Tennessee defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri: 'These big plays are killing me'

Tennessee defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri calls to his coaching staff during the Orange and White Game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 21, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri says the big plays that have frustrated fans and vexed his defense are wearing on him, too.

"My hair is getting whiter," he said Wednesday. "These big plays are killing me."

Sunseri said the Vols are focused on the fundamentals this week after surrendering 560 yards in a 51-44 loss at Georgia last week.

"You want to get back to make sure you're tackling properly, you're chasing the football, you're playing routes," Sunseri said. "This was a great week for us to get better. We're going to get better, but we're not near where we need to be."

After a week off, the Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) play at No. 20 Mississippi State (4-0, 1-0) on Oct. 13 (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.)

Sunseri said the Vols must do the "little things that give us a chance to win."

"The other day we had too many explosive plays, not enough people flying to the football, and that's what hurt us," he said. "It's just knowing the fits, knowing where you have to be and making a play in space. It is about 11 guys flying to the football. You can't just make it a one-guy game. Everyone has to get off a block and get over. Everybody has to hit him. Everyone has to come."

***

Linebacker Curt Maggitt (turf toe) isn't doing much on-field work this week to try to heal his nagging injury, and Sunseri said he's been limited in practice for the past few weeks.

"He doesn't really get to practice Tuesday, and then we get him a little bit Wednesday and Thursday," Sunseri said. "He's really learning on the run in the game. But that's no excuse. You can still watch tape, you can look at the things fundamentally that it takes to be an outside linebacker at a high standard.

"He will benefit from the off-week because it's a physical game and he plays a lot of plays. He's on the field for us a lot."

***

Kicker Michael Palardy said no one's told him officially that he will handle field goals next week against Mississippi State, but it seems likely after Derrick Brodus missed an extra point and short field goal against Georgia.

Palardy said there's no one reason why Tennessee kickers have missed four extra points this year.

"It could be a number of things," he said. "There are a lot of things that could go wrong, whether it is a snap or hold or a lack of concentration. If you miss a kick, whether it's an extra point, a field goal or anything like that, you just have to move on to the next one."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

Cost us two games we could have won.

TooDlems writes:

I got banned from this site last year after the second game when I said that the OL coach was a farce and they couldn't block their mama's.

pcshowtime writes:

so why make the switch. Stay with a 4-3 DC. If dooley was in love with 3-4 why not switch in year 1 not year 3. Stupidest move of dooley career so far.

RockyMountainVol_Killed_By_GVX writes:

The following is a copy of an e-mail sent to the GVX administrator:

I think I understand what's happened here, but I'd surely appreciate some confirmation.

I -- and a lot of other contributors -- are disheartened by your willingness to ban certain offensive contributors, only to allow them back onto your website in as little time as it takes to set up a new username. It's the same handful of people over and over and over again.

So I, being the wiseacre that I am, decided to make my own little protest: I suggested removal of every single comment these guys made... NOT because that any particular comment was necessarily offensive, but because they shouldn't even be allowed on a reasonably-run message board. I figured that, sooner or later, SOMEBODY at GVX might choose to address the underlying issue. If/when GVX administrators addressed the issue, I intended to cease and desist.

And, it appears that somebody did address the issue: they deactivated MY account... because, obviously, I am more offensive to GVX administrators than are the posters who routinely get away with all sorts of off-topic personal attacks on players and coaches.

Yeah, I guess I could do the same that the Jeff Flowers of this world do, and just crank out another username. But you know what? I don't intend to do that OTHER than to post a copy of this e-mail so other contributors can see what's happened. There is not a SINGLE COMMENT that I have ever made on your website that was deemed offensive. All I've done is tick off a board administrator because I had the nerve to repeatedly point out how spineless the administration of this site was. I got too annoying to the brass, so I got flushed just like the trash that repeatedly post offensive material.

If that's your idea of a message board that serves the public, you can have it.

Sincerely,

RockyMountainVol

KFDLaw writes:

The new defensive scheme is obviously confusing the players. Most of them seemed to be turned the wrong way and out of position most of the time in both the Florida and Georgia games. The new scheme may be a bit more snazzy, but if the players don't get it, then why use it.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Dooley didn't switch to the 3-4 right away because Wilcox didn't use it. The change takes a little time to get established. I'd hate to hear people clammoring to get rid of Dooley or Sunseri because of it. If people had been patient when Fulmer gave in to the pressure to move to a spread-option, we might not have had so many crappy seasons.

AllVol1 writes:

The 3-4 is deadly! The 3-4 is gonna put a holt on your body! The 3-4 is gonna make the boogers come out your nose!

You gotta be old school to recognize that this was actually Dusty Rhodes talking about the "weaver lock". The American Dream, baby.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

You're really not very smart about football kid.

CDD wanted to switch to the 3-4 D since day 1 at Tennessee.

The problem was that he had only 2 weeks to try and save the laMe kiffScum recruiting class, add some good players to that class and try to hire a coaching staff all at the same time and he couldn't find good coaches that really knew and could teach the 3-4 D in that tiny time period.

The 3-4D is the best D going but even in the NFL where players practice 10 to 12 hours per day it takes 2 YEARS to learn everything and get it down really well.

CDD also had to give his 1st coaching staff at least 2 year contracts before he could try to make a move to get a really good D coordinator that knows the 3-4 D inside out so when he had the opportunity to get the right guy he went and hired CSS away from alaBiubba.

Once we get things working well Tennessee will have 1 of the best D teams in the country just like alaBummer has.

VFL...GBO!!!

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

The Feeling is Mutual coach. There was a time in Tennessee football, when NOT stopping an opposing team in a close ball game was an outright disgrace.. now it seems it's just an ok thing to watch an opponent run up and down the field without the hint of a hang nail.

thevoice writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

You're really not very smart about football kid.

CDD wanted to switch to the 3-4 D since day 1 at Tennessee.

VFL...GBO!!!

I'm not so sure pc.. is a dumdum or a kid. What I think he meant was that Dooley is basically digging his own grave. I think there are merits to a 3-4 or a 4-3. I'm just tired of giving up 550 yards a game. We're paying Dooley $2M/yr to figure things out. He should have either scrapped the 3-4 desire, hired a DC who runs the 3-4 initially, or not taken the job. What's he going to do in 2 years, change the offensive scheme? Then what? Clawson all over again. I don't buy the "excuse" about Dooley not having time to get the guys he wanted. After the UK game Dooley was quoted as saying he doesn't anticipate any more coaching departures after the WR coach left. Then, 6 more coaches left. And I believe the 2-yr commitment was fulfilled, if that was an issue. I think Dooley's the dumdum.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Want happen...VOLS by 21+

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to TooDlems:

hopefully you'll get banned again

arkyvol writes:

the 3-4 is like the wishbone offense or the single wing for that matter. its success depends on what kind of athletes are playing it. the vols simply don't have the kind of personnel they had twenty years ago. from what i read in the recruiting rankings, that isn't going to change anytime soon.

seaplane#216536 writes:

You're going to get better because you can't get worse.

jobrando#216494 writes:

They have figured out what they are suppose to do but have not learned WHY

ashvol7 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

FULMER GOT LAZY AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED LONG BEFORE HE WAS! COST THE SCHOOL 6 MIL FOR NOTHING!

brod writes:

killing all ut fans

6972 writes:

"not near we need to be"....I just hope we get there soon! It's killing Sunseri, and it is killing us to. Still a VFL. I look forward to the day when visiting teams dread coming to the Hill to play the Orange.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

It was my understanding that we'd integrate the defense slowly at first into the 3-4. I'm guessing we've done that some and maybe that's just a part of the confusion?

Well we've got 2 weeks(minus a few days). It may take every bit of that time to fix things.hehe

I hope we really don't have to wait two years 'cause some "pro teams" can't learn this in less time. My feeling is find what is working now and use it. Easier said than done if we can't tackle, move to the ball, and etc.
I hope we're putting some recruiting effort into bigger and faaster linebackers. or maybe kickin' some ___ on our current players.

Sometimes these kids don't listen. I'm a teacher and I know this for fact. Sometimes they don't listen to anybody but their buddies. Sometimes you have to make it real plain.hehe

volswinsome writes:

Lack of actually fixing the problems within a month is what's killing me. Other teams have made the successful switch before (i.e. GA's 1st year under the 3-4 was last season, they lost the opener to BSU but by game 6, they finished with a better D stat wise that both AL & LSU the last the half the season). Makes me throw up a little to bring up his name, but Monty brought a new D & they picked it up & improved. Not a completely new D, but new, & both he & GA had better talent on the field, so granted.

The country simply gives too much credit to the 1 word resume - worked for "Saban". That's all you hear. They coached for him, superstar! You know, like Muchump & Dooley. Sensari was linebackers coach. I like the guy tho. Our D actually seems to stay up & least & doesn't seem to have the quiting attitude (stopping GA on those last few series), they just continue to make the same mistakes over & over & over.

Will be interesting to see what MS St does to KY, who's awful, but just gave SC a scare.

Classof72 writes:

It's not about you. It's about those kids out there who don't know what they're trying to do, because you haven't taught them successfully. If you don't like giving up so many big plays, quit gambling so much on blitzes with that slow secondary. At least make the opponent work a little to score. If they have to run multiple plays to score, there's a chance they might mess up once in a while. My guess is that the head coach is demanding that you play pressure man defense with blitzes, and you don't have the people to do it with.

BluezVol writes:

People at the beginning of the season said we'd probably end up 7-5 or 8-4 with a bowl game. We're on track for that. It will be an improvement over last year.

It amazes me to see people week after week actually believe we should be contending for the SEC east. Although closer, we're not there yet.

Getting rid of Dooley would be the worst thing that UT could do right now unless he loses out.

My concern is with next year with the departures to the NFL. Of course, I thought the same thing in '98 after Peyton left. '98 turned out pretty well.

VOLS34 writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

hopefully you'll get banned again

So now he doesn't have a right to free speech because you don't like what he has to say?

People on here are way to sensitive...

keithgibson writes:

Hey coach Sal, the big plays are killing you? well all I can say is these pretzels are making me thirsty!

SCVFL writes:

in response to thevoice:

What would you have expected CDD to say about coaches...that he was going to fire the whole bunch for losing to UK? Of course he said he did not anticipate any coaching changes. Some of his staff ran in fear for their lives and others were asked to leave. But regardless the staff is better now.
Also the reason for not going 3-4 right away was 2 fold, 1) wrong DC, 2) wrong LB types to run 3-4.
I do not want to over defend the switch, but I do believe it is a better, more exciting D scheme, it does take awhile for kids to learn what to do in every situation that gets thrown at them...but I also think that many of the big runs against the VOLS have been just poor technique...arm tackling, losing lanes, and terrible angles.
They should not be chasing the ball, they should be there attacking the ball.

GO BIG RNG...VFL

pcorange writes:

Hopefully Coach Sal can get this straightened out in the bye week. If not, we will be 3-3, 0-3 after Mississippi State. As it stands, all a running back has to do is get outside on us and it's a cake walk to the end zone.

woodcutter writes:

The big plays are killing you? They are killing the team!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to VOLS34:

People on here are way to sensitive...

hopefully you'll get banned again also

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Miss State is the best chance we have at securing a W in October. If it doesn't happen, that head coach's seat will keep getting hotter and John Gruden will be the most popular guy in East Tennessee (not that there's a chance that he'll leave the broadcasting booth for a college job, but that's a whole other topic).

62vol writes:

in response to TooDlems:

Why do you make such immature meaningfully hurtful statements about other people? Now you seem to be bragging about it. Are you OK? Anyone where you work claiming you are a farce and trying to get you fired? These are real people who hurt and cry. Are you sure last years teachings and a year of conditioning have not helped the OL?

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

In 2010 with the 4-3 we lost to uf by 14 points and uga by 27 points.
In 2011 with the 4-3 we lost to uf by 10 and uga by 8 points.
In 2012 with the 3-4 we lost to uf by 17 points and uga by 7.

4-3 or 3-4, same same. 6 games 6 losses.

Maybe the 3-4 will get better as we get more experienced with it. But all this crying for the 4-3 is puzzling at best. We were blown out at least 3 times each of the past 2 years where teams hung nearly 40 or more points on that 4-3. With these previous results, seems a change is worth a shot, and with 2 losing seasons in a row, the blowouts and many other double digit losses using the 4-3, why not?

StoneJackBaller writes:

The problem is not just installing the new defense, but it is mostly a lack of depth and talent. I expect to see our younger players more involved in the defensive backfield at MS State. Dooley's job is riding on this defensive switch, because the offense has been effective enough to win both games we lost.

jobrando#216494 writes:

TB is Killing Me sounds like the Blues

62vol writes:

in response to VOLS34:

People on here are way to sensitive...

The "hopefully you'll get banned again" comment may have been him using his right to free speech. You may be too sensitive about peoples rights to free speech and I may be too sensitive about people trying to hurt people with words.

OrangePsyched writes:

You don't just scrap your defensive philosophy at mid season. I think that we will see improvement next week though we will have growing pains all season. I'm an Arizona Cardinal fan and last year we had a new DC in Ray Horton. Whiz brought him in from Pittsburgh. The first 7 games we went 1-6. The coach and players both acknowledged players weren't staying true to their reponsibilities and there were breakdowns. The last 9 games we went 7-2. This year we're 4-0 and people are saying it's one of the best defenses in the NFL. Just saying that we have to keep working and learning. We have the personnel but you can't have 1 or 2 players blowing assignments without getting burned. You have to stay with gap assignments and contain on the corners. We will get better.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

You're really not very smart about football kid.

CDD wanted to switch to the 3-4 D since day 1 at Tennessee.

VFL...GBO!!!

Finally. A level-headed post about the 3-4 D. Thank you.

GO VOLS!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Maybe they coud just slow them down a little.

Maybe not....

pcshowtime writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

You're really not very smart about football kid.

CDD wanted to switch to the 3-4 D since day 1 at Tennessee.

VFL...GBO!!!

Wilcox beat stanford with the 4-3. and it seems to me that Chief at LSU does pretty darn good with a 4-3. Also what big time DL and LB recruits has dooley landed to make you think he can get the personnel to run the 3-4. But the most important thing is if it gets dooley fired it isn't going to matter what defense could be in two years. Although, it may have not been dooley decision to go this route could have been D. Hart. Seems like lately all you have to do to get a job coaching at UT is say you washed the Jock straps at the university of Alabama. For the most part Nick Saban's coaching Tree has been a bust. But look at it this way soon we can change the name to University of Alabama at Knoxville.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

I think the front seven will eventually come along..The 3-4 is totally about assignments and carrying them out..Each player has a specific job depending on the call and no one player can make up for anothers failure..It's all about getting game time repetitions to the point that it's automatic and that takes time!! Good point about or DB's..Iam shocked at how bad they tackle and the lack of coverage skills!! I watched Ole Miss DB's against Bama and with the exception of the slot receiver they came right up to the line and got in their face and ran step for step..It worked well for them because the Bama WR's aren't real fast..I would rather our DB's get in the WR's face and risk getting beat than playing 4 yards off and letting them run routes totally unimpeded because by the time they recover the balls already there!!Coach Ansley is teaching BAD skills and Conklin isn't much better!!

brokendownoldvol writes:

Do something besides yell about it.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Do something besides yell about it.

On one of the long runs Marshall broke on the replay the camera caught Dooley and Sal on the sideline in the same frame..Dooley gave Sal a look like he wanted to go over and grab him by the throat!!!I like the way Sal screams instead of patting them on the butt coming off the field..On GA's 2 point conversion we only had 9 guys on the field and had to call a TO..Sal was so mad I thought his head was gonna explode!!Coming out of the time out we were offside ,still out of position and the DB's gave up on the play..Whole defense laid down for an endzone picnic..Totally unacceptable!!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

MSU has a back probably faster than Gurley..He's broke big runs but that was against So Alabama..Watched the Bama defense last week and they are incredibly well coach..At this point they are really well versed on assignments because they have been doing it for so long!! You can tell Bama's players spend a lot of time coaching each other...Gonna be tough to out scheme them

volsgirl writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Realy notfunanymore ?
Vols 33-14

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

The bottom line is they have played not even close to a decent team so far this year. MTSU would clean there clock. VOLS by 21+

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

I'm keeping my finger crossed they can beat the Cats so the remain in the top 20 but I'm afraid the cats might take them

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Exactly, Tyler needs to break that barrier

spvol writes:

in response to BluezVol:

You nailed it.

frblalack writes:

It appears to me that quite a few posters seem to think Miss. State will be a cakewalk...NOT SO!

State will try to run the ball down our throats & this year they have a quarterback. We will have to play our best to win this game. I personally think we could run the table IF we can beat State. I'm not sure that State isn't a better team than South Carolina. Our run defense & corner/safety play have to improve dramatically for us to win. I know we have the Coaches in place; we just need max effort from the players. No, you can't coach speed but you can sure coach tackling. Brent Brewer can flat-out tackle so let's concentrate on teaching Byron Moore technique or put new players in the backfield. I'm interested in seeing McNeill play. The absence of Brian Randolph was most notable in the Georgia game.

On another note our linebacker play hasn't been up to the Tennessee standard against the SEC. I honestly believe Curt's injury has reduced his effectiveness significantly, and Jacquies Smith's still learning the OLB position. I think we should play Willie Bohannon & Channing Fugate more as the other guys heal and learn. Was great to see Corey Miller getting back in the groove, now if we can just get our d-ends to contain. And let's hope our OLB's respond appropriately.

Kudos to a great O-line & Rajon Neal! Now let's get our outstanding receivers to catch the ball. It appears the most sure-handed receivers have been Z Rogers and ? Justin & Cordarelle have to catch the ball better. Period. Their enormous collective talent cannot be matched by any other SEC team, let's capitalize Tyler. Let's run the table, Vols! We can do it!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - Believe in the Big Orange!

wallingdad writes:

in response to BluezVol:

not true. people at the beginning of the season said 9-3 or better with a sure win over Florida who was rebuilding and had an absolute failure for a coach in Muschamp. well now that reality is sinking in those numbers get downsized. same thing happened last year and will happen again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that......

CCLC writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Goodness do your homework. Georgia has the number one rushing team in the SEC. The pretend dogs are at 7 one step on the ladder above UT. Georgia has the number 1,3,7 backs in the SEC and the number one qb. Gurley ran track in HS and has state records in NC . Ain't no rb on Missy State faster than Mr. Gurley. On the other hand the Georgia D has been a huge disappointment. Thank goodness our good SEC brethren to the north pointed that out last Saturday so we can adjust and get ready for some chicken pluckin' this Saturday night.
just sayin'