Miami's Al Golden forceful in his commitment to Hurricanes

Al Golden

Photo by Wilfredo Lee, AP2012

Al Golden

Miami coach Al Golden is not talking like a man who plans to interview for other jobs in the coming days. And his boss seems convinced that Golden will be with the Hurricanes for a long time.

In fact, Golden's public statements this week have been so forceful that they might be difficult to explain if he did accept another position.

"(My wife) would cry if I said we were moving out of town," Golden told the Sun Sentinel.

Two coaches from Florida — Golden and Florida State's Jimbo Fisher — have occupied much of the speculation during the first 11 days of Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart's quiet coaching search.

Hart has a connection to Fisher from his days as Florida State's athletic director, which has fueled much of the speculation linking him to the job.

Golden's name has been mentioned in connection with UT and other jobs because he's a well-respected young coach at a university beleaguered by NCAA problems that occurred before his arrival.

But Golden waxes poetic about his love for Miami: "The people, the diversity, the climate."

Miami interim athletic director Blake James told the Sun Sentinel no school has requested permission to speak with Golden and he doesn't expect him to go anywhere.

"I'm confident he'll be with us next year," James said.

How much enthusiasm does Golden have for Miami athletics? After the Hurricanes upset Maryland in men's basketball, Golden's congratulatory phone call for coach Jim Larranaga interrupted the postgame news conference.What about Fisher? In addition to his relationship with Hart, some in Tallahassee say he has a handful of grievances with his department, ranging from flights for recruiting trips to other minor issues.

While some are convinced that Fisher is using potential interviews with Tennessee or Auburn as a ploy for a pay bump at FSU, others believe that he might be willing to leave a place he feels underappreciated after a "disappointing" two-loss season in 2012 and the prospect of some difficult rebuilding in 2013 looming.

Fisher has consistently denied interest in any other jobs, although perhaps not as strongly as Golden.

"I have a great job here. I'm very happy here," he told SiriusXM College Sports Nation on Thursday. "I would like to stay here. I'm not fielding offers, I'm not trying to get involved with offers."Louisville's Charlie Strong coached the Cardinals in their final regular season game Thursday at Rutgers. Today, he will officially be open for suitors and could be one of the offseason's hottest coaching candidates.

AL.com reported this week that Strong had already interviewed with Auburn. The story prompted an angry response from Strong, who said he was only focused on the final game and not doing interviews.

Strong has spent three years at Louisville and was previously a defensive coordinator at Florida and South Carolina.An unconfirmed Internet report late Thursday said Purdue had offered its head coaching job to Cincinnati coach Butch Jones. Subsequent reports said that was premature.

But Purdue and perhaps Auburn could be targeting Jones, who followed current Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly at Cincinnati. He fits the mold of the type of coach Hart would like to talk to.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

asleep#212036 writes:

Golden would have no reason to be so forceful at this point as his season is over. Of course, the looming prospect at Miami is that several seasons to come could be over too so.... Fisher still intriguing but just not feeling it. I don't think he would leave FSU for UT, even if we offered him crazy money. Jones at Cincinnati has won as well but he is winning with Kelly's players at this point. Can he recruit in the south? The SEC is a big step up from the Big East.... Butch Davis' name keeps popping up. Too bad it didn't pop up enough 3 years ago, or maybe it did and Hamilton couldn't close the deal. Strong is apparently pretty honked off that someone was reporting a conversation with Auburn. If he's in play, which I am not sure he is, maybe that will turn him our way if that's the direction Hart wants to go. I still think Al Golden is the guy but his comments sure don't inspire any confidence in my prediction.....Go Vols!!!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Good. Now let's get Petrino on campus so he can get his staff and start recruiting.

pcorange writes:

The worst thing about all this is that the press surrounding the Tennessee coaching search has a lot of names on their lists that may not even be on Dave Hart's list. When Hart does finally come to his decision and hire someone, it is going to look like we've been spurned by every coach in the country and had to settle for who we get. Obviously, Gruden is not going to be our man. Who knows at this point who is even really in the running. We read a lot of speculation and wishful thinking, but nobody really knows who UT is even interested in except Hart and a few of his closest confidantes. He has done an exceptional job keeping this from playing out in the press like Hamilton did.

Orangeblood64 writes:

Am I the only one that's starting to feel like were going to end up with some "jackwagon". that as soon as they say the name we all are going to scratch our heads and say "who"? and start looking at his stats and wonder where he come from. It happened last time.

Orangeblood64 writes:

Hire Jim Mora jr. proven college, NFL connections and no BS on his team. show him the love $$$$$

UT4prez writes:

in response to Orangeblood64:

He has done a great job this year. That press conference after they lost to Stanford is unreal. If you haven't seen it then just watch the start of the game tomorrow. They'll play it. Kudos to Mora for keeping his cool. Not many would have the way that reporter was behaving.

It won't be him though.

FWBVol writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Fisher has been my first choice all along, and that includes Gruden. I would have loved having all the intangibles that Gruden would bring to Tennessee as far as the national boost, but I think Fisher is a much better fit in the college game.

I have FSU graduates in my family and they don't think there is any way that Fisher leaves Florida State, but I see it being a very realistic possibility.

I was talking to a high school football coach in Okaloosa County tonight and he said the facilities at FSU can't compare to the football facilities at Tennessee...and that was before the new complex.

Facilities aside, other than the in-state recruiting Fisher can take advantage of at Florida State, Tennessee has more to offer. For starters, our fan base is much more passionate than FSU's...and that does make a difference to most coaches.

If Fisher wins big at UT, in the SEC, he has a much better chance of getting to the National Championship game than he does winning at Florida State and the ACC.

In the minds of many, Florida State will always be the number two school behind Florida in the state. UT will always be the top draw in Tennessee and that should be a plus in our favor.

Finally, no matter how successful Fisher is at FSU, he'll always be the guy that is following the legend, Bobby Bowden. There's the old saying, "It's always easier to follow the guy that followed the legend than to follow the legend."

rb4346 writes:

in response to Orangeblood64:

Beginning to look more like that, I just hope that Hart is on the ball so we don't wind up with another LA Tech or Georgia State coach. I would rather see Petrino on the sideline than have that happen again.

VolsVolsVols writes:

in response to Orangeblood64:

Why? Because Hart isn't updating you on each step of the process?

VolsVolsVols writes:

in response to rb4346:

The only place it would "look like that" is in your own mind as UTAD has not released any information and the only "news" is rumors, gossip, and speculation.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to pcorange:

Hart's job is to hire a coach that gets us back to a national championship. Whether or not he conducts a confidential search doing that is just completely irrelevant.

Also, if you're using Mike Hamilton as your comparison for job excellence, you might want to rethink that.

If Hart hires Gruden (which it seems like that might happen) then I'll give Hart his due. If he hires someone like Larry Fedora or Jimbo Fisher, then I will reserve judgement. If he hires Al Golden or Dan Mullen, then I'll be done with the program.

That's my decision making process on this. As for keeping things secretive...who cares? It doesn't contribute to getting us into a BCS championship game.

powert#205805 writes:

I am certainly glad Golden is not coming here. His record resembles Dooley's. It would be another moronic move. No more losing record coaches. We need to look at a guy's record and have it scream "I ain't never been nothing but a winner."

Hart is a football guy and I have confidence he will make a good hire.

VolVox writes:

I keep up with UC and do not want UT to hire Butch Jones. Jones has done a good job at UC, but UT is a different breed of cat. Jones did not do a good job of handling certain situations in Cincinnati, and I don't know if you can take his word at face value. Even more, I don't think he has the charisma needed for UT.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

I'm sure Hart is sad that you might be "done with the program" if he doesn't please you. Apparently you aren't a true Tennessee fan. Grow up.

us43137415#376444 writes:

Al, could care less about your crying wife.

Stay where you are. We do not need you.

Given Miami's off-the-field problems, you need to stay right where you are.

OwensboroVol writes:

Derek Dooley is looking better all the time. I don't know why Tennessee is not an attractive job to other coaches. We're going to be lucky to get someone who coached minor peewee's last year!

GloryDays writes:

I think Hart's choice has been FSU's Fisher. It is a lateral move to UT, not sure why he would want to come here. Gruden was a dream, I really don't think its a good deal for either party. Petrino has a very questionable character issue. Tressel has show cause hanging over his head. I am not sure Charlie Strong has a strong enough resume. That leaves Golden. The guy is a good young coach, who is a good recruiter, who you could build a program around. I think he is the best choice.
If Hart gets none of the above then we are where we were 3 years ago when Hamilton grabbed at straws and got Dooley, and we all know how that turned out.

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

You know...Golden would have been a fine choice last year after the UK game when Dooley should have been fired.

But now with this fan base fractured and teetering on the brink of madness...you need a home run hire and Golden is not that.

This whole cluster f### of a coaching search wreaks of last time and Mike Hamilton...