Evan Woodbery: Nine possible candidates for UT's coaching search

Jimbo Fisher

Photo by Phil Sears

Jimbo Fisher

Charlie Strong

Photo by Kevin Rivoli

Charlie Strong

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart hasn't shed any light on who he's targeting to be the Vols' next head coach, so our list doesn't look much different than it did a week ago.

Duke coach David Cutcliffe, a former Tennessee offensive coordinator, has been removed after signing a new contract and pledging not to leave. There have been plenty of other denials, but none so explicit or believable.

(In alphabetical order)

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher: He makes $2.75 million, but could be in line for a raise after three strong seasons with the Seminoles. Fisher issued a very strong denial Monday when asked about his interest in other jobs.

Miami (Fla.) coach Al Golden: He said last week that he made a commitment to Miami and "wants to see it through."

ESPN Monday Night Football commentator Jon Gruden: If he leaves his comfortable announcer's chair, most seem to think he'll head for the NFL. A flood of online "Grumors" has produced no real substance.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy: Gundy coached his 100th game at OSU in an overtime loss to Oklahoma on Saturday. He's 66-34 in his career and makes an impressive $3.2 million at OSU.

Cincinnati coach Butch Jones: Jones has followed an identical career path to Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, his predecessor at Cincinnati. Most assume, like Kelly, that he won't be at Cincinnati long, although rumors that he was bound for Kentucky appear to be premature.

Texas Christian coach Gary Patterson: A well-respected defensive coach, Patterson has built TCU into a powerhouse, but he has rebuffed several offers to leave.

Former Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino: Despite his disgraceful exit from Arkansas, Petrino is considered one of the smartest coaches in the country.

Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart: He'll be a hot coaching candidate for other schools, but given Derek Dooley and Sal Sunseri's struggles, Tennessee will probably seek a proven head coach without ties to Nick Saban.

Louisville coach Charlie Strong: A former defensive coordinator at South Carolina and Florida, Strong is 23-14 in three seasons at Louisville. The Cardinals still have one game left in their regular season.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Orangeblood13 writes:

Patterson if we could get em would be solid IMO

Weatherman writes:

Sign one of the above soon...it's time to recruit!

GloryDays writes:

Why didn't he want a search committee? You have to think Hart has someone lined up or close to it. He is not showing his hand. I believe next Monday December 3 Hart will announce our new coach.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

I think Gary Patterson has to be option 1, pay him and get him here, he fits everything (Athletic dept.)said we want. There's nothing keeping him tied to TCU except loyalty. Then maybe Butch Jones option 2. He has been a head coach a few years now, and if he keeps up what Kelly has done (he's followed him as HC twice now). Then UT might be a great fit and be very happy.

I don't think Gundy would ever leave his Alma Mater and 3.2 million. Plus I'm sure they would pay more, or make someone else pay 5 million to steal him, that's if he wanted to leave.

born2ride writes:

If we don't get Gruden the next coach will be a huge disappointment whoever he is.

Runman280 writes:

in response to born2ride:

I also hope Gruden is the new HC. If it isn't, I just hope it isn't Golden or Petrino.

SouthTexasVol writes:

Coach Bobby Petrino is the answer to our football problems. You dummies juat can't see that. you want a 7-5/ 8-4 coach who's a joker and can't win where he's at.H3ll you forgave slick willie why not bobby.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

They did this with the radio show down in Chattanooga, and I thought it would be interesting to do with the fans here. I will list some of the names that have been thrown out there as serious possibilities, and you say yes or no on whether you would feel like they were a good hire.

1. Jon Gruden
2. Sean Payton
3. Chip Kelly
4. Jim Mora Jr.
5. Todd Graham
6. Jimbo Fisher
7. Mike Gundy
8. James Franklin
9. Gary Patterson
10. Butch Jones
11. Bob Stoops
12. Jim Tressel (would face NCAA sanctions for a couple of years)
13. Bobby Petrino
22. Gus Malzahn
23. Art Briles
24. Brian Billick
25. Mark Dantonio

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to born2ride:

I'm not against Gruden,but he has not coached in several years. He's never coached college as a head coach and never recruited.

To say it would be a disappointment to not get him over some of the top college coaches currently coaching is assuming he would win a NC or something almost guaranteed. That's stretching things a bit.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

1. Jon Gruden
2. Sean Payton
3. Chip Kelly
4. Jim Mora Jr.
5. Todd Graham
6. Jimbo Fisher
7. Mike Gundy
8. James Franklin
9. Gary Patterson
10. Butch Jones
11. Bob Stoops
12. Jim Tressel (would face NCAA sanctions for a couple of years)
13. Bobby Petrino
14. Kirby Smart
15. Al Golden
16. Charlie Strong
17. Dan Mullen
18. Sonny Dykes
19. Tommy Tuberville
20. Steve Sarkisian
21. David Shaw
22. Gus Malzahn
23. Art Briles
24. Brian Billick
25. Mark Dantonio

Get rid of the silly ones.

Remove the ones that have been suspended from the NFL for bounty gate.

Take off the ones coaching at top 10 programs with National history and 4 plus million pay checks.

Get rid of James Franklin who has never beaten a winning team, go check it. I've already listed this too many times to count.

Take off the ones with scandals and terminations to their resumes.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

1. Jon Gruden
2. Sean Payton
3. Chip Kelly
4. Jim Mora Jr.
5. Todd Graham
6. Jimbo Fisher
7. Mike Gundy
8. James Franklin
9. Gary Patterson
10. Butch Jones
11. Bob Stoops
12. Jim Tressel (would face NCAA sanctions for a couple of years)
13. Bobby Petrino
25. Mark Dantonio

1. Absolutely yes
2. Cannot see him staying, but definitely yes
3. Yes, but I'd want some ethical clauses
4. Would be a great coach, but has been abrasive to some people
5. No- not good enough
6. No- Florida State isn't "back"
7. No- can't win the big ones
21. No, but could warm up to him
22. On the fence- not enough experience as HC
23. On the fence- not enough results, but does well with talent
24. Certainly yes, but would be a bigger stretch than Gruden
25. No

woodwr#217203 writes:

Butch Jones gets a LOT out of his players and they LOVE him.

mountainbrook writes:

Butch Jones is one of the few coaches that Dooley beat. No thanks.

Wauconda_Vol writes:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
2: He has college head coaching experience (.743 winning percentage to appease the Fulmerists).
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.
5: Last time I checked, he appears to be able to mangage the recruitment process.
6: How many more bridges can the man burn? He's 51 years old and (I assume) looking for a legacy beyond "failed NFL coach" and "adulterer."
7: And honestly, who can we get that is more likely to provide results on a timetable that can perk up the big donors?

No, I don't agree with some of his choices. But the guy can coach. Hart should craft a contract with a ton of potential upside, as well as a rather extreme punitive downside. It's probably our best chance at getting back on the road to football prosperity.

tdvol1989 writes:

Another useless article. All we are getting is who might be a candidate and why they wouldn't be interested. There is no one unexpected on this list and Evan isn't taking a position of who is more likely. Apparently, the only thing the press does aggressively is bury stories that put President Obama in a negative light.

I am sure Evan is a nice guy, but I would strongly prefer if he would either put 2 or 3 out there that are more likely, or 2 or 3 that he recommends. I know Hart is playing this VERY close to the vest, but it is time to step up and pet the pony!

redskinvol1 writes:

1)Gruden 2)Tressel 3)Stoops 4)Fisher 5)Patterson Everyone else will be a major let down.Hart will be viewed as a Tide spy that is trying to kill the program from within.Hart must hire one of these guys.Vol nation wants the best.PAY ONE OF THESE MEN WHATEVER THEY WANT!!

gwavescVOL writes:

in response to born2ride:

I posted this the other day, but this is a more approriate topic:

Why Gruden? He's done nothing that should make us believe he is a sure fire guaranteed success! Have no problem with him as the coach if 2-3 of the other names say no. He'll bring some fire with him and will recruit well. But those things will both be short lived if he can't win ballgames, something he has not proven he can do with consistency. He's not been on a college FB sideline in over 20yrs (then only a grad asst mind you). Then as an NFL HC went 40-28 in Oakland, pretty good but that still only got him in the playoffs with nothing to show for the appereances. Then after winning the SB his first year in Tampa thanked Dungy publicly in the postgame SB ceremony (not to mention W.Sapp and several other Tampa players spoke out giving credit to Dungy). The next two seasons he went 7-9 and 5-11. There are significantly better choices out there.

TennesseeTim writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

I totally agree with your post. Petrino is a great coach who would make the Vols an SEC contenders in his first season.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Get rid of the silly ones.

Remove the ones that have been suspended from the NFL for bounty gate.

Take off the ones with scandals and terminations to their resumes.

I did get rid of a lot of the "silly ones" that would be completely obvious "no" (people saying Terry Bowden, etc). There's some in here that I think are obvious no candidates, but if I put only yes people, there wouldn't be a way to gauge where someone's cutoff point would be

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

I have an issue with how reckless he was and then lied to the AD. Yes, I know that covering up is a first instinct, but Pearl lied to the AD too.

But also, I wasn't impressed with his recruiting. The really good players he found were more like sleepers. He is too inbred with his staff. And, I know he is an offensive mind, but so is Spurrier. But, Spurrier always hired good defensive minds.

Having said the reasons why I would not really prefer him, I will admit this. He is a better option than Al Golden or Charlie Strong. And, I believe he is better than Jimbo. In my opinion, risking he would do something stupid is better than risking hiring someone that might field a bad team.

alavol writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

agreed totally. make the offer, Hart!

Wauconda_Vol writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Your comment on "defensive minds" is spot on. The "Petrino Path to Prosperity" should definitely include UT inspired guidance on the new DC.

One thing I like about the Petrino option is our (possible) ability to have more say in the staff structure.

gwavescVOL writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

Agreed, I think he would win and recruit sooner than anyone. As for the other stuff, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he has learned from his mistakes. This benefits us because we could get him at a good price without a big buyout, if necessary.

JBruce writes:

Al Golden, Dan Mullen, James Franklin, Butch Jones, Tommy Tuberville, Sonny Dykes.

That's a list of the coaches Tennessee has a REALISTIC chance of getting and I would take them in that order.

tdvol1989 writes:

A Listers

1. Jon Gruden
2. Jim Mora, Jr

B Listers

3. Petrino
4. Butch Jones
5. Larry Fedora

C Listers

Go back to B. Charlie Strong has not done enough yet. He is the flavor of the week right now, almost fad-ish. No Al Golden. Decent coach, but very similar to Dooley. Jimbo has signed some really good talent and cannot dominate the ACC. We need a coach that doesn't have to sign the #1 class to win. Mora took a very similar UCLA team and made them respectable in 1 year. He is grossly underpaid. Jones had a blip down at then end of the season, but he is a winner and very good strategist. Fedora will upset the fans, but he is the NO WAY hire that would win. But here is the deal. If you can't get a guy who is on the A list, then just go with Petrino. I don't want him. But, don't hire another Dooley.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

He's the best available option. A proven winner, and we won't have to out-bid Arkansas for him. He needs a tough athletic director, and we have one. Hart will keep him on a short leash. He made a huge mistake, and paid a heavy price for it. Hopefully he learned something, like most of us learn from our mistakes. Of course, the sanctimonious fans who have never made a mistake will oppose this hire. Too bad.

runninbroke writes:

in response to JBruce:

That list is scary if that is all the realistic chance we have! Golden- Miami hasnt been that impressive this year, Muller-going south quickly, Franklin-??? A gamble but who knows, so far so good. Butch Jones-unproven, Tuberville-past prime, Sonny Dykes- Fan base will not approve.
Petrino with a cheap contract with moral clauses and bonuses for success and cheap buyout is the way to go.

tvol71 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

I agree, except I doubt Patterson will leave TCU, and he already makes $3.5 Mil. I think Jones would do well.

tennezz writes:

in response to redskinvol1:

I like Fisher, he is a very good recruiter and this is something we must have!

kaman writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

I completely agree, Petrino has all of the right background. More to the point, he's learned his lesson. Wife did not divorce him and he's expressed his remorse. Looking for a second chance to get it right. Craft the contract properly and sign him before someone else wises up.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to born2ride:

Get ready to be disappointed, but seeing that it is you, who cares?

SummittsCourt writes:

Gruden will not be the next Tennessee head coach.

Why would fans want him? He's an average NFL coach what a bogus SB win with Dungy's team against his old team.

I don't think his "fame" will be that impressive to HS recruiting. He would be lost in the recruiting process.

Not to mention he would only be here 3-4 years before he would move on to the NFL again where he truly wants to be.

The only real candidates are Charlie Strong, Gary Patterson & Butch Jones.

pcshowtime writes:

Look guys I want gruden if we can not get him it better be cause he turned us down. Any proven coach worth a darn is going to want atleast 4 mil and complete control it is the saban precedent. I want gruden but if we can not get him.
Why do we chance hiring a successful coach from another conference it makes since to hire someone who has already won in the sec. Here are the coaches that come to mind.
1. Bob Petrino
can be had cheap, is a sec winner, never any ncaa problems, put a big buyout on him if he leaves or screws up morally.
2. James Franklin
Who cares if coached at vandy, People do not like him who cares his players love him. honestly, if I saw dooley acting like he had just won the National championship after barely beating me I would want whip his A__ also and guess what he did. He has signed nine 4 stars to vandy for this year. I did not know there were nine 4 star recruits in the country that could get in vandy.
3.Dan mullen late season collapses not good.
4. Tommy Tubberville While at auburn always won games he was not supposed to but would lose 1 or 2 as double digit favorite.

crutch1966 writes:

in response to titletownz:

would you shut the h3ll up about zook?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to crutch1966:

would you shut the h3ll up about zook?

How about would he shut the hell up, period!?

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to born2ride:

WRONG!!!

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to titletownz:

look the fat kid is dying for attention

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

Well, its nice to see all the choses we have, but the one and only question is who will it be? We as fans have our personal favorites, and that means no matter who we get someone is not going to be happy and we'll all be on here saying the same thing, "Are you kidding me with this hire". Point is who ever it is we truly need to sit back for a bit and let it work itself out. Bumps are going to come for sure. We need to see the results of the recruiting and then see them play. Petrino, Patterson, Gruden, Strong, Jones, Stoops, it doesn't matter who it is, they have to put in a system that these guys can produce out of. Spread, Pro, wish bone, 3-4-4, 4-3-4, 3-3-5, it doesn't matter unless we can get the players to understand it and we as fans give it a chance to work. I'm just ready to see who it is and we get down to business so we can shut the naysayers the hell up. GBO VFL!!!

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to born2ride:

It's strange how some of you latch onto something and become obsessed. Gruden would be a big name, but he's far from the best choice for this job. But y'all go on and keep obsessing on Gruden. After year 3 when he's 15-21, you'll be lamenting what a mistake it was to hire a NFL guy with no college experience.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

1. Jon Gruden
2. Sean Payton
3. Chip Kelly
4. Jim Mora Jr.
5. Todd Graham
6. Jimbo Fisher
7. Mike Gundy
8. James Franklin
9. Gary Patterson
10. Butch Jones
11. Bob Stoops
12. Jim Tressel (would face NCAA sanctions for a couple of years)
13. Bobby Petrino
14. Kirby Smart
15. Al Golden
16. Charlie Strong
17. Dan Mullen
18. Sonny Dykes
19. Tommy Tuberville
20. Steve Sarkisian
21. David Shaw
22. Gus Malzahn
23. Art Briles
24. Brian Billick
25. Mark Dantonio

Where's Zook? He's always been UT fan's favorite UF coach.

OldNumber7 writes:

There is only 1 coach on this list with demonstrated ability to build an SEC program to a championship competing level with difficult recruiting leverage. I don't see why there's a question. Do what Bama did.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to titletownz:

Florida Head Coach in waiting

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

What's wrong with being obsessed with Gruden as next Vols coach. You are obsessed with the Vols

mlynn1 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Shut the hell up and worry about your own team.

vol98champ writes:

in response to kaman:

Some common sense is finally breaking through the Vol Nation. If Gruden wanted the job he would either be the head coach by now or Hart doesn't want him. Hart has to make the right choice. Petrino is the only sure thing.

SummittsCourt writes:

You want real coaching news? Go here:

punkin writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Yep...I'll get smacked upside the head for this, but why not Petrino?
1: We should be able to get him for a reasonable price.
3: Morally bankrupt? Possibly.
4: NCAA sanction generator? Not likely.

You left one off the list. He violated state and federal law in the hiring of the blonde at a public university.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to FulmerDestoyedUT:

Ok, that was funny (but true).

Clarkrm0706 writes:

Recruiting is the reason Gruden is mentioned often.

underthehill writes:

in response to VolsFanInAfghanistan:

Careful study of the current recruiting, schedule for next year, and current roster (after the NFL prospects leave) appears to indicate the results for next year ..and maybe the year after..will not be a whole lot better than this year..so keeping attendance at a respectable level may depend a great deal on who is hired as head coach.. Petrino might just be the best available..the voters of TN just sent a Doctor to the House of Rep that makes Petrino look like a Saint..I would rather UT hire Petrino than for KY to get him..