Derek Dooley at practice in a golf cart

(MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Tennessee Volunteers head coach Derek Dooley arrived for practice Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012 in a golf cart with his crutches riding in the back. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Is Mississippi State a top-20 caliber team?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Head Coach Derek Dooley wheeled into Tennessee's football practice on a golf cart Thursday morning at Haslam Field, less than 48 hours after undergoing hip surgery.

Dooley underwent surgery Tuesday afternoon to repair a fractured hip.

He missed Wednesday's practice but was able to cart himself around the practice field Thursday.

Dooley will coach Vols from the press box coaching booth Saturday night at Mississippi State.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Velo_Vol writes:

Pics?

CoverOrange writes:

Tuesday afternoon + 24 hours = Thursday morning?

VolinCalif writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Tuesday afternoon + 24 hours = Thursday morning?

Picky Picky don't you know new math?

Olddogsrule writes:

For Derek Dooley's sake, I hope and pray he dosen't aggravate tbe injury through his work ethic. Everyone should applaud his dedication and the Volunteers respond by playing their most complete game of the year to 'Win one for Dooley".
GO VOLS! GO DOOLEY! GO SEC!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Take it easy there Dooley. Heal up quickly.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

GO VOLS! GO DOOLEY! GO SEC!

O'dog
I have to correct you. You know what a correction freak is don't you?
It is "GO VOLS! GO DOOLEY! GO SEC E!!"

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

Get well soon coach. I hope this team comes together in a complete way and all Big Orange fans see a performance that gives us a gigantic win.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

GO VOLS! GO DOOLEY! GO SEC!

LMAO!!! what planet are you from???

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

Can he use the golf cart on the sidelines? lol

Rumblefish writes:

in response to Big_Orange_Aide:

Mississippi State is a "gigantic win"????

You are doing the university a disservice by supporting lowered expectations.

Snapshot writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Picky Picky don't you know new math?

The article said he was at practice Thursday, less than 48 hours after surgery on Tuesday.

Why is that confusing for you?

Snapshot writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Picky Picky don't you know new math?

Sorry, I meant to respond to CoverOrange.

OrangePsyched writes:

Nothing heals like a good win in Starkville. It's going to be a long Saturday waiting for the game to begin.

TheFuj writes:

Dooley is still faster in the golf cart than our DB's.

brokendownoldvol writes:

He must have a high tolerance for pain.

laraccoon writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

i hear you , normally when games are 9 pm i would be so hammered i would be lucky to find the TV . just so happens i have to be in Atlanta saturday afternoon so things should work out fine .get well Dooley and GBO !

abnerPeabody writes:

You sure have a lot to be proud of.Keep bragging friend.You are certain to succeed.You don't need to get hammered,you need to be hammered.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Miss. State is good but if the Vols can put together a complete game for 60 minutes, they can win. We are waiting to see that, on the road, against a top 25 team, and an SEC opponent other than those ones I will not name. GO BIG ORANGE, Bring this one home! It is time to show up and stay up(just as fans will have to do to see the outcome)!

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to KremsersWaywardWallop:

And, you're still an idiot.

VolzsFan writes:

Night game in Starkville. After the UT player's bed time. Cow bells, top ranked team, drugged up coach, NFL DBs. Going to be a long long night!!!!

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I am excited too! Go Vols!

15_counting writes:

I'm not a Vol fan but you have to admire his effort. I doubt if anyone on here (myself included) would be back at work today were it one of us who had surgery.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to TheFuj:

Dooley is still faster in the golf cart than our DB's.

Ouch!

laraccoon writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

i realize your bitterness is the by-product of being a 60 year old virgin but hey , i try not to judge !

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Dang right, VOLS 42 COWS 11 Dooley will be sooooo high he will get this one 100 percent correct. General Neyland will be proud

gerwmor writes:

in response to RockyTopUT:

Well said. And a good enough group of players to beat Florida State, just not UT. I am not happy with where our program is any more than the rest of the Vol faithful, but it is a lot closer to being back than the trolls are willing to admit.

Shake_Bake writes:

If we win the game, do you think Dooley should just stay upstairs in the coaches box for all the games, ...instead of being on the sidelines?

Hey if we can find something that works, then why change the formula? Know what I mean...

lemme_axya_this writes:

The last day of camp at Milligan,(about two months ago?) coach said "I need to see my wife." Now we find out that he broke his hip about two months ago.

Derek Dooley is the man.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to KremsersWaywardWallop:

Since CDD's surgery appears to be successful, your proctology exam is next on the list. You appear to have a terminal case of your head stuck up your butt.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to gerwmor:

Just b/c some folks are unhappy with the 4-14 progress does not make one a troll.

So please tell me...since this year is basically a bust, what happens next year when Hunter (definitely), Bray (probably), and CP (slim chance given his #'s and lack of touches for a few games) leave for the draft??

Is Worley going to step in and all of a sudden show that he cannot stare down one receiver? Alton Howard going to miraculously be the "go to" receiver?

Just being realistic here. Next year is going to be TOUGH. Especially with FL and AL on the road.

West10Vol writes:

Coach, it is great to see you at practice already, be careful and don't aggrevate the healing process, but you might pull out the 1 wood and drive a winning attitude into the Vols!

WoodbineVOL writes:

Get well and Get back on the field soon!

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to 15_counting:

I'd be back if I had THAT job.

Might take a couple weeks off of my current one though.

WoodbineVOL writes:

Your really a HIP guy. Hurry back!

govolsn3 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Every year in the SEC is tough. That is what makes College Football so exciting. Every year you need someone different to step up and be the man at their position. I really do not look at the wins and losses this year to measure what COCAH DOOLEY does, I am more tuned into the recruiting that he puts together. Look what GEORGIA has on the field in their freshman class, and always FLORIDA and ALABAMA. If COACH DOOLEY can get more speed on defense and two fast backs than WORLEY or whoever gets the start next year will be just fine. The quarterback position is looked at in my opinion too much anyways, BRAY didn't give up 51 in Athens. I think this years class of freshman playing is looking good and another good one just adds more depth. GO VOLS>>>VFL

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Three wins, two losses, both to highly ranked teams, and the season is a bust? I have never used the word troll on here so I'll just say you are a quitter. I hope you don't give up on your family and friends as easily.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Derek Dooley is the man.

She couldn't resist those Big Orange Britches.

Rumblefish writes:

You know what would be good for next year? Bringing back David Cutcliffe. Yeah...I said it. He's 5-1...and if he can win at Duke with the student athletes that he is relegated to working with....he can win here. Oh wait...he DID.

I don't think he came 2 years ago b/c of the timing of kiffin and Hamilton still being here. All that's changed now.

BRING BACK CUTCLIFFE!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Just finished reading about the coach and the usual comments, Vol fans and trolls.

A salute to you who back the Vols.

Now, for the troll scoreboard. IMO, here's the familiar list of whiners, gripers, and oh yes..........trolls.

Remember when
Rumble tumble perch
Jeff, the roadside bomber
The Fuj
Volszfan
JBVols1698
Longrod

Does this sorry list sound familiar????????

gglardon50#417841 writes:

Dooley is the best coach in the SEC, hip replacement and he is still out there. Tennessee wins Sat then again next week and we are back in it. South Car and Florida both lose their next 3 games ,we win out we are champs-well wait Georgia. I forgot Georgia. They have to lose 4 but it could happen. Your see Dooley will be coach of the year and get 4 more years. Go Vols

Rumblefish writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Ain't a quitter. Sorry friend...you missed on that swing.

I gave Dooley his chance to show progress. He has showed NONE.

Do you realize we are currently being out-recruited by Vandy??? I know the recruiting season is far from over, but seriously....Tenn should NEVER be out-recruited by Vandy. Ever.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Well said, Rumble.

I'm more than pleased with Dooley as an individual and positive role model for these guys but the fact is he was hired to coach and win in the toughest conference in the country.

We should not lower our standards to the coaching ability of someone just because they are "likable."

I'd rather have someone who is tough on the players when needed, who represents the university with integrity, and who WINS FOOTBALL GAMES.

And I AM a UT fan. Have been since I knew what a football was.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

LMAO!!! what planet are you from???

ROTFLMAO til I puke!!!
Me? I'm from the planet that recognizes the many, many advantages to the Tennessee football program of having a second generation SEC head coach who grew up eating breakfast and talking football with a Hall of Fame SEC legend for a father, who was smart enough to play college football and get a law degree and pass the bar his first shot, who did assistant coaching with other SEC legends. A coach who took over a failing La. Tech. program and went to a bowl his second year and coached through the adversity of having 22 (count 'em 22) injuries to starters and replacement players his third year, all while also serving as La. Tech's Atheletic Administrator and building a sound base for the success they are having now. A coach in 2-1/2 years has this Volunteer team that was absolutely the most devasted program I have ever heard of back up to playing close games to major SEC rivals, and absolutely is showing cajones to be on the field so soon after major surgery. Who is doing a fine job of rebuilding!
I'm from a planet where fans recognize the value of respecting all that and more. Who understand what it means to football players and coaches to have respect and support especially during hard times, even if some may or may not be able to make it in the SEC. Why? Because that enables them to do better.
Yes, I agree we are from different planets. You are from a dark side world where it's all about how good you feel when a W is tallied and that is all you can see or ever will see. A world where it's all about you and those like you, and how self empowered it makes you feel to be be able to point at the W-L column and howl.
Yes, I absolutely am not from your small world, no bigger than a boxcar, in which your pea size brain rattles around as your half blind eyes look for understanding and acceptance through bravado! ROTFLMAO indeed! You owe me a keyboard! Mines all nasty from laughing at you!

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Gotta disagree with you on this one bro.

He's had AMPLE time to prove his coaching ability. He's not being measured on just the two losses this season to UGA and UF. (So far.)

If the hammer drops on Coach, it will be because he failed to beat ANY ranked teams during a three year stretch at UT.

Another stat that amazed me was this:

Tennessee WAS 177-0 in games where we scored more than 40 points. That is an absolutely incredible record. It points to not only offensive firepower, but defensive consistency.

Many Big 12/Pac 12 teams regularly score more than 40 and still lose, but we had NEVER in more than 100 years of football dropped a game when scoring more than 40 til 10/6/2012 at UGA.

Stats don't lie. As Bill Parcells is fond of saying "You are what your record is."

177-1

0-17 vs ranked teams

And your wrong to call out Rumble on the family thing too.

Just saying...

Rumblefish writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

ROTFLMAO til I puke!!!

B/c the SEC is the same now, as when Vince Dooley was coaching? Oh wait...it's not.

B/c a law degree helps so much in college football head coaching? Oh wait...it doesn't.

B/c the Florida game was close? Oh wait..it wasn't.

B/c we were almost continually down by 2 TD's to UGA almost the whole game? Oh wait...we were.

B/c Dooley had a losing record at La Tech and at UT...Oh wait, he does.

B/c Wins and Losses actually matter when talking about football. Oh wait...they do.

You're pretty idealistic Old Dog. Just not realistic.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to gglardon50#417841:

Medicinal or right off the street?

Must be good, whichever it is.

alabammervol writes:

Careful about medical procedures Coach Dooley....remember Coach Majors and his dilemma!

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to alabammervol:

Defective hearts and arses do not bode well for Tennessee coaches.

pcshowtime writes:

Dooley lovers and Dooley haters should agree that this game tells the tell. We have equal or better talent and depth. Bottom line this is a "no excuse game". I also realize that it is not GA, Fl, SC, or bama. but if Dooley can not win this game he will never beat any of those teams. For me this game decides it all. thoughts?

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Ain't a quitter. Sorry friend...you missed on that swing.

I gave Dooley his chance to show progress. He has showed NONE.

We won't end up being out recruited by Vandy. I have to ask what you were expecting of this team if the season is already a bust?