Philadelphia report says Eagles keen to hire Gruden

Jon Gruden has become a hot item on the coaching wish list this season.

(Associated Press)

Jon Gruden has become a hot item on the coaching wish list this season. (Associated Press)

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, right, stands with his wife Cindy during the premier of The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story premiered at the Tennessee Theatre on Wednesday, February 16, 2011.

Photo by Saul Young

A Philadelphia TV station is fanning the Jon Gruden flames, just not in a way Tennessee fans might want.

Fox 29's Howard Eskin, citing sources in the Philadelphia Eagles' organization, says that the team would be interested in hiring the former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach, and that their has at least been interest on Gruden's side to make the move.

Eskin says that he's been told that Gruden, "wants to go to a team that can win, and the key, has a quarterback."

In addition to the Eagles and Vols, San Diego has also been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Gruden. In fact, today's report doesn't even mention Gruden considering the college game.

Still, according to Eskin, the Eagles remain the frontrunner.

"He loves Philadelphia, thinks the Eagles will be a good team next year, and the key here: He likes the backup quarterback, Nick Foles, who he has already worked out while working for ESPN."

Continue reading at Fox 29

SummittsCourt writes:

Hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so.

Time to move on from the Gruden madness.

VOLsince68 writes:

Yep.

Ironcity writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so.

Time to move on from the Gruden madness.

We don't need to move on just move forward. In time everything will sort itself out. I have no problem not getting Gruden but if we end up with another mid major coach I think I will puke.

dcibrando writes:

guys... this is an old article posted Nov. 8th. this says nothing new and my guess is things have changes since then on several fronts

lomas98 writes:

Everyone is so adamant he is coming to tn, nobody believes any other article stating rumors to somewhere else. We now have people saying this is an old article and things have changed from this stance. Our own fan base is setting up the next guy , whomever it may be, to be a second rate hire due to some love affair with a coach whose wife went to tn. Everyone needs to come off this all eggs in gruden basket.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Idk.... I think San Diego would be a better situation. Gruden likes veteran QBs: Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia. If I were Gruden (and I wanted to go NFL), I'd much rather take the Chargers job because of Phillip Rivers, a better/softer fan base, and better weather. Oakland is weak and I don't know what's going on in KC. All he'd have to do is split with Denver and he's in the playoffs.

That said, I want him at UT.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to dcibrando:

LMAO! Well played KNS. You guys can't even report a story about a story in a timely fashion.

whatthe84 writes:

Why would he want to coach the eagles when he could coach the UT Vols? Smokey, the checkerboard endzone, rocky top, The Tennessee Waltz, historic Neyland Stadium, the volwalk...are you kidding me. It will be Gruden my friends in K town fo sho fact. The orange clad vol nation has called and only the best will answer. If not maybe Dykes, or a Div 2 rising star, or ...we would never consider Petrino, the bum. But I hope we don't have to play a Petrino team cause he will beat our checkerboard a&@ and walk away with all our cheese. The orange clad vol nation should not have to settle for anything but the best of the best!!! GBO

SummerfieldVol writes:

I am glad the Eagles got involved. The pros is where his expertize is. It would be hard for him as a college coach, I don't know how much college recuiting he has ever done. He doesn't have to worry about recuting as a pro coach. I think he would have cut and run the first big pro offer he got even if he was at Tennessee.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Ah Philly, "The City of Brotherly Go #%*! Yourself". What a pit of apathy and despair.

No matter what happens with Gruden, I know one thing is certain. He's going to make more money next year than he's making this year. His agent is the luckiest guy in the world.

tennisvol writes:

I didn't know the Eagles had made a coaching change. I watched them play the other day and ole Reid was still on the sideline.

MikeInTN writes:

Chris Mortensen reported on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville last week that he estimates Gruden makes between 10 - 20 million annually from ESPN, outside camps-broadcasting, and NFL Madden Football. If true, how can a university even think about matching that kind of money? I doubt he could keep his Madden endorsement as a college coach. Please don't tell me money doesn't make a difference!!

arkyvol writes:

sometimes it takes a slap up the side of the head to get people out of their daydreams. i considered gruden as likely as pat riley to the bball vols. perhaps we can get serious now.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so.

Time to move on from the Gruden madness.

you're a freaking moron! everybody knew that Gruden was a long shot - and still is. It's not too late for you to hitch a ride outta town with your boyfriend Derek!

StoneJackBaller writes:

If not Gruden, I really like Jim Mora Jr. Let's hope we can get him to leave UCLA. Forget about Bob Stoops and Jimbo Fisher.

OTPVol writes:

I worry about Mora. After seeing his antics when he coached the Falcons, he reminded me an awful lot of Kiffin..

gosouthsloppytop writes:

bless the vowell nation.. Chucky is not going to coach the vowells... but yall can still go home and put on that UGLY orange!!! he he ha ha... next year will be another losing season!!!

Orangeblood64 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

Amen Brother, Amen. I have been saying this for weeks. Mora could be a great SEC coach.

texasvolunteer1973 writes:

Bobby Petrino should be the hire.

Vol43 writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

That is a very good point. Who has more money to sling around, UT or ESPN?

Orangeblood64 writes:

in response to OTPVol:

have you watched him on the UCLA sidelines. hard nose yes, but the players respect it

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to gosouthsloppytop:

Not so fast, lolly pop!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to titletownz:

No comments from Green Bay Packer fans please

SIMSVOL writes:

Gruden was never coming to Tennessee. Let's hire a great coach and move back up the rankings. Dooley has the VOLS well positioned with some good talent and recruits, who are awaiting word from Hart. A great hire here goes a long way to bringing the VOLS back to the top.

1vavolfan writes:

Gruden would be a perfect fit for the Carolina Panthers. Vick is old and get s hurt every year, Cam is one of the best your QB's in the NFL. If he doesn't win in year one in Philly they will turn on him, go 8-8 next year in Carolina and you'll be treated like royalty.

MD_Vol writes:

I hope he gets the Philly (or any other NFL) job so we can move on. If he came to TN he make a big splash with some recruits but he has no staff and very little college experience. He would not stick around for very long.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to texasvolunteer1973:

Bobby Petrino should be the hire.

I respectfully disagree. I'm no prude and I want to win as much as anyone and I'll grant you that Petrino could probably make that happen as quickly as anyone - his track record proves it. His track record also proves him to be a quitter, a moral degenerate, and someone who would chase the next big offer held under his nose. Look, I realize we aren't hiring a Sunday School teacher, but rather a football coach. As such there are things that I might be willing to overlook. Petrino is a winner. Yes! However, everything else about the man is the antithesis of what I'd want my son to be. Furthermore, through the whole CFP firing, CLK hiring, CLK quitting, Pearl scandal, I had my fill of seeing the University I love making front page news for everything other than what took place on the field or on the court. Petrino would bring more of the same simply because Tennessee will have been "THE UNIVERSITY" who gave him his next big break less than one year after exiting disgracefully from his prior engagement, which by the way makes 3 straight gigs he has left high and dry under less than desirable circumstances. NO THANK YOU!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

BAM! Spot on!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Dooley is gone, dumbarse. Please stop with the "Doolaid drinker" garbage already. You're only making yourself look that much more the fool.

VolVox writes:

If it is true that this was dated November 8, then you should pay attention to this link to the National Football Post article of November 9 that says the Eagles owner isn't a big fan of Gruden and is unlikely to hire him:

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to titletownz:

I just read a report that UT has agreed in terms with Urban Meyer, and that Muschamp will most likely be the DC. Apparently, major legal problems on the way in Gay'unsville, and he wants out fast.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to OTPVol:

Agree 110%. I live in Atlanta and remember his tenure with the Falcons all too well. True, he has a lot of fire in his personality that would appeal to your average 18-21 year old player, but he is also a caustic pain-in-the-rear. He openly campaigned (on a radio show in Seattle) for another job while coaching the Falcons! He probably would have been allowed to return for what turned into the the disastrous Petrino (incomplete) season, but his big mouth and lack of respect for one of the most respected NFL owners got him fired.

Culturally, I don't think he would be a good fit. And I think there's a good chance that he'd bolt for the first NFL HC opportunity. Another thing to consider, if he bails on UCLA after one season, how is that any different than what Kiffin did to TN a few years ago?

I will give him this, I thought it was absolutely hilarious the way he went off on Doug Gottlieb (cause Gottlieb is an absolute knob) in an interview a few years ago, but I wouldn't want his volatile personality associated with UT. That said, check it out. Pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Pf24...

tovolny writes:

THERE is a difference between "THEIR" and "THERE." Is that "THAT" necessary?
Proof-Reading can be taxing at times. Especially using a cell with low batteries like I am doing now. I usually make posts while waiting for my still to heat up...and can't afford for the preheater to start puking. KNS must be doing the same.

Gruden hasn't and does not have a desire to leave Monday Night Football. The word on the street now is he hopped scotched around the direct questions pertaining to a coaching return. And, to his dismay, ESPN blocked the queen's bishop with a pawn guarded by a knight. My ESPN contact says it went down much like Dirty Harry saying "go ahead, make my day." That ESPN and the Mickey Mouse brass can be cold-hearted when it comes to cold cash.

CrankE writes:

in response to dcibrando:

Seeing as how KnoxNewzPravda (aka TrollzCentral) spent October and November angling for Dooley's firing, anticipating it after the Missouri loss to the point of having almost no coverage of the upcoming UT-Vandy game, then celebrating their 1.2 million web hits on the Sunday Dooley WAS fired (suddenly, it all becomes clear).

Perhaps KnoxNewzPravda was not going to search for a single piece of news that didn't agree with their pre-written narrative.

That being said, Go Eagles and take Chucky with you.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Gruden appears to be one who really likes lots of attention, more so than the average run of the mill sports talking heads.

I'm betting the golden boy enjoys having his name kicked around by college and pro teams, since he does nothing to quell all the rumors. So last week it was Arky and UT, now it's Philly, next week SD Chargers, week later USC (ha ha), then Cleveland, and of course the DA owner of the Cowboys will have to finally realize this latest wonder boy he invested in has achieved his level of the Peter Principle and have to replace that wannabe.

And ole Jon will call the game tonight like nothing is going on with him in likely half a dozen medias around the US.

Come on Jon Boy, put it to rest and pinch it off, or as some might say, shite or get off the pot.

born2ride writes:

Gruden is going to Tennessee.

No he is going to Arkansas.

No he is going to the Eagles.

Nope it is the Cowboys.

Wait... it is the Chargers.

It could be the Jets.

It could be the Browns.

Maybe the Titans.

Or most likely, Gruden stays at MNF.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

My number one right now is Mark Hudspeth, he has all the tools, but not a lot of experience. I look at how he coaches and what his philosophy is and he is the right man for the job. He will be cheap, and will implement an offense and defense based on the personnel that we have

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

Top 25 Tennessee Head Football Coaching Candidates (Likeliness to come to UT 1-10)
1. Chris Peterson, Boise St (1)
2. Gary Patterson, TCU (2)
3. Dan Mullen, Miss St (4)
4. Mark Hudspeth, ULL (9)
5. James Franklin, Vandy (5)
6. Bill Cowher (2)
7. Pat Fitzgerald, NW (7)
8. Mike MacIntyre, SJSU (8)
9. Gary Andersen, Utah St (7)
10. John Gruden (5)
11. Darrell Hazell, Kent St (9)
12. Charlie Strong, Louisville (6)
13. Dave Doeren, NIU (8)
14. Bo Pelini, Nebraska (3)
15. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2)
16. Mike Gundy, Ok ST (3)
17. Art Briles, Baylor (7)
18. Gus Malzahn, Ak St (5)
19. Matt Campbell, Toledo (8)
20. Doug Marrone, Syracuse (5)
21. Frank Solich, Ohio (6)
22. Pete Lembo, Ball St (8)
23. Bill Blakenship, Tulsa (7)
24. Butch Jones, Cincy (6)
25. Paul Rhodes, ISU (7)

pcorange writes:

It is what it is. If he goes to the NFL, we'll get somebody else. It isn't the end of the world. We all know he is a long shot. Even if we do get him, it will be a risk. He is going to require some serious loot to lure him here when you figure in the money he wants for a staff. I don't care who it is as long as they are a builder and can start making progress back toward decency. This Kentucky-esque football is for the birds.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

As a UT fan, I'd certainly like to see him, for better or worse, bring closure to the rumors. However, playing devil's advocate, it isn't necessarily in his best interests to do so. Branding is everything in sales. So when you are selling yourself, the more your name is mentioned in a positive light, especially in connection with high profile positions and when by all appearances you aren't the one driving the dialogue, it only serves to improve your brand, thus the dollars you can demand. As such, I wouldn't anticipate him going out of his way to quickly quell any rumors. I'm not suggesting that's either good or bad...it just is.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to titletownz:

Binky must have fallen out of this one's mouth. Quick, get it back in there before things get out of control.

pcorange writes:

in response to born2ride:

Gruden is going to Tennessee.

No he is going to Arkansas.

No he is going to the Eagles.

Nope it is the Cowboys.

Wait... it is the Chargers.

It could be the Jets.

It could be the Browns.

Maybe the Titans.

Or most likely, Gruden stays at MNF.

Great post, and most likely true.

VolinAustin writes:

My first choice is Art Briles. The man can flat out coach. He is a great recruiter, great person, and has a ton of texas connections!!!

Theo writes:

in response to SummerfieldVol:

I'm kind of with you. Although his name may help with recruiting, he has not coached at the college level. The two jobs seem different enough to me that he may not be the best option for TN. My preference would really be a proven college hc who is committed to the college game. Good luck to Gruden but I don't see him at UT.

Govols1995 writes:

We were dumb for firing fulmer anyway! I can gurantee we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now. Lets see who would you rather have a 15-21 head coach or a 152-52 coach. Thats exactly what we did when we fired him. We hired two coaches that have done nothing but destroy the program. You also cant use the excuse that his recruiting was down. The last four years he was there he recruited Eric Berry, Robert Meachem, Robert Ayers, and Arin Foster. Last I checked they are tearing it up in the NFL. Good going VOL NATION!!!!!!!!!!

wigmeister writes:

in response to RockyToptoNeyland:

1. Chris Peterson, Boise St (1)
2. Gary Patterson, TCU (2)
3. Dan Mullen, Miss St (4)
4. Mark Hudspeth, ULL (9)
5. James Franklin, Vandy (5)
6. Bill Cowher (2)
7. Pat Fitzgerald, NW (7)
8. Mike MacIntyre, SJSU (8)
9. Gary Andersen, Utah St (7)
10. John Gruden (5)
11. Darrell Hazell, Kent St (9)
12. Charlie Strong, Louisville (6)
13. Dave Doeren, NIU (8)
14. Bo Pelini, Nebraska (3)
15. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2)
16. Mike Gundy, Ok ST (3)
17. Art Briles, Baylor (7)
18. Gus Malzahn, Ak St (5)
19. Matt Campbell, Toledo (8)
20. Doug Marrone, Syracuse (5)
21. Frank Solich, Ohio (6)
22. Pete Lembo, Ball St (8)
23. Bill Blakenship, Tulsa (7)
24. Butch Jones, Cincy (6)
25. Paul Rhodes, ISU (7)

You forgot John Madden! On a more serious note, forget Cowher and Gruden. If they go anywhere, it will be to a NFL team.Gus Malzahn would be a good choice. He was the one that made Auburn's program run(Cam Newton didn't hurt). Did you see his team play this year? They were great, and a lot of fun to watch. His players were flat out fast!

BigOrangeRock writes:

In the end it will be Fulmer. It is the only logical solution if a big name can not be found.

The rock has spoken.

lafollette37766 writes:

There was a poster on here last week who knew for a fact that Gruden was a done deal for UT. Wonder where they are at?

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

The rock has spoken.

"The rock has spoken?" Fraggle Rock perhaps...then again, even Gobo would likely offer better suggestions than that.

GburgOrange writes:

It's Dan Mullin. He wins in the SEC even @MSU.