Tennessee beats Kentucky 37-17

Tennessee wide receiver Zach Rogers scores the Vols' first touchdown against Kentucky Saturday at Neyland Stadium. The score came on a 21-yard pass from Tyler Bray.

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Tennessee avoided dubious history Saturday with a 37-17 win over Kentucky at Neyland Stadium.

The Vols finished the season 5-7 to remain one of two major programs (along with Ohio State) that have never had an eight-loss season.

Tennessee also got its first SEC win of the season to finish 1-7.

Tyler Bray threw four TD passes against Kentucky (2-10, 0-8 SEC) to snap the Wildcats' one-game winning streak in a series that now has seen 108 meetings.

Bray threw two TD passes in the third quarter to send Tennessee to a 34-17 lead.

He hit Mychal Rivera for 29 yards and Cordarrelle Patterson for 21 for the scores.

The only score of the fourth quarter was Michael Palardy's 33-yard field goal.

Kentucky got a 29-yard field goal from Craig McIntosh after a 15-play drive that consumed the first 7:23 of the second half. The Wildcats would not score again in Joker Phillips' final game as head coach.Tennessee led 14-7 after one quarter.Bray passed 21 yards to Zach Rogers on the game's first possession, but Kentucky answered with a sustained drive. Alcoa's D.J. Warren scored on a 1-yard pass from Jalen Whitlow.

The Vols went ahead 14-7 on A.J. Johnson's 2-yard run, then later had a TD pass wiped off by a holding penalty on Tiny Richardson.

The Vols stretched their lead to 20-7 early in the second quarter on a 42-yard TD pass from Bray to Justin Hunter. The PAT was blocked.

Kentucky responded, though, when Jonathan George broke a 45-yard touchdown run that looked all too familiar to Tennessee fans.

Hunter then dropped what would have been a first-down catch in Kentucky territory and that was the Vols' last threat of the half.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BeRealistic writes:

Now. Let's start our future, name our next coach, start recruiting & fire Sal's arse.

SignalMtnVol writes:

And so it ends; not with a bang, but a whimper. Glad this season is over.... Let the coaching search heat up quickly!

6972 writes:

Yawn! About as exciting as kissing your sister....not much to it. Smile fans, 2013 HAS to better than 2012.

GloryDays writes:

Dooley is fired and Tennessee wins! Good ridance! Those who say he left the program in better shape are sadly mistaken. 3 loosing years in a row hasn't happened in over 100 years. The defense lacks talent is very slow, can't tackle and the team knows little about how to win. Attendance and morale is way down. If Fulmer would have stayed the past 4 years the Vols would be better than the current product. Please don't feel sorry for Dooley, he made off with 10 million dollars and trashed a once proud program. Hart needs to cross the checker board with this hire. Go Vols!

oldbasshead writes:

Glad it's over. On to basketball and 2013.

Colts_VolFan writes:

And so passes the Dooley era.

pingkr62 writes:

Glad the nightmare has ended. Time to forget the last few seasons and get on with the next. Hopefully no players leave early, and hoping the next coach stresses no one's job is safe. G.B.O.!!!

spacehistorian writes:

The excruciatingly painful 2012 season is now over. I am glad the seniors were able to go out with a victory over Kentucky to avoid going winless in the SEC. I am sure Vol Nation is ready to move on with a new coach to start of new era of Tennessee football. I hope at this time next year we are discussing which bowl game we are expecting after a great bounce back year.

Smokey91 writes:

It was nice to bully a team in the fourth quarter than to be bullied. As Coach Majors use to say, A win is a win is a win!" Now, on and upward to better things. Get Gruden!!!!!

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

And so passes the Dooley era.

Please, the preferred nomenclature is "Dooley Disaster".

cltvol writes:

I'm happy for Chaney. The guy had a good day and had fun. Only undefeated TN coach I know of.

Ayres_Hall writes:

We haven't been good since 2001.

SummittsCourt writes:

Going into the offseason with a one game winning streak. Next up find a coach and get some recruits who are NFL caliber.

6972 writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

And so passes the Dooley era.

Translation: We just woke up from a long nightmare.

volinlm writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Yeah, and maybe you'll stop your incessant griping.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to cltvol:

The sad part about this win is: Chaney (interim HC) now has as many SEC wins as Dooley the last two seasons..JAT.

jimr07 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Maybe you can find an old dog to kick.

TheCopper writes:

I'm sure Jeff(a.k.a. GlennFordsFoible) will be on here shortly saying something about "Dooloser, Doolaid, etc." , and also blaming us fans for Dooley's inept coaching ability. Don't bother, Jeff. We all know you are a loser and you aren't worth the sweat that dripped off your brother Richmond's backside.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to cltvol:

Hope the next coach keeps him, Jay Graham and the O-Line coach. They made their players improve as a unit.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

We haven't been good since 2001.

Thank you!!!

jimr07 writes:

in response to Smokey91:

I am not a self-appointed know-it-all, but according to Paul Finebaum today, Gruden is a dead issue.

jimr07 writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Thank you!!!

Double that

pingkr62 writes:

in response to jimr07:

As it should be.

movol53 writes:

So the season is over and now some "VOL FANS" can stop complaining that the other VOL FANS back the coach. I was always taught that if you have nothing good to say then keep your mouth shut. The next complaint will come on these boards just as soon as the new coach is named. Someone will not like him. I on the other hand will back my team no matter who is named Head Coach; even if it's GlennFordsFoible just to name one that would test my VOL FANDOM.
Listening to the TV announcers; Ware stated that no one "stood out" in the Heisman race perhaps we could start a "draft Patterson for Heisman Drive". He has meant as much to Tenn is year as any one of those players he named. Plus look at CP's total yards probably over 1800 all purpose yards in one year.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Your comment on the defense being slow is so true. I mean painfully slow. I can't quote 40 times, but the game speed is by far the worst I have seen. Sure, maybe our "alignment" issues cause us to have to cover twice the ground, but we lose the foot races. And those plays that test the edge of our defense work with scary effectiveness.

The next guy at least knows we need more athleticism.

bhenry writes:

Can we please please get some speed on both sides of the ball. A running back with speed today would have rushed for 200 yds.

Supersayin1 writes:

Sad to see the season is over!! I unlike most of you wasn't ready for it to end, because Tennessee football is pretty much the only sport I love! Now I have to wait several months to cheer for the sport and team I love! Yeah I'm a Titans fan, but pro football doesn't offer the same excitment as the win or go home mentality of college football!

Also NO i don't think 2013 will be better especially if the Big 3 leave, because no one on our team behind them can offer what they could.

But anyway I'm gonna miss my VOLS and I guess i'll cheer on my Titans, and make that long wait until I can watch a sport I actually care about again! I have no love for Basketball,baseball, or any other sport!

I hope the Big 3 stays to mature under the right head coach. If they do I believe we can have a very good year next year.

Home run hire
Big 3 Stays = 8- 10 wins
Big 3 goes = 3-9 Season

GO VOLS!!!

6972 writes:

9 months until the next kickoff....already wondering what 2013 will hold....and with who...

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to bhenry:

I could not agree more!!!! Our RB's are so slow,and they simply can't break away for big TD runs! We need a big time RB!

On Defense we need speed everywhere especially on the back end and at Cornerback!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Home run hire
Big 3 Stays = 8- 10 wins
Big 3 goes = 3-9 Season

GO VOLS!!!

As far as sports, I am the same. Nothing close to UT football and such a long time between seasons.

tennezz writes:

Herman Lathers broke a Tenn. record today...He played for 4 Different head coaches!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to bhenry:

Have to agree except Chaney stupidly calls pass plays on 3rd and 2 and insists on throwing 40 yard passes on 2nd and 5..Most backs would have took Lane's long sideline gain to the end zone. He was running like he was hurt but he wasn't limping after the play

TheCopper writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

I figured it wouldn't take you long to post one of your stupid comments. Dooley is gone so shut up! Your obsession with him is scary.

GloryDays writes:

in response to jimr07:

Maybe you can find an old dog to kick.

How about an incompetant lawyer that made off with 10 million dollars who is having a good cry with his mommy!

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Please, the preferred nomenclature is "Dooley Disaster".

And so passes the Dooley disaster. Like a kidney stone with sharp edges.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

You're funny you just described how and why Fulmer was fired. Minus one year With Cucliffe, Fulmer was down,had a losing season. Tickets sales had declined and the talent was down. Good job.

Vols4Ever writes:

We beat the 'Cats in the Unemployment Bowl and now the natural order in the Universe is restored.

RichmondKyVol writes:

The Volunteer faithful can now give thanks that our long national nightmare has ended.

NeedForSpeed writes:

There's nothing more left to say that's worth saying about the Doolie years. There are no lessons to be learned. If anything, the fault lies with the idiots who hired him and approved it and his compensation package. That's where the blame lies, truth be told. The main idiot isn't here anymore either who is responsible for that so I'm going to just chilax and keep an open mind on the future. If the juniors leave, so what. Onwards and upwards.

GerryOP writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

No, Fulmer holds that title ... biggest mess left behind by a Tennessee coach ... ever.

allvol8 writes:

in response to TheCopper:

You are right...but nothing a few meds and electric convulsive therapy cannot fix

movol53 writes:

in response to RichmondKyVol:

Yes our nightmare is over for this season. We will have many bumps at least the next two years no matter who is hired as the next HC. We need speed on both sides of the ball and it would be nice if we had someone that could/would tackle. Unlike many teams going into next year we are 1 - 0!!!! VFL GO VOLS!!!
Now let's make a great hire and get some recruits.

olecountryboy writes:

Since the Dooley era is over, who do we turn to now? Some think Gruden will come. I think thats a pipe dream. Some say Stoops. Why would he leave OU? Some say Strong. Can he win at TN? I still think the best name out there is Patterson. But will he leave TCU? He has built a Good program down there. Can Patterson recruit in the SEC? Im so afraid that TN will get some no-name coach like they did with Dooley.

BUT, take into consideration that TN is in a MUCH better place, then we were when Kitten left. So, will TN spend the money to bring in a Top Shelf Coach? We'll see I guess

pingkr62 writes:

in response to olecountryboy:

I still say Peyton Manning will have some sort of say-so in helping Tennessee pick their next coach. That is why I say Tony Dungy should be the guy. Unless someone gives me a legitimate reason why he shouldn't.

BeRealistic writes:

You posters that can't make a comment without bashing DD, tell your kids, wife, or boyfriend. That BS is getting old. We have to move on from here.

pcorange writes:

I'm shocked to be on here so late and have a relative handful of comments. I watched the first half of the game, but had to go out and winterize my fifth wheel.

I, for one, am proud of how these guys responded and played this week. I know this was Kentucky, but so it was last year and we let them beat us. Whether we wanted Coach Dooley to stay or not, you have to remember he is like a father figure to these boys when they are here. Coach Dooley being fired was a joyous occasion to us, but it was sad news to them. It represents a lot of uncertainty, sadness, shame that they let him down, and a good number of other negative emotions. So, for them to come out today and go out with a W for interim head coach Chaney in convincing fashion is something for us to be happy about as we look to the future with a new coach.

Congrats to the seniors going out with a W as well. Congrats to Coach Chaney for being 1-0 as a head coach. GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

olecountryboy writes:

in response to pingkr62:

I agree that Peyton will have some input, but you also have to think about MONEY. Will UT, Booster pay a proven coach to come here. I sure hope so. Im tired of being irrelevant in College Football. You see so many other programs come in a scoop up big names all the time. Why cant Tn do that? Are we not a storied program with a great stadium and a RABID fan base? They better get this rite this time, because did anybody see the attendance today? Someone said 65K, HA HA HA, Id say more like 45K was in those seats.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to pcorange:

I think it is just the realization of nine months before we can scream during a game. The last game always leaves me a little deflated.
Congrats to the Vols though.

djohnnyg writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

We haven't been good since 2001.

Didn't we get into the SEC Championship game in 2007?

How do you define "good"?

Wauconda_Vol writes: