UT coach Derek Dooley going to new heights for victory over ranked team

Coach still in search of win against ranked opponent

Charlie Daniel's cartoon for the Vols game against Mississippi State on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012, at Starkville, Miss.

Photo by Charlie Daniel

If Tennessee ends the losing streak against ranked teams that has taunted it for the past three seasons, coach Derek Dooley won't be on the sidelines to receive a celebratory high-five, hug or Gatorade bath.

Dooley will be perched high above the field in the press box of Davis Wade Stadium, smiling at the victory and perhaps grimacing as he tries to move his newly repaired right hip.

The Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) take on No. 19 Mississippi State (5-0, 2-0) today (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.) in Starkville in what might be the most important game of Tennessee's season.

The Vols have lost league games to Florida and Georgia. The next two games on the schedule are against No. 1 Alabama and No. 3 South Carolina.

That leaves today as the best opportunity for Dooley and the Vols to pick up their first victory against a ranked opponent in his three-year tenure and finally retire the recurring questions about that 0-12 mark.

"This is a good opportunity on the road against a good football team that has a lot of swagger right now," Dooley said.

Mississippi State has that swagger thanks to an undefeated start and a rare national ranking. The Bulldogs have won seven games in a row dating back to last year and are off to their best start since 1999.

"I don't care who you play, that's hard to do," Dooley said.

Who the Bulldogs have played, of course, is the asterisk on their undefeated season. Wins against the weakest teams in the SEC (Auburn and Kentucky) and an Championship Subdivision school (Jackson State) are the causes for skepticism.

While the Bulldogs haven't always won those games with flair, they've demonstrated a workmanlike dedication to the intangibles — solid defense, balanced offense, impressive turnover margin.

"They exercise a lot of patience in their game and we need to do the same thing," Dooley said.

The Vols have had two weeks to digest their loss at Georgia. Tennessee's offense kept the game close while the defense was victimized by big plays. In the fourth, Tennessee shut down Georgia's offense, but Vols quarterback Tyler Bray committed three consecutive turnovers.

It was another missed chance to get over the hump that has been so difficult to conquer for the Vols.

"(The team) has never really been uptight or nervous, but there comes a point where we're learning these lessons each week, let's convert them into some wins," Dooley said. "We all know we need to do that."

Dooley has been quietly coaching through pain for most of this season. Last Friday, an MRI revealed that what he thought was a mild hip irritant was actually a fracture. Doctors instructed him to undergo surgery immediately.

Dooley missed Wednesday's practice but watched workouts from a golf cart on Thursday. He plans to watch today's game from the coaches' box, seated next to offensive coordinator Jim Chaney.

"I have no issue with it," Chaney said. "Coach and I have a great relationship. We talk throughout the game all the time. He'll just be sitting right beside me."

Coaches downplayed the significance of Dooley's move upstairs. There will be no administrative changes. Dooley will communicate decisions about timeouts, penalties and challenges to coaches on the field via headset.

"We will manage; we're grown-ups," Chaney said. "I'm sure he will yell at me, I'll yell at him and we'll get right through it and move on with the game. That's what happens. Well, I won't yell at him. He's my boss. You know how that goes."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CoverOrange writes:

Okay, KNS, we get it, hip injury, press box, no change to process. Find some other topic, like how many trolls are in KNS cubes on a Friday night repeatedly posting to GVX.

Scoon writes:

BigBlueMadness is on and the CATS have been rockin the House!!

6'7", 215 lbs., Class of 2012, Clarksville, TN ... Alex Poythress !!

Whatz wrong with you vols? you slipping? (just thought you'd wanna hear that on this fb thread .. lol!!)

jobrando#216494 writes:

I hope the players understand whats at stake.

Scoon writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I hope the players understand whats at stake.

oh, they will but they can't stop BigBlueNation

arkyvol writes:

vegas ain't buyin' it. the bulldogs are a 4 point favorite. if dooley hits seven wins this year, they will be: nc state, ga state, akron, troy, mizzou, vandy, and ky. not one of those coonskins is worth the nail to hang it on the wall. and btw: at least two of those deadbeats are no gimmee's for the dooley-version vols.

Scoon writes:

in response to arkyvol:

Speaking of *********, did you know that TurtleMan is up in the WhiteHouse?

Scoon writes:

Has anybody seen that punk, 'PooBear??

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Scoon:

Has anybody seen that punk, 'PooBear??

Friday night and nothing to do but this. Dang get a life

Scoon writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Friday night and nothing to do but this. Dang get a life

Hey, you seen 'Poo?? And, BigBlueMadness is on .. need I say more? The thing is that we don't know if Nerlins Noel is 6'10" with that hair or without that hair ..

and speaking of gettin a life, yeah, go get one ..

ooltewahorange writes:

Trivia time. Can anyone tell me the last road win excluding Vandy or Kentucky?

rockypop writes:

in response to ooltewahorange:

Trivia time. Can anyone tell me the last road win excluding Vandy or Kentucky?

Sure. It was the last time your sorry a** got run over on a road outside your area of expertise. Next time, move over.

Scoon writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

hey toddytot, you seen 'Poo?

pcshowtime writes:

I can not get any of the dooley gang to respond to this post it is long so I'll put it on two boxes.
This is a must win game in 80% of the vols fans minds. All you guys saying it is not are crazy or either satisfied not being a top program. I have a post I want you dooley guys to read. It is a little long so I will divide up into two posts. I posted it last night but it was late I do not know if anyone seen it. Now if we do not want to be an elite program then fine. We will reside ourselves to playing second tier sec football. I am a vol fan relocated to Alabama so I know what I am talking about in my post well here it is.
Mike Shula
All you dooley guys let me tell you a little story about a coach. This guy took over a team in worse shape than UT when dooley arrived. No coach in the country wanted this job. The former coach had just left for another program and his replacement had been fired in may of 2003 amid a strip club scandal. This coach took over a program May 9, 2003 after sighing day talk about no time to get a staff together. His name was Mike Shula and he was the fourth coach in four years at alabama. The program he took over was in the middle of a 2 year bowl ban. The NCAA also reduced the number of football scholarships the school could award by 21 over three years. Here is his record.
2003 4-9 (2-6 Sec)lost rivalry games UT and Auburn
2004 6-6 (3-5 Sec) lost rivalry games UT and auburn
2005 10-2 (6-2 Sec) beat rival UT loss to Auburn awarded contract extension.
2006 6-7 (4-4 sec) lost rivalry games UT and Auburn
On Nov 26, 2006 one week after losing to Auburn he was fired. Alabama had to pay him a buyout of 4 mil..
continued below.

VolGrad writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

That statement makes no sense. Every coach worth his salt thinks winning that many games in a row is difficult. And they would never say otherwise even if their first seven were against lesser teams.

pcshowtime writes:

continued
There are many parallels in mike shula and dereck dooley. Except when Shula took over alabama in 2003 the program was in worse shape than UT in 2010 and still dealing with probation. No coach wanted this job all alabama had was a ounce great name much like UT. He did a good job he stabilized the program that could have easily went off the deep end. I am a vol fan through through but relocated in alabama in 1988. Alot of the fan base at alabama felt when shula was fired it was wrong. that he took the job when no one wanted it and he just needed more time. They said no coach will come here after the way we treated this man. But you know what you do not do at alabama you do not lose 3 out 4 to UT and you do not lose all 4 game to auburn or you get fired. A lot of people do not remember this but Alabama offered the job to rich rodriguez at West Virginia on Dec 7, 2006. He accepted the job and then decided to turn it down on Dec 8, 2006.
What would bammer be if rich rod would have took the job that is another topic. Alabama then was feeling the pressure to find a coach. I feel this pressure to find a coach made the open up the bank. On January 3, 2007, Nick Saban left the NFL's Miami Dolphins and accepted an offer worth US$32 million guaranteed for eight years to be the next coach. Well the rest is history it was a gamble firing shula there were alot of Alabama fans that thought Shula got a bad deal. It could have ended badly for alabama rich rod could have took the Job. Saban had told them no on many occasions in Dec 2006. However, Alabama did not tolerate mediocrity and the did not take no for an answer. "Thank you coach shula for righting the ship but we will take it from here." Now my point is when someone suggest coaches like Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher ect. it may sound crazy but I guarantee no one thought saban was coming to Alabama either. A lot of the ala fans said there is no way he is coming to alabama until he stepped off the plane. Now out of all those fans that felt bad about mike shula do you think any of them go trade nick saban to have mike shula be there coach again. Dereck dooley has come in and saved this program gave it stability I will give you that. However, he has yet to beat one of his rivals FL or Bama. He also does not have the sec record or record against ranked teams mike shula had. Quit simply baring some miracle by the end of this year Dereck dooley's record and his record against rivals would get him fired at alabama. Do you see the parallels between Tennessee and alabama. I know we do not decide anything here we are just fans but in a way we do. When we stop spending that all mighty dollar the administration listens. This is a must win game in my eyes for Dereck dooley is it a rival no but it will have to do. If he loses then I will express my input with my money spent on UT football program. it is not much but it is my voice. thoughts???

orangecountyvols writes:

Gone With the Wind was shorter than all that above jabbering.............

pcshowtime writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Gone With the Wind was shorter than all that above jabbering.............

go ahead fling your usual insults but no answer I guess you are one of the one content on being a second tier sec program.

Scoon writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Gone With the Wind was shorter than all that above jabbering.............

LMAO!! Man it's dead tonight ... that is post UK

silicon28 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

How many times in the past 30 - 40 years have the Vols won 7 games in a row? Figure that out - then tell us how easy you think it is...

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

continued

pcshow...I think you make strong points...and I agree with most. However - Shula was/is MUCH stronger than Dooley due to experience, upbringing, etc. I do believe that Dooley might make a very good Athletic Director some day...would utilize his J.D. degree - his image - his attention to detail, etc. But none of those strengths translate into being or becoming a great coach. It ain't happenin'.

Rosie writes:

Pcshowtime- of course you're right. And I don't care what he inherited- 0-3 against FL should never be tolerated.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Well by-cracky if WaltNoBalls says Dooley is a failure and not worth his salt, then it must be true. After all, look at how many teams Old Walt has coached to National Championships. Come on, Uncle Walt, tell us all again about how you won the Heisman Trophy and was Rookie-of-the-Year in the NFL. Wow...it must be great to be you and be able to deem a Head Coach totally unworthy. Man I cannot wait til the movie on your life comes out. Who do you think will play you...Ricardo Montalban, Charlton Heston, Phyllis Diller???

WhitePineVol77 writes:

1 game at a time, ladies and gents. Jeeeeeeez
That said, this is a defining game. Bring it all, leave it on the field. Thats all we can ask.

Millisa writes:

Dont look for us to win this game or the rest of them. Fire Dooley ASAP

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Dork

UT '81

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

How old are you? Six?

pcshowtime writes:

To me in the sec if you lose to FL, GA, USC, and bama 3 years in a row you do not deserve to keep your job. Now I know we haven't played bama and Usc. but if we lose those two that is 3 yrs in a row. It gets you fired at FL, lsu, or Bama. Well if we are no longer going to strive to be and sec elite team then I guess we will settle in to being ole miss, vandy or Ky

GerryOP writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Prior to the season, Coach Dooley stated that he saw every game this year was winnable. And your reaction to that statement? Look it up and tell what your reply was.

C'mon pal, as I've told you before. Stop lying and try to be honest.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to bvol1inSC:

I agree.

GerryOP writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

And again, lil' boybilly twists a statement to make it fit his ridiculous response. Where did Coach Dooley deem "it impossible" to win 7 in a row "before the season start?" I recall him saying that every game was winnable.

Again, you're lying. Really lil' boybilly, it's becoming boring pointing out your lies.

GerryOP writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

And that's why Hart is the UT AD and you're not. And what led you to believe that "...we are no longer going to strive to be and(sic) sec elite team?"

How quickly we forget that 2 years ago Coach Dooley had to play 16 (I think?) freshmen just to field a team. But I know, that's just an excuse and we should still beat AL, UF, LSU, USCar every year. Careful, your ignorance is hanging out.

GerryOP writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Why do you keep posting this nonsense? However, you do have the right to your opinions even if they are absurd.

However, our laws do give you the right to make a fool of yourself. And you leap at every opportunity to do it.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Gerry it got mike shula fired at bama and the program he took over was more devastated than UT in 2010 when dooley took over. you know it, I know it, The only defference is you are willing to accept losing and keep this man on the job. Therefore you are satisfied being a second tier team.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to GerryOP:

No Gerry I do not believe you should beat bama, fl, Lsu, so car ,and you forgot GA every year. However in 3 yrs you are supposed to beat one of them keep your job coaching in the SEC period.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

At last. Something we agree on. Unfortunately, KNS just keeps letting toddyturd back on with new screen names.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I'm sorry, but I must've missed something. Jeffydouche and toddyturd keep saying Dooley "deems it impossible" to win 7 games in a row. As usual, don't let your campaign be dictated by fact-checkers.

Dooley never said that, and I doubt he ever would. He said it's difficult for any team, which is just normal coach-speak. Show me a coach who doesn't compliment his opponent. Even Spurrier complimented the Vols when he was at Florida, between his little jabs at a rival.

Dooley knows MSU hasn't played anybody with a pulse this season, and that 7-in-a-row streak started against a misserable Ole Miss team and a 6-win Wake Forest that lost 41-7 to Vandy their previous game, but no coach is going to go on record saying something like, "Sure, Mississippi State is unbeaten and ranked, but they've just gotten there by beating a bunch of bad high school teeams. Anybody who didn't win those games would be an embarrassment."

jobrando#216494 writes:

It's all sad. VOLS beat State and they were just a sorry over rated team. You folks hating DOOLEY are building your case to continue after this game. VOLS 42 Bells 11

Scoon writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Gone With the Wind was shorter than all that above jabbering.............

Still ... LMAO!! I'm with you!! ... but, who would 'actually' read it?? "... "all that jabbering" ... cracks me up!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

continued

Thoughts??? Please condense your next novel

Scoon writes:

Anybody seen 'PooBear??

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

As Iam reading this article and it occurs to me the Vols are playing or have played 3 teams currently in the top #5 in the nation...Not in the top#20 but top#5 !!!!!! Add to that GA #14 and MSU #19..And we are doing it back to back!! If thats not a brutal schedule I don't know what is?? Out of 165 FBS teams only FLA and Mizzo even come close to such a schedule;and they are certainly not doing it back to back!! Considering that..Instead of calling for coaches heads and calling our boys no talent quitters; I choose to give a tip of the old orange cap to the Vols for taking the field against the best of the best!!

mlynn1 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Very good points, but if your expecting these trolls or fake fans to take that into consideration, it's not going to happen. I have never seen so many negative comments from people who obviously know nothing about football, most of their posts are laughable.

SevenT writes:

Dooley has been coaching with pain? I suppose that will be this years excuse for stinking it up on the field. If I were the assistant coach I would simply pull the plug on the communication cord hooked to Dooley's booth and take over coaching duties. That might actually work.

dholder writes:

Tonight will be a crucial indication as to whether Dooley can right this ship.
Check out this link:

Classof72 writes:

Either Dooley is yelling the wrong things, or Dooley is yelling at the wrong people, or someone else should be in Dooley's place doing the yelling, or all of the above.

As to all this yelling at the players, it's unreasonable for us to expect the coaches to keep doing the same things over and over, and us to expect a different result.

Coach Dooley is building a solid record as a sub-.50% coach. Regardless of what comments people post, that's either going to change very soon or the Vols will have someone else at head coach.

I hope the change starts tonight, and look forward to being pleasantly surprised. GO VOLS!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to orange_eVOLution:

How old are you? Six?

William Todd Freeman (aka collegegrovehillbilly, toddyboy, collegegrovevol, etc etc) is 53 years old....BELIEVE IT OR NOT. Toddy lives down in Tuscaloozer with his mummy & da da. Toddy has ZERO connection to the University of Tennessee unless you count the $5 hat he bought from WallyWorld. His is a fantasy world where he is ruler and knows all. Of course, if I was 53 and still lived at home I would opt for a fantasy world in my mind too.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Classof72:

A loss tonight and early packing starts in the morning for this staff. Then 3 more years of bottom dwelling waiting for the new crew to right the ship.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised you have time to comment....I thought the McDonald's drive-thru was pretty busy on Saturday morning.

By the way....how are the Mildcats doing this year?

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

SQUAWK!! SQUAWK!! 4-14 4-14 TODDY WANT A CRACKER TODDY WANT A CRACKER 4-14 4-14 SQUAWK!! SQUAWK!!

gerwmor writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

continued

I lived in Alabama during the period you are discussing and have often thought about the parallels between the Bama situation and that of the Vols, minus Mike Price, of course. Dooley has not risen to the level that Shula did, but he has stabalized the free fall. I think we should give him that credit even though it does seem time to, as you say, open the bank. That said, all this could have been avoided if UT had let Fulmer go before he let the Kelly Washington type players get out of control. Fulmer remained two years too long for UT to avoid this mess.