John Adams: Coaching (not Christmas) lists, the buzz this holiday season

John Adams
FILE - In this Sept. 17, 2011, file photo, Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino motions to a player during the second quarter of an NCAA college football game against Troy, in Fayetteville, Ark. For Arkansas, the Cotton Bowl game means another trip to Cowboy Stadium, where a big comeback three months ago proved to be a catalyst for their season.(AP Photo/Danny Johnston, File)

Who was Tennessee's MVP this season?

See the results »

View previous polls »

I've made my coaching list, checked it more than twice and revised it several times.

Please note that my list of preferred coaching candidates for Tennessee's football program is subject to further revision. For example, I dropped one coach from the list after watching his team lose Saturday.

Also, please note that being dropped from my list doesn't mean you can't be included again later.

My list doesn't include Jon Gruden of "Monday Night Football" or Bob Stoops of Oklahoma Sooner fame. But you already know where I stand on the biggest and best rumors of the coaching search.

If you can't get those guys, I recommend the following;

1. Bobby Petrino: I think I've already made this clear: I don't care about his scandalous exit from Arkansas.

Not only has he won, he has won in the SEC. In four seasons, he turned the Razorbacks from losers into a No. 5-ranked team.

Ask any defensive coordinator in the conference what coaches they would least like to match wits with on game day, and Petrino would be on their short list.

2. Jim Mora Jr.: As a rule, I would like to see more of a track record as a college head coach, but he also has been an NFL head coach. Moreover, I'm dazzled by the transformation he has made in just one year at UCLA.

He hasn't just won in his first season with the Bruins. His first recruiting class was a huge upgrade over anything predecessors Rick Neuheisel or Karl Dorrell delivered.

So what if he has been at UCLA only one season. Football isn't the priority there that it is at Tennessee.

Translation: UT could win a bidding war.

3. Art Briles: A longtime successful Texas high school coach, he already has rebuilt two college programs: first at Houston, then at Baylor.

As a high school coach, he developed one quarterback after another for colleges. In college, he has turned out pros Kevin Kolb and Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III.

4. Tommy Tuberville: You could argue that his best days are behind him. But did you see him slap that headset off a Texas Tech assistant in the heat of battle?

That tells me he hasn't lost his competitive fire.

He improved Ole Miss while it was under NCAA sanctions and he fielded an unbeaten team at Auburn. He also has improved Texas Tech's recruiting.

5. James Franklin: I'm breaking one of my own rules here by ignoring his lack of head-coaching experience. Two years isn't long enough to prove you can sustain a program.

But he has an overall winning record after two seasons at Vanderbilt. And his team just won its eighth game this season.

That's unheard of at Vanderbilt.

I don't know what's more surprising: How well he has recruited or how hard and confidently his team is playing.

6. Mike Gundy: He has averaged more than nine victories a year in his past five seasons at Oklahoma State. That's heady stuff for a program that goes about its business in Oklahoma's huge shadow.

The possibility of triggering an "over 40" type rant at a media conference would be a bonus.

7. Gary Patterson: He has done a great job at TCU, where his team frequently looks better coached than the competition.

But until this season, his success had come in the Mountain West Conference.

8. Rich Rodriguez: Never mind that he didn't succeed at Michigan. There's a reason Alabama tried to hire this guy when it didn't think it could land Nick Saban.

He's a great offensive coach as he proved during his success at West Virginia — and as he has proved again in his first season at Arizona.

9. Larry Fedora: His first North Carolina team is 8-4. His last Southern Mississippi team was 12-2.

Like Mora, he's in his first season at his current school. And like Mora, his current school doesn't care about football the way UT does.

10. Pat Fitzgerald: He has had only two losing seasons in seven years at Northwestern. The former Northwestern linebacker still looks young and fit enough that you could suit him up and sneak him onto the field when shorthanded.

asleep#212036 writes:

I hadn't really thought about Fitzgerald but winning at Northwestern isn't that far off from winning at Vandy - and he has won a lot against better teams. He is an alum, which would make his departure less likely but then again, we care more about football than they do (translation: we can make you rich if you'll just stab your alma mater in the back this one time). He's a defensive coach, which we need, and he is also therefore less likely to mess with the offense, ie.. Chaney, Pittman, or Graham. For once, not a bad call Mr. Adams. Hart may just give him a chat at the meeting next weekend. Go Vols!!!

BolivrBob writes:

I wonder what John will cut and paste tomorrow.

Rumblefish writes:

uhhhh....hey john adams, your editor approve of you re-hashing an old article to meet a deadline or something? wow.

Chip Kelly (start over with new scheme to win in the BEST conference in college football)
Mike Gundy (has a good shot at retaining CP, Bray and Hunter with his offense)

Rumblefish writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Did you just say that Northwestern winning in the Big 10 is winning against "better teams" than winning against teams in the SEC???? Surely you jest....

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

I jest not. Their record every year will include wins over decent Big 10 teams, Vandy's record never includes wins against good SEC teams. Their historical 5-3 SEC record includes wins over UT (5-7), Kentucky (2-10), Missouri (4-8), Auburn (3-9), and Ole Miss (6-6). Not so impressive, huh? Vandy's eight wins this year include exactly zero wins against FBS teams with winning records. When's the last time Vandy, no matter what their record, actually beat a good SEC team with a winning record? I grew up in Nashville and I can tell you it's been a long time and it's rare. Northwestern has beaten Michigan, Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin, etc... on a fairly regular basis considering their place in the Big 10 football hierarchy. They have won NYD bowl games, something Vandy can't say having never been to one since the scholarship era began. My only question is Fitzgerald's ability to recruit the south which, as a Northwestern alum, I doubt he would be able to do for quite a few years. Bummer. Go Vols!!!

Orangeblood64 writes:

Finally an article I agree with. Jim Mora is the man. Show him the love- $$$$- an he will be south bound. if you look at everything he brings to the table. he's the man for job

BigOrangeRock writes:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Pat Fitzgerald's records.....overall & conf

2006--(4-8) (2-6)
2007--(6-6) (3-5)
2008--(9-4) (5-3)
2009--(8-5) (5-3)
2010--(7-6) (3-5)
2011--(6-7) (3-5)
2012--(9-3) (5-3)

Where exactly do you see him being good enough to win in the SEC???? Come on dude. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but look at that record in a recent-historical weak Big 10.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

What the h3ll kind of list did you see??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

What the h3ll kind of list did you see??

td writes:

Mike Gundy is NOT the coach Tennessee needs. His jump in success is a consequence of having Dana Holgerson (WVa now) and Todd Monckton as his OC. If the Vols hire Gundy, they will regret firing Derek Dooley!

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to td:

so in your view a coach doesnt get credit for hireing good coordinators but gets the blame if the coordinators dont prove out to be good?---in your thinking just how then does a coach with a good record deserve some credit?

cloudodust writes:

I stopped reading this 'List' when the explanation for accepting Petrino came to light. JA, before the Razorpigs fiasco was his midnight train-ride from Georgia to the Land That Time Forgot...The guy's baggage far outweighs his abililty to make roots either by motorcycle or his gypsy spirit. Geez, get over the love-fest for another Here Today, Gone Tomorrow scuz-bucket...

Rumblefish writes:

in response to td:

Agreed with fred flinstone. You not think a coach deserves credit for hiring the right assitants to succeed???? There is something wrong with you man. Just look at Fulmer's record with Cutcliff and without.

rb4346 writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

You need to get your head out of the Fuller sandpile. Great story by John and I don't always agree with John. Keep up the good work.

papavol writes:

I agree with the list especially of Patterson and definitely Petrino. Heck, if UK gets Petrino, UT is in a world of hurt. Tubberville is definitely a possibility and i agree, his lashing proves he still has it in him. Rich Rod would be a gamble with the spread, but he really wasn't given the support that he needed at Michigan. But if Petrino is on that list, I think you've got to consider Butch Davis.

My christmas list is as follows:

1. Gruden
2. Patterson
3. Petrino
4. Strong
5. Gundy
6. Mora jr.
7. B. Davis
8. Tubbs
9. Jimbo
10. stoops

If it all falls apart, here are a few names i could possibly get excited about, Just to throw a few names out there:

- Mario Cristobal (turned FIU around, yeah... FIU)
- Dave Doeren (22-4 in 2 seasons at NIU)
- Kyle Wittingham (Utah... enough said)
- Jim Leavit (single handedly built USF)
- Sunny Dykes (yeah... i know)
- Rick Stockstill (MTSU dude)
- Randy Shannon (because we need defense)
- Bo Pelini(we need some passion, he could bring it)
- Tressel (not even sure if its a possibility)

Rumblefish writes:

in response to papavol:

My christmas list is as follows:

1. Gruden
2. Patterson
3. Petrino
4. Strong
5. Gundy
6. Mora jr.
7. B. Davis
8. Tubbs
9. Jimbo
10. stoops

- Mario Cristobal (turned FIU around, yeah... FIU)
- Dave Doeren (22-4 in 2 seasons at NIU)
- Kyle Wittingham (Utah... enough said)
- Jim Leavit (single handedly built USF)
- Sunny Dykes (yeah... i know)
- Rick Stockstill (MTSU dude)
- Randy Shannon (because we need defense)
- Bo Pelini(we need some passion, he could bring it)
- Tressel (not even sure if its a possibility)

You started off your list with Gruden...come on man, he is not coming here. GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULL.

You finished off your list with Tressel....do you know he has a SHOW CAUSE ORDER FROM THE NCAA?????

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously??

papavol writes:

And oh yeah, Petrino is by and far the best coach available right now.. Didn't say he is the best person or that he is "the guy" but he is definitely the best coach. If UK gets him and we get stuck with another dooley, we will become the kentucky or ole miss of the SEC. I don't want that.

papavol writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously??

My reason for gruden...BECAUSE ITS A "WISH LIST". I don't know if you've heard, but there are a few people that would like for him to come..

Did you see what i wrote in parenthesis next to tressel?? apparently not. I know that he has a show cause but i'm not familiar with all of the rules or strings that could be pulled.

So instead of making yourself look like a fool, why don't you add something intelligent to this post?

runninbroke writes:

Petrino would turn us around in two years and thats almost guaranteed. He is a proven winner wherever he has gone! Course the baggage may not be worth it since there is a lot of it but he can flat coach!!

papavol writes:

in response to runninbroke:

agreed 100%

Rumblefish writes:

in response to papavol:

"wish list"....uhhh, the time for "wishing" is over my friend. it's time (and has been for quite a while) to get someone in here that can do some good and produce results. Why in the hell would you want Gruden????---for all his head coaching experience at the college level?-(none) for his recruiting experience?-(none) for his mediocre NFL resume?

The only reason folks on here want him to come is from the little tidbits they see of him on ESPN berating a college QB and for his pseudo-animosity on monday night football. People with any ounce of football knowledge know he isn't right for college (here or anywhere).

Put my $0.02 in? No problem. Chip Kelly (challenge him to win in the best NCAA conf) or Mike Gundy (ability to keep Bray, Hunter, and CP with his offense).

rb4346 writes:

in response to papavol:

Absolutely correct. We don't need another Dooley, if we get one then Tennessee Football will be set back years!

papavol writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

I agree for the most part. Gruden did win a SB but obviously that has nothing to do with college coaching. I think what most people like about him is the passion that he would bring to winning at UT. His name would recruit for itself. other than that, petrino and patterson are on the top of my list. as far as CK, yeah, he would be an awesome hire... I just don't feel like its a possibility with his situation. Would be an amazing hire though. I like Gundy a lot but he is coaching at his alma mater so that alone could take him out of the conversation. worth a shot though.

rickytopvol writes:

in response to rb4346:

Fulmer Fulmer Fulmer!!! I totally agree with BigOrangeRock, Fulmer is by far a better option than anybody on the list. I don't guess idiots like rb4346 can remember Fulmer won the SEC east at least every third year for the 16 years he was there. That he won 75% of his games. That he won SEC championships. And lets not forget he won a national championship. So tell me rb4346 which coach on that list has anywhere near that resume. You and all of the other haters got us into this mess and you'll just want to keep on digging us deeper into it. Not only would I put Fulmer on top of this list, there are only a couple of coaches in the entire country I would take over him.

midgetangel#279179 writes:

Minus Tubberville (he can recruit, but 3-5, 2-7 and 4-5 the last three years in the Big 12 doesn't cut it for me) and Rodriguez (4-5 this year in the Pac 12, 2-6, 1-7 and 3-5 in the Big 10+ with Mich. Tell me again why this guy is a good coach.) and otherwise, the list is good to me.

One name that needs to be higher is Larry Fedora. I live in Hattiesburg where he was the coach at Southern Miss. He had some bonehead losses here, but 12-2 with a win over a top-10 undefeated Houston team in 2011. He bolts for NCarolina and Southern Miss is 0-12 this year. He is an excellent last resort choice!

Take Tub and Rich out. Other than that, probably the one article I actually agree with John on the most of it.

td writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

Your logic would hold merit if all his hires proved to be a stroke of genius. Gundy is a favorite son of OSU. He did not turn the corner in success until he hired Trooper Taylor after Phil Fulmer declined to promote Troop to OC after Cutcliffe left for Duke. Troop was promised the position of co-OC. Didn't happen, but he did bring in good recruits. Troop left for Auburn.

Gundy did hire Holgerson and Monckton but look at the defensive side. By your reasoning, since Dooley retained Chaney, Dooley should still be the coach at Temnessee.

Obviously, neither you nor I can do anything but speculate; however, since I live in the Oklahoma City area (1/4 mile from where David Oku went to HS and 2 miles from where Gundy attended HS as well as Jonathan Brown - mid 90's Vol), I've followed Coach Gundy for years (as well as his brother Cale at Oklahoma), I just have an opinion that Mike Gundy is best suited for his current job at his "Old Tomater," and Tennessee would be better served by another candidate.

bobbyutvol writes:

We are looking to win games and fill the house with 106,000 fans. Petrino is the best choice. People make mistakes every coach on the list has made them. Petrino is a winner and thats what Vol fans want. Patterson would also be a great choice. If I could not get my pick I would go with Fulmer to steady the ship for three years, The man can recruit and coach and loves UT very well known in the South its all about winning that sells tickets and revenue.

DocVelo writes:

This is actually not a bad list, but I have to point out that Tuberville--though I believe he is a good coach--was forced out at Auburn in the same year that Fulmer was forced out at UT with an identical record. Since then, his record at Texas Tech has been middling. He's also not that much younger than Fulmer. So how is he an upgrade over Phil, exactly?

Northwestern's coach *has* done an excellent job, and I'm surprised that his name hasn't come up in many coaching vacancy discussions. Dunno if he could develop the necessary recruiting connections in the South, however.

rb4346 writes:

in response to rickytopvol:

This whole mess started with Fullmer, he got to lazy to coach. If he was still coaching, the Vols would be lucky to have a 5-7 record. You need to forget the past and move on with your thinking. Have a good day.

DocVelo writes:

in response to rickytopvol:

I don't think that Fulmer is better than every coach on this list, but he *is* better than some. I don't think bringing him back would work because there are still too many "fans" that dislike him and because too many bridges were burned, but I don't think that just because he is on the older side and has been out of coaching for a few years that that disqualifies him. Look at how Bill Snyder has done in his second go at Kansas State after a similar decline during the later years of his first tenure at Kansas State and after what would be a layoff similar in length. I can't say that Fulmer would do as well if he started coaching again, but I can't say that he wouldn't. I believe he could make a very fine coach given the right FBS opening. He didn't make it into the Hall of Fame on his first ballot for no reason.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to titletownz:

I'm with you on Zook. Defensive genius. High moral character and had some success as a HC. Let the petition start here. Titletownz, your in charge of that. Good work. I'm sure Zook and you are known personally to one another.....maybe a well placed word from you over wine during the hoildays gives UT the inside track. BTW what is the ole Zooker up to lately? Bonzaivol

rickytopvol writes:

in response to rb4346:

What are you talking about? "This whole mess started with Fulmer"? You guys (Fulmer haters) are hilarious. I mean it would be funny if it weren't so sad. You say the whole mess stated with Fulmer. Tell me when that exactly was. Was that in his last full season as head coach (2007) when we won 10 games, won the SEC east, and finished the year ranked 12th. Or was it the year before that (2006) when we won 9 games, finished 2nd in the east, and finished in the top 25. Or maybe it was the year before that (2005) when we lost 6 games (we lost 4 of the games by a combined 17 points). Or maybe it was the year before that (2004) when we won 10 games, won the east, and finished 13th in the final polls. Or maybe it was the year before that (2003) when we won 10 games, tied for 1st in the east, and finished 15th in the final polls. Excuse me I would continue, but why don't you tell me when "this mess" actually started because I am very curious to know. It appears to me to have started Nov. 3, 2008. All you Fulmer haters sound like Obama supporters, the only difference is they blame Bush and you'll blame Fulmer. The best I can tell in 2008 we were only a good offensive coordinator away from being a great team and now we are so much further away from that it makes this old Vols fan very sad. It didn't have to be this way. So for all you haters out there that weren't happy winning 10 games and the SEC east every 2 or 3 years please explain when all "this mess" started (please supply fact and not just "i think it started with Fulmer").

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

1) Ron Zook
2) Joker Phillips
3) Hal Mumme
4) Terry Bowden
5) Gene Chizik

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

So, since Peyton Manning has openly lobbied for Gruden to Tennessee, I guess he has no football sense?

Manning > Rumblefish

td writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

See the 11:58 post. Let's deal in data regarding Mike Gundy as a worthy HC for Tennessee. His record against Texas (Mack Brown) is 2-6. The Oklahoma ledger (Bob Stoops) reads a dismal 1-7, and the scores vs Oklahoma (overall) ain't pretty either: 42-14; 27-21; 49-17; 61-41; 27-0; 10-44 (12-1 Season); 51-48. In 2011, OSU had the inside track to play LSU for the BCS Championship but lost to Iowa State.

Further, from 2001 to 2004, Coach Gundy served as Les Miles' OC at OSU with records of 4-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 7-5. Gundy assumed the HC position at Oklahoma State with four years of his recruits and his offense. He promptly posted a 4-7 record.

So, Rumblefish how long have you had this urge to lash out at people ("There is something wrong with you man.")? Take two aspirins and maybe you'll feel better about yourself.

zackster writes:

John Adams, I don't think you went to UT. If so, I think you'd want the head coach, who is about the most recognizable person at a college, to have some morals. You'd want your school to have a good reputation. How far does you "morals don't matter" attitude extend ? To the AD ? How about the Chancellor ? How about the UT president ? I'm disaapointed in all media persons are pushing a "win-at-all-costs" attitude. Think about it. What example do you you want your head coach to set for Tennessee youth? Isn't that important ?

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

Please..... Go get some therapy.

Bigger_Al writes:

Disagree with Art Briles. Undoubtedly, he is a great choice - in TEXAS. All his HS connections live in Texas. Hang his hat in Tennessee, and he is starting from scratch.

BigOrangeRock writes:

I would take Meyer, Saban, or Les Miles over Fulmer at this point. I like Patterson a little, he might work. Petrino would be on equal footing, but with his baggage I would rather have Fulmer.

Fulmer 152-52 in the SEC. SEC East Champion 7 games before getting canned by the idiot who hired Dooley. A Proven winner.

Mike Hamilton started this mess. Fulmer can fix it.

HIRE FULMER BACK.

The Rock has spoken.

BigOrangeRock writes:

I got an idea. Fire a legend. Suck for 4 years. Then hire a guy who was having sex with a 20 year old blond from Birmingham.

naaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

HIRE FULMER BACK TODAY.

TommyJack writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

You're just kidding around, right Rock?

I agree with Adams on Petrino.

volboy81 writes:

in response to cloudodust:

Are you really surprised John Adams likes Bobby Petrino? Makes sense to me. Neither has much going for them in the "my momma raised me right" catagory!

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Larry Jones
Emory Bellard
John L Smith

and the fan at the Auburn airport -

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to rickytopvol:

I am NOT a Fulmer hater, or anybody hater for that matter. However, check Fulmer's record against Spurrier, Saban, Meyer, and anybody in the top 25 for the last 7 years. You will discover he was .325 against the top 25. Like Dooley, he feasted on the cupcakes.

in response to papavol:

If the Vols were this year's "ole miss of the SEC", that would be a big step up from where they are now. Some say Hugh Freeze of Ole Miss did the best coaching job of the year in the SEC. He certainly wouldn't be the "WOW!" hire everybody says the Vols need now, but he would be worth considering if all the bigger names fall through.

LaneBrains writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Fulmer is the better pick over every name in that list.

Bobby P is the second best coach in the nation...We like his style. Arthur Blank and the U of Ak, are terrible people to work for...they care too much about the off-the-field stuff and character!

I'd take him if I were Mike Hamilton!

CLK, Monte and Ed

rickytopvol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Like I said you guys are hilarious. I wonder why you picked 7 years. It wouldn't of been that those numbers would have been a lot better if you would look at the last 6 years would it? You can try and justify the firing however you want to but the fact is Fulmer finished in the top 25 13 times in his 15 full seasons. Why don't you quote some numbers from years 3 through 6. You disregard those years for some reason. Was Fulmer leading those teams? Do you not realize some things started to change in the athletic department that was out of Fumler control starting in 2002 season. Problems that still exist. I guess not. I guess you and a lot of other people like to have a scapegoat. I guess you can not realize a team might have a down year or two over a 15 year stretch. The longest Fulmer went without finishing 1st or 2nd in the east was 1 year. We are four years removed from his tenure and no 1st or 2nd place finish are anywhere in sight. Finally what do you mean Dooley feasted on the cupcakes? If you haven't noticed the cupcakes are now feasting on us. Fire Fulmer got any other good ideas?

Truman writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Missouri finished 5-7. It was a horrible season to be sure; however, the Tigers' win vs. the Vols did count.

baddon writes:

living in Atl..let me tell you about Petrino..he is a TOTAL Jerk...QUIT on the Falcons mid-season...NEVER talked to the players before leaving, left a "form letter" in their lockers..was totally DESPISED by everyone in the org. from office staff to the players...interviewed for the Auburn job when his former boss was STILL EMPLOYED there.,..cheated on his wife, actually committed a crime by illegally hiring his bimbo for a state job without disclosing his relationship with her, lied to his AD after the accident....there is a reason he's never been in one place for more than 3-4 yrs..and you would be proud for him be your football coach??..and don't give me "he wins"..there are alot of high character guys out there that "win"...