UT coach Derek Dooley says results will come if team sticks together

Tennessee Volunteers running back Rajion Neal (20) is stopped by Georgia Bulldogs defensive end Garrison Smith (56) during the second half against Georgia Saturday, Sep. 29, 2012 at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Tennessee Volunteers running back Rajion Neal (20) is stopped by Georgia Bulldogs defensive end Garrison Smith (56) during the second half against Georgia Saturday, Sep. 29, 2012 at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

What's your feeling about the Vols after the Georgia game?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Recap: Tennessee at Georgia

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said a review of defensive breakdowns in Saturday’s 51-44 loss at Georgia made him “madder than I’ve ever been,” but he was also encouraged by the growth of the Vols’ offensive line and running game.

“If this team stays together and stays the course — and I know they will — the results are going to come,” Dooley said Monday during a speech at the Knoxville Quarterback Club.

Dooley fielded questions for 40 minutes from the crowd at Calhoun’s on the River. The crowd was largely supportive.

“We’re behind you 100 percent,” one man told Dooley as he walked to his car. “I appreciate that very much,” Dooley replied.

The Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) are off this week before playing at No. 20 Mississippi State (4-0, 1-0) Oct. 13 in Starkville (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.) If MSU beats Kentucky this weekend, the Bulldogs will likely be the second of four consecutive Tennessee opponents ranked in the top 20 nationally.

Dooley, who is 0-12 against ranked opponents while at Tennessee, was snippy with reporters after Saturday’s game, believing they weren’t giving players enough credit for their progress.

“All I’ve ever wanted was that this team be measured on what they do and not on the sins of the past and how other teams have performed in the past,” Dooley said. “It’s probably why I was little jumpy given the criticism we were given prior to this game.”

While Dooley said the Vols are closer to turning a corner, he understands the frustration with the two league losses.

“It never happens when you want it to happen,” Dooley said. “It never goes on your timetable.”

Dooley said the defensive breakdowns in the first and third quarters were frustrating and perplexing, as the Vols made big stops in the second and fourth quarters on the same plays, using the same defense.

“It made me mad, madder than I’ve ever been,” Dooley said. “We need to be really upset at the way we performed.”

Dooley said young players would get a chance to compete for playing time during the off-week. He singled out freshman safety LaDarrell McNeil.

“He’s someone you guys are going to see a lot more of,” Dooley said.

Dooley said he was most pleased with the performance of the offensive line, which powered a successful running game while neutralizing Georgia’s fearsome defensive front.

“It looks like what we all want to see and what Tennessee fans have seen in the past,” Dooley said. “It was fun to watch. That’s a unit that has gone from being picked on and beat up on to being one of the best ones out there.”

One fan asked Dooley about CBS analyst Gary Danielson’s comments during the game that Tennessee was tipping its play-calls at the line of scrimmage and that he could tell when the Vols were going to run.

“It was a 200-yard rushing game against one of the top fronts in the nation,” Dooley said. “For next week, I’m probably going to send (Mississippi State coach) Dan (Mullen) our entire run-game package.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CoverOrange writes:

Why does it take a fan to ask the penetrating questions?

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why does it take a fan to ask the penetrating questions?

FYI.....UT & other teams, including teams in the NFL, have been "tipping off" running plays for as long as I can remember. RB lines up 7 yds deep, RUN. RB lines up 5 yds deep, pass or play action of some sort. 5 yds allows the RB to pick up the blocks, 7 yds allows the RB to gain steam before hitting the hole. It's nothing new and Danielson just wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about. Watch any college game this week and you'll see what I am talking about...

Classof72 writes:

"If this team stays together and stays the course — and I know they will — the results are going to come," Dooley said....

The results are already here. This season is not a rehearsal. It is what it is, and what it is isn't pretty. By the end of the season, the team may or may not be ready to play. They're still our Vols, they're just not ready yet.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

What do you think a UT coach should earn? Maybe your point is you think Dooley's not earning his pay. Many would agree with that. I don't know and don't care what they pay Dooley if it helps UT overall as a school. I'd like to believe at least that the success of UT sports has had a positive effect on UT academics.

I'm not really certain of what you were saying but you did bring up some interesting thoughts about $$ and sports. I have to say, "DON'T ASK ME!"

As for your comment about the Vandy win. well I'm glad we won.

Now for any one else who may read this...DON'T fall for the win at all costs dogma!!!!!!!

Give it some time. "If we build it they will come". well we hope so.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

I suppose I wasn't fooled because I know we lost. I would try to remove your "cr@p" comment but I realize it'd be hypocritical. Besides, your comments are always full of it.
BTW I should thank you for at least noting our improvement in our running game. I should.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

golly did you paste this on here from other threads?? Come up with a new one...or as Monte Python would say, "pull the other one".

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

Actually I really thought this one was funny...however much I disagree.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Classof72:

"But golly Beave! We're almost ready."

SCVFL writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Walt,
Jealous that the guy in the cube across from you makes more than you do?

GO BIG RNG...VFL

SCVFL writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

tune,
You have one part right. CDD is "earning" his salary. Why don't you do the same?

GO BIG RNG...VFL

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

Well, well..... let's take a look back in time shall we? I remember when everyone was saying Majors had to go- he was a drunk. Fulmer shows success but fans said he was riding on Major's coat tails. Then fans state Fulmer's time had come and gone and he needed to go. Enter Kiffin and Company. Granted we had 5 star recruits but posting bond became a weekly endeavor. Fans stated they didn't care about wins but were more concerned about integrity. Boom...Kiff leaves us high and dry, steals recruits and enter Dooley. Dooley isn't providing the wins soon enough (after the program was completely dismantled) and now he's in the hot seat.

Fact of the matter is, if by some cosmic wonder Gruden was head coach and we haven't won a Nat'l Championship within three- the blogs would be filled with "he was just in it for the money". I personally miss the bragging rights, the upper tier bowls, calculating possible losses in lieu of possible wins- but I'm also realistic enough to know that these things move in cycles. Sadly enough, in the SEC a down year spells disaster. This program was decimated beyond what anyone had imagined. We have a coach who is high on integrity, bail and bond money is no longer needed, and albeit slow- progress has been made. Is it nearly as quick a turn around as I had hoped? Not hardly. The simple fact is we have a head coach that will put the pieces together. I've seen improvement and it's hard to fault a guy for that. Players are graduating and I don't see players being paid to play. As long as the improvement continues, however slow, I can live with that.

JayTee writes:

We don't need a coach replying to a fan with snide comments when asked a question. He did the same thing in Memphis.

Dooley is showing that he is a smart a** and it's time to show him the door when he doesn't respect the fans.

SCVFL writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

O_P_T,

Could not agree more. But I still am a very frustrated VOL supporter. I just have TOO MUCH RNG in my blood. My heart is starving for a W, but my brain says I need to bare it out.
I have said, as many have, that I do not know if CDD is the man for the long haul, or if he is SEC quality. I do know that he took on what NOBODY else would. IMO, that awards him the 3-4 years to see what he can do. Now if he does not
continue to show growth through this season, and next then it might be time. But for NOW, he is the man with the plan and needs the fans.
Why fans stay up at night praying for his failure is unbelievable to me. Stay the course.

GO BIG RNG...VFL

NewMarketVol writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

Well said, you have to remember they also have seven new coaches and it will take a little time to install all the new schemes from new ideas and new coaching philosiphy. I see improvement and the wins will come. GO VOLS!!

CrankE writes:

So isn't this just the same article as yesterday, Littlejohn?

Ah, KnoxNewsPravda at their best again...

If you want to call it progress, it looks to me like this team has a few discrete problems that can be fixed within the context of a single season. That's an improvement over previous seasons where the problems couldn't even hope to be addressed until the next recruiting class.

For the first time in forever, UT gets an off week when they need it and the coaches now have a chance to fix these problems. I'm not particularly optimistic that they will fix them, but the opporutnity is there. Fix it and 8-4 or even 9-3 is still achievable. Fail and UT might be requiring a win over Kentucky to get bowl eligible.

UT has never had 3 consecutive losing seasons. If that's where this team winds up though, then Dooley is history.

Shore up or pack up.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Yes, yes, yes, he came here and everything was in shambles. And like a phoenix, with his tremendous coaching abilities we have risen out of the ashes..., well, not hardly.

We are 0-12 vs ranked teams, some here are relieved we only LOST by 7 to uga and are calling this improvement. We lost by 8 last year. If we didn't give up the big plays we woulda won..., uh huh. Woulda coulda, ifs and buts.

Let's just win 1 game against a top 25 team. We don't have to win the SEC East or SEC Championship - just 1 game against a ranked team! 0-2 so far this year with apparently 3 more chances against a top 25 team if MS St can hang in there until we get to Starkville.

If we go 0-5 AGAIN this year vs the ranked teams, making us 0-15 over the past 3 years, what improvement is there at the end of the day? Moral victories, kept it close in most losses and only lost by 28 to alabubba?

We win 7 games this year, have a winning season, but all 7 were vs the likes of ga st, troy, commodes, akron..., so is that the way we measure improvement, add another cupcake (did not see oregon, etc on there this year) to ensure success or be able to point to improvement?

And as far as CDD being madder than he has ever been, welcome to the club coach, you're late. There are thousands of charter members who used to get mad, but over the past several years our 'hope' has dwindled, and unfortunately many now just expect to lose when we play the good teams. We still pull for the VOLS every game but know before we play the outcome will be disappointing. That is where we are after 0-12.

How about going 1-14? Just 1 win vs a ranked team this year - that is improvement.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

LOL! So you understand what it takes to run a college program huh? How come you are behind a computer and not coaching some team to a national championship? What losers some of you people are and you don't even realize it.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Walt, your really setting yourself up for a name change should the team go 9-3 or 8-4. I'm a critic but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Saturday week should be an easy win. State is really overrated. So he'll then be 1-12. Then a so called moral victory aganst Bama and beat the chickens. McCullers will pancake Lattimore. Semper FI brother

6972 writes:

I am all for fixing problems, and the sooner the better. However, if a lack of speed, as I hear that exists,is a problem, that is a problem that cannont be fixed with the present group. What is suprising to me is, I thought the defensive secondary/linebackers was going to be one of the strengths of the team this year. I'd love to see no more missed PATs this year.

SCVFL writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

Hopeless,
How about waiting til the end of October to see if we have that one W? I still think CDDs 0-12 record is because the wrecking ball had already struck ant not because of him.
I am not sure if he is SEC caliber or not...but he took on a monumental task that no other wanted.
I also agree with other posters that you could probably buy a big name coach if enough money is thrown around...but not sure UTAD has the kind of money to throw around at this time.
CDD by virtue of accepting the challenge should and will be given the opportunity to improve the program. Unless it is just a total melt down this season (losses to VU and KU), he will be back for at least one more. So why not get behind him and hope that he builds at least a stable program that a big name would be interested in.

GO BIG RNG...VFL

adamsmith5529#630125 writes:

i thought the coach's job was to keep his team together.

mark36091 writes:

Gmoney58 writes:

Derrick Henry chose to go AL despite the talent that is already there ahead of him.
He probably starts @ TN next year.
CDD cannot, and will not be able to recruit the caliber of talent to compete with the upper echelon in the SEC.
If he does not defeat a ranked team this year,then how in the world can we expect anything different next year.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to SCVFL:

Hopeless,

GO BIG RNG...VFL

Yes, we'll all wait, like there is a choice.

And props to him for taking the job, but let's not act like it was a noble or brave move on his part. The unlikely but welcome opportunity (let's face it, he was not tearing it up at LA Tech) to move up to the premier conference and associated compensation package was far and away more than LA Tech would ever be able to fork over.

I 'hope' for a win every week, just don't expect them unless it is ga state, and would very much like to see CDD finally do well. Now into the 3d year, the 'look what he inherited' mantra is getting pretty thin.

Yes we'll all wait, and again, not predicting losses, just not expecting wins vs quality teams. Hoping "the team sticks together" is for us fans, it is not a course of action for CDD.

Damitman writes:

in response to JayTee:

So the fans can talk to him anyway they please and he's just supposed to take it because they are "the fans". If you and the others on here that don't like the coach and want to institute change so quickly why don't all of you apply for the coaching job and tell the A.D. how great you are and how fast you can turn it around. I was the biggest Fulmer fan in Vol country, but he forgot what his main job was and as a result, the team went into the basement. It was time to go. Kiffin, enough said. At least Coach Dooley is building a team from the ground up and trying to restore the pride we used to feel in our BIG ORANGE!! If you don't want to be smarted off to then show a little respect yourself. Just read how others speak of our coach and then tell me he should bow to the smart A@@ fan. If you are trully a Vols fan, you want to see them do well no matter who is coaching. I haven't forgot the Bill Battle days and the horrible way our great fans treated him and his family. Show some class and stop acting like a gator fan. GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

62vol writes:

in response to SCVFL:

O_P_T,

GO BIG RNG...VFL

Fully agree.
It could be that most of the slanted comments made on this site are made to feed the ego of the poster. Replies to their comments provides further nourishment. It seems that regardless of the topic, a certain percent of comments are negative just to feed ego.

Now that I have said that, I feel like a smart dude!

woodcutter writes:

We might just pick off a ranked team - no ranked team will take us as a serious threat.

volpreacher writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

You are such an idiot. The offense done a great job. Talked with a die hard Alabama fan today and he said he wouldn't doubt at all UT beating Alabama this year. I think if UT plays the way they did SAturday and cut down the turnovers and big plays, they can beat ANYONE. And if they cut down the turnovers they can beat most of the ones on their schedule. UT will win 8 or 9 games this year. So fans, show up at the Alabama game, you might just see something great happen. Go Vols. And go somewhere Walt, no one wants to listen to your stupid comments.

mark36091 writes:

in response to Gmoney58:

He probably starts @ TN next year.

He went to Alabama because he WANTED to go to Alabama. Every school out there told him that same thing Alabama did, but went there because they've had success putting their last two running backs in the pros. Nothing Dooley could have said would have changed his mind because our running game has been horrible the last couple of years because of the lack of talent we had when Dooley got here. Stop blaming Dooley for everything!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to mark36091:

And your diatribe is so worthy, relavant and differnt from others. The deep thoughts you put into your post are truly original and mensa material. You are so much smarter than those you disagree with. One win vs a ranked team = miracle workers, I was not aware hoping for this was such a lofty request.

Yes all knowing one, we competed, it was close, another moral victory, we played the WHOLE game, thank you for pointing out such noteworthy improvements.

Thank you, and please feel free to puke, you appear to need some relief.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

BBV...... Toddyturd is too busy running the family TV & Rabbit Ear rental empire to worry about coaching. Rumor has it that as soon as his parents retire from the 1 store empire, Toddyturd will become Day Shift Manager and will finally be given a key to the store. Toddy is hoping there will soon be an ObamaTV program in conjunction with the ObamaPhone program. Look for a profile of Toddyturd in next month's Fortune Magazine!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

BigBadVol,

You said it friend. As far as this Billy "the kid" is concerned, he has always had a big mouth for a kid, but essentially says nothing.

Give him credit though..........he's good at getting banned and dreaming up more screen names.

But again, this is just an immature kid running his mouth, just as the other trolls
are prone to do. He is as you said, camping out on somebody else's computer just being a nuisance. The kid needs to stay back in "the grove" or wherever he claims to come from.

Gmoney58 writes:

in response to mark36091:

I don't blame CDD for the program being in the shape it is.

VolsSquid writes:

Gary Danielson is an Idiot, I wish he would move on to Florida or Georgia. It seemed he wanted to go out on the field and give Gurley a kiss....what an idiot. Stay at home.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to JayTee:

Lighten up Francis!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

BigBadVol,

ocv....let me set the record straight here. "collegegrovebilly" is the former troll known as "toddyboy". Billy is a play on his first name "William". Toddyboy is not a kid. In fact, Toddy is late 40's and lives at home with mommy & daddy down in Tuscaloozer. I know all this because over the course of time Toddy posted most of this information himself....even about the family TV & Rabbit Ear rental store in Tuscaloozer. He is the one who is DELUSIONAL.

62vol writes:

Hey, would one of you guys that has inside knowledge on such thinks as what Dooley thinks and what the entire U.T. admin staff thinks and ever thought- Any one of you----
PLEASE------
Send me the powerball numbers for this Saturday.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Pass protection will have to be better because Bray will be rushed more than any game he has faced. And, his receivers will have defenders on them like glue. Running on Alabama just doesn't happen. The offense sometimes sputters, but the defense never does.

maciste54 writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Yep and you just proved you're still a loser !

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

Interesting observation..Chaney also tips the run with his TE alignment and certainly in the 2 back set..The 2 back set would be more effective if Graham coached Ben better to be more aggressive..I watch the FB closely and way to often he just goes through the motion instead of turning the LB out of position instead of just trying to tie him up..Graham should pull up old film from the days of Roland((bowling ball)) Poles to see how it's really done..I can't think of many ways to better disguise the run beyond lining up in a straight I formation..Do you have any ideas on this lifetime?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Nice observation Joe..No way to prepare for Saban's blitz schemes and that kind of pocket breakdown would even make Joe Montana make bad throws..Still it depends also on CB coverage and as usual Bama's got good ones..I don't think running against Bama's front 7 would be that much harder than running on GA

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Your posts are so stupid... I think you're the one has no clue.... IJS

volinlouisvilleky writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

A legend in your own mind!

FightingScot88 writes:

I like UT's chances with 2 weeks to get ready for Miss. St. So many positives offensively from the Georgia game. Two weeks allows time to get everyone healthy and fix some of the defensive problems. Don't count the Vols out yet!!!

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to JayTee:

JayTee... I think you might need to get a life with Walt 81... Maybe sit together at the games..

TheCopper writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

The only thing we acknowledge is that you are an idiot. But, hey, if you are so confident in your so-called "greatness", why don't you schedule an appointment with Mr. Hart and explain to him why it would be a great idea to hire you. Tell him why you would have the Vols at 5-0 instead of 3-2. I would venture to guess you would be escorted out by campus police in a matter of minutes. Dude, if stupid were against the law, you would be on death row.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Walt has said if the Vols win 8 this year he will never post again even under another name, so he will be gone for good this year, just like he was after the NCS game for two weeks. Crappieking has also stated the same.

I think he will be a man of his word and leave when we win the 8.

By the way there is no such thing as a moral victory this is something Kiffen started after his loss to the Gators. There is learning from both victory and defeat and I think the Vols learned a lot from this game.

Go Vols

Cousin_Eddie writes:

I thought we'd end up 8-4 this year. I still think so. I honestly can't to be too upset about losing to the current #10 and #5 team in the country. This team has had no senior leadership their entire time here to show them what it takes to win. They've been on their own in that regard. The talent is now there, but they're still finding their way.

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Now that is funny !!!

15_counting writes:

in response to Gmoney58:

He probably starts @ TN next year.

The "you can be a starter here as a freshman" is not what the 4/5 star recruits want to hear! Saban is telling as well as showing them he will get them to the next level! That's the goal of the top recruits!

Saban quote:

We don’t put any pressure on anybody in recruiting, so we don’t really care when they decide where they want to go. … I’ve told some really, really good guys that were big-time, 5-star recruits that everybody in the world wanted and they told me they were going some place else, and I told them, ‘I feel bad about that. Because you really kind of need us more than we need you.’ And in most cases, those guys didn’t make it someplace else, because they didn’t have the discipline and the structure in the program. …”