Tennessee freshman Armani Moore making a name for himself

Saul Young/News Sentinel

Photo by Saul Young, 2012 Knoxville News Sentinel

Saul Young/News Sentinel Tennessee freshman basketball player Armani Moore is pictured at Thompson-Boling Arena last Monday.

Vols comment on KNS basketball beat reporter, Brendan Quinn

Tennessee freshman Armani Moore was still searching in June 2011.

He floated across some recruiting radars as a combo guard at Swainsboro High School in Central Georgia, just off the freeway connecting Macon and Savannah.

He needed an audience.

That’s how he’d gain high-major attention, he told himself.

So walking onto the floor for the Reebok Headliner Tryout Camp, Moore understood what was on the line. His game earned him an invitation to the camp. A sterling performance could earn him an invitation to the big time — The Reebok Breakout Challenge camp in Philadelphia — where bleachers are stocked with Division I coaches presented open doors to opportunity.

In Atlanta, with much on the line, Moore played his way into the camp’s All-Star game.

That, in turn, garnered the coveted invitation north.

“It was an accomplishment coming from a small town and getting invited to the camp in Philly,” Moore said, when recently asked for his proudest moment on the floor. “It was just me and one of my coaches going there. It was crazy.

“Most people from a small town like that don’t think you can do something so big.”

After garnering some of the attention he thought he warranted, Moore ultimately moved on to a new school, Mount Paran Christian School in Kennesaw, Ga. There he averaged 22 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.9 blocks and 2.3 steals per game.

With the slogan, “Where your game makes your name,” the Breakout camp champions itself as a proving ground.

Moore proved the motto right.

Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin was in the stands in Philly. Moore caught his eye.

Now Moore will be catching minutes as a backup freshman point guard for the Vols.

Q: Is there a preferred nickname Tennessee fans should know?

A: All growing up, people called me ‘Money.” No one really calls me Armani — it’s just “Money,” but they can call me whatever they decide.

Q: Where does “Money” stem from? Your play on the floor?

A: Not really. It’s just a short name my friends called me.

Q: What’s something only a few people know about you?

A: I play basketball, but I’m not a very outgoing person. I just like to sit back and observe most of the time. I’m really quiet.

Q: If you’re the quietest, then who is the loudest clown on the team?

A: I’d say the most obnoxious, but not in a clown way, is Quinton Chievous. He’s always screaming. He’s just very loud; always hollering.

Q: How is fellow freshman Derek Reese as a roommate?

A: He’s pretty chill. He doesn’t bother me or anything. We’re good.

Q: If you can only have one song on your iPod for the whole season, what is it?

A: “Ball Forever” by Future.

Q: Who has the worst taste in music?

A: Josh (Richardson). Every time I get in his car he’s playing something I never heard of before.

Q: Is it any good?

A: No. Not at all.

Q: What’s your favorite class so far?

A: Geology, because it’s the easiest

Q: Jordan, LeBron or Kobe?

A: Kobe.

Q: Why?

A: He does everything.

Q: Who on the team does the best impression of Coach Martin?

A: I think mine is—, nah, I’m not going to say that. I’ll say Yemi (Makanjuola). You can’t understand him, but he does the best.

Q: Can I hear yours?

A: Oh no!

Q: I recall in Italy some rap battles breaking out during various bus rides. You won the title. Are you still wearing the crown?

A: I think I’m the champion right now. There’s no competition at all.

Q: So your full name is Armani T’Bori Moore. Where does T’Bori come from?

A: I don’t know. It’s just a unique middle name that my family came up with. I can’t really explain it.

Q: Why are you majoring in communications?

A: First of all just want to get my education and then hopefully play professionally. But after that I’d like to get into radio broadcasting — something to fall back on.

Q: If you were a radio broadcaster right now, what would be your preseason prognosis for the Vols?

A: I’d say it’s an upcoming team that Coach Martin is making work hard and that doesn’t take days off. It’s a team that’s going to come out this season and fight.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jobrando#216494 writes:

VOLS 42 Cow piles 11

Ayres_Hall writes:

Oh please no Coach Martin. No black uniforms. We are better than that.

underthehill writes:

Hope he steps in and gives Golden fewer minutes at point and more at shooting guard..if this don't work maybe it will be Richardson ...I see the point position as the only question mark to an otherwise solid team...Golden can't handle it alone....

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I like this bball journalism so far. No gimmicks really just talking to the players and finding out what makes them tick.

Very good.

GBO

tnqball writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Oh please no Coach Martin. No black uniforms. We are better than that.

Yes, Coach Martin. We need something new. That is a part of why our athletics department is where it is now. We need a new way of thinking to really get the recruits and that is for all sports.

volfan2002 writes:

I really like Armani as a player he was totally underrated in high school he is gonna be a great player for the Vols.

HtownVol writes:

The story here is the jersey in the pic. Can we see black jerseys this season>?
We all want to see them in football once a year basketball can do it for UK games maybe.

Like I keep saying Martin is a heck of a coach but UT will not win the SEC until we sign a few more top rated players. The 5 styar we just got a commit from is great but Stokes will be gone when he is here and so will Maymon, it takes 3 NBA level players to compete for a championship.

GO VOLS

1vavolfan writes:

I believe the black uni's were a pretty big hit a few years back in football. Ridiculous to think it would be bucking a "tradition" to wear a different uniform for 1-2 games per year. The TBA donor zombies that occupy the lower level seats may not like it but the majority of the fans would go wild for them.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

I think black and orange will be a nice look...but honestly I don't care as long as we throw it to the right team.

martinvol34 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

The story here is the jersey in the pic. Can we see black jerseys this season>?

GO VOLS

Your views continue to baffle me. I think that Pearl's Elite 8 team had "no names" and Green's first round bursts had multiple NBA level players.

Please do more research and only state facts and not what you think you know. Thanks.

ball1523 writes:

in response to martinvol34:

amen!

in response to martinvol34:

Htown has been on here a long time and, while I don't agree with all his views, I find much worth considering in his posts. For example, there is much to be said about the idea that a team must have "3 NBA level players to compete for a championship."

I take that phrase to mean "3 guys who are CAPABLE of playing in the NBA", not necessarily guys who WILL play there. Even for people who closely follow college and pro ball, most have no idea how narrow the margin is between the Kobes and LeBrons of this world and the "who's he?" types. It is often just the difference in where or even whether a guy went to college. [I recognize that neither of these guys went to college at all, but Kobe is the son of an ex-NBAer and LeBron was a legend from at least middle school onwards.] It matters whether a guy gets the right agent. Even more often, it is about whether or not playing pro ball is in fact THE most important thing in a guy's life. Only about three or four dozen of the scores and hundreds who become eligible for the pros each year actually have all those things in order so they can make a real career in "the League". The ones who don't can go to any center-city park in the country and find a dozen guys every night who can eat their lunches on a regular basis, but likely could NOT replace them on NBA rosters. Even the ones who DO make NBA careers don't put it on the line very often in those parks, if they know what's good for them.

Before turning this into an unreadable tome, suffice to say that all a team really needs to compete at a high level is at least one back-board warrior who gets the tough buckets and rebounds inside while discouraging the other team from doing the same, at least one creative scorer who can get his own shot when needed, and one guy who can handle, protect, and distribute the ball and disrupt the opposition from doing the same. And finally, ALL of the guys caring A LOT about defense and taking care of the ball, and little if any about who gets the credit. All NBA teams are looking for the very same things.

no1djkb#278630 writes: