Stephen Hargis: Jon Gruden's name only one creating unified buzz for UT

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- Like Michael Keaton's classic 1980s movie character "Beetlejuice," there is one name on the list of University of Tennessee football coaching candidates that very few journalists want to say aloud.

The idea of simply saying Jon Gruden's name, and the fear of looking foolish if he isn't the choice, prevents many in the mainstream media from even mentioning him.

But when you consider the other names being mentioned as likely candidates -- Miami's Al Golden, Louisville's Charlie Strong, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, etc. -- none create the immediate buzz among boosters, general fans, current players or recruits that Gruden does.

Not only can Gruden's name unite and excite the entire fan base, but it can change the Volunteers' recruiting culture. Tennessee has slipped behind many SEC opponents to the point that it now is seen as a second-tier program by the top high school recruits across the Volunteer State and in the nation.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

"Let me tell ya bout a story of a man named Jon"

"Jon Gruden, weeelll, Jon Gruden, my Hart's on fire, for Jon Gruden.. Boompappa Boompappa Boompapp Mow Mow, Heigh Old Silver, Away...

Well the next thing you know old Jon's a Millionare
the Kin Folks said "Jon Get away from there"
Say Neyland Stadium is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up the LEAR and they flew to Tennessee.. Hills that is, Country Music Stars..

Ya'll come back now, Here?

rbwtn writes:

Well said Stephen that's why I say SHUT-UP to all the speculators and let our Athletic director do his job. Stay out of the Fray.

Debt writes:

Yup, exactly what UT needs, a head coach with a 54% win ratio. How awesome is that! I guess its a bowl game every year though..

Vol86 writes:

in response to Debt:

Just ignorant. The NFL is not the same. Do you know that all the teams have really good players and you are not starting the season with four certain wins. Look at every contender in ncaaf they start the season knowing they have only 3 or 4 tough games. Come on all ready.

Dalton writes:

in response to Debt:

Yeah Saban's done...that NFL fail broke his spirit...especially since he wasn't a +.500 coach at the next level...there's a thing about declarative statements...we wouldn't have to play any pesky games if we just went by them.

arkyvol writes:

remember what the chinese say about being careful what you wish for.

GreeneVol writes:

The recruit said our last head coach came across as 'stuck up, like arrogant'...and that Vanderbilt is on list of finalists for some but UT nowhere close on these kids...VERY SOBERING. Somebody please earn us back our Big Orange football pride!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Well now we hear it straight from the mouths of babes, UT is not nor ever was on most of these players' lists.

It was already pretty obvious when other schools came in and cherry picked the state's few high rated recruits. And we only pulled a handul of 4*s and mostly 3 or less level talent recently.

We need a big name coach, a proven winner to get these kids' attention. These kids were soiling their diapers or riding their big wheels when we won our last NC. UT history and tradition means nothing to them.

They only care about what have you done lately? No surprise the ua's, lsu's, uf's, usc's, oh st's, ... get the best every year.

After 3 losing years in a row and 4 of the last 5, these kids look at us as what we have become, a losing, bottom of the barrel program.

It will take a big name to come in here and sell "you can be the start of the turn around to bring UT to national prominance."

A no name can't get the great players to even consider UT, and without the players, we'll continue to be a step or 2 slower that the elite SEC teams, continue not to have the game breaking RB, no quality depth (so 2d half arse kickings will continue) and wallow around for more years saying woulda, coulda, and shoulda after games with the big boys.

AD Fart, don't pull our finger, rather - pull the trigger on a good one.

pcshowtime writes:

I know he is gone and I hate to beat a dead horse but Between what this article says and what the one below says about dooley attitude.

It comes as shock to some of our fan base. Just because someone talks like Andy Griffith does not make him a nice guy. But more important it does not make him a competent head coach.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Whoever comes to Knoxville will have to overcome this

tennesseeduke writes:

in response to Debt:

I guess you think Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban who failed miserably in the NFL and are nothing but winning in college is not a good comparison for Gruden?

What a stupid post.

Tennesseeduke

Debt writes:

in response to tennesseeduke:

What a stupid post.

Tennesseeduke

Spurrier/Saban college coaches who couldnt make it in the NFL, but can in college. Jon Gruden barely made it in the NFL and we think he can coach college?

What a stupid reply.

kingofthevols writes:

UT football is on a very short leash with the NCAA as far as additional infractions are concerned as evidenced by the two-year extension of the probationary period. Dave Hart admitted as much in his press conference last week.

So while the prospect of Jon Gruden sounds exciting, the fact that he has not coached a college game and has no proven record of compliance should be a real concern for Hart when making the hire.

voodoo101 writes:

"Jon Gruden's name only one creating unified buzz for UT"

If you discount the dissenters, that's probably true.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to kingofthevols:

I thought the same thing. It sure seems as though the NCAA hammered TN for minor infractions.

ALAllVOL writes:

This article pretty much sums it up.... It's Gruden or bust. We have to get a big name just to be relevant to these kids. And for those who say Gruden is unproven, STFU! He won a super bowl, more succsesfull than Saban in the NFL. Besides w the 4 and 5 stars he would bring here it would be impossible not to win. This is our chance to climb out of this hole. Make it happen, Go Vols!

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

Well, we knew it would only be a matter of time before the stories came flooding out about the recruiting woes. I agree that these guys were babes when Gruden was coaching in the NFL. Now they all feel as if the next coach isn't him then they don't want to play for Tennessee because our last coaching staff didn't make them feel special. Now as one of our noble Vol fans said, I know i'm about to get smacked in the head for this comment, but how much of this is our fault as well. We wanted to win so bad that maybe trying to go out and find those players else where made this staff over look home grown talent. Win at all cost can make a person put blinders on to what is right there staring them in the face. I for one didn't grow up a Tennessee fan even though I was born and raised there, they had to grow on me, but there's no way I could see myself playing for a school other than the University of Tennessee if I could go back and do it again. These kid's now-a-days want the bragging rights of where they went to college and the championships. Never has it been more important that we hire the right man to bring us back to glory, because if not this crazy merry go round of coaches will continue. Oh and other thing I don't appreciate Mr. Hargis even mentioning my school as a second tier college, them's fighting words my friend watch your mouth young man. GBO

SCVFL writes:

SO Stephen,
Are you saying that without Gruden, that the VOLS are doomed to mediocrity for all times? I think he would be a good hire, but it does not seem possible at this point.
Not every recruit is going to be a VOL regardless of who the next coach is. Saban does not get EVERYONE he goes after. It isn't like they just line up and get their number assignment.
Hart and the moneybags need to spend the money to get someone that can motivate and cultivate young talent. When the W's start coming so will the recruits. They want to be seen in full stadiums, on tv, winning every week.

GO BIG RNG

whatthe84 writes:

in response to VolsFanInAfghanistan:

You may not appreciate it but it is true and I guess the old saying the truth hurts is correct. Over the last several years I have read on here that we are building a foundation for the future with good recruiting and I was confused because I looked at the signees and I reallly did not see SEC talent being brought on board. The team is really underwelming to say the least. We have no backs, we have slow DB's who can't cover WR's and we have a QB who is a total head case, don't tell me about his physical talent it is useless without the proper head on top of the neck. You are like so many other orange clad vols who live in a make believe world where UT is still feared and carries a reputation that will bring in the best coaches and players just because they are UT. I really don't think that has ever been the case, but Philip Fulmer in the mid to late 90's had a collection of talent that could compete with anybody in the country week in and week out. Since about 2000 the talent began to become weak and watered down. The QB's were second rate even though they were hightly rated they never lived up to the hype, Crompton, and Clausen, Ainge come to mind. It will take someone with a bigtime profile to bring them back quickly or someone with as of now unknown name to come in and begin a process that will take 3/5 years. Don't get mad at the messenger instead try to live in reality and not in some world where everyone looks through orange colored glasses and hears rocky top in their minds all the time.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Minor infractions occur by accident. Major infractions are by intent and involve money or academic fraud. What Garza did was major. That the UTAD Compliance department didn't know leans toward lack of institutional control. Thus the extra two years probation.

BTW, all probation is is extra paperwork showing compliances. Not a big deal if you are an above board program. That won't keep a good HC away.

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

in response to whatthe84:

Well, that only took 16 minutes for a reply. I've watched Tennessee and I know that the last several years haven't been nice to us. I saw that same talent that you're talking about week in and week out when i'm not over here. I truly don't live in a make believe world my friend, trust me on that one. We all know that football comes in cycles for sure and past great teams else where have went thru theres as well, now it's Tennessee's turn. My point wasn't to live in the past. I was only pointing out I thought with my comment was that we do need a big name in order to get our own home town guys to believe in us again and not just look past us. I don't think bringing in 4 and 5 star players will fix anything just because their good in high school doesn't mean they'll always cut it in college. Of course a big name will help, but like you said it will take some time. I'm not wanting to be mad at the so called messenger my friend, but believing in your school and having pride in it is worth having in my opinion. And as for your last statement about trying to live in a reality and not in a world where everyone looks thru blah, blah, blah, you come over here where I am and see what I see day in and day out. Believe me you'll love to wear those orange colored glasses and hear good ole rocky top everyday.

orange_eVOLution writes:

I hope the announcement comes by Friday this week.

theghostoftriumph writes:

As much as I know Vol Nation would want him, I just can't see Gruden going into college
coaching. He is enjoying his rock star status
on MNF.
I think if he goes back into coaching it will be in the NFL when someone like Jerry Jones
come calling with a sackfull of money.
Let R Barn have Petrino, they both seem to have the same character virtues.

jbc writes:

The 15 Most Shockingly Overpaid People in Sports
8. Jon Gruden (ESPN)

"Former NFL head coach Jon Gruden does do his whole sideshow with players every so often, but for the most part, he is getting paid $4.3 million a year to sit in a booth on Monday nights for just 17 weeks."

DukeDeLuca2 writes:

No group wants Jon Gruden to be UT's next coach more than Florida Gator fans.

Exhibit A: Gruden's lifetime winning percentage is 54% as a head coach.

Exhibit B: In Gruden's last 3 seasons at Tampa Bay, his teams went 4-12, 9-7 and 9-7.

Exhibit C: Buccaneers' fans danced in the street when Tampa Bay finally fired him. You can look it up.

Will Vol fans get excited about Gruden? Of course. Heck, Vol fans got excited about Lane Kiffin. They'll get excited about anything that has an orange bow wrapped around it.

But about midway through the 2014 season, they'll be calling Sportstalk and asking how much Gruden's buyout would cost us.

It will cost us a lot more than Derek Dooley.

Here are the cold, hard facts of life. There are only a dozen or so elite head coaches who can win at the SEC level on a consistent basis.

Gruden isn't one of them.

The elite coaches all have jobs making obscene amounts of money. They don't need another Hummer in the garage.

It may take until the year 2020 or later, but sooner or later everyone needs to wise up and understand that we have to hire a coach and give him five years to build the program. No matter how many of you think four years is "unacceptable," it's highly unlikely we'll get 10 wins until four years have passed. I'd give the new guy him five years just to be sure.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither are great football programs.

whatthe84 writes:

in response to VolsFanInAfghanistan:

My comment was in reply to your post...but it was just as much to many others I have read on hear over the past. I appreciate your comments about your current duty and thank you for all you do! If having that mindset helps you then by all means put on the glasses! Thanks again!!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca2:

No group wants Jon Gruden to be UT's next coach more than Florida Gator fans.

Exhibit A: Gruden's lifetime winning percentage is 54% as a head coach.

It will cost us a lot more than Derek Dooley.

Gruden isn't one of them.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither are great football programs.

Whomever the new HC is needs to have more than 5 wins in year 3. By year 2 progress must be made, and by year 3 the new coach should be winning more than he's losing and progression to the next level as in mid tier SEC, (not talking 10 wins) has to be obvious in most areas vs the regression we have seen lately.

Who cares about Rome?

Most folk in Paris, TN, Memphis, TN, Bristol, TN, Manchester, TN, Athens, TN and all over our great state are ready to git er done and return this former great team to it's rightful place among the elite teams!

AD Fart - are you there? Get it right or Smokey will get after you like he did that uk kicker Saturday.

GO SMOKEY!

ournextguest writes:

Strong and Smart are not candidates. They are wannabes.

bigvol980 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Read this article. A real eye-opener.

Rock85 writes:

If Tennessee is serious about winning and want a unified Fan Base. Jon Gruden is our Head Coach. If Hart wants to bring his buddy JimBo Fisher is HIS head coach...If they drop to a third name Fulmer will be YOUR NEW AD...

Rock85 writes:

in response to ALAllVOL:

GRUDEN or BUST!!!! No exceptions Not this time.

jone8191#247590 writes:

This article digs up the dirty little secret that nobody wanted to talk about and that is that Dooley was not a very likeable person/coach and the kids/recruits picked right up on it. He had to have been one of the worst hires of all time. Can we fire Hammy again???

LouisianaVol4Life writes:

in response to arkyvol:

remember what the chinese say about being careful what you wish for.

oh i wish i wish i wishhhhhhh

VolsVolsVols writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

So what documentation do you have to back up your statement? I'm not on the Gruden train, but you have no more information that he won't be the next coach as individuals who believe he will.

born2ride writes:

It is a done deal. Hart got his guy. This will be the biggest hire in UT football history.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to voodoo101:

"Jon Gruden's name only one creating unified buzz for UT"

If you discount the dissenters, that's probably true.

Please, expound on why Dooley deserves another five years in the form of some inane treatise with analogies to Corporate America some more.

I could use a good laugh after reading how truly horrific Dooley was at his job.

The_Ghost_of_Neyland writes:

As much as I think Gruden would have the moxie to get loads of talent to UT and become a very successful coach, there is no way the guy is going to leave his plush gig and go babysit 18-22 year old guys around the clock.

If he is already pulling in over $4M per year working part-time for ESPN, what type of a salary does that equate to for him to re-enter coaching? 6-8M per year? Do the math, don't think it is in the cards.

If Gruden really does have the "coaching itch" again, doesn't it make sense for him to want to deal with professionals and make top NFL coaching money?

Think about it, if he were to take the UT job and realized a few years into it that he can go back to his old life (commentator) and make comparable money with fewer headaches, where does that leave us?

I think we need an up-and-comer with a better W-L record than Dooley entered with. Sure, I agree head coaching experience should be of greatest importance along with understanding (and recruiting) SEC territory, but I would like someone that is really dynamic with one side of the ball (be it offense or defense) or somebody that has taken a downtrodden program to the next level.

Gruden would be a sexy hire, but it just doesn't add up and I think we should all be okay with that...

TNPilgrim writes:

It's hard to have a lot of confidence in the UT administration and their ability to make a sensible hire. Granted, Hart comes from a successful program, but he's never personally directed a hiring process for a big time football coach. In spite of what he said at the Dooley firing presser, he's only hired one coach at E. Carolina and promoted another. Let's hope he learned something at FL State and AL. Unlike the yokels at UT, these guys have developed top level football programs while TN has floundered.

Rock85 writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

How sad is someone, who won't dare to dream... . You can still get on the banwagon when he is Hired. We will wait on you. Dooley was my Nightmare.

tennesseeduke writes:

in response to Debt:

What a stupid reply.

Obviously you don't understand your stupid initial post. Let me put in terms for you to understand! Spurrier and Saban couldn't win in the NFL. You gripe over Gruden's 54% winning and it's only in the NFL plus a Super Bowl. Please explain why you make a snide remark about Gruden and his 54% winning percentage?

Stupid!

Tennesseeduke

DavidB writes:

Agree that article says Gruden or bust. The rumors I have heard say press conference set for Thursday at 2pm. I can only hope it's to announce we made a hire.

If its Gruden I hope he surrounds himself with experienced recruiters. I don't doubt grudens name will bring in big time recruits, but he will need to be taught how to go into a recruits living room in this day and age.

MarbleVol48 writes:

If approached about the job, does anyone think that Gruden may call his mentor Johnny Majors for advice?

DukeDeLuca2 writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

Who cares about Rome?

GO SMOKEY!

You applauded when Phil Fulmer and his national championship organization was fired 8 games after they won the SEC East Championship and missed the SEC Championship Game victory by one play, didn't you?

How's that working out for you?

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca2:

No group wants Jon Gruden to be UT's next coach more than Florida Gator fans.

Exhibit A: Gruden's lifetime winning percentage is 54% as a head coach.

It will cost us a lot more than Derek Dooley.

Gruden isn't one of them.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither are great football programs.

It won't take 5 years to make us respectable. That is just excuse talk. Now, if we hire a trainee, then yes, it will take that long. But, a good coach would have won 8 games with the 2012 roster and 2012 schedule.

It is pure propaganda to say it will take 5 years to win. Now, if you want to talk about championships, sure. But we didn't fire Dooley because he didn't win the SEC. He was embarrassingly bad.

Gruden is the top target right now and not the longshot the Knox guys are reporting. With him, you would see immediate improvement. See what Mora did with an underachieving UCLA team...Year 1.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

Amy, you might want to open your mind a bit. Gruden is being pursued hot and heavy. I don't know why there is such a concerted effort from the local media to shut the rumors down, but the situation is boiling right this very moment. Right now, he is the most likely guy.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to born2ride:

We are about to have the coach everyone else wishes they had.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

Amen, Amy!!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to Rock85:

Sorry, but a dream is all it is. Hell, lets go after Les Miles since he won a NC at LSU.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Whats the source for your information.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

We are about to have the coach everyone else wishes they had.

Source, please.