Derek Dooley: Vols will define themselves in off week

Associated Press

Photo by John Bazemore, AP2012

Associated Press Tennessee coach Derek Dooley yells to his players in the second half of a 51-44 loss to Georgia in Athens, Ga., on Sept. 29, 2012.

Tennesseee football practice, Oct. 2, 2012

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley has challenged each of his players to pick two goals for the off-week, trying to avoid waning focus with no game to prepare for on Saturday.

“It’s important that players have a defined purpose for every day,” Dooley said this morning after practice.

Linebacker Herman Lathers said players shared the goals with their position coach and were expected to work on them during practice.

Lathers picked improved alignment and better recognition of offensive formations to help stem the big plays that have plagued the Vols’ defense.

“In the SEC, teams are going to try to run on you -- especially now after the Georgia game,” Lathers said.

The off-week could be particularly helpful to Curt Maggitt, a linebacker battling turf toe. Dooley said the injury has limited Maggitt a little, but the biggest culprit

in Maggitt’s struggles is lack of experience in the defense.

“Early in the game, he’ll screw something up and then later in the game, he’ll see the same play and make the play,” Dooley said. “That’s what good players do. They

learn how to survive.”

Dooley said the kicking competition will go on, although it looks like Michael Palardy’s job to lose after Brodus missed an extra point and a short field goal against

Georgia. Dooley noted that Tennessee is still 8-for-10 in field goals, which would satisfy most coaches. The extra points, however, have proved more difficult.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at www.twitter.com/TennesseeBeat.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

I mean man we're talking practice man....man it's practice.....don't you know we are talking practice..... Forget Mr. Iverson's opinion of practice and apply yourselves to improving to be better....ok rah rah rah.....stil....GO VOLS!!!

StoneJackBaller writes:

The only way we will win against MS State is if we can stop the run. If we keep giving up multiple 75 yard TD runs, we will keep losing.

tomatosoup writes:

Alright folks....man do I feel good about going down to Mississippi State and what a week to have a bye (preparation)!!! I have a feeling the Coaches will be working hard on the 3-4 defense and can't wait to see it. I can tell (and I hope most others too)that Coach Dooley is indeed putting a better product out on the field. As I told folks numerous times on here, the 3-4 defense is not something learned (more importantly, executed) over night! Alright VOL fans, we have a bye week to study up, will BEAT MSU and come October 14th, will be ranked in the Top 25 again!!!! Yes!!! Go Vols!!!

Something I just thought of....oh yes.....If we beat MSU (which I'm telling you we will) and ranked yet once again in the Top 25, I have a feeling the UT/Alabubba game will be nationally televised.....Oh snap, can we say possible HUGE upset!!!! Gooooooo Vols! Hel_ Yeah!!!!!

usafvol writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

True statement..

Classof72 writes:

Better late than never. It's not too late for this team to achieve something special. Last year's team was never really competent. This team needs to coordinate the defense and play defense respectably. Then, they can achieve something. GO VOLS!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Vol for gzus,

Exactly my friend. What we need to see is practicing more practices. It's all a matter of practice, which is a common practice.

Go Vols and work hard...........at practice !
Then, take what you worked on at practice to the game itself.

OK, I'll quit ! Starting to sound like Billy the kid from the grove.

Go Big O

tomatosoup writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

PROMISE, the coaching staff will have our guys working like heck on better execution of Sal's 3-4 defense and I DO NOT see a 75 yeard TD run by Miss. State next Saturday!!!!! Go Vols!

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

If we watch film and work like heck I don't see any reason we can't be in the mix and in the hunt We also have to stay out of trouble Fully out of trouble and we will be in the hunt to get those bulldogs.

UTVOL2001 writes:

I know I am excited about watching the rest of the season play out! I will not miss a minute of it! Go VOLS!

jobrando#216494 writes:

VOLS 42 State 21

tomatosoup writes:

in response to UTVOL2001:

Spoken like a TRUE Vol fan.....that's what I'm talking about!!! Gooooo Vols!

pcorange writes:

What am I missing here? The players are telling the coaches what they would like to work on in practice? Something tells me that ought to be the other way around...

JayTee writes:

No good players know what to do before the game starts that's what practice is for.

We are four games into the season and the same mistakes keep happening. Either they can't learn or you don't know how to teach.

crappieking writes:

Since we are defining things here, the definition of our defense is that it stinks. Bad angles, can't tackle, no speed, can't cover, Bad choice for DC etc... Other than that, they are a pretty good unit.

BigToe18 writes:

This is a good team about to be Great,we only have 3 maybe 4 SR. on the team. we need a jamal lewis or travis henry to come in as running back. Tenn. could have and should had beat the Dogs we know that and so do they. We beat OURSELFS in that game,but defense does need to do alot better

asm2008 writes:

NOONE NEEDS TO BE FIRED. NOONE NEEDS TO BE NEGATIVE. I HATE BEING A PART OF LOSING JUST LIKE ALL OTHER VOL FANS. BUT, YOU HAVE TO BE REALISTIC. ONLY ONE TEAM IS SATISFIED AT THE END OF THE YEAR. IF WE FIRE THE COACHES, THE RECRUITING HAS TO START ALL OVER AND WE ARE IN A SLUMP AGAIN FOR YEARS. THE FANS THAT SAY FIRE DOOLEY ARENT BEING REALISTIC. THINK BIG PICTURE.... DO I THINK HE IS THE BEST COACH. NO. DO I THINK HE IS A GOOD FIT WITH ALOT OF UPSIDE AND CAN GET BETTER... YES.
I AGREE HE HASNT BEAT A RANKED TEAM. BUT HE HAS COME CLOSE MANY TIMES. HE HAS HAD SOMEONE ELSES PLAYERS, DIFFERENT COACHES, AND HAD TO DO IT ALL IN THE SEC. 4 OUT OF THE TOP 6 TEAMS ARE FROM OUR CONFERENCE. CUT ALL THE phooey AND JUST GO WITH THE FLOW. IF HE HASNT MADE A BIG SPLASH AND KEPT US RANKED IN 2 YEARS, THEN WE GO A DIFFERENT DIRECTION. UNTIL THEN, GIVE IT A REST. WHEN THEY WIN, YOU SAY "WE" WHEN THEY LOSE YOU SAY "THEY". I AM A FAIRWEATHER FAN AND ADMIT IT. BUT I DONT SCREAM FIRE THEM ALL BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND REALITY FROM IGNORANCE.
DOOLEY WILL NOT GET FIRED THIS YEAR EVEN AT 7-5. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT. SO JUST SIT BACK, SUPPORT OUR PLAYERS, AND WATCH IT. ITS NOT LIKE THEY GO OUT ON THE FIELD AND TRY TO LOSE OR MESS UP. ITS HOW THEY RESPOND AND KEEP COMING BACK OUT THERE WITH "FIRE" EVERY WEEK
.....

fearthehound writes:

in response to asm2008:

.....

I agree wholeheartedly...but do you have to yell?

BigToe18 writes:

Why on 1st down do we always run up the middle thats a wasted down for us(maybe 1 yrd.) all the other teams seem to know this also, Even Gary Danielson said something about it. CHANEY has become to Preditable, thats what happen to fulmer and look where he is now

BigToe18 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

I agree wholeheartedly...but do you have to yell?

I agree also, Man!! my ears are hurtin know:)

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to asm2008:

.....

I stopped reading this post after the first sentence...too loud!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to BigToe18:

Sorry my friend but I've got to tally disagree with you about Chaney being too preditable. Prior to this game, 80% of these posts say "why did Chaney go away from run" or "why doesn't Chaney have them running the ball more to open up the throwing game". Well my friend, Chaney decided to switch things up against Georgia, running the ball down the Dawgs throat and then allowing Tyler to sling the pig skin. Don't worry and have faith, just wait till next Saturday! Go Vols!!

VolGrad writes:

in response to pcorange:

That is a common teaching technique. It challenges them to think beyond mere knowledge, numbers, facts and even the comprehension of that knowledge. They have to actually "evaluate" themselves based on what they already know and understand, analyze their own performance in each area and then set goals for improvement. Here they are being asked to come up with specific goals to attain beyond what they've yet achieved. It is much easier for them to take ownership of that and encourages further self-evaluation in the future which a sign of maturity, an independent learner.

On rare occasions we get a guy from HS who may already be doing that, like an Eric Berry or Peyton Manning. They just soaked up the knowledge and were constantly pushing for more. They rarely had to be told by coaches what they needed to work on, 'cause they already knew it and were working on it. As a result they become "coaches" on the field.

With most of us, we have to be led through this process. Apparently the coaches feel the bulk of this team has had time to "learn" what they need to learn. Now they need to learn accountability and take ownership. It is just another step towards maturing, in this case, as a football player- learning to challenge yourself and take pride in your own personal accomplishments.

Hope that makes sense.

Go Vols!

voloffaith writes:

in response to pcorange:

pc stand for politically correct? just curious...coaches were looking for players to take ownership of bye week...I'm confident if anybody was lacking in their two areas for focus suggestions would be readily available(wink..wink)

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I'm thinking that to the defense at least there will be more than a few suggestions.hehe "Do it right or don't play". It may be time for the starters in the Dbackz(sorry) to be worried about playing. the D Line may need a filler or two.

fordboys12 (Inactive) writes:

Better hope this "definition" leads to some victories; and I don't mean the moral kind!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to asm2008:

.....

I agree with you plea. Iv'e thought 7-5 would give him another year. Only exception is butt whippings in the next three. Got to have the moral victories in those. Heck we are just Vandy like trying to break out of the moral victory category. I'm hoping we do that in the next game.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to fordboys12:

I agree with whoever said there are no "moral victories". Just wins or losses. The team will want to learn from whichever happens. "Moral Victory" is just a code for the trolls to use. They think we should be fighting for a championship every season regardless of what's happening in the real world. well eventually we will be but our circumstances now call for patience and team support. TEAM does include the coaches.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I would like to see the dead wood in the secondary have there positions back in competition with what ever freshmen we got. They suck.

CCLC writes:

THIS IS NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORY. But what happened last Sat with Tenn game should have saved Dooley from being fired in the middle of the season if not extend his coaching life for another season.

It could be providential indeed. UGA literally saving one of its alums, Athens boy, and baby, breathing more life to his coaching career, and still winning and keeping UGA dreams alive. Nobody was hurt bad and therefore everybody lives for another game. Now go beat the pretender Bulldogs!
just sayin'

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Ok I shouldn't reply to the suck comment but it is what it is.

I don't know exactly how our freshmen have practiced or played. They may have no clue about our "schemes". I hope this short 2 weeks will help some.

Reality may be that Sunseri needs another year to get some big speed in here. I don't personally care about the star system but I'd like to see some coachables come in on defense.
I'm not knocking our current players on purpose. They just haven't shown the ability to compete as of yet. Spotty at best.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to fearthehound:

I agree wholeheartedly...but do you have to yell?

I know, right? Heard that from all the way here in Virginia.

thevoice writes:

in response to asm2008:

.....

American readers prefer the use of "No one" to "Noone" 500 to 1.
Americans prefer the reading of text not in all capitals 100,000,000,000,000 to 1.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to thevoice:

American readers prefer the use of "No one" to "Noone" 500 to 1.

Yeah, and just who the heck is this "noone" character? LOL

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

so let me see if I understand you. Dooley as in Derrick was in trouble of some kind and to get out of trouble he has to play against and almost beat his "home team" Georgia?? I didn't know Georgia was Derrick's school of alumnacy(my word)? I thought his dad sent him elsewhere. I'm not saying he didn't take any courses there or didn't even get a degree there. I don't know. It doesn't matter.

UT almost beat Georgia on Georgia's turf. Almost may not be good enough but it does give me hope for the future. Darn'd if Dooley can git us anuther NC!! His dad got one after all.

jdt24boxer writes:

sick of morale victories, win or go back to georgia. what has this team accomplished to this point, to cause any excitement

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Yeah, and just who the heck is this "noone" character? LOL

I'M GUESSING THAT HE ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE CAPS KEY. I KNOW i do that sOMETIMES. NOONES SAYING HE'S WronG ABOUT HIs statements though.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jdt24boxer:

U thought U could sneak one in on us DID YOU!!!!!?????? (I like lot's of exclamations and stuff)

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Yeah, I'm guessing he got the message with about 5 or 6 replies.
I remember making a post in all caps, not realizing it meant you were yelling. Then about 10 guys told me to stop "yelling." "So, that's what posting in ALL CAPS means," I learned.

CCLC writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Herschel helped. SOD has a law degree from Georgia was a grad assistant there as well. I was really posting tongue in cheek though. UT's O line was very good. The biggest dif in the game. UT D shut down the dawgs in fourth quarter. Yeah I saw the game.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to CCLC:

Sooo, you guys like your chances against Visor Boy and the C0cks?

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to JayTee:

I would have to respectively disagree sir,

In the Georgia game I saw the Vols correct two blaring weaknesses. Last year this team would have folded in the face of being down 27-10 early in the game. This years team did not quit and kept competing for the entire game. Also, the running game was punishing uga, especially on UT's last two drives. I believe the Vols were driving to score when Bray fumbled.

Now, if the defense sees this kind of improvement while learning the 3-4 then this well be a very dangerous team.

Either way, this Vol fan sees the team correcting their mistakes.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Yeah, and just who the heck is this "noone" character? LOL

Think his name was Jimmy, played NG in the early 80s. No wait, that was Noonan. Never mind.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to AtopTheHill06:

I would have to respectively disagree sir,

Either way, this Vol fan sees the team correcting their mistakes.

I agree....people who don't see them getting better do so b/c they don't WANT to.

BeRealistic writes:

This 3-4 defense is not working. Go back to 4-3 which most high schoolers are use to. MST is no GA ST or Akron, this is a road game to win except maybe Vandy.

CCLC writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Sooo, you guys like your chances against Visor Boy and the C0cks?

The suspension era is finally over. Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational defense. ;-)

6972 writes:

Moral victories: I remember my coach talking about them. Okay, we have to win a moral victory this week! Yeah, right! Moral victories with a $1 will get a cup of coffee at McDonalds but they don't put numbers in the win column, don't increase your rankings in the polls, don't encourage recruits to come, don't send you to a bowl,and don't produce conference championship or national championship.
I think the coaches, the players and all the fans are ready for real victories. Go Vols. VFL.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to CCLC:

Yeah, um, about that "fully armed and operational defense," Mr Palpatine.

69grad writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

I stopped reading this post after the first sentence...too loud!

I liked it. I have partial hearing loss.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to 69grad:

I liked it. I have partial hearing loss.

What'd you say?

CCLC writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Yeah, um, about that "fully armed and operational defense," Mr Palpatine.

LOL. yeah I hear ya.
It's what we got so Ima go with that.