Lady Vols will need more senior moments

Lady Vols will need more senior moments

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2012 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Kamiko Williams steals the ball from MTSU's Shanice Cason at Thompson-Boling Arena on Wednesday, November 28, 2012. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Turns out Tennessee didn't have to wait long for a worthy encore by Kamiko Williams.

After producing a game's worth of highlights in just 18 seconds last Sunday against Alcorn State, the senior guard delivered again Wednesday versus Middle Tennessee State. This time, her contributions didn't amount to window dressing on a rout. Instead, her nine points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals were crucial to an 88-81 women's basketball overtime win.

"You're seeing the results of her having great practices and being focused and being into practice," UT coach Holly Warlick said. "The result is she's playing really well in the games. She's got a lot of confidence right now, and we're doing our best to keep that confidence in her."

Considering its schedule, UT could use more solid play from Williams. No. 22 North Carolina (7-0) visits on Sunday.

The current state of Tennessee's backcourt adds more urgency to the situation.

Freshman guard Andraya Carter reinjured her right shoulder Wednesday and was helped off the court with 7:35 left.

A follow-up X-ray was negative. Carter underwent treatment on Thursday and her status is listed as day to day.

The Lady Vols did not practice on Thursday.

Reserve guard Jasmine Phillips, who missed the season's first two games with a strained left quad, missed Wednesday's game for what Warlick termed "a violation of team rules." Warlick wouldn't say whether Phillips will be back on Sunday.

Against MTSU, Williams played 18 minutes. Her 5-foot-11 size and accompanying strength wore on Shanice Cason, the Blue Raiders' 5-6 point guard. Williams stole the ball from Cason and hit a 10-foot bank shot to give Tennessee its first lead, 64-63 with 4:26 left.

Williams nearly clinched the victory in regulation with a pressure 3-pointer with 55 seconds left.

In overtime, with the Lady Vols clinging to a two-point lead, Williams again stole the ball from Cason and fed it to Meighan Simmons for a layup. Williams added another basket and punctuated her play by drawing Cason's fifth foul on a charge with 36 seconds left.

"She's a senior," MTSU coach Rick Insell said, "and that's what seniors are supposed to do."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolInIndy writes:

Keep having those great Sr. moments Kamiko. We love you!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

I like Holly's strategy for not starting Kamiko. She is like a secret weapon on the bench studying players and finding weaknesses. Once she gets in she quickly exploits those weaknesses and come up with easy steals and create easy shots for herself or teammates. She has a certain calmness about her that effects the game . She is not flying loose cannon up the court . At one time last year Simmons was coming off the bench just to get a feel of the game and to I guess calm herself down a little. Should be a great game against UNC. Still very early in the season but I'm putting my prediction out there. I can realistically see us losing only 3-4 games this season before tourney time

madrigal writes:

Kamiko can do it! When she gets out there, she makes things happen. Taber Spani......not so sure.

I am a bit surprised that Kamiko is a senior. I guess because she has been in and out of the lineup so much of her time here, I always picture her as an underclassman. I'm glad she and the coaching staff seem to be on the same page at last. As another poster said, she is a secret weapon off the bench. As long as she plays like she has lately in that role and stays happy with it, it can only mean good things for the team going forward.

UTByrd writes:

I normally don't try to criticize but the headline to this story is tasteless. Dan, think about it. Do you know what "having a senior moment" means? Dementia?

Volinflan writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Now Max, I aint agonna argey with you but which 3-4 losses might you think they be. Chattanooga is 1. Looking at the schedule, whoo, there are some scary games beginning this Sunday. Out of the next eight games there's only one that I would put much money on (if I were a betting person that is).

Now saying that, I'm a very positive Lady Vols fan, but with all the youth, I think we're gonna get drummed on a few times. However, by the end of the season (with, in IMHO, more that 4 losses) they will be a team to be reckoned with. There is a lot of talent and they are putting on a show for us with their althletic abilities. And we thank them for that. Go Lady Vols

My Line

North Carolina - since it's at home I'll bet even

Texas - since it's at Texas I need 5 points to bet

Baylor - we have no answer for their inside game - gimmie 25 points and Tennessee and I still won't bet much

Stanford - I'd need 30 points to bet on the Lady Vols. I hope they surprise me.

Davidson - I'll give you Davidson and 10

Rutgers - a push

The SEC - these young Lady Vols players have been taken out to the wood shed a couple of times, have surprised a couple of teams and have learned a whole lot about winning. Watch out SEC- look for a 14 - 1 Lady Vols record....at least that is my dreams for a good season.