John Palermo wants Daniel McCullers to play fighting mad

Tennessee defensive line coach John Palermo may have the toughest task on the team each Saturday when he tries to rile up the Vols' gentle giant of a nose guard.

Daniel McCullers, the 6-foot-8, 360-pound junior college transfer, is almost too nice for his own his good.

"It's almost like you want to put him in a boxing ring and let someone take a few jabs at him before the game starts," Palermo said. "He's just a happy-go-lucky guy."

Palermo said McCullers would play a lot against Mississippi State on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.), but probably not much more than he did two weeks ago against Georgia. That was the first game that coaches allowed him to play in nickel packages rather than just run defense.

"He had 40 snaps against Georgia," Palermo said. "I don't know if any of our defensive linemen are capable of going more than 40 or 45 snaps in a game right now. When the weather cools off, I think they will."

***

Tennessee offensive line coach Sam Pittman has spent more than 20 seasons in the college football, but this is his first stint in the SEC.

What sets the league apart? Big, athletic defensive lineman every single week.

"I can't recall facing this many good pass-rushers, and we haven't even played Alabama yet," Pittman said. "It's an incredible league. As an offensive line coach, I had heard that it's a defensive linemen league.

"I thought, 'Sure, they have some good players,' but I had no idea that there would be as much defensive line talent as there is in the SEC. It makes you practice well because you know if you don't, you're going to get your butt kicked on Saturday."

***

Mississippi State uses multiple defensive fronts and tries to confuse offenses with frequent movements, a style that is "in vogue," Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said.

"They do a little bit of everything," Chaney said. "They're going to try to create confusion and play hard and keep the ball in front of them. They do a good job of all of those qualities."

Chaney also praised the Bulldogs' effort and aggressiveness.

"It's hard to find a play where you don't see all those guys flying to the ball," Chaney said. "They play extremely, extremely hard, and we've got to fight fire with fire and play just as hard."

***

UT coach Derek Dooley's signature orange pants won't be viewable from his perch in the press box, and no assistant coach is clamoring to fill the fashion void.

"I can't wear those pants," said Pittman. "I don't know who else would."

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

SQUAWK!! SQUAWK!! 4-14 4-14 TODDY WANT A CRACKER TODDY WANT A CRACKER 4-14 4-14 SQUAWK!! SQUAWK!!

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

Wants him to play fighting mad? How many personal fouls would that give you? He needs to play intense,hard, and disciplined. Not fighting mad.

jobrando#216494 writes:

The big man going to dominate....VOLS 42 the other team 11 > going to end with minus yards rushing

VolGrad writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

They tried that. He lost 27 pounds, but it didn't make him any meaner.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Better beat Mississippi State.

And I think we will.

GO VOLS!!

SummerfieldVol writes:

I don't see how you could not want him in on every play. I know you can't play ever snap, but it would be great if he could play ever snap. He requires alot of double teaming to stop him and that leaves somebody one on one or not blocked at all. The more he plays the better he will be.

CoverOrange writes:

Show him that video of John Henderson psyching himself up before a game.

RIG-VOL-FAN writes:

The D is the difference. Minus a few crazy plays, Florida and Georgia are W's too. I'm calling a winning streak the rest of the year. TN by 2 TD's this week!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Angry? How did you conclude that, Sherlock? One troll defending another...sounds about right.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Toddygirl....when you move out of your mommy's house (LOL) get back to us. Did you get the $5 I sent you to pay you back for your ONLY UT connection....the Power T hat you bought from WallyWorld? Donate the hat to Goodwill and maybe they will give it to a REAL UT fan.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

I would love to see an angry McCullers during the game. Sam Pittman has been very good this year. Our Offensive line is stout and the only time I heard the name Jarvis Jones two weeks ago is when the announcers said, "why havent we said the name Jarvis Jones?" lol

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

That was a LOL moment.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Get mean Cols Defense. You gotta be a little mean to play D!
Go McCullers.
GBO

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Vols not "Cols". I don't type well. It wasn't eve offered when I was in school...I reckon?
Again go Cols...I mean Vols.
Go MR. McCullers.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to RIG-VOL-FAN:

I agree. Plus I think we'll add a couple more TDs for the fun of it 4th quarter after Mullens throws in the towel.

I want so much to predict a good defensive outing? I just can't with confidence. I want to I really do.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Then why are you? Why do you continue defending the indefensible?

Better question is how many extra posts do you 'cause with your rantings? Does KNS pay well...'cause I can change sides. $$money speaks!! Seriously! ok $$ really I don't want tainted money. GBO

GreeneVol writes:

I remember the Vols PR machine publicly challenging Big John Henderson to play with more fire, be more of a vocal leader, etc. back when he was developing & it seemed to work. McCullers is a very promising project.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Show him that video of John Henderson psyching himself up before a game.

Good idea. There seem to be a lot of similarities between him and Big John Henderson in regard to their personalities. Henderson had to really work to get himself fired up to be mean and nasty during the game. When he did, look out.

CrankE writes:

"I can't wear those pants," said Pittman. "I don't know who else would."

_____

Indeed, who else could possibly wear the orange pantalones?

I nominate this as The Official Epitaph for Dooley's time at UT.

TOESANDVOL writes:

I get so tired of negative posters. You dummies we can't just keep starting over. Anyway, most of you Dooley Haters are probably nothing more than little fat boys who have never strapped on a helmet and sit on the couch playing fantasy football and eating Oreos thinking you are an expert.

tovolny writes:

I love the ORANGE PANTS. I sometime wonder, however, how Johnny Majors wore those and people rarely mentioned them. Dooley, for some reason, has made them famous. Imagine what Fulmer would look like in orange pants.

When are they going to announce that Fulmer is going to Arkansas? Chavis will be his DC I hear. Who will be his OC? The web has finally been woven and waiting for the bugs and flies to stop by. Fulmer and the HAWGS...not a bad idea, UH?

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Key to the game... outfit every defenders helmet with a fog machine.... if we do that, we should be fine.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Just think if most guys that huge were as aggressive as most small guys who were too small to play college ball and just got by on knocking the phooey out of people.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to TOESANDVOL:

LOL!! Plus 1 GBO!!

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to CrankE:

"I can't wear those pants," said Pittman. "I don't know who else would."

_____

Indeed, who else could possibly wear the orange pantalones?

I nominate this as The Official Epitaph for Dooley's time at UT.

I guess you are too young to remember when the orange pants were a staple on the sidelines? This is not a Dooley original idea. He is trying to mimic a UT tradition of years gone by. Why don't you try one by supporting our coach and team. GBO!! Whup them Dawgs!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to RIG-VOL-FAN:

Save your 2 TD predictions for another game..I heard all that BS before FLA and GA along with the 42--17 predicts. I think I'll just try to keep it real and hope we get out alive with a win!!

usafvol writes:

in response to TOESANDVOL:

When I read what the trolls post, I picture Beavis & Butthead. About the biggest thing in their lives is getting a little attention. I think they were on the teet too long as babies..

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

"Confuse the offense with movement".Chaney's got that RIGHT!!!Now let's hope he's not just talking about it and actually preparing Bray and the Oline to counter it..Mullen knows he's got no chance if he doesn't disrupt Bray's game and shake his confidence!!States LB's and safetys will probably look like their rears are on fire during pre snap..Best way to counter that is to snap the ball quick instead of standing there looking at the sidelines for 15 seconds..There is no reason not to start every series at a 2 minute drill pace; just takes a little sideline preparation..A really quick pace will totally throw MSU's defense off. Question is does Chaney see that..Answer--NO; can't teach a dumb dog new tricks!!

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

UT 42
MSU 21

kazoo writes:

McCullers seems to be improving--and he seems to have a good attitude. So good for him. That said, if he lost another 20 pounds, he'd probably have to the potential to become really good. I think he's too heavy to be good consistently.

BornTNfan writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

I love my TN Vols...win or loose. You all just see Ws v/s Ls where I see a team of young men who strap on the Orange and White every week and give all they can...and that is all that I can ask for. Yes, I would love more wins and I like the direction this team is going. The wins will come in greater numbers. Wins and losses don't come easy...the only thing that apparently comes easy around here is TN bashing. Quit being a negative nanny and SUPPORT OUR VOLS!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to powerTbaby:

How quaint....shortrod is defending the object of his affection(or should that be infection). I have been watching UT football for a long time you baboon**s. I hate to lose. It makes me sick. But stinking bottom-feeding trolls like YOU make me sicker. You have no life...no hope.... so here you are day after day looking for attention. Whats the matter, is toddygirl playing hard to get? I will be at the Bama game is you would like to call me a sissy to my face, troll.

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Your beloved UT ????? You don't support the coach Dooley ??? You are such a joke !!!!

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to VOLFLIAM:

You're wasting your time. Cowardgrovebilly,flacidrod,Walt,jeffie and others are fans that played a little high school football and thinks that qualifies them to be experts about recruiting,playcalling,staffing and everything else relating to the program. Their problem is they just don't know what they don't know. You won't convince them and they won't convince us. I just enjoy me some Volball and look forward to crushing the bullies dreams for this season. Good guys wear Orange.

CrankE writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

The early Johnny Majors era, right? Seems like UT didn't win many games then either. So in the words of Prince, "tonight we're gonna party like it's 1979!"

The interests of UT and Dooley might be better served if he could start winning-another UT tradition of years gone by.

Look, I want Dooley to succeed because I want UT to succeed.

Now for the hard part; if Dooley is the guy, where's the proof? If Dooley does not make this happen, then his replacement will. At this point, I'm far more concerned about the results than who it is that delivers them.

Dooley has yet another chance to succeed on Saturday. But he's running out of "crucial games" if you know what I mean. Good luck and Go Vols!

brokendownoldvol writes:

I haven't seen a UT player really hit someone since Berry was here. No one who wants to.

VolGrad writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

My guess is that you missed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6bJN8...

...as well a several other "man" plays by AJ Johnson and Curt Maggitt thus far this year.

14th_rated_sec_coach writes:

It's like Paul Ryan said last night in the debate... When you have no record to be proud of you resort to name calling. All the doolusionals know Dooley is a loser so they resort to name calling those of us who want to win..we know mr orange pants is not going to rebuild this program because this was the year and its not happening...now get on the phone to Petrino before Kentucky hires him...

killervol69 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Wish that TROLL collegegrovebilly would get fighting mad and leave my beloved state....TENNESSEE!