'Hip issue' slows Derek Dooley

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley talks to Tyler Bray (8) as he comes off the field during first half action against Akron Saturday, Sep. 22, 2012.

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Dooley talks personnel leading up to Mississippi State game

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley walked gingerly at practice this morning slowed by a “little hip issue.”

“I’m not moving around as well as I normally do,” Dooley said. “I’ll keep updated on it.”

Dooley should still be pacing the sidelines when the Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) play at Mississippi State (5-0, 2-0) on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.)

Tennessee’s last game was a 51-44 loss to Georgia that ended with turnovers on three consecutive possessions by quarterback Tyler Bray.

Bray was in a jovial mood Tuesday. Just before interviews he switched jerseys with receiver Zach Rogers and donned Rogers’ skullcap.

“Tyler's biggest thing is managing the game all the way through,” Dooley said. “He has shown a lot of progress.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

opvol writes:

First one!! Go Vols...Miss State could I mean will define our season and a 99% percent chance it will define who may or may not be on the sidelines next season!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to opvol:

It will be Dooley. We will only lose one more game this year. But either way Dooley will finish his contract with UT.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Good sign. Coaches who wake up with hip problems have an all-time record of 79-3 the next game.

OK, totally made that up. Just play to win, and you'll win. GBO!!

wallingdad writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

not sure about losing only one more game but it does seem logical that Dooley will be here for his entire contract. too much money to be lost by the athletic dept otherwise.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to wallingdad:

Yes even 8-4 is a stretch. But I have to at least give UT the toss-up edge. And I so want us to beat Bama. The older one gets the more important the Dreams.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

I think 8-4 is very much possible. Remember that with a better defense we're undefeated!! But we don't got a better D!!

Bama is a loss with always Possible upset in mind. S Car is more defensive which was the case with Florida. I hope we've improved on both sides of the ball. SOOOO 9-3 is still a chance however slim. 10-2 a gift.

We gotta stay positive and sound ridiculous in order to out weigh the negative posters.

UT 34-MS 17

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

OK, totally made that up. Just play to win, and you'll win. GBO!!

Hey I believe...but I also know the feel of a sore hip. I hope it doesn't distract.

StoneJackBaller writes:

Let's hope is arse don't hurt after Saturday...

stovepipedrinker writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

OK, totally made that up. Just play to win, and you'll win. GBO!!

Did you know that 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

VolinCalif writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

UT 34-MS 17

Agree

thevoice writes:

in response to stovepipedrinker:

Did you know that 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

Right. And 93% (97% of GVX) of all stats are believed when posted online .

DonK37920 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

UT 34-MS 17

If we win the bowl game in that scenario we will be 9-4! If we don't have a mass exodus of people leaving early for the draft, we could be ranked going into next year!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

UT 34-MS 17

Not sure about the score. We haven't been able to hold ANYBODY to 17 points except GA ST (13).

bigorangesux writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

A true case of "California Dreamin'"

stovepipedrinker writes:

in response to thevoice:

Right. And 93% (97% of GVX) of all stats are believed when posted online .

If you read it on the internet it MUST be true.

CincyOhVol writes:

Dooley's doctor said that he suffers from a condition known as "buttkickitis" and if he keeps getting his butt kicked by sub-par teams his condition will only get worse.

TrouserCough writes:

Progress, now we're talking progress

Classof72 writes:

I will be very pleasantly surprised if our defense plays well and soundly against MSU. I hurt for our defensive players and coaches to see the defensive busts, lack of speed and poor execution. They try very hard.

The offense could bail us out if Bray avoids turnovers and the receivers catch the ball.

As long as the Vols play hard and don't quit, we can be proud of them. There's enough room for improvement that they could get to be pretty good. The lack of speed in the secondary is the hardest thing to fix. Anyway, they're the best team we got, so GO VOLS!

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Wanting to beat Bama...man can I ever relate to that!! Actually in my opinion I think we have a better chance of upseting Bama at home, than we do beating Carolina on the road. Those gamecocks look awesome!

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Tell me about it. I'm in the autumn of my life too.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to KremsersWaywardWallop:

Get your orange pants here Jeffro. http://buyorangepants.com/products/or...

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to opvol:

I dont tink so. The defining game will be MIZZO.

One word on Tyler Bray he has yet to lead THE VOLS to victory over a superior, or what the media thinks is surperior, team. Leaving for the NFL after this year would not be a good idea unless things change and I hope they do.

Good Luck Coach Dooley with the hip issues.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to wallingdad:

They will even give him a five year extension if Neyland is 3/4 full. Wonder what would happen if it went down to 1/2 full. I suspect he would just get one more year. So his full four years.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Looking more like 10-2 this year. I feel it in my bones.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

You clowns are a riot with all this talk of 10-2, 9-3, 8-4.

7-5 at best. Enjoy Nashville. Then again, there's always Shreveport.:)

EIGHT

(nine will be fine)

PS - Yes. I am a troll. Deal with it.

gillblog writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

OK, totally made that up. Just play to win, and you'll win. GBO!!

Absolutely an excellent Joe Morgan-type statistic. You should have stayed with it....
perhaps adding somemore JM; for coaches who have had at least three in-division games beginning after 8pm ET in the month of October in their careers and less than 2 non-conference road losses up to that game. AND, with a stationary cold-front at least 200 miles away !

UTVolWarrior98 writes:

I cant believe how low our fanbase has stooped! " Well, this is the best team we have". Are you kidding me? Why do our fans constantly coddle and make excuses for this team and coaching staff's shortcomings?!! THIS IS THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE...A TOP 10 PROGRAM OF ALL-TIME...ACT LIKE IT!!! It just baffles me how many of our fans keep putting up with mediocrity and Doolittles antics..its pathetic!! I know you are trying to be optomistic and look at the bright side of things. But, lets face it, we are BEGGING for a win against MSU.....MSU!!! As one of the harsher UT alums that is not afraid to criticize when its deserved, Ive always thought our fanbase was softer than charmin..just terrible. If you criticize this team or staff anymore, you are considered a "bandwagon UT fan". Are you freakin serious?!! I guarantee Ive been to more TN games (home and away) and spent more money on this team than most posters on here!

THE POINT HERE IS DEMAND MORE FROM THIS TEAM AND THE COACHING STAFF...YOU DESERVE IT!!

NGage writes:

What a great article!
Dooley has hip issue, walking gingerly.

Maybe I should go to the KNS front page for other stories like this:

"Building catches fire. It burns down."

Love articles with no real details.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

You clowns are a riot with all this talk of 10-2, 9-3, 8-4.

7-5 at best. Enjoy Nashville. Then again, there's always Shreveport.:)

EIGHT

(nine will be fine)

PS - Yes. I am a troll. Deal with it.

Get out of here you bitter old man...We will be 10-2 so smoke that in your troll pipe. Just wait it starts Saturday. VOLS 42 State 14

BigBadVol writes:

Why do you people keep responding to trolls? What's the point?

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

You clowns are a riot with all this talk of 10-2, 9-3, 8-4.

7-5 at best. Enjoy Nashville. Then again, there's always Shreveport.:)

EIGHT

(nine will be fine)

PS - Yes. I am a troll. Deal with it.

What AholeOfTheEast really said:

blah blah blah LOOK AT ME blah blah blah HEY EVERYONE OVER HERE blah blah blah I AM A POS TROLL blah blah blah I DEMAND ATTENTION blah blah blah

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to snuffysmiff:

Get your orange pants here Jeffro. http://buyorangepants.com/products/or...

snuffy....Flowers needs a dress not pants.

6972 writes:

in response to NGage:

What a great article!
Dooley has hip issue, walking gingerly.

Maybe I should go to the KNS front page for other stories like this:

"Building catches fire. It burns down."

Love articles with no real details.

And in an article yesterday, we got an arrest report. In case you missed it, there was none.
That real information. Tommorrow we get a report on how many of the team is dating. Can't wait.

6972 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Looking more like 10-2 this year. I feel it in my bones.

I love the Vols as much as anyone and have since 69. I also love your optimism. But, 10-2 thisyear.....you might want to feel those bones again. An orthopedic doc can double check those bones for you. Go Vols, kick booty.

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

You clowns are a riot with all this talk of 10-2, 9-3, 8-4.

7-5 at best. Enjoy Nashville. Then again, there's always Shreveport.:)

EIGHT

(nine will be fine)

PS - Yes. I am a troll. Deal with it.

you are more than a troll! nuf said!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to bigorangesux:

A true case of "California Dreamin'"

Well young one.
Dreaming is a very real method of planing, and absolutely necessary for having hope at anything. If you hang around long enough you will begin to understand .

Ironcity writes:

in response to UTVolWarrior98:

No matter what I think of the coaching staff I will root for this team to win. Just because we are down doesn't mean I will not enjoy a victory against a non top ten program.

We can't live in the past so stop trying. We have to trudge threw the mud before we can get to the other side. Is Dooley the guy? I will let others who are paid big bucks figure that out. In the meantime I will always root for my team no matter who they play and cherish any victories we get.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to 6972:

Well I always start the week down but I'm drinking my orange juice and fired. VOLS 42 State 14
Tyler gets 21 in 4th qtr

6972 writes:

Just read an interesting article on ESPN site about coaches on the hot seat. Chizek was discussed...won a championship 2 years ago and now fans with a 1-4 record this year are wanting his scalp. Pat Dye said in an interview Chizek would be back next year and Petrino would never be hired. HHMMM? Article also said Saban was not recruiting talent, he was selecting them. Seems like quality players are kicking down the doors to play for the Bamaers. Sorry this was off topic but I thought it was interesting. Go Vols.

exlineman writes:

Future Vol players, please ignore most of the negative comments on this site, we are trying to rebuild a program and it takes time and patience. We had a coach here for 16 yrs. with the highest expense account in the nation and couldn't recruit or coach his last 5 yrs on the payroll as a coach, who loves to throw his record around. He could beat the low tiered teams like uk and vanderbilt, but had no clue for the Alabama's, Florida's, Lsu's and major bowl games. He was shifty enough to still stay on the payroll and other schools are knocking the doors down to hire this legend in his own mind and a few disgruntled ex vol fans, so they say. Go big ORANGE.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 6972:

I think your post is very relevant..Half of these anti-vol posters are clamoring for CDD's head on every article. It does prove that UT must have really put a an arse whoopin' on their team for them to be so insistent on CDD's job status. Chizik, unable to coordinate booster payouts and buy another prodigy like Sham Newton, is now facing the firing squad as well.GBO!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to exlineman:

Agree 100 percent. If Steve can do it at SC then no reason we cant get it done in Tennessee

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

I never get the score right in football. Too many things going on for my noggin'.

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to stovepipedrinker:

Did you know that 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

And I believe 0% of them.

I think we take care of business this weekend and play well against Alabama. Remember, we were tied with them last year at halftime at Bama and they had a better team. Still probably no shot at beating them, but you never know. South Carolina will be tough too, but possible. The rest of the games will be a disappointment if we do not win them.

GBO VFL!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

You clowns are a riot with all this talk of 10-2, 9-3, 8-4.

7-5 at best. Enjoy Nashville. Then again, there's always Shreveport.:)

EIGHT

(nine will be fine)

PS - Yes. I am a troll. Deal with it.

OK I hit the removal button like you asked. I really didn't mind your comment though.

99gator writes:

despite his hip issue, dooley still is able to jog past teague in a 40 yard dash

Scoon writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Just a very quick check here today only to discover this very astute observation as stated from the Head Coach Cal pertaining to Thanksgiving weekend, 2012.

Coach Cal, you are absolutely right in that UT will lose at least one more game this season and that is going to be the game with KY at the end of the season. The 'Special' on the menu being served that day is going to be oyster dressing, cajun style ... so, Ole Smokey, get your chops ready.

Scooner

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Scoon:

Scooner

Sounds like a good meal to me Scoon. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Ky win again. but don't really think it will happen. I think that Joker will be coaching his last game at Ky. You will have that lover boy from Ark as your next coach. I think he will walk the Dog (Doughnuts) on the football field with his bike and that dog will not be Smokey. Look for a pretty good season next year.

UTVolWarrior98 writes:

Exlineman, get over your "self-righteous" attitude for god's sakes...its sickening! "Well, anybody knows it takes 3-4 years...blah blah blah. Stope trying to compare a hall of fame legendary coach to the one WE have!! Its ridiculous! The difference is that guy named Steve Spurrier has been there and done that over and over again. What has Doolittle done in his career?? I hate Spurrier with a passion, but you cant deny his overall success. Dooley has NO success, so what makes you think he can turn this big orange mess around? HE CANT EVEN FAH QING MAKE 2ND HALF ADJUSTMENTS!!!! Quit coddling this team and the coaching staff. Im sorry, I like Dooley as a man. He has great character and represents UT professionally. But, he is just not an SEC caliber coach. You know it...I know it.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to 99gator:

Well I wondered why he appeared so subdued on the sideline during the Dawg game. Full of pain pills?