Tennessee, Kentucky prepare for kickoff at Neyland Stadium

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (84) signs a fans coat as he returns to the locker room after early warmups before their game against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (84) signs a fans coat as he returns to the locker room after early warmups before their game against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11), left, running back Rajion Neal (20), quarterback Tyler Bray (8) and backup quarterback Justin Worley (14) enter the field for warmups one hour before their game against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11), left, running back Rajion Neal (20), quarterback Tyler Bray (8) and backup quarterback Justin Worley (14) enter the field for warmups one hour before their game against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee will try to avoid its first winless season SEC in school history today against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium.

The Vols (4-7, 0-7 SEC) and Wildcats (2-9, 0-7) kick off at 12:21 p.m. The game will be televised on the SEC Network, which is carried on WVLT in Knoxville.

The skies were clear and sunny, but game time temperature was expected to be only 42 degrees. Earlier this week, Tennessee officials said about 81,000 tickets had been sold for the game.

Tennessee interim head coach Jim Chaney, the team's offensive coordinator, will coach from the sidelines. Kentucky coach Joker Phillips, whose firing was announced earlier this month, is in his final game with the Wildcats.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

Would appear our defense stinks no matter the HC

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

The Jinx has left town and so if the Fat Man can just scrape together two brain cells on defense and go out a modicum of self-respect, Coach Chaney and Vols will re-start the streak. Today.

Go Vols!

tennesseetyler writes:

Our defense is consistent. Consistently bad!

brokendownoldvol writes:

Two horribly coached teams playing for last place. Why didn't Hart fire Sunseri while he was at it?

allvol8 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Dooley is gone....get over it

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Give it about 3 hours. Sunseri the Terrible is out the door.

Lil_ZZGataBoy writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Just.Shut.Up.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

Almost untouched TD run for KY. Ughh.

mdvol writes:

Not sure we have anything to even look forward to on defense.

romevol writes:

and another bust by the secondary .. Those guys are getting outrun by UK group that is not known for it's blazing speed

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Give it about 3 hours. Sunseri the Terrible is out the door.

Yea, I wonder how long that disgrace will be allowed to breathe the air in Knoxville before he's sent packing?

GerryOP writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

It's a sad day at the end of a long, sad year ... but the idiot naysaying negaVols keep on showing their lack of class. Anything to attract attention to themselves. What a pitiful, miserable bunch of losers these make-belief so-called Vol fans are.

tensie2004 writes:

Has anyone in our secondardy run down any player on another team even when we had the angle on him? the Kentucky back ran right through the middle on us and we had the angle. I can not remember a single one but there must have been a few!

tensie2004 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Not to take up for glennford but I think he was just making fun of how our athletic director tried to deflect some of the negative issues about Dooley when he fired him. Those were things that Hart said about Dooley and they were not true, just trying to be civil without telling the truth about how bad our program had fallen.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to tensie2004:

I know the switch is confusing but how did we grow so slow? Someone please tell Sal that the tortoise and the hair does not apply to tackling.
Find a new book.

oldbasshead writes:

I love watching UT play football. I hate watching this UT team; half hearted effort on offense; inability on defense.

lomas98 writes:

in response to tensie2004:

Watching our personnel on defense may make potential coaches reconsider their interest. Can't make these guys faster.

killervol69 writes:

in response to tensie2004:

Yes, Gerry, some of us find just a little bit of solace in being sarcastic, and quoting clueless administrators. It sure beats the hell- out of going nuts watching our inept defense watch UK running backs go into the end zone untouched.

skyhawk836 writes:

Two bad teams.

GerryOP writes:

in response to killervol69:

Most adults usually understand that beating a dead horse is only a show of your own ignorance and it doesn't affect the dead horse one bit. You may question Derek Dooley's ability to do the job he was hired to do, but he gave his all for Tennessee. Sometimes you're better off simply saying "Thank you" and then moving on. That would be the adult thing to do.

underthehill writes:

I thought UT was going to put it away early..now they've got Ky thinking they got a chance..

willtowin writes:

I really think Sunseri is working for Tennessee and Alabama. NO defense can be THIS bad!!!!!!

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Agreed.
Also, at what point do we put it on the players?
UT has never gone winless in the SEC. Obviously, that doesn't mean much to this group.
UT is one of two programs in the country that has never lost 8 games in a season. Obviously, that doesn't mean much to this group.
Just listless.

Colts_VolFan writes:

Can't wait to see the rest of this staff go away. This team gets worse every week.

WoodbineVOL writes:

Who would want this job? Someone who really likes a chanllenge or a masochists.

These VOLS are the worst Tenn. team I have ever seen. I would not have thought I would have ever seen a Tennessee that is this bad.

It gonna be a long time before the swagger is restored.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to oldbasshead:

You got that right .

Clarkrm0706 writes:

I noticed no first qtr/ second qtr/ or (as of this post) halftime update stories.

GerryOP writes:

in response to skyhawk836:

Agreed.
Also, at what point do we put it on the players?
Just listless.

Good point. If a group of people refuse to be led, there is not much a leader can do. Of course, Dooley tried by benching Bray, and that caused another meltdown.

I still advocate that the group of guys that were EE's in K'town when Kiffin bolted could have a lot to do with our problems. They were given a choice, play for Dooley of go somewhere else and sit for a year.

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Why write the same old story?

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

Why write the same old story?

Never stopped Adams (lol)

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

I honestly was hoping to see more of Worley in this game even at the risk of going winless in the SEC. It seems that once other teams make an adjustment to TB & co things simply stagnate. I just wonder if the 2nd half will be more of the same disappearance act we have seen for the last 3 yrs.

Colts_VolFan writes:

Jordan Williams couldn't tackle my 11 year old daughter.

OleBubba writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

Jordan Williams couldn't tackle my 11 year old daughter.

The whole team couldn't tackle my 4 year old daughter.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Maybe if you would stop posting on him first, they would stop replying.

killervol69 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

First, that guy (GlensFord) was quoting Hart, and Dooley, excuse me, but I wasn't beating a dead horse, I support PETA. I am almost 70 years young, with a pretty boring life (retired), so I look forward to football season to watch my Vols play. I think you may be the south end of a horse headed north for insinuating I'm anything less than an adult. Maybe you should have some respect for your elders.

TheCopper writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

I hear a baby crying. Oh it's just you again, Jeff. You aren't worth the sweat off your brother Richmond's backside.

GerryOP writes:

in response to killervol69:

Look grumpy, you're not my elder.

Actually, I believe that the Glenn Ford fellow was quoting a fan ... me. I do believe that Dooley did a lot for this program, a job no one else would tackle, and deserves a little more respect. Dooley is gone, act your age and stop beating the dead horse.

tensie2004 writes:

I don't know what is going on with some of you and Glennford but y'all need to cut this Vol fan some slack. He is only stating what he heard or believes just like everyone else. I believe there are more people that agree with him than disagree. As far as Dooley goes, I don't feel sorry for a man who will walk away with 5 million from of athletic dept. for NOT DOING HIS JOB. Sorry but that is what I believe about Dooley. If he was a man of HONOR he would not accept the money for NOT DOING HIS JOB but the lawyer in him will not allow that to happen. Maybe, just maybe, he is a better lawyer than an SEC coach. Sure looks that way to me!

killervol69 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Look grumpy, you're not my elder.

Ha! I can tell your my age or older, you ole big orange grouch. Our arthritic fingers won't allow us to post as fast as these youngsters. Just proud for the kids we got a victory today. I have to admit, grumpy is much nicer than what the old maid calls me daily. I really thought Coach Dooley was a damn nice fella, just wished he could have made the cut in the SEC. He's still young, got a lot of years left in his career, he'll bounce back.

killervol69 writes: