alot as many have said. Tennessee will be back but these guys gave there all and thats all we can ask as loyal vol fans.

ktemaque1 writes:

in response to KingDanno:

No not "hoping they come to a crescendo"

That is not how you coach. It is more along the lines of

Just have to wonder if YOU ever played a snap!

Basketvol writes:

Some good posts on this thread, some not so good. To everyone who is going to this game to support the seniors, I'll be right there with you on Saturday. The seniors deserve our support. Not only should we be there for the seniors, but everyone who thought Dooley needed to be fired should be at this game too. It's the end of one era and the beginning of a new and better one. Go Vols!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Great post. That says it all. GO SENIORS AND GO VOLS!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to thevoice:

Don't be sad..UT will be ready to play Saturday and Coach Chaney will have some exciting plays to unload on tucky after a frustrating year..It's my wedding anniversary this weekend and my wife and I wanted to go to Knoxville and and give our seniors a rousing ovation for being Volunteers..We can go to Vegas any time..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to thevoice:

oldvoltimer62 writes:

Lethargic?"Well put the Tasty Cakes down Chaney and go out there and show em how to do it.I hate it for the seniors who have had to endure the lackluster coaching and guidance offered to them these past 4 years from a inept staff,but I am proud of them for withstanding the onslaught of the best conference in college football.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to movinonup:

Look no further - we have just found our coach in KingDanno !

Come on, you know King Draino can't coach. Jeeze, let's just beat Ky so the Vols don't lose eight for the first time in history. You all can fight among yourselves till the cows come home after Saturday, I really don't give a big rat's turd any more.

Sunshine27 writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

I'd like to see one of them get their hands on your worthless posterior

Hey Bob, put what little $$$ where your mouth is. I played the game at the highest level and have mixed it up with the best of me. Why don't you take you're worthless unathletic fat butt and shut your pie hole before you look like the south end of a horse going north. Wimp.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Does Bucksnort even has a fb team?? Bwahahahaha!! Dude, are you that scum that operates the adult book store at the Bucksnort exit off of I-40??

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

it want matter who is hired this board will be divided about who is right and who is wrong. When Gruden is annouced it will be interesting to see who steps up to bash his performance before the first game is even history

wigmeister writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Great Post! Don't have to read any farther. I'm sure the idiots will be on here spewing their inevitable garbage!

frblalack writes:

Lethargic? Doesn't that describe our starting quarterback play in the last game?

C'mon Chaney, don't give Bray the satisfaction of torching Kentucky. He mailed it in for the Vandy game, enough said. Give Worley the start!!! His touchdown saving tackle says a lot about his leadership qualities; the California kid would have just watched.

All Vols

hateNCloveTN writes:

in response to volcycle:

I'll be there.....from Winston-Salem, NC.

and ill be there. from kernersville nc