Peyton Manning, Penny Hardaway joining prospective Grizzlies ownership group

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning (18) looks for an open receiver against the Atlanta Falcons during the first half of an NFL football game, Monday, Sept. 17, 2012, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

MEMPHIS - Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning and Memphis basketball legend Penny Hardaway have agreed to become limited partners in Robert Pera’s bid to buy the Grizzlies, a source close to Pera said Thursday.

Pera, whose purchase of the team from Michael Heisley is being vetted by the NBA, has assembled a group with both star power and local ties, including recent additions such as pop star and actor Justin Timberlake and former congressman Harold Ford Jr. The group also includes AutoZone founder J.R. "Pitt" Hyde and financier Staley Cates, who were limited partners under Heisley. Edward Dobbs, Duncan Williams and Billy Orgel also have agreed to be local partners.

Manning is a former University of Tennessee standout and Hardaway starred at the University of Memphis and in the NBA.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Smart move by Robert Pera.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

No, but a core group of R. Gay, Z. Randolph, and M. Gasol returning off of two playoff appearances and a franchise record winning percentage do make a winning team. It also doesn't hurt to have Peyton and JT attending the games.

You can hate while the Grizz make another playoff run.
Go Vols! Go Grizz!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Guess he won't be UT's next coach after all. LOL

born2ride writes:

Peyton should have been a Titan.

Bigger_Al writes:

Narrowly won out over Travis Henry and William Bedford.

huntined#565710 writes:

Heard a long time ago if you are rich don't do 3 things and you will not go broke
1 BUY A RACE HORSE
2 BUY A SPORTS TEAM
3 BUY A RACE CAR TEAM

JSamson7 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Guess he won't be UT's next coach after all. LOL

Wazzup mayne! Long time no see, but as far as Peyton & crew I wouldn't mind them at all them helping the home state Grizz improve their spot in the Western Conference elite if they can do it.

I'm "sick-wit-it" playing w/ them on XBOX, but it's gonna tough as "H-E-Double Hockey Sticks" for them to get by OKC, the Spurs, & the two LA teams standing in their way...

Colliervol writes:

From what I hear, some of these minority "shares" don't amount to much money so I don't think it's a big deal financially. Mostly publicity to have Peyton, J. Timberlake and Penny on the ownership team. Also helps when it comes to league approval. Pera is a young fellow and not real well known.

huntined#565710 writes:

I read somewhere his wife was the one buying in and Peyton will support her..

papavol writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

I read somewhere his wife was the one buying in and Peyton will support her..

So in other words... Peyton's buying. but i do understand what you're saying here.

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to papavol:

What I am saying is his wife Ashley is the one buying in...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Very true, the bottom line is: The Grizz will always play second fiddle to the taggers in Memphis. Sellouts will only occur when the Lakers come to town or Mrs. Winners gives away free chicken biscuits..The owners from Vancouver picked the worst sports town in America to relocate to, stupid decision.

jcalhoun4 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Actually the Grizzlies had multiple sellouts last year including every home game in the playoffs. The team has become very profitable to the city in regards to tax revenue and jobs created.

I was just waiting for somebody to take a shot at Memphis on this post. Gotta ask a question though:

Why do we all have to hate each other? Can't we all be proud of representing the state as a whole. You call Memphis the worst sports town in America, but the Grizzlies have lasted here for 12 years and won't be leaving for at least another 15. Why do you have to take a shot at the city and not support and embrace it as part of the state.

I'm a Memphian and I embrace the whole state as a vols, titans, and grizzlies fan.

clvolfan writes:

It was interesting that the author of this article thought it necessary to end it by reminding us that Manning is a former standout for the University of Tennessee.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to jcalhoun4:

Okay, the Southmen (Grizzlies), Rogues, Americans,No-Showboats, Pharaohs, Chicks, Riverkings and Redbirds have all had bad attendance (not to mention the tigers football and the grizz for the most part). I never said I hated the grizz (though I'm a die-hard Celtic fan) Memphian's can't come to grip with the fact there are not enough employed middle-upper income families to support a major sports franchise..And I have not only lived in Memphis I played football there in the early 80's.

jcalhoun4 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

While the Grizzlies attendance was in the bottom half last year, it still was better than 13 other teams, including the Wizards (who are a bigger market), the Pacers (who had a better team and a bigger market), and the Hawks (who had a better team and way bigger market). Memphis is a small market metropolitan wise and still holds its own as a major league sports town. Also, the Redbirds have been in the top half of all AAA teams in attendance ever since they began play in Memphis in 1998 and Autozone opened in 2000. Please get your facts together before you attack a city that has contributed greatly to the culture of Tennessee.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to jcalhoun4:

Funny you should twist the facts about the Redbirds..While in Louisville they drew 1 million per season on average, but since relocating to Memphis their attendance is about 1/3 of that per season..I would bet the owners are kicking themselves for making that move..

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to jcalhoun4:

I agree with you man. It would be a much nicer place if we could all just co-exist without being bitter with one another. Bipolar Bear just wants to argue and gripe. After reading the remainder of his post, it brings to light a quote I heard about one of my former co-workers.
"Arguing with him is like wrestling a pig in mud, after a while, you realize they kind of like it."

Go Vols, Go Grizz, and Go Titans!

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

ColdNose, just wanted to let you know that I'm watching a bunch of polar bears while on commerical break from the Utah/USC game, and they just kind of reminded me of you.

Sup?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

Sup?

Beautiful animals if I do say so myself..Wasssup with yo-self?

jcalhoun4 writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

Go Vols, Go Grizz, and Go Titans!

Thank you. We got to promote unity across the state.

jcalhoun4 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

What are you talking about? The Memphis Redbirds were an expansion team, and their only relation to the Louisville Redbirds was both being farm teams of the Cardinals. But the Louisville Redbirds folded with the American Association and the Memphis Redbirds were under completely different management.

BTW, the Louisville Cardinals played in a stadium nearly 3 times the size of Autozone Park from 1982 to 1997 as well, shattering all minor league attendance records. That's hardly an indictment of Memphians' support for the Redbirds.

volcam writes:

The Grizz are good for Memphis and for the state of Tennessee. Pera is assembling quite an impressive ownership team. FedEx Forum is a superb facility in a revitalized downtown Memphis. This is truly a win-win deal for everyone involved.

Colliervol writes:

Slowly but surely, the Grizzlies are developing a following down here. Not as popular as the Tiggers yet but they are gaining ground. Attendance is getting better and will continue as long as they put a competitive team on the floor. Actually, I think the Grizzlies now get more activity on local sports radio talk than the Tiggers do. At least that's what I hear when I listen.

One last note on the Peyton participation. Actually, it's his wife's name on the paperwork so it's going to be her toy. (She's from Memphis you know.)

Share your thoughts