Jim Chaney: Fumbles are Vols' biggest worry against Alabama

Mississippi State defensive back Johnthan Banks (13) and head coach Dan Mullen celebrate together after recovering a fumble from Tennessee tailback Devrin Young (19) in the fourth quarter at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Coach Dooley on the Vols offense

Is a "moral victory" acceptable against Alabama?

See the results »

View previous polls »

KNOXVILLE - Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said avoiding fumbles is the biggest concern for the running backs who must replace injured starter Rajion Neal on Saturday.

Neal, who injured his ankle in last week’s loss to Mississippi State is doubtful for Saturday when the Vols (3-3, 0-3 SEC) play No. 1 Alabama (6-0, 3-0) at Neyland Stadium (TV: ESPN, 7 p.m.)

“(Fumbles) are what scares you the most,” Chaney said.

He said he was pleased with the job done by Devrin Young, who led the team in rushing last week, but was concerned about his costly fumble. Chaney said that’s sometimes a product of backups not getting enough high-level reps before thrown into the game. Both Neal and backup Marlin Lane missed the second half last week.

“We’ve got to do a better job of ball security in our offense,” Chaney said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dontdroptheVOL writes:

What is the status of Marvin Lain? Any word or idea if he's been practicing this week?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to dontdroptheVOL:

Don't worry, Marvin will be ready to serve hamburgers and hotdogs on Saturday.

CoverOrange writes:

Seriously, I thought Young got better and better at RB as the game wore on. But there is something wrong when Hunter has only two catches.

TooDlems writes:

It's a good thing the Vols play the Barn next year, one of us has to have some relief.

smokysbark writes:

in response to TooDlems:

LMAO ... nice Clower reference! Dang I'm old!

Snapshot writes:

in response to dontdroptheVOL:

Don't know about that guy, but Marlin Lane is practicing. lol

vfl76 writes:

I know this has nothing to do with this article, but I thought something should have been on the sports pages about this.......We lost a good one this week, Defensive End and Monster Man from the 1967 Tennessee National Championship Team (and may I add a great Man also). Prayers go out to the family of Nick Showalter who left us to early at 65. RIP Nick, May God Bless!

dendeb18#1413083 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Yeah. It's called play-calling by the offensive co-ordinator. Obivously there is a problem with Hunter.Also, why all of a sudden has the tight end been forgotten. He has become nothing more than a blocker.

eduardo writes:

I think fumbles are the least of our worries!

TrouserCough writes:

Yet another comprehensive paragraph, er article

6972 writes:

Add to the big concern of fumbling, all the following: bad kicking, a porous defense, a slow defensive secondary, and a team that is ranked number l in the nation. I think there is plenty to be concerned about. Best wishes to the Orange.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to vfl76:

here here rip Nick

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

Atlanta sports radio is reporting via "unconfirmed sources" that McCarron has a torn meniscus in his knee. They said the report came from 3 sources. While I would hate for him to be done for the season...it would not hurt me for him to miss the game Saturday.

pcshowtime writes:

This is off topic as well. I saw Miss st had the pink on for breast cancer awareness. No other sec team that I saw on tv last weekend did. Is that something that they did on there on?

underthehill writes:

in response to dendeb18#1413083:

Yeah..and if Chaney was half of a coach he would acknowledge the defender made a great play on the Young fumble instead of throwing Young under the bus to make it look like Chaney had no fault in the loss..what a nut..easy to see why Kiffen left him at UT..

vfl76 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

I think it was mention on the air that one of the players mother had cancer....not sure but I think that is what was said.

vfl76 writes:

in response to underthehill:

And even when Kiffen was here and Chaney was the OC, Kiffen called the plays.

bensle#570964 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

LMAO

smokysbark writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

I believe South Carolina did also in the LSU game ... not sure if each of them did it on their own though.

gatorhator4eva writes:

if macCarron is out, this game just became a whole lot more interesting. not confirmed yet, but a miniscus tear is not reason to sit out but can be aggravated easily. tennessee will need to apply major pressure, get him to make mistakes. also an injury sometimes like that can put a qb on edge or nervous as they dont want to aggrevate it. people think its far fetched but if what is reported is true this is starting to look like a recipe for a trap game for bama. if i was a bama fan i wouldnt count my chickens before they hatch. the backup qb for bama has yet to play any substantial sec football.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to smokysbark:

Actually I think that SC's uniforms were in respect and support of the "Wounded Warriors" Program. The pink is showing support to Breast Cancer survivors and those not so fortunate. Either last week or the entire month is Breast Cancer Awareness. The majority of pro teams and a lot of collegiate teams were sporting the pink color.

My late sister "Pange" lost here fourth fight with this dreadful disease a year ago September. I know she is cheering for the Vols with the "REAL VOLUNTEER" Jesus in heaven. Give Mom a kiss for me Sis. You're both sorely missed by all.

GBO! Let's flush the Tide!

vol017#220584 writes:

in response to dontdroptheVOL:

Marvin Lain...I believe he's a frat boy walk-on that we will wake up an hour before kick-off to start at tailback.

volsrfiguy writes:

what makes you folks think that Bamalama would need to even play a kid that is a real quarterback...does KY game last year ring any bells? Coach Dookey would find a way to blow it..

oldvoltimer62 writes:

Dooley is the engine that leads this coaching train wreck.Chaney and Sal are just two empty cars along for the ride.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to vfl76:

Nick made that great one-on-tackle on Floyd Little of Syracuse to win the game, on one yard line. The picture was all over the Sports' Pages. I knew Nick at UT and we stayed in touch as he was a dentist in W Knoxville on Papermill. He married a local girl. He always had a smile with good stories from the days of great linebackers, Nick, Paul Naumoff, Steve Kiner, Frank Emanuel, Hacksaw Reynolds, etc. Fun times on The Hill. Wazzy

PUL4VOLS writes:

Devrin Young, cannot, repeat cannot, run between the tackles all game and not get banged up. I can't say for Watson. But without Lane or Neal, the running will be limited OR...the O-line will step up and show us some things we have not yet seen. I would love to see that, have Young make me eat my words....but not holding my breath. As for McCarron, if all the predictors are correct he won't need to play much anyway. I hope they are wrong and we see a well played game by the men in orange and white.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to wazzya69vol:

I forgot to say it was in Gator Bowl. We were starting our climb back up, followed the Bluebonnet Bowl. This is all on memory, Wazzy

VolinCalif writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

The problem was both catches were hot Dogs.

StoneJackBaller writes:

I believe Devrin Young can get it done. He is a smaller, quicker, hard to find back coming from behind that huge line. He's finally notching some experience on his belt and it might pay off this week.

Get CP the ball every which way you can. Have we even tried one screen pass to him this year? Have we even tried a screen pass period?

As for the D, hopefully we can force at least 3 or 4 punts, but don't hold your breath.

Dooley, you have to pull out a win here or at SC to extend your stay, so good luck!

crappieking writes:

Dooley, Sunseri, and Chaney still coaching us is my biggest concern. The three stooges for sure. Time to put the Doolaid down and get a REAL coach. Not someone that has a career losing record.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Anything under 14 will credit Dooley with third straight moral win

jobrando#216494 writes:

I worry more about Tyler choking and throwing darts that become picks

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to oldvoltimer62:

Sal is the caboose for sure

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to dontdroptheVOL:

Here is the latest on Marvin Lain. Last name is spelled Lane not lain.

I dont think he will be on the field saturday.

GO VOLS !!!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to KremsersWaywardWallop:

Excellent idea Flowers....a lot of us wish you would stand in front of a freight train. You could scream "Dooooooooleeeeeave" right before impact.

volsfaithful writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Tennessee seems to struggle against backup QBs, reference LSU Championship game and oh please don't shoot me, Kentucky. I think we will score points, but the defense has been so abismal it scares me

Classof72 writes:

Don't worry(about fumbles)....Be happy.

Enjoy the team and the game. It's the only team we got, the only coaching staff we got, and the only game we play this week.

Why worry about beating Bama? Nobody else can beat them, so what if the Vols don't? We can throw and catch, so we have a chance. That's cool. We get a chance to try, so hum that tater, Tyler! GO VOLS!

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

" A ton of good+any bad= you're still screwing up." Remember saying that?

pcshowtime writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

GBO! Let's flush the Tide!

I hate to hear that I wish our vols would do that. All you really need is the socks and shoes

CrankE writes:

I think throwing 30 yard incompletions on third and 1 is Tennessee's biggest risk against Alabama. No first down, clock stops, and our winded, awful defense gets sent back on the field.

Look, the only way Alabama beats us is if we have to put our defense on the field.

TooDlems writes:

in response to CrankE:

The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee is Paul Finebaum.

gatorhator4eva writes:

in response to Classof72:

Don't worry(about fumbles)....Be happy.

definitely, i dont care what anyone says, bray is capable of beating bama. that is not the question, the question is can this team execute. we will see.

DavidB writes:

Even though my mind tells me that we will lose Saturday my heart tells me we will fight to the finish and pull out a victory.

I hope my heart is right on this one.

Been a long time since we beat a ranked team.

I understand we have to win to fill the stadium but it would be nice to fill the stadium and motivate players that the fans are behind them.

There is lots of talk about getting a new coach but let's not hire someone on a whim. Has to be a proven sec coach. If going to do it, do it right. It's going to cost 5 plus million to bring in a proven head coach. If we can't do that then keep Dooley another year.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

Only Jim Chaney would look at probably the best and deepest defensive squad in college football and say, "Fumbles are what scares [me] the most."

Can we get rid of this guy already?

3rdn8 writes:

One of the things I love about CFB are the traditions that carry over every season.

The 3rd Saturday of October is one of those. I grew up on the Alabama-Tennessee state line, so this week is always the best week of the fall for me.

I love Alabama football, and the Vols are my favorite rival.

With all of the changes taking place, it is likely that we'll see this weekend go away in the near future. I hope not, but it is almost inevitable.

So...I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Here's hoping both teams play lights-out.

ps- Yes...I do realize this has nothing to do with the article.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Can we get rid of this guy already?

Why do you care what Chaney writes? Your not a VOL FAN.

GatorHater1998 writes:

just read what #1 RB derrick green said about his vols visit. sounds like he'll be a vol! said he has no doubt they will be one of his top picks and he could tell he would get immediate playing time. also said he has a great relationship with graham. Here's one of his comments, "They have the coaching staff, the academics and the atmosphere. They have the offense I'm looking for and I really liked what I saw. They were getting the ball to their backs.

GBO!!!!

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

GBO!!!!

Like I have stated before. Coach Dooley will finish recruiting really big. Landing a running back like Green could keep Dooley his job. I still think Dooley will be our coach for a long time to come.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

Not scoring points should be a concern as well.

Figured I'd point that out given the "duh factor" of these articles.

This offense needs to get first downs and keep the clock moving to shorten the game. Bray seldom looks for the check down so I doubt it happens.

The more shots Yeldon and company get at the defense, the worse this game will get.

VolInIndy writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

It should be pointed out he could have caught more if he didn't have a case of the gator arms. I love him and agree he should have more chances but if he short-arms balls thrown in traffic like Saturday night and doesn't block better than he did on Young's fumble, he will see less chances instead of more and Todd McShay may fall out of love with him.