Mark Wiedmer: Letter to Tennessee's Tyler Bray — time to be the Vols' solution

Tennessee Volunteers quarterback Tyler Bray (8) looks for an open receiver during the second half of their 51-44 loss to Georgia on Saturday, Sep. 29, 2012 at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Dear Tyler Bray,

Just writing to ask that you use your off week wisely. Certainly it's tempting to blow off a little steam this time of year. But you already did that back in the summer, didn't you? So let's forget about trying to hit a dumpster with a beer bottle while riding a jet ski, shall we?

Besides, in case you haven't realized it, your college career is basically two-thirds over. And that's if you come back for your senior year. But more on that later.

So for now, try to buckle down in the film room, focus on the little things every day in practice -- like holding onto the football -- eat well and sleep at least eight hours every night.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press.

MilitaryBrat writes:

As someone posted on the Chattanooga web site - hopefully Tyler won't read this letter.

He pretty much berates Tyler the whole letter. Some of it might be on point, but overall it's very demeaning.

Hack writers like this and John Adams, make it an easy decision for guys like Tyler, Hunter, and Patterson, to jump to the NFL, instead of having pride in Tennessee to come back for next year.

Hopefully the true fans show that we all appreciate them and encourage them to stay around.

VolNavy writes:

Outside of envelope marked:
"Return to Sender--Insufficient Postage"
Blah, Blah, Blah

tomatosoup writes:

Geeeeeeze, what the frick is this!!! I was worried about our players reading all of the negative posts made over the past few weeks but am now wondering if I even want them reading the articles????? Way to show your support for our QB that has the 3 biggest games of his life on the line (not to mention Coach Dooley's career). A bye week should be a time for our players to focus and challange themselves to improve even more on what they have accomplished thus far! I sure hope UT has a filter that blocks any attempts of our players from accessing this site! Good grief and Goooooooo Vols!!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Does anyone on here(?) think that Wiedmer really knows Bray this well? A whole lot of assumptions about a college kid and what he does with his time. I usually respect wiedmer but this article left me feeling unamused.
It's not Tyler's fault the program was messed up when he got here. It's also this kind of journalism that tries to make UT unappealing to the future QBs and would be greats out there. This is low even if "tongue in cheek".

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Weidmer has NEVER to me sounded like a UT fan. He's not. He's been blatant in some other articles but this is the most thoughtless one I can recall. I may never read his articles again.
If there was a remove button for the article I'd definitely hit it.

utfan36 writes:

what a @$$ hole !!

richvol writes:

Weidmer hit the nail on the head. It's time for Bray to grow up and lead this team to victory instead of letting them down.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

If there was a remove button for the article I'd definitely hit it.

Dude....how funny, I was thinking the same thing about wishing I could "Suggest Removal" of this article! Go Vols!!!!!

BearGapVol73 writes:

This is pretty much what I have seen the last three years.

(1) Early predictions of great success with a great quarterback.

(2) Just a whole boatload of excuses for failure.

(3) Vicious ad hominum attacks on anyone who says the Emperor has no clothes.

Fact: Bray's NCAA QB rating is 147.71, 35th in the FBS.

Fact: La Tech is currently undefeated.

---- GBO

allvols4life writes:

Here is his email address. I would love to see his inbox explode with people that think this "article" was as classless as I thought it was. He may be right about some things, but this is a college aged young man that a grown adult is writing about. TASTELESS!

mwiedmer@timesfreepress.com

laraccoon writes:

i am a U T fan and while i dont want to see them lose i always try to keep it in perspective and remember that im sure it hurts these kids who are out there giving their all day after day alot more than it hurts me when they mess up or lose. Writing about sports is one thing but i think Wiedmer made this article a little to personal !

RememberWhen writes:

Mark Weidmer is a relevent sports writer! Said. No one. Ever.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I didn't find Weeds comments so much as having his tounge in his cheek, but more as having his head up his a$z!! What a fool.

hueypilot writes:

in response to allvols4life:

mwiedmer@timesfreepress.com

Oh please. "College aged" young men have been making good decisions, on football fields and battlefields for centuries. This article is on point. Bray represents what someone once called the most common fault in man-----unrealized potential. His interception at the 7 minute mark in the fourth quarter was due to poor mechanics. He sidearm slung it wide of the mark where a precise throw to Patterson's back shoulder was the only way to make that play. He does that kind of thing when under fire. Easy for me to say not looking at a 275 lb defensive end bearing down, but his foibles in the fourth quarter were almost all on first down where throwing the ball away and living to fight another down were his best option. Bray has an NFL arm and and Division III brain. I am hoping he finishes great, moves on and we can get Worley and or Peterman behind center. We will never win anything of consequence against a good team, given our porous defense, poor special team play and this guy at qb. We'll never outscore a quality opponent with this guy in the irons.

The truth hurts sometimes. Wiedmer may not be Grantland Rice, but he didn't say anything untrue in this story.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to richvol:

I agree and he'll surely take your advice as soon as (1) his defense stops giving up 50 points, (2) his running game returns from Siberia, (3) his veteran offensive line can actually block somebody and (4) he gets a coaching staff that has any clue what football is.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

I see a young man growing on and off the field; i'm glad Tyler is on this team and doing a good job leading us and improving every week. He has NFL talent and cares about his team. I won't be the fan who is critical about everything this team is trying to accomplish. I believe Tennessee can beat MSU so GO BIG ORANGE.

usafvol writes:

Those who can "do". Those who can't write about it while criticizing others..

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Man, what I wouldn't give if Mike Gundy was UT's head coach right now....

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to usafvol:

Those who can "do". Those who can't write about it while criticizing others..

Yeah, I have a real problem with this. I've been as critical of Bray as anyone, but my opinions aren't going to be viewed by nearly as many people as a city full of newspaper subscribers. And is Mark really telling Bray anything Bray doesn't know already? I don't think so.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Bray grew up a little during the UGA game. I know that wasn't the Bray that had his shoulders slumped in the middle of the meltdown against Florida.
But Bray's been pretty hard on himself too. And that says to me that he at least WANTS to be better. It's so easy for us to sit here and "MOnday-morning-QB" people to death, but again, I do it knowing that no football coach or player worth his weight is going to act on my opinions. It's a little different when you trumpet it from a news desk.

usafvol writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

I agree that Bray has made some stupid decisions off the field and has hopefully grown from that but at the end of the day, he's out there giving all he has. He makes mistakes but so does everyone that plays the game. Tyler Bray is the reason we have a chance and any opposing coach will tell you he's the one that they have to stop. Playing qb in the SEC in front of 100,000 screaming fans has more pressure than most of us can even imagine. I suspect the most pressure this hack writer will ever face is a story deadline..

Classof72 writes:

There may be a time for talking to Bray like that. If so, it will be when he's got a mega-bucks contract to win NFL games. The Vol coaches are professionals who get paid to take heat. Bray's a kid, trying to win for his team, his family, his school, the fans. He's very talented, he tries hard, he cares. The outcome of the games is the responsibility of Coach Dooley, not Tyler Bray. Coach Dooley is trying very hard, but, so far, the Vols are a day late and a dollar short. There's a lot of opportunity left for this team. They know they need to get better, fast. Let's give 'em a chance, and see how it goes. GO VOLS!

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Yes, good passing mechanics and etc. is required of a college quarterback. But, no ... football does not equate to a bad battlefield choice by either your high command or your 2nd louie resulting in trying to piece together body parts of your friends to send closed caskets home to moma. All these folks using some sort of military moniker get to me somehow. I do understand your pride of service, but there are many many men and women who have and are now proudly serving who feel no need to use a military service appellation in their postings. And those who do could be taken as if they believe it somehow adds credibility to their sports accumen. It dosen't. I could use this:
Combat Medic, Sergeant, US Army
95th Evac
China Beach, Da Nang, RVN
1971-1972
to be 'Sarge' or 'Doc' or 'Combat Medic'.
But that dosen't say what
'Olddogsrule - and Smokey Rules the Dogs' does, does it? I'm just another VFL. And I take it so are you.
Back to topic. It's the literary style The Weed chose to present his case. Insulting, demeaning, angry, extremely personal ... and unworthy of a sports section in an established newspaper. Were I The Weeds publisher, I'd send him xdown to distribution loading trucks for that one, anx his editor would also get a come uppance.

CrankE writes:

This is one of the best columns I've read in a very long time. Wiedmer speaks truth and hits the nail on the head.

It's no longer the trollz running him down. It's not just some mean old sportzwriter running him down. It is Bray's own performance. It is real and it can no longer be denied or ignored.

"We weren't ourselves out there."-Bray (i.e. We didn't build that.) YES YOU ARE, AND YES YOU DID!

The comparison to Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh from Bull Durham is spot on. Some have to work their butts off just to become "good". Bray on the other hand has a million dollar arm and is a good player even if he never works at it. Tyler Bray though is one of those rare few who have a genuine opportunity to become a GREAT one. Does he want to be? UT's coaches must have that critical conversation with him. Tell him the truth of what has been, what is, and what could be. If UT's coaches can not or will not do this, then they absolutely deserve to be fired.

The ball is quite literally in Bray's hands. I hope that he chooses to take the criticism, face it, grow from it, and become the player that we all thought he could be.

CCLC writes:

in response to hueypilot:

^^^^^^THIS!
Bray = Jeff George.
Great arm.... no qb smarts.
just sayin'

CCLC writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Combat Medic, Sergeant, US Army
95th Evac
China Beach, Da Nang, RVN
1971-1972
to be 'Sarge' or 'Doc' or 'Combat Medic'.
But that dosen't say what

I beg to differ sir. Not all battle field decisions are made by command or 2nd louies. You know that. Those decisions are more often than not made by the personnel on the field. "On the field" you see what I did there? Lots of folks use war as analogy for football or football as analogy for war, such as the blitz starting with war going to football and going back to war. Steve Spurrier often refers to The Art of War in some of his coaching clinics. I don't believe hueypilot was trying to gain any football status per his military analogy. I don't know .... but I don't think so. You penned a well written post. Kept my attention and was a nice find among so much foolish posting here. Thank you.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to CrankE:

As with Hueypilot, Cranky thinks couching the facts in a demeaning style is OK. Were I to work for HP I'd spend a lot of time on report and Brassoing garbage cans. Were I to work for Cranky, I'd tell him to take his job and shove it. My ol granny used to call their type Hoojers. -- ill mannered and uncouth.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to CrankE:

You really don't think hearing all this from a broken down old has-been catcher hitting a buck-fifty in the minors, allthewhile battling you for a mid-life baseball groupie is a little bit different from that of a sports-columnist announcing it to a city of 100,000?

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to CCLC:

^^^^^^THIS!
Bray = Jeff George.
Great arm.... no qb smarts.
just sayin'

Winstead....I am hoping the LameCocks lay a big dog-whoopin on the Doggies this week. "Gurshall" will be held to under 50 yards rushing...now that will make me smile! : )

CCLC writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

You may smile later ----maybe.... I'll smile now.... 2-0 in the SEC baby yeah, and number 5 in the nation. Yeah.... I'm smiling big time . YOU???
Not so much. GBO!

Hope and change... how's that working for you BigOrange.

murrayvol writes:

Bray has the physical tools to be an NFL qb. Whether he develops the mental package is YTBD.

In the near term he should watch a ton of film with his OC and posistion coach, learn when to give up on a play, and stop staring at primaries.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post! Yes, I want Tyler to work and succeed this year like you wouldn't believe but HONESTLY, I would not be surprised at all if Tyler comes back for his Senior Seasoon, especially if the Vols can win the remainder of their games after the Game Birds and can win one of the next big 3. In addition, Tyler would be lookin at having possibly both Patterson and Hunter again but this time.....as Seniors. Could you imagine????? Go Vols!

OrangePride writes:

in response to CCLC:

Not so much. GBO!

Hope and change... how's that working for you BigOrange.

The hope is workin pretty good........the change? Well, perhaps not so much. But there are still some big football games to be played here in Big Orange country. So back to item #1. GO VOLS!!

OrangePride writes:

Holy Smokes MW!! Nice going.....way to try and totally dismantle our QB. Some of what you say is factually correct, but the tapestry you've woven does nothing to either illuminate the way ahead or create any sense of personal progress for the team. Frankly, this is NOT on the shoulders of Bray. It's ALL of them...and I include the COACHES in that statement. I could give a fig about whether Bray is ready for the NFL. We need him ready for MSU. This team and staff need a plan to get everyone working together (as they did in qtrs 2 and 4 last week) for an entire 60 minutes. We do that and the Vols will be just fine......and Bray will be a big part of it. He's got the talent, now just let's put it all into one cohesive piece. GO VOLS!!

RealisticVol writes:

I agree with the critics of the article that it's style was unhelpful, but the ideas stated were 100 % spot on. Tyler 's future is in his brain right now and not his arm. Only 5 % of the great quarter backs are even drafted. Of those very few last more than their original contract. Tyler has millions of dollars on the line in future earnings to make or lose. If he doesn't develop his football brain and temperament, he does not have a chance to make many more millions and that would be a shame.

hueypilot writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Combat Medic, Sergeant, US Army
95th Evac
China Beach, Da Nang, RVN
1971-1972
to be 'Sarge' or 'Doc' or 'Combat Medic'.
But that dosen't say what

What "appelation" you choose to use in your postings is your business and I repect that. You chide those who use a military moniker but feel it necessary to give your military curriculum vitae, page and verse. Interesting.

My point was that college aged kids are many times required to make decisions, sometimes on sports fields, sometimes on battlefields, where clearly, the stakes are higher. My point was further that Mr. Bray is not absolved from making bad mistakes just because he is a college aged kid. He's the QB or if you'll forgive an old service expression, he's got the duty. If he didn't want it and the criticism that goes with when he screws up, maybe he should have gone to an different school in a different conference. Of those whom much is given, much is expected. Bray continues to make big mistakes in crunch time. Success occurs when preparation meets opportunity and Bray, according to reports, while active on the practice field is far from a film room junkie. I'm as big a vol fan as anyone, and have been for many years, but I'm not blind, and if many here object to Wiedmer's article, maybe its because it cuts a little too close to the bone.

RealisticVol writes:

in response to OrangePride:

If he was ready for the NFL, he would be ready for MSU.....and Bama............and SC......... and anybody else we play. What you say about the coaches and the rest of the team is true BUT all Tyler can control is how he prepares HIMSELF to eliminate his mistakes. Each of his teammates must do the same thing and I praise Dooley's challenge to them in this off week to do just thay.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to CCLC:

Many brown bars (2nd louies) received the Purple Heart in The Nam while 'seeing the elephant' and making a very bad decision ... for themselves, and the men in their command. I specifically included high command to allude to coaches and the lieutenant to the quarterback. Yes, The Ol' Ball Coach does that. Yes, The Blitzkreig is the allegory, but some folk take the comparisons a bridge too far. At the end of the day, college football ...even pro ... is a game. ......... with FANatical followers like me, showing up in the stadium as often as I can afford with my faded lucky shaker I bought at the 1998 Razorbacks game, going home hoarse, unable to do much more than croak from yelling my head off, with a few less strands in my lucky shaker, an wunnerin at which game I'll ever be able to get another.

OrangePride writes:

in response to RealisticVol:

To a point I agree that all Tyler can control is how he prepares himself. That said, it is also on the receivers to prepare themselves, the OL to prepare themselves, the RB's to prepare themselves, and Chaney et.al. to have a game plan schooled to MSU. Tyler needs to work together with the other parts inside that system and that's my point. NFL is NOT the goal here right now. If that's what Tyler were to have as his goal, then we are in lousy shape......and I don't think it is. As for Dooley, he has more to worry about on the OTHER side of the ball and getting that Sunseri defense straightened out. But, in spite of posts to the contrary, Dooley has going in the right direction. GO VOLS!

fearthehound writes:

harsh

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Ok. I get it. Let's linch Bray for losing to Georgia!

Now, let's try a little sanity. Bray made ONE big mental error -- he tried to force a pass to Patterson on first down, at mid-field, under duress, and it was just enough off the mark to be intercepted. He knew right after he threw it that he should have thrown it away. No need to punch him for it.

The other two interceptions were both tipped passes, not bad decisions, and one of them was in that "you have 15 seconds, no timeouts, and 65 yards to go" situation, which probably results in interceptions about 40% of the time in the game of football.

The unfortunate fumble was just bad timing. Bray isn't a guy the coaches spend a lot of time with, working on how to carry the ball when you're running through the line, or when you're running at all, since he doesn't do that more than 2 or 3 times a year. A QB like him (a pocket passer) is probably the easiest guy to strip the ball away from on the entire offense.

I'm just thinking it's a bummer that if that Bennett guy at Georgia had to get injured in practice, he didn't do it last week instead of this week.

SummittsCourt writes:

What a petty article from a small petty man.

WelovePat writes:

this is very harsh...but remember...Tyler is someone's son.

DonK37920 writes:

Wiedmer, you are a writer for a newspaper in Chattanooga. Your opinion may have been relevant prior to the internet but now I can see the same press conferences and interviews that you see and report on by going to youtube. Usually within minutes of them happening. Seeing that your job and livelihood is becoming less and less relevant, is this a desperate attempt at creating controversy? Here's an idea! Next time you think that Tyler Bray care's about your opinion of how he should use his off week, know that you are wrong. Put your pen back in your pocket protector and go write about something else!

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to hueypilot:

HP ..Thank you for your service! Yes, I purposely over did it to make my point. It wasn't necessary, it was a little personal, overdone and rude. To which you took some offense, and which you justly called me on. Which demonstrates, I believe, that it's no different than calling the tone of Weed's article inappropriate. Facts are one thing, a sports columnist setting out to use those facts and write an article as abusive as above is another. (This was a two part helicopter comment ... took a little while to land ... the fish.)

jobrando#216494 writes:

If he doesnt help this team get the win aganst State then it want matter. The new coach will go straight to Worley and Petterman next year

UTVOL2001 writes:

This article mad me upset because it was obviously something personal and Mark should be held accountable for that. Tyler, keep developing and fighting for the VOLS!

underthehill writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

I don't see any NFL team even considering Bray as a first rounder..he is a project at best..I wonder if UT fans who thought Hopson was a sure fire first rounder are the same who think Bray is..I don't see UT as having a first round prospect on this team..Bray might have a chance if he stayed another year..none now...

CrankE writes:

Torch the source. Check.
Whine about the presentation of fact. Check.
Ignore truth. Check.

We're not talking about Matt Simms or Rick Clausen or AJ Suggs here. Bray is a good QB who has it within himself to be a great QB. Does he want to be a great QB?

I would absolutely love to see him find that and put it into play. For UT, for his team, and for himself.

However, if Bray is not willing to do this, then both he and this team have probably reached a plateau. This is as good as it gets.

Think about it from another angle. The mere fact that we're even talking about Bray's repeated errors is evidence that his coaches are NOT talking about it. In the last 2 years, UT's coaches have not fixed these and they don't seem to be doing it this year either. (The same argument could be made with respect to UT's kickers and that speaks volumes about this coaching staff.)

All that is required to make this argument go away is to dispel it on the field. The next (and possibly final) opportunity is on October 13.

VolinCalif writes:

The problem is that when one is trying to get a point across, they sometimes have to say things in a neg fashion. Don't know if that is good or bad, it sometimes works. I don't really like what was said but if I am honest I have done the same things at times.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Man, what I wouldn't give if Mike Gundy was UT's head coach right now....

Well said. Now would be a great time for Dooley to take up for his qb.