In an ironic twist, Lane Kiffin may even have SEC fans pulling for him on Saturday

Southern California head coach Lane Kiffin, left, runs to his team during a timeout in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Oregon, Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012, in Los Angeles. Oregon won 62-51. (AP Photo/Bret Hartman)

Could you pull for Lane Kiffin?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Lane Kiffin irked more than one Southeastern Conference coach during his short tenure at Tennessee.

And his exit from Knoxville to USC in 2010 still makes tempers boil in SEC country.

But with Alabama, Georgia and Florida still in the mix for the Bowl Championship Series title, coaches and fans across the South will be rooting for Kiffin and the Trojans on Saturday when they play top-ranked and unbeaten Notre Dame at the Coliseum.

A USC victory opens the door, perhaps, for another all-SEC title game.

Continue reading at the Los Angeles Times.

dvhill100 writes:

Nope, not pulling for him.

John_10065 writes:

Gary Klein must be John Adam's cousin or at least from the same school of sports writers.

No Gary, as much as the fans of the SEC would like to see yet another all SEC championship game, no one that wears orange and white could be considered a serious fan and cheer for USC in this game. Especially after the past three years!

It's an outside shot at this point to NOT have at least one SEC team there anyway!

I see Kiffin is still keeping it classy:

"I said, 'Jim just bought a house in Manhattan Beach; why would he go to Tennessee?'" Kiffin said. "They said, 'They'll do whatever it takes to hire him — because he beat you.'"

cltvol writes:

I'm not pulling for the SEC. Why should I? I love the Vols and hate their rivals.

Rarely have I ever pulled for ND but I am this weak. Guess I would be for anybody against USC these days.

I still like that Kiffin named his kid Knox.

orangecountyvols writes:

Pulling for USC?

Without Barkley at quarterback, a win isn't going to happen.

This is a game in which it's hard to pull for either team. Notre Dame escaped the Pitt game by virtue of the missed Panther field goal.

After they were allowed to have their own t.v. network, they've had a lot less fans IMO. Never choosing to be in a football conference........they've taken the easier route to schedule the wins.

So, since Barkley is reported to be out of the game, the Irish will probably take this one. Eventually, they will have to play someone like an Alabama or Oregon, then it'll get interesting.

tnvol4ever writes:

Would be nice if both teams could somehow lose. Oh well, At least one team will lose.

Colts_VolFan writes:

I'll be pulling for him to lose his job.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I am not ever going to pull for the SEC outside of UT..Especially lil' Lane after he begged for the UT job and then bolted after one lousy season destroying UT fb in his wake..But as far as the SEC is concerned I hope ND finishes #1 and beats bammer in the BCS title game..No allegiance here.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Yes, Gator Nation will be pulling for Kiffin. A USC win over ND and a UF win over FSU, and guess what boys and girls, Florida plays the winner of the SECCG for the national title.

FEAR THE KIFFIN!!

SummittsCourt writes:

I will never pull for weasel boy. though i hate both schools.

Actually seeing ND get creamed by whatever SEC school plays them would be nice though.

on a side note, why is KNS still posting stories about weasel boy?

madrigal writes:

No way. I don't like Notre Dame, but I never liked USC *before* L*** K****n and I like them even less now. Nor do I give two whoops for any SEC team supposedly in "contention" for the championship (which is rigged anyway and should be a playoff series like every other division). The writer has been out in the sun too much.

tnluv2play writes:

Uh.........no way. Gary Klein doesn't have any contacts in Knoxville or he would know most of the fan base is pulling for Kiffin to lose his job.

123forVOLS writes:

Here is my response....--------------------

6972 writes:

in response to mtnsvol44:

Wish I had said that.

notorange writes:

I would root for ol scratch in anything before Kiffin.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Yeah, I'm pulling for USC or anyone else playing N.D. If for no other reason than to shut Lou Holtz up.
Just like my favorite basesall team is whoever's playing the Yankees.
I may be wrong, but don't the Vols have a game Saturday? Can we maybe get something on what they're planning. You know, like are they going to show up?

GBO - get it right this time

crappieking writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

FEAR THE KIFFIN!!

You are pleasuring yourself in the Field Of Dreams.

MarbleCitySon writes:

Lane kiffin is probably the greatest coach to grace the sidelines of Neyland stadium. You trolls should be honored to have been able to call him one of your own. People are mad because he left after one season. You should be elated that he stayed for one game. He only did what anyone would have done; he followed the money. If I coached FU for one year, but then Tennessee offered me more money, I would be out of the state before the door closed behind me. I wouldn't even give a press conference, I'd leave a note.

MarbleCitySon writes:

I doubt FU will make it past the Noles. The FU offense will not be able to produce against a top 3 defense like that of the Noles. But let's suppose they do. There is absolutely no way they beat alabubba. They already showed their choke reflex against jawja. Plus Muschump is secretly a woman.

arkyvol writes:

for the simps who can't seem to get their head around the fact that respect for the vols is very derivative of the conference, hey, it is damned important that an sec team come off well against a good ooc opponent. but, i admit, that between hammy/dooley and the mouth breathing cretins who consider any connection between their precious vols and that thing called an educational institution have about put me off them.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to titletownz:

Go Criminoles!!

rbwtn writes:

Just a thought when you look at football as a whole the SEC has all us Southerners Spoiled why? We're use to tough running and passing football and when we see other Conferences they simply don't stand up to the SEC BUT because THEY don't watch SEC football THEY don't understand. I hear ABC each year really pushing for Big 10 Big 12 Schools painting them like they're better. Take the current #1 team N. Dame with an easy schedule and because they haven't lost they are #1. I'm so much tired of this and wish we had included 8 instead of 4 teams in the playoff's and it'll take a lifetime for College Presidents to change as far as Tennessee goes whoever coaches will inherit a pretty strong team and should do Great the First Year. I like Dooley but he frankly wasn't Tennessee but he'll make someone a Great Coach.

in response to titletownz:

Care to comment how the lezzies would do against alabubba or the team that already owned them like a mail order bride?

rbwtn writes:

Who in the SEC wouldn't pull for Southern Cal? Put your Envy away and be real. Kiffin has more problems than you know.

Snapshot writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

FEAR THE KIFFIN!!

Just one thing wrong with your thinking, the Noles are going to kick the krap out of the gaters!!!

in response to titletownz:

How about I look up the fact that Florida State own's your candy arse.....always has,always will.

in response to titletownz:

in response to titletownz:

I wasn't born in 1975...........1975 is when I met your mother

in response to 9willbesofine:

So besides Muschump being a woman, everything else in my comment was cool right?

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Just like my favorite basesall team is whoever's playing the Yankees.

GBO - get it right this time

Would shut Mike Golic up too.

in response to titletownz:

My mistake..........I forgot.....you didn't have a mom....just two dads

in response to 9willbesofine:

FU has lost two in a row against the Noles, that's good enough for me. You people only like to cite recent history when it comes to these matters anyway.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

Would shut Mike Golic up too.

How could I forget him.

MarbleCitySon writes:

If I say Tennessee is better than Florida because we're in the top ten of winningest programs, you'll tell me florida has won the last nine......fine....if I say FSU owns Florida, you people go back to wins from 1956.......be consistent people, or is that too much to expect from a state that can't even get the voting process right.

SoddyVol writes:

I'm pulling against Notre Dame! I've always pulled against them since 1956. However, it would be a tough choice if SC had any chance to play for the NC.

killervol69 writes:

Screw Kiffie, he's a grade-A jackarse who needs another good whippin! And I could care less who plays for the national championship, until the 4 team playoff system gets cranked up, we will still be left wondering who the champion truly is!

gobigorange5090 writes:

I wont be pulling for that low life!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I will never pull for weasel boy. though i hate both schools.

on a side note, why is KNS still posting stories about weasel boy?

Why do you keep reading them?

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to madrigal:

How is it rigged? Tell us!!!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to MarbleCitySon:

You dont know much about UT football do you? The greatest coach to grace the sidelines at Neyland was R. R. Neyland himself.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to killervol69:

It's "couldn't care less."

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to MarbleCitySon:

You know, I don't really give a dog turd about the Gators or FSU. If I want to read about them, I'll go to their site. We have more than enough Vol B.S. to argue over without lizzards & Free Shoes U.
I know you Gator fans/trolls just can't help yourselves but these Vol fans are just easy I guess. Now if we're going on about the Vols & Gators, that' OK. Have at it boys!

GBO - Get it right this time!

RealisticVol writes:

WRONG!!!!!!! Let the SEC champ take them to the woodshed in the National Championship game.

RealisticVol writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

He does not know much about FOOTBALL period!!! What has little Kiffy done with "the greatest team" ranked #1 pre-season? Bwaaahahahahahahahahaha. He wrecked us and now is wrecking SC. Bwaaaahahahahahaha

CarolinaVol2281 writes:

Tennessee fans should be legitimately concerned with the outcome of this game...if Kiffin loses he could get fired. And when USC hires a coach, they identify their #1 target and go get them immediately, it took one day last time and we all know how that turned out. But seriously, if he gets canned...they will go get one of our top coaching targets before Hart can even put his short list together. That brings me to a related topic..why didn't Hart have a short list 2 months ago? Was he not watching the same train wreck of a season that we were? Seems like he should have already reached out and closed the deal with someone. Unless he really thought Dooley was coming back and was totally unprepared for a coaching search, which is even more concerning. Just hope other jobs (college and NFL) don't start opening up before we get our guy..

BankerVol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

FEAR THE KIFFIN!!

FSU will eat the Gators lunch!

budd#207344 writes:

I root for UT and ANYBODY who will beat notre dame

RealisticVol writes:

in response to budd#207344:

I root for UT and ANYBODY who will beat notre dame

I root for UT and ANYBODY who will beat Kiffin.

in response to gobigorange5090:

I know this..........it's easy to rile you up

MarbleCitySon writes:

Even if USC wins, I don't think it will save Lame's job. Besides that......I would rather USC win and have the other conferences on the outside looking in as two sec teams decide who the NC will be. If my Vols can't be on top,then at least our conference can.

HighPlainsVol writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

I'm not for Lame, but once a year I'm for USC. That's when they play ND. I would even pull for the FL Lizards against ND.