Tennessee to host Alabama at 7 p.m. on ESPN

Tennessee celebrates with tailback Rajion Neal (20) after he scored a touchdown in the first quarter against Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

The game time and television network for Tennessee's (3-3, 0-3 SEC) home game against No. 1 Alabama (6-0, 3-0) on Saturday was announced Sunday. The Vols will take on the Crimson Tide at 7 p.m. on ESPN.

It is the second time Tennessee has been on ESPN this season, the first was when the Vols fell to now No. 3 Florida 37-20 on Sept. 15 in Knoxville.

The Tennessee/Alabama game was being considered by CBS for its 3:30 time slot, but instead South Carolina's visit to Florida will fill that spot. LSU at Texas A&M, the other game CBS was considering, will be broadcast on ESPN at noon.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NashvillePreds writes:

I wonder if Tyler Bray will be able to wipe his tears away by game time.

wclay12#363120 writes:

Maybe Kentucky or Vandy will draw the 12:30 regional time slot. I'm so sick of night games..... I'm going to let them have it back next year. I've seen enough.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Oh Lord, why can't we get the buttwhipping over earlier in the day? This could get real ugly.

dvhill100 writes:

Keep fighting. Something has to break for you sometime. Although it probably won't be this game. :-/

99gator writes:

accidently leave the sprinklers on all week and flood the field.

that bamboo needs a whole lot of water real quick

PinballWizard writes:

Who cares....

voloffaith writes:

We all know the odds.....,but have to still play the game...possibility? Yes. Probabale? No. Mistake free ball 60 minutes from VOLS and tide being gratuitous with sloppy ball handling and we may have a chance....this team is somewhat like old okie team with jack Mildren at the helm....scored 55 and gave up 53...just have a lil more than them(we just need to flip who has more points)...that ,BTW, is the usual formula for victory anyway....

south_alabama_vol writes:

Not sure I can bear to watch it :(

mocsandvolsfan writes:

We need to score lots and we need to score often and we need to not ever play defense(I can't wait for the responses on that), but stay on the offense.

We need to stay away from any kind of 3-4 D. Oh wait I guess we're already doing that.

I'll be for Dooley getting another year no matter what. NOT because I think he's the answer. But because I think we should keep our bargains and give him a fair shot. 4-5 years. AND because we can't help but be better on defense nest year. btw Miss. State's quarterback first half was as accurate as anyone I've seen this year. It sure seems to help when there is no pressure.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

I figured out what happened to Dooley's hip way too much butt kicking from ranked opponents.Bama will kicking with both feet this will be bad I suspect.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

When alabama leaves town next week, maybe we can send hart and sal the imposter dc with them! Our dc is really a joke, worst defense that I have seen in fourty years.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

44? Is that it? They'll be lucky it that's all Bama scores. Hate to say it but it's going to be a very embarrassing night in Knoxville. Our Vols haven't shown me they can stop anybody. This is the worst D in Vol history.

hallmo11 writes:

I'm not looking at this game through orange-colored glasses. Of course, the odds of us pulling out a victory are astronomical; but.....what if? (Appy did beat Michigan, you remember.) Let's at least play the game. As much as I would love a victory over the nation's #1 team (and that statement was hard to even type), I would LOVE even more seeing how much these Vol fans who post on here would FLIP their comments. Oh, how I would love to see that! Go Vols! 6 games yet to play. Salvage a season!!!!

jtb01 writes:

People.....Kirby Smart will be our next coach....AD hart from alabama, sal sunseri was hired to implement the 3 - 4 this year so when Smart comes in the D will be ready for him next season....the 3 - 4 takes at least 1 full season to learn it and do it right. I know dooley came into a mess......he would probably need to hire an OC that knows our current offense......Chaney is not it either....but whomever we have is going to be getting an experienced bunch........ I expect a good season next year.

vq4nfo writes:

I will keep the tickets but it may be brew time early. National TV butt kicking twice and it is not even November!

pcshowtime writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I tried to tell you about the 3-4 D

tennisvol writes:

Oh no! Not on national tv!

Tru138 writes:

Gonna be alot of third string and walk-on Tide players getting reps.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to jtb01:

We are not The University of alabama at knoxville

I got a great idea for UT Get rid of the bama boys hart included. 3 more discrimination suits filed on Fri.
No more Saban boys.

10SE writes:

I can hardly wait. (Can you read the sarcasm ?)

TKO writes:

Saban wants Dooley to keep his job so he will make it interesting.Other than that, I'll take two tylenol and hope the Vols win. GBO!

orangeinbama writes:

in response to jtb01:

Dana Holgorsen will be next. It will be his to take.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I could end up being proven wrong about this, but I don't think we're going to get blown out by anybody this year. Even last season, without Bray, with only one serious receiving threat, and with no running game at all, we had Bama tied at halftime in Tuscaloser. We may give up more points than last year, but we will score a lot more points too.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to voloffaith:

And IF my aunt had different plumbing, she'd be my uncle.

TKO writes:

Also, with LSU just a couple of weeks down the road, don't look for Saban to play starters all night. Early lead and then sub.

annonyknox writes:

And we all feel the excitement.

vq4nfo writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

LMAO, Have you seen this team play? They have their second string playing the 4th quarter and that was the so called tough games.

pcshowtime writes:

We all agree mike hamilton is a douche.

Dave Hart has had his share of problems also:
discrimination suits 3 more filled on fri.
I have also seen some feel the sal sunseri defensive coordinator hire was directed by Dave Hart. I do not know.

Anyway who is hiring these Athletic directors????

orangeinbama writes:

3rd and Chavis.....How things change....threw the baby out with the bathwater....

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to vq4nfo:

Ok, but they haven't exactly been playing powerhouses either, have they?

vettefool writes:

in response to orangeinbama:

Dana Holgorsen will be next. It will be his to take.

wow, west va. really has a potent defense. see last game versus tx.tch. . no way.

Ironcity writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

We all agree mike hamilton is a douche.

Dave Hart has had his share of problems also:
discrimination suits 3 more filled on fri.

Anyway who is hiring these Athletic directors????

Sunseri was all Dooley. Hart wanted the ex Miami coach. I bet Dooley wishes hart had forced his hand. Hart inherited this mess. Hamilton sucked all the money out and also put the program in the cross hairs of the NCAA. As for the discrimination suits they are without merit. The three from Friday filed suit against Hamilton a couple of years back (at least two of the three) and lost. These are perpetual victims (in their own minds). They don't leave and earn additional money because no one in their right mind would hire them for anything. If they were in the private sector they would have been fired decades ago but instead of being grateful they resent the very hands that feed them. What a shame that some people don't know what they have until they lose it.

orangeinbama writes:

in response to vettefool:

Thought it was as likely and maybe beat the chuckie/cower blah blah stuff before it got started...personally, I think it would be interesting...Cant be Peterson, he only recruits 3 star athletes....so only a coach with offensive prowress and a great defense,,,would be who???

underthehill writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

We are not The University of alabama at knoxville

No more Saban boys.

UT football as we knew it is no more..the discrimination suits are more interesting to me than the outcome of the bama UT game..and just as easy to predict..my opinion is Hart and UT will settle to avoid the truth becoming public...

underthehill writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Don't think you are basing your conclusions on sound reasoning about the suits..according to the document filed in court that I read ..it seems Hart created the problem that resulted in the suit due to his handling of the merger of women's and men's ath departments..I think the 3 you speak of filed on Friday did previously file an appeal thru the school and not thru the courts..don't sound to me like you are familiar with court proceedings..

jobrando#216494 writes:

42-0 by half then Bama plays 2nd 3rd string. Final Bama 49 VOLS 21

pcshowtime writes:

Jon Gruden
I am not saying we need to go this route.
I just hear everybody say he will not take the job. He will take it we need to open the checkbook up ect.. So I thought I would let everyone know what it would take to get Gruden or probably any other coach with that name recognition.

Jon Gruden: has told us and others no on many occasions. However Saban told bama no a lot of times also. I can tell you what it would take to get him here something close to what bama gave saban. Bama gave saban 32 mil guaranteed over 8 yrs and complete control over football. Well since that was 2008. I figure you offer chucky the same but be willing to go up to 40 mil guaranteed for 8 yrs.

therightstuff writes:

A continuation of the ESPN hatred for Tennessee! Why else would they put Tennessee-Alabama on in prime time? They know that it will be an embarrassment for the Big Orange....the reason MS State was on ESPN2 was in case TN did win. Spoken in jest. Really though....Saturday night has the potential to be very embarrassing to say the least. As for someone who commented that Alabama hasn't played anyone yet.....neither had MS State and MSU ain't Bama. I would like Dooley to remain for nothing more than stability and great interviews....but a two year set back is a two year set back whether in 2013 or 2014. The new head coach may be wearing Crimson saturday night....unless Bobby Petrino is sitting in the Presidents box.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to therightstuff:

The comment that Bama hasn't really played anybody yet was directed at another poster who said they've been playing 2nd and 3rd string by the fourth quarter every game (which isn't really true), not to say it like it means we'll beat them.

Your observation that MSU hadn't played anybody yet is true, but it isn't like they blew us out. They had us by 3 points, then did something unprecedented and took a fourth down shot at the endzone. We were only a couple of mistakes away from beating them by 10.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to therightstuff:

No more bama boys at UT.
Everyone hates petrino but here are some interesting thoughts about Bobby P.
1. He can be had cheap and with no long term deal.
2. He does more with less talent and is a proven winner in the SEC.
3. to my knowledge has never been in trouble with the NCAA.
4. You load his contract with morality clauses in case he screws up.
5. He will be coaching somewhere next year because see number 2 above.

99gator writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Ok, but they haven't exactly been playing powerhouses either, have they?

i hate to pour salt in the wound, but some of you need shock therapy.

"Ok, but they haven't exactly been playing powerhouses either, have they?"

newsflash.......tennessee is not a powerhouse. they have not been a powerhouse for a long time.

this is the 4th opponent i have seen some of y'all do this.

florida....bowling green and texas a&m. and florida didn't look all that good.

georgia.....they haven't played anyone and they don't look all that good.

mississippi state.....they haven't played anyone yet.

alabama......they haven't exactly played any powerhouses yet.

alabama is the premier program with the premier coach in america. tennessee is coached by derek dooley and has one conference win in the last eleven conference games.

tennessee hasn't had a winning record within the conference since 2007.

for the love of all that is holy, stop looking at whatever vulnerabilties you think you see in your opponents and start recognizing just how bad it is in knoxville right now.

point blank, tennessee isn't anywhere close to where they need to be as a team to even make alabama remotely concerned.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

yes and if Miss ST does not have a special teams break down they beat us by 17. You are not trying to climb back on Dooley bandwagon are you???

laraccoon writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

42-0 by half then Bama plays 2nd 3rd string. Final Bama 49 VOLS 21

just out of curiosity why is it so important to you to make game score predictions ? lets hear a prediction on Dooleys' future.

voloffaith writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

And IF my aunt had different plumbing, she'd be my uncle.

WOW! That was almost funny(not)....that was all you had? You must have liked it,but couldn't give in and give me an atta boy....

pcshowtime writes:

in response to 99gator:

i hate to pour salt in the wound, but some of you need shock therapy.

"Ok, but they haven't exactly been playing powerhouses either, have they?"

this is the 4th opponent i have seen some of y'all do this.

florida....bowling green and texas a&m. and florida didn't look all that good.

georgia.....they haven't played anyone and they don't look all that good.

mississippi state.....they haven't played anyone yet.

alabama......they haven't exactly played any powerhouses yet.

tennessee hasn't had a winning record within the conference since 2007.

I am going to have go take a bath after responding to Gator post.
But as much as it hurts he speaks the truth.

papavol writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Jon Gruden
I am not saying we need to go this route.

I'm with you. Open up the checkbook and give him the keys to the program. Let him do whatever he wants. Let him hire whoever he wants. The worst he can do is say no and we go onto the next. John Gruden.... YES PLEASE!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I swear some of you people need to get lives!

If you run into a Gator fan from the next cubicle over at the water fountain, and he talks some trash about that game, do you feel like HE has beaten YOU or something? He hasn't. If you think he has, you need to get a life.

You can support this team, or support another team, or ignore them all. If you support the team, then you support the coach too, because he's part of it. Stop acting like your life or your future depends on how many games these kids win or lose.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I swear some of you people need to get lives!

yep you are back on the wagon.

voloffaith writes:

in response to papavol:

To all those posters that keep saying get a PROVEN coach.....how is he proven in the college ranks? Other than his eSpn college qb show what is his resume? Tampa Bay and college?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

I am going to have go take a bath after responding to Gator post.
But as much as it hurts he speaks the truth.

Even though his entire comment was completely off the mark.

I said Alabama hasn't exactly been playing powerhouses in response to a comment that they've been playing 2nd and 3rd string in all their games by the fourth quarter. It had nothing to do with all that other stuff, and nothing to do with UT.