David Climer: Tennessee Vols' Tyler Bray isn't ready for NFL

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray passes the ball against Troy during their game Nov. 3 in Neyland Stadium. Tennessee won 55-48. (Michael Patrick/News Sentinel)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tyler Bray is brushing off questions about his plans for next year.

Asked earlier this week if he planned to return to Tennessee for his senior season or enter the NFL draft, Bray said: “We play Kentucky on Saturday. That’s all I’m worried about.”

A word of advice: Assuming Tennessee’s next coach doesn’t install the wishbone, stay in school. You’re not ready for the NFL.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Here are his options:
1) Stay in school, learn brand new offense, under a brand new HC and OC, have to bother with another year of classes, studying, not being able to drink and party like you want, not being able to ride SeaDoos, toss beer bottles, get your head caved in again by Florida, Bama, UGA, etc.. Or,
2) Apply for the draft, go anywhere from round 1 to round 3, sign for anywhere from 8 million per year to 2.5 mill per year, learn for a year or two behind a starter or even work your way into the starting spot as a rookie.

Hmm, choices, choices.

underthehill writes:

A project ..at best..for the NFL..just as he has been at UT..how has it worked out here...I think UT fans are mixed on whether or not they hope he returns..I ain't and I don't..

wigmeister writes:

He is going to be in for a real shock, either way.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

David Climer isn't ready to be a newspaper columnist either...but that doesn't stop him from pretending to be one on a daily basis.

knoxchatter writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Here are his options:

Hmm, choices, choices.

Get real DELTA DAWN...his only choice is choice #1...and if you read any of the comments on this topic, many hope he won't even make that choice! There is NO CHOICE #2 for Bray. He is nowhere close to being seasoned for the NFL...three years in college and he is benched against Vandy? NFL...ha...I think NOT!!!

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

"If a quarterback is fully prepared to make this kind of leap, he doesn’t get benched in the first half of a game against Vanderbilt this late in his junior season. And that’s precisely what happened to Bray on Saturday."

In Bray's defense, the guy who benched him was an idiot.

cltvol writes:

College football is a money sport and big decisions are money based. Tyler is no different. If the money's there he should take it and who would blame him. If he's good enough to be a long-term pro, he'll make it. If he's not, he'll get paid a pretty decent chunk to find out.

cltvol writes:

As a fan, I hope he stays. I think he will get better and do a great job for UT next year. Were it not for him, how many games would we have won this year?

vol98champ writes:

Ryan Leaf number 2. Can't imagine this guy surviving at the next level. Dooley might have been better off if he had sent Bray packing with D. Rogers. He sure had the MJ look last Saturday.

tulelakevol writes:

Kiffin turned Crompton from a goat into a draft pick. Dooley has really hurt Bray's draft standing. Bray has not helped himself either, but his actions mirrored his coaching. Just my humble opinion.

madrigal writes:

First thing Climer's said all season that makes much sense!

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

Tyler Bray is ready for the NFL as Witch Doctor is ready to enter the neuro-surgery profession!! LOL Bray has the physical capabilities but the gray matter between his ears are more on the level of a High School Freshman.

Regardless of who the HC or OC is this coming season Bray will not improve on the field unless he improves his attitude off of the field. Bray is in more need of a shrink than a quarterback coach!

Personally I wish luck with whatever decision he makes, I just hope that we see his named called on draft day. I think Worley deserves a shot at leading a team.

What I saw of Worley against Vandy was impressive, in my humble opinion! He was calm in the pocket, the team responded to his presence in the huddle, and on the field, except Patterson.

For now, I just want the Beer Barrel back!!!

GO VOLS!!!

allvol8 writes:

in response to david_light_38230#225602:

For now, I just want the Beer Barrel back!!!

GO VOLS!!!

Good post! I agree I would like to see Worley lead the team as well. I would not be surprised if Bray stayed only to get benched or sent packing...he still does not read defenses well.

62vol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

You say that you keep saying the same thing over and over again. Are you OK?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

TB + Spoiled Brat + NFL = Bench riding millionaire..CYA!

OrangePride writes:

Bray can look like a top draft pick one week and a sixth round pick-up the next. His obvious lapses in judgement have been well documented and would be troubling to any NFL scout. But given Bray's rather unpredictable nature, it would not surprise anyone if he opted for the draft. In honesty, I cannot see how he has been a "difference maker" on this team; so how then would he be better at the NFL level? But some agent is likely to spin his head and convince him he's a "first-rounder," and Bray is likely to listen. Prediction? He goes. For that reason, put Worley in for at least a half this week. Better yet? START WORLEY! GO VOLS!!

erniethecatladd writes:

He hasn't proven that he's ready for the SEC yet.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to cltvol:

1. About 20 college football programs break even or make a profit. FACT.
2. All receive government help and student fees. None pay corporate income tax. Does not sound like a business to me. FACT.

3. Bray will never take an NFL snap. FACT.

hikerdude writes:

As I have said before, Bray will never start an NFL game. Big arm, small brain, bad attitude.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Here are his options:

Hmm, choices, choices.

you're obviously not very knowledgeable about NFL QBs if you really believe Bray is going in the first 3 rounds. No chance. Read all the draftnik nonsense you want, it ain't happening. His arm strength does not outweigh his lack of ability to read defenses, his immobility, his frail body or his emotional immaturity. He has no chance of starting for any team in the league for at least 3-5 years and teams don't no longer waste top picks on guys they can't count on early.

HighPlainsVol writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Ryan Leaf is a good analogy except Bray will not even be close to the #2 overall pick nor will he get nearly as much NFL playing time. That is, if he comes out early. If he comes back, gains some maturity and gets some good coaching, he would have early first round potential.

Orangeblood13 writes:

I say he would have been a great player under Coach Cut, put up pretty good numbers as it was and is. Dooley and Chaney may have hurt em more than his attitude.

FWBVol writes:

It seems as if all the writers...Climer, Adams and everyone else are giving us the same column with their twist on it.

I understand there is a limited amount of things they can write about with the team heading nowhere and looking for a new coach, but it seems as if they are having some sort of conference call and deciding this day we write about who will fit as the next coach?, Which players will stay and which will declare for the draft and why or why not?

Give us something fresh...write about the Kentucky game and what a win or loss would mean to the program moving forward and how it might impact the coaching search.

easttnvol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Here are his options:

Hmm, choices, choices.

Sounds like the gator fans are scared he will stay. Don't really recall flordia caving in anyones head.

bigdisbig writes:

Go back to the west coast you spoiled brat. You are an embarassment to the Vol uniform. Anyone who lays down like a kicking crybaby at the Ky. game last year and Fla. game this year needs his mommy back.

Voltransplant writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Here are his options:

Hmm, choices, choices.

Why are you even commenting on this, Florida troll?

jimr07 writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

You did not realize he is one of the top college scouts of all time. His playing career was outstanding. lol

tenndave writes:

Does anyone know if there is any truth the the report that Cordelle Patterson has basically quit going to classes. If that is right then there is the answer to that question. None of them are ready including Justin Hunter. No signature wins. Many dropped balls in crucial times. Still haven't learned their routes. Bray becomes erratic at times but does put up numbers against weak opponents. THEY ARE NOT READY! NFL though will throw enough money to make it a no choice situation and I wish them well but are they selling out their long term careers for short term money, even though it is a lot of money.

UT4prez writes:

In some ways Bray reminds me of Scotty Hopson. Bray has better talent for the next level than Scotty though.

Bray will go pro and he probably should. My gut tells me he won't be able to raise his stock all that much by coming back and the risk of injury or not increasing his draft position is too high to stay. With the right coach maybe it would be good to come back but none of us really know.

The last few years QBs have been drafted higher than their talent level so take advantage and get out. I don't think Bray will fall lower than the 4th round.

TheCopper writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

"Waa, waa, waa." That is all we hear when you talk. Idiot

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Triple the effexor and top that off with a liter of vodka..RIP.

UT4prez writes:

Usually the comments out here are entertaining but not so much this time. One guy is calling a college kid names and insulting him. Another poster is blaming other posters for Bray not being ready for the NFL. I agree with what many say on here. That has to be someone just looking to drive up the number of posts. It's too absurd for anyone to actually think that. Congratulations. Mission accomplished. Here is another post.

I mentioned before that Bray reminds me of Hopson in some ways. I'll give a comparison to a QB. He reminds me of Stafford. The difference between the two is it appears Bray's attitude is more of an issue than Stafford and no doubt Stafford had better coaching. Bray has a lot of talent. Someone in the NFL will take a shot. The coaches can't overcome lack of physical abilities but they can work with the mental side of the game. Bray has just as much of a shot at being successful in the NFL as anyone else coming out this year. The QB class looks weak to me.

Southland writes:

he is going into the draft. This was his plan from the moment he arrived here. He has been the lead clown in a circus of futility. He has the talent and if he can get a good coach and a better attitude he will be an NFL player, whether he is starter or not I dont know. My guess and of course that is all it is, he will be a starter in couple of years of learning and having to work. If he doesnt work hard then he will be cut after the first year

UT4prez writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

I agree with you that I thought 7-5 was the worst we would do.

I thought he should have been let go after KY as well. There were enough bad signs that to me indicated he was not the guy. I stayed as positive as possible and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt all last year until that disaster in Lexington. My fear was we would go 7-5 this year, the powers would say look at the improvement, keep him, and then we go 7-5 again next year. I wondered how long we would let 7-5 go on because that was the best he could do from what I saw last year. I sure didn't see 4-7 coming. No way. I was so hoping I was wrong. When they decided to bring him back I got behind him and the team because I wanted better for Dooley, better for the kids, better for the fans, and better for the university. That's why I supported him until the last gasp. He lost my belief after KY and kept my support until Monday.

Being realistic, they weren't going to fire him after KY. There was no chance for fans to leave empty seats because it was the last game. Then came this year. The hype of a fresh season got most people excited, including me, so people wanted to show up and support the team. Then they played pretty well in beating NC St and got even more excitement building for the UF game. So there's no way where we are today can logically be blamed on fans. I don't buy it. That stadium rocked during the UF game. It rocked like it hasn't in years. After that game it hasn't been the same. The fans started showing their displeasure after that game the way you feel they should and every game it got worse and worse. You simply won't go from 100K one week to 0 the next week. It takes time to get to 60K like at Troy.