Report card: Glimpses of strong play, but no consistency

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) leaves the field after Mississippi State defeated the Vols 41-31 at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Quarterbacks B

The box score didn't display typical Tyler Bray numbers, but he didn't take any sacks and his only interception was a last-second prayer at the end of the first half. He played a gritty second half while nursing an injury and had to earn the respect of his teammates. Bray never got a chance for a last-ditch drive in the fourth quarter.

Running backs C

In the second half, injuries forced Tennessee to use third-string back Devrin Young and true freshman Quenshaun Watson. Young's fumble — probably the most crucial play of the game — was especially devastating because he had been playing so well in a rare opportunity for extended playing time.

Wide receivers/tight ends C

Justin Hunter caught only two passes and notably alligator-armed a long pass on a crucial third down play. Cordarrelle Patterson made plays in special teams and out of the backfield, but caught only two passes for 25 yards. Zach Rogers continues to be a reliably sure-handed receiver.

Offensive line B

It's a testament to the line that Tennessee moved the ball so well on the ground in the second half, even with Rajion Neal and Marlin Lane on the bench. Bray took some hits but never any sacks, which is a credit to both the quarterback and his line.

Defensive line C

Tyler Russell was sacked twice, which is a lot for him. LaDarius Perkins chewed up plenty of yards, but there were few big runs.

Linebackers C

A.J. Johnson was all over the place and was credited with an incredible 21 tackles (four solo and 17 assisted). Herman Lathers was second best on the team with 12. Willie Bohannon and Jacquez Smith were also active.

Secondary C

Byron Moore was beside himself when he missed an interception that bounced in and out of his hands. It would have been a game-changing moment against a team that never commits turnovers. It was tough to tell what kind of an impact the addition of LaDarrell McNeil and Jaron Toney had in the secondary, but the defense's problems are obviously far from solved.

SPECIAL TEAMS B

Patterson's 98-yard return kept the Vols alive during a miserable first half in which everything seemed to go wrong. But the way Mississippi State easily recovered a sky kick had to infuriate coach Derek Dooley. Michael Palardy took over for Matt Darr in the punting game after Darr shanked an early punt.

Coaching C

There were glimpses of what Tennessee would like its offense to be all the time, and glimpses of what the defense aspires to be as well. But it wasn't a complete four-quarter performance, which is something that has eluded Dooley's teams for each of the last three years.

Overall C

This loss was devastating for the Vols, and there's no way to spin it otherwise. Tennessee must pull off a monumental upset in the next two weeks to avoid an 0-5 SEC start. That's a difficult reality to face for a team that started the season with much higher expectations.

Related Stories

GloryDays writes:

Dooley get a "C" but the nails have been put in his cofin. 0-13 against top 25 teams. It's over for Dooley.

volfaninusaf writes:

Now can we finally say fire Dooley? I have been patient this season. I shut up and cheered my heart out every game.

Gmoney58 writes:

Time for a change. Stability isn't just having a coach in place. It is having a culture in place. M Hart has to the task of restoring stabilty to a storied program. His next move may define his fututre at TN.
Good luck Mr. Hart. And welcome to the hot seat.
Look to the guy sitting next to you. His hip hurts.

Ibngary writes:

Not sure how "devastating loss" equates to a C. With the exclusion of TD return special teams get a D at best. Coaching also a D. Maybe Patterson should get his own category and give WRs a F.

MemphisOnAir writes:

I agree tonight's loss was very hard to stomach. The defense needs time to jell and hopefully quickly. No one should be calling for Coach Dooley to be fired or anything of the such. Keep this in mind IF coach is let go just think about the repercussions of that will follow, players have to learn another new system which takes even more time, recruits decommit etc. Basically we'll end up back where we were right before Coach Dooley was hired. Our time will come but patience is needed and as much I hate to say it but it's true and if you're a REAL VOL FAN you understand this with no question. Stay behind OUR team 100% and for all you haters go kick rocks!!! #GoVols #VFL

VOLHbomb writes:

C....a C.......really?? We lost, let me repeat....WE LOST!! We are the doormat of the SEC. "Here come those pesky Vols, but don't worry we will beat them!"

C ya DD!!

As much as I like Dooley and his personality, character, etc. we have to start winning games against meaningful SEC/ranked opponents immediately. If this team doesn't beat Alabama or South Carolina I'm done with Dooley.

It is highly likely I could have coached this team for the last 3 years and won and LOST the same games. So why not try somebody new. Consistency in the program will not help this problem. The issue is our coach can't coach. Time will not heal this. Time to take our medicine and find a high caliber, quality coach with a proven track record. Hart knows this...he knows his first hire MUST be an enormous pick and make a huge splash.

I would think he has his list and is checking it twice...

In all seriousness who is out there we could get....don't say Gruden. He is earning nearly 3 million a year eating steaks every Sunday night in big cities and strolling into the office Monday afternoon. Get real and give me some real ideas on who we could acquire......

snafu14u#241639 writes:

I'm not even sure why we do this report card deal anymore........it serves no purpose. Also please no calling for Gruden as the next coach, nip it in the bud now. It is shear fantasy to believe in such things. Let this be the last time Gruden's name pops up. As a side note, I'm flying in from Oregon for the 3rd Saturday in October. Haven't been inside Neyland in 12 years. Looking forward to some Calhoun's BBQ and a cold one on The Strip. Also a VFL, just passed away, my father (Class of 56). He used the GI Bill to help him play his way thru the Chemical Engineering School in 3 years. As he and Mom, also raised a young Vol to be,me (Class of 76). We put Power T car flags on the hearse and my Orange Xterra, and required all his workmates/church members to wear Orange at the Open House and Military Honor Guard. I was hoping for a better team for him this year but no dice. Go Vols. BonziVol...in Portland,OR

frblalack writes:

Crucial third down: Bray fires a bullet to Justin Hunter, only it was two feet behind him & totally uncatchable. Young plays well but makes a critical fumble. Moore drops a sure interception which may have been a touchdown. Darr shanks another punt. In short, the team made enough bad plays to lose. And our defense didn't show up in the first half...so now we have all the callers-in after Coach's job. Well guess what, our Coaches didn't make any of those plays. And we played a very good team on their home field.

But I'm sure no one will notice our improvements, we didn't give up the gashing runs. Tyler played injured & was still accurate most of the time. Rajon ran downhill, Devrin did well except for the one play, Cordarelle was absolutely spectactular, Ben Bartholomew was outstanding, A.J. was a beast & Jacquies was much much better. Our O'line continues to open holes, and Zach Rogers was once again very reliable and very good.

We played a tough game against a tough team! Please Vol fans keep the faith. We will WIN some significant games. I predict we upset a top ten team this season! And I really can't see Mississippi State losing too many games!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life !

BigOrangeFreak writes:

It's obvious Woodberry is too close to the team to be able to objectively assess their performance.

The grades across the board are at least a letter grade too high.

Mississippi State (despite being 6-0) is just not that good of a football team.

I watch a great deal of college football, and these guys are ranked simply due to beating up on patsies, and wins over a hapless team, and our dysfunctional Vols.

If coaching gets a C for tonight's effort, please give me a shot at the job for just one week:

I'll give you at least a C+

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to MemphisOnAir:

I'm so sick of people who accept mediocrity in their lives, criticizing those of us who expect more out of it.

"Real Vol Fan?" I bet you can talk for an hour or two about how much modesty and humility you have too?

JimmyJoe writes:

in response to frblalack:

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life !

Why exactly do we have coaches? Seems like the players just either do good things or bad things own their own. How come sabens teams don't do those things... Or spurriers..or heck. Mullens? I guess they are just given better...smarter...players by the football gods.

JimmyJoe writes:

By the way..devrin fumbled a dang punt too... I'd never had his butt in there to fumble the game away after the wake up call on the punt... But wait that would have been coaching wouldn't it?

Dancingmanone writes:

Send the GA boy home

Longhunter writes:

Mississippi State Coach to his players before the game;

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.
3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.
4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.
6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

8. Oh, and to our fans, clang those cowbells as loud as you can !

pms151 writes:

You obviously are getting a stipend from the AD. The defense was a wreck. No more than D's should be handed out. Did you listen to the game on the Vol Network or something or did you actually see the same game the rest of of us did? And why is it that KNS has no quotes from the coaching staff? Are you guys in bed with Dooley?

xvolx writes:

What defense?

ps11824 writes:

Clueless, is this team.

So sickening to watch these players jump around crowing & preening when they actually DO make a play. You just know the next snap will be a screw-up. What ever happened to defense? Who's coaching defense?

woodcutter writes:

I originally thought you were too generous, but when you consider this loss was against a ranked team and an SEC team, it is a moral victory! Give Coach Dooley an “A”.
When do we get back to MAC and Sun Belt Conference games?

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to snafu14u#241639:

Bonzai, you and I have been on this site since the early days of the original pay site. I've always enjoyed your posts and insight. You won't see many posts from me anymore. Can't stand all the trolls polluting our board.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how truly sorry I am to hear about the passing of your Dad. Sounds like a true VFL, and he raised you as one as well. I also lost my Dad back in May at the young age of 93, so I think I know how you feel. My condolences to you and your family.

volhome writes:

If CPF had been head coach the grades would have been much lower with these same outcomes. Let's open our eyes and see that the defense was gashed. Again. 98reax was exactly right, in saying "So sickening to watch these players jump around crowing & preening when they actually DO make a play. You just know the next snap will be a screw-up". As much as I got furious at Mustang times, at least Chief would have had this defense do better.

We need to be honest with ourselves that some very good things happened in the game. And while we are being honest, admit that the horrendous far outshone the good. At this rate, November 3rd can't come soon enough, and even that is questionable with this D.

jawbreaker writes:

We are now Vanderbilt.

jawbreaker writes:

Sorry,we are the old Vanderbilt. The new Vanderbilt is going to beat these Vols.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to MemphisOnAir:

31-37 record, 4-15 in SEC, those are the numbers. 17-20 at LA Tech...Please remind me why I should believe Dooley is going to make us proud!

Ironcity writes:

You can use the letter D or F when describing UT. Just because we managed to stop Miss St in the 3rd quarter doesn't mean we played average (C). Across the board Ds for the defense and probable Fs somewhere. hard for O when they know everytime they don't score we lose ground. After the 1st quarter of every game I ask myself did our DC look at any film the previous week?

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to jawbreaker:

We are now Vanderbilt.

For the last five years might be worth adding

jobrando#216494 writes:

Good report card for an average team. Dooley got to now beat Bama or SC and the last 4. The mountain gets higher. It's possible but it's possible one of us will win the lottery.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Dancingmanone:

Send the GA boy home

moma's calling...got him a job with a good law firm in Athens

tellico_bob writes:

in response to MemphisOnAir:

Who made you king of the Vol Fans. What "REAL VOL FANS" understand is that it has been over five years since we played anything that remotely resembled Tennessee Football. How many SEC losses will it take before you decide dooley has had a fair chance?

tensie2004 writes:

in response to jawbreaker:

We are now Vanderbilt.

We have been Vanderbilt since the Kentucky game last year when many Vol fans kept saying lets give Dooley ONE more year and see if he can turn this around. I believe you can already see the results for this year with Bama and Carolina looking to demolish us the next two weeks. One last thing, you get what you pay for, Dooley gets paid less than the Coach from Vandy, isn't that enough said!!!! Lets make some well noted coach the highest paid coach in college football - try John Gruden, its in his blood and I believe he is chomping at the bit to get back in coaching - give him the money and he will come!!!!!!!!

tanasi2 writes:

What do all of you "Dooley lovers" have to say now? What excuses are you going to use to defend Dooley?? UT is getting what it deserves for firing Phil Fulmer. Phil deserved ONE more year to right his ship and he didn't get it. Now, look at where we are? Vandy will beat the vols this year!!

Prostar writes:

Grading is way too generous. Overall grade should be a "D". We didn't play "average" football. Offensive playcalling was, well, "offensive". Our defense can't stop anybody, only slow them down. Special teams aren't special. Palardy kicks one (as usual) out-of-bounds so the other team gets better field position. This team is not progressing, it is regressing. An 8-4 season is no longer a possibility, more like 6-6 with some luck along the way.

SummerfieldVol writes:

Oh where oh where has our defense gone oh where can it be? I think we have capable coaches , but I don't think we have the mentality to do what the coaches are trying to do. You can't fix stupid. Out of position, letting a high kick off hit the ground just a few of the things that went wrong, a college level punter who has not did very well since he has been here.A 13 yard punt? Alot of things are wrong, we just don't have the horses to get it done. You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a plow horse.

IamaVol writes:

in response to jawbreaker:

We are now Vanderbilt.

We are not that good. I watched Vandy for the first time this year and they are much better coached. Dont look for a win there.

tellico_bob writes:

in response to frblalack:

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life !

I'll bet you $10,000 that we don't beat a top ten team this year. Heck, I'll even give you 100-1 odds. We'll be lucky to beat kentucky.

fasteddief2010 writes:

If we fire Coach Dooley, we will be right back where we were after the California Kid left....Coach has us going in the right direction. Yea he needs another year or maybe two. Brutal schedule (well the middle of it anyway) and things are going to turn. Keep the faith!

tellico_bob writes:

in response to jawbreaker:

We are now Vanderbilt.

we don't have the academics to be vanderbilt

powert#205805 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

It should have happened after KY. Just postponed the inevitable and wasted a year.

How crazy does a school the caliber of UT to hire a coach with a losing record? (Auburn with Chizik is another example. I know he won a championship his first year with Newton, but that was ALL Newton. Without him, he can't beat Ole Miss after having three top 10 recruiting years.)

Some have said that no one would come here. What a load of Bravo Sierra. They come for cash and you have to make the wad big enough to get a winner. The money spent on Dooley was good money chasing bad from day one. See what going cheap gets you?

On the subject at hand, no way this staff deserves anything above a D and that would be generous. They were outcoached and beaten by a team that was well coached, but with inferior talent.

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to frblalack:

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life !

The only beef I have with this team is all the unforced errors. Yeah, MSU has a nice team but I think they have one of the best up and coming coaches out there. The jury is still out on Dooley. If they make a move with Dooley at the end of the season, they better have someone in the bag they know they can get. We can't afford to miss on a coach again. We've had two misses since Fulmer was fired.

TKO writes:

Bting in Petrino now, not at the end of the season. Tennessee would be relevant again in three years.

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to powert#205805:

I was okay with him getting this year. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten it done. I agree with you. Throw enough cash and just about anyone will come. Sub .500 football just doesn't cut it here.

Vol-in-GA writes:

I've said it before. Vols will lose every game in Oct, and "should" win every game in November. That leaves Tenn at 7-5, bowl eligible. Dooley probably stays. Any loss in November, 6-6 or worse, Dooley goes. Based on what's ahead, Vandy, Troy (no gimme, trust me, and Missouri have the capability to beat Vols. before I'm attacked, I hope Vols win every game. However, those are the facts as I see em!

geraldodell#1377039 writes:

Either our head coach is one of the dumbest we have ever had or else his assistant coaches are the dumbest we've ever had. Oh wait, isnt the head coach responsible for hiring assistants? My bad.

Orangeblood13 writes:

They lined up wrong on 2 punts....and took penalties

Bray is not progressing, still making freshman mistakes...

Def always out of position.....

That's coaching and should not be accepted

Disappointing

DandridgeVol writes:

So, does this mean that we aren't going to a top tier bowl this year? :/

LaneBrains writes:

In SoCal they are saying CLK = Obama. In Knoxville, CDD= Obama. "Stay the course, it could be worse"

we think they are right , it is easy to see the better future that is just ahead.

CLK, Monte and Ed.

alfrizzle097 writes:

Good half time adjustments obviously. I can see the C for coaching.

Defense had about the worst half of football I've ever seen. Mississippi State's offense scored five times before UT got their third offensive possession.

I think you have to give the offensive line some credit. The fumble by your third string running back was crushing, but overall they were hitting holes, falling forward, and fighting for YAC.

Special teams, aside from the touchdown return, were pretty awful. I guess they hit their extra points and field goals, but really you shouldn't give them too much credit for what is the norm on so many teams. The 10 yard punt didn't help in the first half. The botched kickoff fielding made me cringe. Don't forget Young's muffed fair catch.

GloryDays writes:

in response to TKO:

Petrino is a scum bag!

Volalumnus writes:

in response to MemphisOnAir:

No on should be calling for Dooley to keep his job. Except for other teams of course.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Young is pretty sure handed..He rarely mishandles a punt..But when I saw him getting all those carries I knew it was just a matter of time till he coughed it up..

CrankE writes:

Give up 41 points including a TD with 9 seconds to go and the defense gets a C!?

You know, I'm thinking about MSU's pile-on TD with 9 seconds left. And I'm remembering how LSU last season took a knee three times to give MSU the ball back because the game was decided. I hope that some astute UT coach in the future will remember this when we play them again.

In the words of John Ward, It's time.

Take the bamboo, the ceramic orange dog, the showers, the Germans at D-Day, the orange pants, Mama Bouchez (Barbara Dooley), Fat Sal, Charlie Coiner, Jim Chaney, and the artificial hip and get the F out of Tennessee.