Vince Dooley 'knew' his son's firing was going to happen

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley calls to his players during the game against UT Martin at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2010

Vols talk about Derek Dooley losing his job

Legendary Georgia coach Vince Dooley said his son's firing was painful, but he understands why it happened.

"I knew it was going to happen," Dooley told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I felt for sure it was going to happen. Then on Sunday when he contacted us and told us, it was difficult. You hurt for your family. You hurt for your son."

Derek Dooley was dismissed Sunday after three seasons at Tennessee and athletic director Dave Hart is leading the search for his replacement.

"I knew the situation," Vince Dooley said. "They came very close in some big ballgames that unfortunately they didn't win. I know Dave Hart personally. He anguished over this. But in light of the situation I understand the decision."

Vince Dooley said his son decided not to coach the final game to give the team the best chance of winning.

"Derek said he requested that because he felt he would be distraction," Dooley said. "He said all of the speculation about his job was a distraction before the Vanderbilt game and he felt that hurt the team, so he didn't want that to happen again. Once he said that, I admired his decision. I felt it was important to get that out because it's not like they didn't want him around."

***

Tennessee interim head coach Jim Chaney said the Vols were still a bit lethargic in practice Tuesday, two days after Dooley's dismissal.

"I can't say the execution on the field today was the way you'd like it," Chaney said. "We were a little sluggish at times. But it was better than yesterday and hopefully it will be better (Wednesday). Hopefully we'll build on that as we crescendo into the ballgame."

Tennessee (4-7, 0-7 SEC) plays Kentucky (2-9, 0-7) on Saturday (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.) in a battle of winless SEC teams who have already fired their coaches.

Kentucky coach Joker Phillips is finishing the season after his firing was announced on Nov. 4.

"They're an SEC football team, so they have SEC talent," Chaney said of Kentucky. "Our focus is on Tennessee to get our minds right and go out the way we're capable of playing.

***

Chaney said he would defer to Hart on how to handle Senior Day activities on Saturday without Dooley present.

"I'm sure whatever Mr. Hart wants us to do, I'll be glad to do," Chaney said. "I've known these kids for a long time, and I'll gladly respect them in any way I can."

CrankE writes:

But what about Baba O'Dooley????????

FanNotSheep writes:

I saw it coming the day his hiring was announced. Dooley had very little chance of making it work. He had not enjoyed success at Louisiana Tech so there was no reason to think he could win at Tennessee.

I do think he stabilized the program somewhat and recruited well enough to give the next guy a chance. But the next guy must salvage this class and then coach the players up in the fashion that Vanderbilt's head coach did this season. Tennessee will need to beat a couple of teams that have a lot more talent than they do, and win the close ball games they lost this season.

If Hart hires a dud it is going to get even uglier. And more fans are going to wish we had just kept Fulmer. You can't overstate the importance of this hire if you are a Tennessee fan.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Tough decisions are made when coaches only have one SEC win in 2 seasons..Good luck Derek.

Rock85 writes:

$5 mill to walk away...

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Makes me wonder… UT will pay Dooley $5 Mil not coach. How much would you take not to post?

FWBVol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Hey pea brain,

Everyone on this board knows the total disdain you have for Derek Dooley. You got your wish. He's gone now, and rightfully so. Even most of us that continued to support him through the tough times agree the decision to fire him was the only one that could be made. For Pete's sake, even his dad said there was good reason for him to be fired.

Derek Dooley didn't win enough games, but he gave us his best and conducted himself with integrity while representing the University of Tennessee with class that all of us can be prould of.

Too bad you can't show the same class. You are the real doofus and loser.

bob.bigorange#605842 writes:

GlennFord - hmmmm. 1st off lay off the phooey that Derek only got what he has because of daddy. I wanted him gone after UK loss last year; however, he stabilized the mess that Kiffin left. Perhaps tht was ultimately the only reason he was hired - perhaps not. Bottom line: he is in the coaching profession and maybe not HC material; but perhaps a very good AD again. Leave him alone.

rockypop writes:

in response to CrankE:

But what about Baba O'Dooley????????

Obviously, your screen name refers to what you're smoking, so in light of that, it's understandable that you're not capable of bringing anything to the board that would be taken seriously.

Why don't you get back to us when you've got something cogent that represents the one moment of clarity you hopefully enjoy during the day (or night)?

rogatl2002#222395 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

I'll gladly chip in.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Hey pea brain,

Too bad you can't show the same class. You are the real doofus and loser.

Some pretty classy folks on this board. I wonder how they'll fill their days now that there really isn't a need to come up with more clever "Dooleyisms" (ie Doofus, Dooloser, etc.)?

DavidB writes:

To bring up something no one else has brought up. This one is about character. When Fulmer was fired he showed his class, his character and the love for the vols by presenting the school with a 1 million dollar donation. If Dooley will do the same he will regain my respect. For someone getting paid 5 million not to coach what is 1 million. Just something to ponder.

No I'm not saying Fulmer should get his job back for that donation but I do think it showed he loves this school.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Snapshot writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

The man has been fired, yet you continue with the 3rd grade name calling as usual. You are a compete jerk and your envy of everything Dooley is, and has, is truly astounding.

TommyJack writes:

The Dooley's are a good family. Lay-off the cheap shots.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to DavidB:

I didn't know you could buy respect, even for a million dollars.

VolnTex writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Your silly little name calling shows your immaturity and lack of character. My guess would be that most people on here would rather you go away.

6972 writes:

It didn't take an Einstein to see that coming.
$5 Mill....that a tough retirement. I don't know how he will be able to live on that.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Get over yourself. Your posts reflect very poorly on the University of Tennessee. All other readers know this but I thought you just might not be getting the message.

All4Vols!!

makelemonade writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

What an idiotic comment. The 5mil is owed to him. Like it or not, that's how it works. That is real life, everything else is just a kid's game. Has anyone else here ever quit a job or been fired and told the employer to just keep your last check, you don't want it? Of course not, because that would be stupid. Why are you so stupid?

jt45 writes:

in response to VolnTex:

I know I would.

gwbask writes:

in response to VolBy3:

All4Vols!!

very true... I hate losing and wholeheartedly agree with his being dismissed but some of the classless posts on here are amazing. Some people are showing their character or lack thereof.

volnvette03 writes:

in response to DavidB:

Actually, Fulmer donated his $1 mil before he was fired. In fact, it was during the 2007 season. Even though, I do not dispute his class and love for UT.

cloudodust writes:

Vince knows the deal. He's torn between the reality of reality and his kid. Understandable, but any HC of this game knows that losing breeds firing. Move along. As far as practicing lazy, Team, get over it. This ain't AAAA high school ball. This is where you grow up or stay back there in a time warp. Go beat Kentucky. Play your best and show us that CDD gave you what he intended to give you...the fire to win and conquer adversity...GBO

UTKin1992 writes:

Well Vince, so did we. So did we.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Act your age, GFF. Criticize all you want, but why don't you say Derek Dooley instead of "Doofus Dooloser". You sound like you're wearing penny-loafers or saddle-oxfords. Man up, and make this an adult conversation.

BankerVol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Glenn, you sir are a pr1ck.

hueypilot writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Your childish bastardization of the man's name, (I think he has at least earned the right to be called by his real name) shows how much credit you should be given for anything you write. The anonymity of a message board sure makes for some false bravado. I doubt you would say anything to the man's face, or his senior citizen daddy's face for that matter, that you have posted here.

Theo writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Okay - enought - he's gone. Are you so pathetic that kicking a guy that is not only down but gone is an enjoyable activity.
Dooley is a good guy who probably was in over his head and didn't get any breaks to go his way. If Les Miles is the luckiest guy in NCAA football Derrick Dooley may be the unluckiest.
But back to you - grow up and move on. I'm sick of your (and some other posters) constant negativity and just plain old being a jerk.
Just shut up.

jjvols writes:

Derek Dooley was a great person and had great intentions. I just wish he was a great coach, being a good person doesn't win you ball games. I firmly believe he left the football program in better shape than how he received it. Like most of you, I am unpleased with how the season turned out. I believe I am more mad than disappointed.... Don't kick a man while he is down.

Yes, I have season tickets so I can complain. If you hide behind your computer in moms basement and haven't been to a game in ages STFU!!!

coastal_vol writes:

I can't stand most of you jerks. Not sure why I bother reading these idiotic posts. Hey, Glennfords.....tell me your sons name and what the hell he has ever done in life so I can mock him publicly. Jerk....

coastal_vol writes:

Glennfords....you are everything that sucks about college football. I hate guys like you. Would you have turned the job down? Of course not, you effing hypocrite. And you would have won even fewer games than Dooley. You have no idea what it means to be on the front lines. Jerk....

moonpie-ellie writes:

Oh give me a break with the "poor Dooley" bs. The guy made 50x what the average family of 4 makes in the U.S. and he made some ridiculously horrible calls!!! He was mediocre, at best! How many of you would still get paid more than 2 years of your salary after working a position for 3 years and doing a piss-poor job?

The man played football. He grew up with a football coach dad and he let the clock run out when the score is tied and he had 2 time-outs left?!!! He fake punts inside the 20 on a 4th and 7? When earlier he was 4th and 1 on the 50 and he punted? I'm not even that savvy about football, but for goodness sake, I know better than that!

Why so many apologists? The guy was paid millions! I don't get it....

coastal_vol writes:

Thank you for making my point, elliemae.

jasvol writes:

I was told by an inside source that Gruden was coming. I can't tell you who but it was from my mama's best friend's cousin's sister who went to school with Gruden's wife. So, as you can see this is legit.

vfl76 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

He had 3 the first year, 2 the second, and none the 3rd year......so in 2 seasons he either had 5 (the first 2 seasons) or 2 the last 2 seasons. But he doesn't have one SEC win in 2 seasons. Either way it shouldn't have been a tough decision since he got worse each year.

vfl76 writes:

in response to jasvol:

My mama's best friend's cousins's sister's husband's high school buddy who cleans toilets at Neyland on Saturday told me about the same thing.

trl_x writes:

I have no doubt that Derek Dooley gave his all for the Vols and I appreciate it. I believe he's a good man. He just couldn't get it done.

I wish him nothing but success.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

It's "couldn't care less."

Volunatic writes:

in response to TommyJack:

The Dooley's are a good family. Lay-off the cheap shots.

Concur. When he came to UT, no other coaches would even consider the job. The roster is in better shape now, and there are no impending NCAA penalties.

kmay1125 writes:

in response to gwbask:

What character?? By name calling, they show their 3rd grade mentality. Dooley had some good ideas but just couldn't put them together. At least, we didn't have any legal issues with players that have come up with past coaches ie (attemped robbery at service station). IMHO I felt the stability of the program improve. it's too bad he couldn't win with the quality of players on the field. Now some of this blame of not being able to win should be shouldered by the players with their lack of execution.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Hey pea brain,

Too bad you can't show the same class. You are the real doofus and loser.

I haaven't seen any evidence presented at all that Dooley is a good person of integrity. That seems to be the new "big lie."

He may be, but it hasn't been shown.

What -has- been shown is that he is a foul mouthed micromanging loser who didn't bother to learn the player's names, who never took responsibilty for his actions and who constantly threw other people under the bus.

Walt

UT '81

whiskeyman writes:

in response to rogatl2002#222395:

I'll gladly chip in.

I'm in too!

bigorangebolt writes:

I wish you all the best Derek Dooley!

BigOrangeRock writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

He may be, but it hasn't been shown.

Walt

UT '81

True.

And now Dooley should have enough money saved to make 300k/yr off of interest for... ever.

Not a bad score. If I was Vince I would be excited to congratulate my son around the Christmas dinner table this year!

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Hear Hear.

The truest Volunteer fans are the ones that soonest saw Dooley for the complete fraud that he was.

Walt

UT '81

Gunslinger477 writes:

Dooley is a class act. True he didn't win, and a change had to be made, but a class act nevertheless.

Huttdawg100 writes:

"Derek said he requested that because he felt he would be distraction," Dooley said. "He said all of the speculation about his job was a distraction before the Vanderbilt game and he felt that hurt the team, so he didn't want that to happen again."

Even more excuses. It's never his fault. It's youth. It's inexperience. It's poor showering techniques.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to moonpie-ellie:

Why so many apologists? The guy was paid millions! I don't get it....

Here! Here! Best post I've ever seen from you. Get away from that nasty politics-related stuff and stay over here - on the sports side... You're better at it! :-)

underthehill writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

Hear Hear.

Walt

UT '81

I think UT went looking for Dooley..I don't think he went looking for UT..if there was a complete fraud..it is the ones who went looking..and you are right there were early signs Dooley would not be a great coach but fraud he was not...he took what he was offered and gave his best..it just wasn't good enough...I think there are far more early signs that Hart is incompetent than there was in Dooley's case..but that don't mean he is a fraud for taking what he was offered..I think a fraud is someone who takes things under false pretense..I don't think that happened..their record was available and how UT could hire Hart with his resume' indicates to me a total lack of reasoning..so blame the giver..not the taker..

underthehill writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

He may be, but it hasn't been shown.

Walt

UT '81

Is it possible to be incompetent or unable to accomplish the task you have accepted and still be a good person .I hope so..if it ain't..I am one bad dude..who has failed many times...