Tennessee falls to Georgetown, 37-36

Georgetown forward Mikael Hopkins (3) battles for the ball against Tennessee forward Kenny Hall (20) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game, Friday, Nov. 30, 2012, in Washington. Georgetown won 37-36. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Photo by Nick Wass/Associated Press

Tennessee guard Trae Golden (11) goes to the basket against Georgetown forward Mikael Hopkins (3) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Friday, Nov. 30, 2012, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

WASHINGTON D.C. – It was either a gritty defensive battle or a rotten offensive clash.

Either way, an ugly game led to an ugly 37-36 Tennessee loss against No. 20 Georgetown at the Verizon Center in the SEC/Big East Challenge on Friday night.

Neither team scored in the final 4 minutes, 10 seconds.

No player finished in double figures.

Neither team shot better than 37 percent.

Somehow UT managed to be worse. The Vols finished 15-for-46 from the field, 3-for-11 from the foul line, committed 13 turnovers and fell to 4-2 on the young season.

After committing three turnovers and shooting an airball on four possessions with an opportunity to take a lead, the Vols had one last chance.

A Georgetown (5-1) turnover with 22.6 seconds led to a Tennessee timeout with 20.9 to go.

More of the same. UT’s Skylar McBee airballed a 3-pointer with just over three seconds remaining that deflected off a Hoya and out of bounds.

A desperation heave by Jordan McRae out of the in-bounds clanged off the rim and the misery ended.

After watching Georgetown open the second half with an 8-2 run to take a 27-20 lead, the Vols found a response. A 3-pointer by McBee with 8:14 left capped a 9-0 UT run and flipped the scoreboard.

Tennessee’s 32-31 lead sent both teams bobbing back and forth, trading the lead for the remainder of the game. No team led by more than one point after McBee’s trey.

Both teams will burn the game film from the first half. They combined to shoot 13-for-48 from the field. The Vols made one more shot than the Hoyas, though, and stole an unlikely 18-16 lead at the break.

It took a banked-in floater from UT’s Trae Golden at the first-half horn to give the Vols their first lead of the game since the 16:50 mark.

Georgetown finished 16-44 from the field and made just one 3-pointer.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VictorKruger writes:

Great defense and rebounding - CCM's 2 big things.

3-11 free-throw shooting and late turnovers cost UT the game. I expected the horrible 3-point shooting.

Nonetheless, things are still looking good for a 20+ win season. Beat Virginia!

dvols writes:

Maymon coming back will help

tough loss..

Smokey91 writes:

UT can build a brand new arena with all those bricks.

1vavolfan writes:

Last 5 possessions 3 turnovers and 3 missed shots. Got to question those last 2 shots, Stokes has got to touch the ball there. I can't believe that is the best play Martin has to call to win the game. Anybody else notice Kenny Hall under the basket wide open on that last play?

TrouserCough writes:

Love Cuonzo but looked like a Dooley coached team. Unwatchable. Can't shoot from the field or free throws. Pathetic play. Passing turnovers looked so bush league.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

That was one of the most competitive halves of BB I've ever seen..You mean that was the final score?? Never mind.

wazzya69vol writes:

That was the ugliest game I've ever watched. Hitting 3 for 11 from foul line is a joke. I'm disgusted with the showing tonight. Nothing more to say, horrible!!

JDX47 writes:

That was painful to watch. Seriously, I believe I could have shot granny shots from half court and scored more points. Also, granny shots from the free throw line and shot better than the pathetic 30% they shot.

A zone isn't nearly as hard to attack as they made it look like. Pitiful.

vollerdash writes:

Teams are going to zone us, and zone us some more. Will be really lucky to play in the N.I.T at seasons end.The football team won a game in the confrence, looking for the same in bb.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

It is so tough being a vols fan these days. Same old story for this team…solid defense, terrible shooting, sub-par coaching.

I’ll give coach Zo credit for bringing hustle and good defense to a program that was always about offense under Pearl. However, he cannot coach offense. If a team plays zone against us we have ZERO answers and make no adjustments. I have never seen such a bad final 4 possessions of a game as I did tonight. I know part is execution but I put more on coaching. You cannot break a zone by passing back and forth on the perimeter until the shot clock winds down and then fire up a 3-pointer. I have to cut coach some slack though because when your so-called team “shooter” is Skylar Mcbee then you don’t have much of a chance to succeed. I know coach is all about recruiting athletes but we need some real shooters if we will ever make a tourney run. Shooting under 30% from the free throw is embarrassing. And as I have said a few times on here #32 should not play until he learns to pass the ball. He shoots the ball every time he touches it and either misses or gets rejected. Someone needs to tell him this is no longer JUCO so he is no longer the best player on the court.

If you want to look at the glass half full you can say we played a top 20 team very close on their home court. On the other hand, I have a hard time overlooking the careless turnovers and terrible shooting performances we have displayed against the only 2 quality teams we have faced this year (OK ST and Georgetown). I know the season is early so I will keep my hope that we start making our free throws and learn to break a zone as the season goes on.

PS…hire Petrino and lets start winning in Neyland again.

oldster writes:

I hate watching basketball where so much emphasis is on defense to the total and complete exclusion of offense. It is boring. I will not watch teams that shoot under 30 percent from the floor or free throw line. The former might be attributed to the defense of the other team in some degree, but the lousy free throw shooting just proves that the coach does not care if his players can do the single most important thing in basketball - put the ball in the hoop.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Yeah, I was screaming to the heavens with UT's horrid entry passes under the 3:00 min mark. You can not turn the ball over 3 times in the final minutes of games and ever win on the road against quality teams.

pcorange writes:

I would be mad at our middle school girls' team for not scoring any more than that in a game, lol. Heck of a defensive match, but neither team could score with any consistency.

CrankE writes:

Kevin O'Neill would be proud.

dvols writes:

note to UT fans....whenever TN loses the sky is not falling......

just saying!

sometimes it stinks having slightly above average intelligence..

huntined#565710 writes:

Same coaching as last year ...at end of game you are down 1 you take the ball and drive to the basket!!! get a lay-up or get a foul..... but at TENN we always jack up a 3 and we get another loss.

lomas98 writes:

I would not have felt any better even if we won 38-37. Just a horrible game to watch. JTIII wasn't happy with his team although they won. Opportunities to win although we were playing awful. I do think our defense was great and obviously kept us in the game. Stokes with 3 shots should never happen but we just couldn't get him the ball. Just goes to show we still don't have players with good basketball iq and we just don't have a consistent shooter to make teams pay for zoning us. Need to worry about Virginia next and get a non conference win.

ETownVol writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Was thinking the exact same thing. When I saw the score I was like... "what the hell.... did Dooley sneak in and coach this game?" Pathetic to hold a team to 37 points and still lose. Those hoping basketball would make them forget about the football team's woes may be in for a long season. Lucky to get 20 wins this year.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

As frustrated as I was watching this coyote-ugly basketball game, I think the Vols can take some positives away from this. They weren't intimidated. They competed strong on the glass at both ends. Their defense was outstanding for a full 40 minutes. Overall, this is a good basketball team in the making. The Hoyas scored 37 points on their home court. This is the same team that nearly took out Indiana on a neutral floor. UT took this team out of their rhythm and nearly got a W in DC.

All in all, I think this team has very good potential. Tonight proves they can play defense with anybody. But they still have to step it up consistently on offense to beat the best. And make some free throws!

eb502us#225637 writes:

Was Buzz Peterson back on the sideline?

Certainly looked that way as we looked clueless as to how to attack a zone defense.

I like Coach Martin but I could have done a better job instructing the team than what I saw tonight. I'm not going to criticize the players because that game was all about coaching or the lack thereof. Absolutely pathetic!!

crmcm44#321757 writes:

Decent defense with no offense. Either the team is incapable of following the offensive game plan or they don't have one.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ETownVol:

This team plays way too stout on defense to be confused with Dooley's bunch..JAT.

budd#207344 writes:

There must be a session on foul shooting. I know the mantra about getting into their heads but this team is awful. There is no way they get worse. They need to run every time a free throw is missed in practice and they will get the technique down real quick. Free throws lost this game

UT4prez writes:

It's fine to lose but we couldn't get any good shots, had horrible turnovers, and worse free throw shooting. The jury is very much still out on this coach.

Someone said we couldn't get Stokes the ball. First, our wings are very bad at entry passes. It wasn't just Stokes they missed inside. Second, the few times we did get it to him he waited for the double or triple team and would try to dribble out of it. He needs a quick move to get a score or learn to pass it out when the double comes.

Hall and Golden had way too many bad turnovers. Gtown played great D and their length makes it tough to pass.

I've been mostly negative. We played great D, fought hard, rebounded extremely well, and I liked some of the moves Coach made at times. Like when Kenny had 2 straight turnovers with about 3 minutes left. I was screaming to take him out and Coach did just that. Tough loss. Ugly game. How does our bball team give up less than out football team?

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to Smokey91:

UT can build a brand new arena with all those bricks.

That's pretty funny

straightshooter writes:

That was a horrible game. Sure ESPN hated broadcasting it as I suspect not 1 in 5 people watched the entire game. Looked like 2 sub .500 teams and each having an off night at that. So goes the basketball season also.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to UT4prez:

I agree on Hall but the only problem with taking him out is we replace him with someone like Edwards. Hall and McCrae still play like freshman, they either play great or horrible and make at least 3-4 dumb plays per game. I also find all of these new kids very troubling, none of them except maybe Chievous had any business on the floor tonight. If Armani Moore is our backup point guard we are in big trouble.

tomkats3242 writes:

Looks like another Mike Hamiliton bust. Thought he was going to be different but I watch a team that could not play half the high school teams in TN and beat them. There is no excuse for not making free throws. Team looks like a bunch of thugs. Need to shave, get a hair cut and represent UT with pride not like a california team.

reidtownriverrat writes:

Twenty seconds, down by one we jack up 2 trey's. Stokes takes 3 shots the entire game. Sit (cant hit three McBee) and go low to Stokes and win game. Cuonzo really needs to evaluate his offensive game plan. Should had upset a top 20 team that their only loss is to Hoosiers in OT. Put this one on the coach. HURRY BACK MAYMON!!!

bobe4544 writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Get Shaka Smart before its too late.

eduardo writes:

Got to have Golden penetrate the zone. Would of opened things up a little bit. 3 possessions inside of a minute to play and dont get the ball down on the blocks. You have a stud in Stokes he should touch the ball in those situations.

GerryOP writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

PS…hire Petrino and lets start winning in Neyland again.

Thanks Chicken Little. I prefer to believe that it was one hard fought game with both teams having an off-night shooting the ball. It happens.

To shoot that bad and still have a chance to win is not all bad. G'town is never easy for anybody.

Oh, ditto your Petrino comment.

jt45 writes:

Embarrassing to say the least, however Georgetown looked just as bad . Still based on what ive seen of a few SEC teams this year UT should finish near the top. They need Maymon back ASAP.

ACWLY writes:

As far as I'm concerned we've came a long way, taking a top 20 team down to the wire. Not proud of the loss, not proud of all the missed shots and certainly not proud of the execution during the last moments, but proud we had a chance to win at the end, something we haven't seen much of in the last few years... Getting better, thanks to a GOOD coach.

LSG410EC83 writes:

Did not get to watch the game except for the last 3 minutes. Was waiting for it to go inside, but we for some reason settled for 3's. Disappointing game for sure, but hey, the did play a top 20 and only got beat by one. What is more dissappointing than the way the guys played is some of our fan base. 6 games in and ready to get rid of about the only stability we have in our sports department at this point. Yeah Stokes only got 3 shots, but who do you think they are keying on. May as well get used to it until Maymon comes back or Hall steps up. Coach can't shoot for the guys, especially at the free throw line. Better to have games like this so they can work on offense. A 88-87 point game counts the same in the loss column as the game tonight. At least we do have a defensive game. No matter what, I AM STILL PROUD TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

easttnvol21 writes:

That was one of the most pathetic efforts I have seen---this team can't even get a shot and when they do they have the touch of a blacksmith. Call it what you want---I call it ugly---30+ points? Are you kidding? And, once again foul shooting is sad----seriously, this team is bad, real bad. Simply hard to watch.

tan007 writes:

in response to dvols:

Maymon coming back will help

tough loss..

Does anyone know when or if Maymon is coming back? I haven't heard a report on him in a long time.

tan007 writes:

in response to oldster:

This was unusual, they have certainly improved this year on their free throw shooting in the other games.

tan007 writes:

in response to decades_vol:

I agree and finally love to hear some positive commenets on this forum. This team made a very good showing on a number 20 ranked team. It will help at the end of the season when the RPI comes into play.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Did they play two halves of basketball?

tan007 writes:

in response to ACWLY:

I agree with you completely. Don't anybody compare basketball with football. We are making strides in basketball & I think Coach Martin is doing a good job. I am excited about this team, I think they are playing with intensity & sharing the ball, that is important. It is early in the season, folks...don't be so hard on them.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

Good job coach martin...your such a fine outstanding coach,please continue

golfman1975 writes:

This team will be fine. They held Georgetown without a field goal for the last 10 min of the first half. When you play defense with that kind of energy it hurts on the offensive side. Remember that Georgetown took #1 Indiana to overtime so take a deep breath...and either support the team or get out of dodge!!!

bogey74 writes:

Coach - how could you not call a timeout and draw up your best inbounds play? VERY disappointing. Team IQ is unbelievably low...

AHOUSE writes:

I did not expect all the bad print on here tonight. Yes, the game was ugly, however just two foul shots made and we win. The effort was intense. At the same time we played our of control,didn't get the ball inside--maybe because G T boxed Stokes. I think coach and the players will be better because of this game. It still is a young team with new players. GT blocked a lot of shots as they are taller. Also it's hard to win any close game if you can't shot free throws. I am 74 years old and can still make 8-10. It's all about rhythm, timing and follow through( practice!).
We will get better and win some big games.

VolGrad writes:

Another great defensive effort. Had a couple of chances to win at the end. Need to improve offensively.

Go Vols!

rumaso writes:

Two more years...

VolGrad writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Both defenses played solid which makes for an ugly game. It throws off the offenses on the few occasions when they do get an open shot. Neither team's offense ever got going because of the pressure defense. It is unusual though to see both defenses able to keep up the pressure all game long. Usually they start wearing down in the 2nd half.

Remember this Georgetown did take No. 1 Indiana to overtime.

Go Vols!

justafan4ut writes:

I'll take Freethrow for 200, Alex.

ROCKYnROCKFORD writes:

Dubious distinctions of the day.....3 made FTs....game total

7 made FTs......are these records?

Points off the break? Somebody?........

How many millions did we put to sleep on ESPN?

How many recruits want to spend 4 yrs. in this system?