Alabama-Tennessee one of three games CBS considering for 3:30 slot on 20th

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel

Photo by Adam Brimer

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel Tennessee coach Derek Dooley, left, shakes hands with Alabama coach Nick Saban after the Vols' 41-10 loss to the Crimson Tide last year at Neyland Stadium.

Is Mississippi State a top-20 caliber team?

See the results »

View previous polls »

CBS announced on Monday that it was using one of its six-day options for the Saturday, Oct. 20 games, with No. 1 Alabama's visit to Tennessee, South Carolina at Florida and LSU at Texas A&M all being considered for the premier 3:30 p.m. slot (on WVLT in Knoxville). ESPN will broadcast the two games not picked up by CBS, with one slated to start at noon and the other kicking off sometime between 7-7:45 p.m.

The network has through this weekend to make that decision.

In other televised games that week, Auburn at Vanderbilt will be a 12:21 p.m. kickoff on WVLT, with Georgia at Kentucky and MTSU at Mississippi State both kicking off at 7 p.m. ESPN2, ESPNU or FSTN will broadcast those final two, with a decision being made after Saturday's games.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

OrangePride writes:

From a national interest point of view, unless something big happens this weekend, I don't see how CBS passes on the South Carolina-Florida matchup. Frankly, the Tennessee-Alabama game has not been competitive enough to make it the markee game it once was........but can the Vols change that and be competitive this year? Ohhhhhhhh, how I hope that's the case! GO VOLS!

kyvol98 writes:

Agree OrangePride. If you watch a CBS game, set aside 5 plus hours to do so.....

lomas98 writes:

Is CBS waiting on result of sc-lsu? Does that mean if lsu wins they are going to pick them vs txa&m? Doesn't make much sense. Fl-south Carolina will determine the east leader no matter what happens this weekend so not sure why CBS doesn't pick the game so the others can be scheduled. I hate it when the tv networks keep folks hanging on to decide times.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Golly. Any UT fan's gonna want to see UT even if we get stomped. I know I'll watch the first half at least.lol

I'd love to see S.Car. beat it's old school...Spurier beat his old school that is.

Miss.St of course may be the deciding factor. I mean what if UT does upset Alabama and CBS doesn't pick that game. BIG mistake. But who wouldn't want the Gatorz to lose on national TV?? Good game as well. The chance CBS has to take for UT would be that UT shows up. And shows up well. I personally don't see this as a hard decision for CBS. What have THEY got to lose either way, really?

Biggie writes:

I'd rather see it on ESPN. CBS doesn't do HiDef

brod writes:

will need some beers to get through this one.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

what do you all think?

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

I think they show uf vs sc

JonGrudensAgent writes:

Why on Earth would they Consider the Vols and Alabama?

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

It probably will be UF vs SC. Otherwise, I'd say it depends on whether CBS thinks there's ANY chance WHATSOEVER that UT can beat BAMA. Because you want to be there when #1 gets knocked off by an unranked opponent.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

Why on Earth would they Consider the Vols and Alabama?

<Snort, laugh> the screen-name.

volnvette03 writes:

in response to kyvol98:

I also bee-itch at CBS for those loong and frequent tv time outs. However, after being at the Georgia game, I saw where it helped our team have more rest time in between series. Especially the defense. Now, if we can get CBS to extend it even longer, we may have time for the team to watch film on the sidelines as well!!

SevenT writes:

The crowd that shows up for this game will look like a home Alabama crowd. The crowd will yell "Roll Tide" on the first kickoff and will sing "Sweet Home Alabama" at the end of the Fourth quarter when the third string is playing.

Alabama 50
Tennessee 7

8ball writes:

in response to SevenT:

Alabama 50
Tennessee 7

AUBURN 28 ala 27

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SevenT:

Alabama 50
Tennessee 7

We know that that score could be predicted for any team Bama will play this year. 'cept the NC.

Oh St. 51 Bama 7

dvols writes:

Ha, the only significant game for Bammer this year will be the NC,

Mizzu loses starting QB for bama! geeeeez

Bammers got to be pizzed to have the 1,546 strength of schedule!

Its cause dey so darn good

murrayvol writes:

in response to kyvol98:

w/o a doubt. And if you're taping double down on the 30 min. extended time.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Biggie:

I'd rather see it on ESPN. CBS doesn't do HiDef

They do in Western KY.

murrayvol writes:

Best beat MSU or this discussion is moot.

TooDlems writes:

Pawlll this is Pat DIEEEEE.. Awwbun is a yoong phutbawwwl teme.. I''''l call u at forthiry 2moro

pcorange writes:

in response to SevenT:

Alabama 50
Tennessee 7

As bad as it hurts to admit it, you are right about the Alabama home crowd at Neyland. After UT quit against Florida, I don't see many UT fans wasting their time and money on a team that quit on us last time we packed the stadium for them. Call me a fair weather fan if you wish, but it costs me a cool grand every time I take my family to a game and I work too hard for my money to waste it on a team that won't give it their all for four quarters. I seriously doubt I'm the only UT fan that feels that way. I'd say it will be 50-50 UT and Bama fans at Neyland. I hope UT makes a game of it, though. I think we'll put up more than 7 points on you.

TooDlems writes:

Heck it's getting to the point where it ain't no fun whipping Tennessee anymore.

TKO writes:

This will be an ESPN 7pm est. Spot. Just as well. My ears cam.no.longer take Lundquist

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to TKO:

Vern doesn't really bother me, But Gary Danielson has to be the worst. He gushes over Florida and Alabama, and he can't get the players names right, nor the proper down.
"Pig" Howard caught a pass, and he called him Zach Rogers. Tennessee ran five yards on 1st and Ten, and he said it was a first down.

I don't know how either one of them keeps their job.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

Please make a decision, so I can come up with an acceptable excuse to call in work.

I was gonna tell em I had a fractured hip but...

I'm running out of stuff. Any suggestions?

BigOrangeFreak writes:

Personally, I'd rather we played them at night.

For some reason we look better at night than we do in broad daylight.

Also, I dig the Lundquist/Danielson commentary, but with the timeslot if we get hammered (somewhat likely) there will be a helluva lot more people watching.

I just prefer going to night games at Neyland too.