Mike Strange: Vinnie Sunseri vs. Sal Sunseri will be tough night for everyone

Sal Sunseri

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Sal Sunseri

Vinnie  Sunseri

Photo by Jeri A. Gulsby

Vinnie Sunseri

Sal Sunseri sounded relieved when the conversation turned to his Tennessee "kids" Wednesday.

The ones who have been struggling to get stops at the right time. The ones who have issues to fix before they face No. 1 Alabama on Saturday night.

The hard part of the interview was over, the part talking about his real kids.

For the first time I can recall, a Tennessee coach will be across the field from his son at Neyland Stadium.

Sal Sunseri coordinates Tennessee's defense. Vinnie Sunseri plays safety for the top-ranked defense in America.

"It's gonna be hard on Saturday night when that kid walks on the field, when he hugs me,'' Sunseri said.

The emotion was audible in Sunseri's voice several times Wednesday morning. This is his first year at UT. He left Alabama and Vinnie to take on a tough job for Derek Dooley.

"It's hard any time you, as a father, can't be there with your kids and support your kids the way you want to,'' he said, sounding like a man carrying a heavy burden.

He wasn't just thinking of Vinnie.

Santino "Tino" Sunseri is a senior quarterback at Pittsburgh, a third-year starter who has passed for more than 6,000 yards in his career.

Pitt is Sal's alma mater. He was an All-America linebacker in 1981. That's where he met Roxann, a Pitt gymnast who became the mother of four Sunseri children.

The youngest, Ashlyn, is a freshman on UT's volleyball team. The oldest is Jaclyn, 25.

Tino finished high school in Pittsburgh, the Sunseri family home, while Sal worked for the Carolina Panthers, then took a job at Alabama in 2009.

What with his own schedule, Sal said he's seen Tino play only twice in person.

At least Saturday night he won't be scheming how to make Vinnie's night miserable. But Tino's a quarterback. A Tennessee-Pitt matchup would be Sal's worst nightmare.

"That would be extremely, extremely tough,'' Sunseri said, pondering the possibility. "I'd have to make a decision on that.''

The main reason Vinnie signed at Alabama was his dad. Now his dad's gone. It didn't really hit Vinnie in the face, he said, until a few minutes after the Missouri game last Saturday night when coach Nick Saban first mentioned it was Tennessee week.

Tuesday, Vinnie talked about it.

"Hard, hard, hard, hard,'' he said.

"I knew I'd be playing against an offense and my dad coaches defense, but to be going against the person I love most in this world is really tough.''

The person it's probably toughest on is Roxann.

Two weeks ago, both Alabama and UT had an open date so Vinnie came to Knoxville. Most of the family under one roof, watching Tino and Pitt play on TV. Everybody cheering for the same team.

"I'd never witnessed it before,'' Vinnie said. "She becomes a wreck.''

That was just Pitt. Saturday will be a next-level wreck.

"She's trying to be a wife, she's trying to be a mother,'' Sal said. "She's trying to be strong. She's trying to be supportive both ways, but it's tough.''

Roxann probably will stay home and watch on TV. Tino has an afternoon game at Buffalo. He might get home in time to watch the second half.

At Neyland Stadium, nobody will be pulling any punches.

Vinnie will do everything in his power to keep Tennessee out of the end zone, to keep the Crimson Tide rolling toward another national title.

And across the field, Sal will be bleeding inside for all his kids. For the ones in orange with a tough job to do. And especially for that one kid on the other sideline.

When it's over, there will be an emotional embrace.

"It's competition,'' Vinnie said, "but at the end of the day, we're family. That's the strongest thing.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volnbig11land writes:

The way his Dad's defense is playing, he would stand much less chance of getting injured if he played on their offense.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

I didn't catch whether or not Vinnie is a senior....or what class he is in - maybe I just missed it....

Anyway, if he's an underclassman, maybe he can be reunited with his dad next season and it'll all have a happy ending!

Hope so....then maybe we can stop someone with the new staff....

eb502us#225637 writes:

I'd sure be in favor of giving Sal more time to see his sons play in person. The guy doesn't seem to have a clue of what he's doing.

We have talent on defense, just sad that nobody with a brain is coaching it.

born2ride writes:

I hope Sal enjoys his year at UT.

TrouserCough writes:

in response to born2ride:

I hope Sal enjoys his year at UT.

It will be tough watching his garbage defense. Does anyone care about the father/son angle? I mean this guy is putting the final nail in our program.

Classof72 writes:

Tennessee

189

31.50

Memphis

190

31.67

iowavol writes:

IT's not so much as our Defense is terrible, it's that they are confused. Communication is abysmal, position on the field is a good guess, and that's the good stuff.

vols2#227315 writes:

Sal(the coach) should set out the rest of the season. Send a graduate assistant to take over for tne rest of the year.

Vol_Logic writes:

I think a few of you all are being a bit too harsh on this defense. Keep in mind the 3-4 is probably the most complex scheme to learn initially because of all the pre-snap adjustments it requires (not to mention the new lingo that came with it). Look at UGA in 2010 during Grantham's first year...they finished the season with the 50th ranked defense in the nation after their first year with it. Even the mighty Nick Saban finished outside the top 25 in total defense his first year (#32). Right now, Tennessee is ranked 92 (Yeah I know, that sucks), but when you consider the offenses we're about to face in the upcoming weeks (Troy, UK, Vandy, Mizzou) we should end up right around that same area (I hope). And I don't have the time to crunch the stats, but I bet if you looked at the defensive trends for those teams and compared their improvement rates throughout the season to what ours has been this season, you might be able to see some similarities. Just a thought.

Now you can tell me that I'm drinking "Doolaid" or whatever you want, but look at UGA in 2011. They finished with the #17 defense nationally. Alabama in '08...#6. It wasn't because they had some magical transfers come in, it's because they had a full year to learn a complicated defense. And you can't convince me that they had better talent on defense returning those years than we will next year with Big Dan, AJ, Magitt, and the talent in our secondary. So I guess my point is slow down on the hate... were you guys expecting Chavis in year 1? Come on, get real peter pan...count chocula...numbers are numbers folks, and if these numbers suggest anything, it's that we're only going up from here (and that's not just because they can't get much worse! haha)

**My stats came from Yahoo sports for anyone interested.

RodneyHopper writes:

in response to Vol_Logic:

**My stats came from Yahoo sports for anyone interested.

No more time!!results now!!!I really hope dooley and sal can get it none,but its been almost three years now.I
am not into 10 year plans!

utvols1 writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

Hope so....then maybe we can stop someone with the new staff....

I think the conversation went something like this...."hey son, help your old man out up here.....can you float me the O play book?" "Sure dad- I'll scan it and send out on Thursday"

ALA 44
UT 3

"Nice work Son"

blewissmith writes:

I agree Vol_logic...it was stated at the beginning of the year it would be a tough year for the defense...Who knew Miss St was gonna be good? I see progress and I support Dooley for at least 1 more year!

Orange_Power_T writes:

Granted the 3-4 is the most difficult to learn, but........
Doesn't explain why on third and four we play 10 yds. off the receiver.

Doesn't explain why we only blitz once in a full moon when opposing QB's are having a hayday.

Doesn't explain how RB's are beating outside linebackers to the sidelines and they are able to turn it up field.

I was excited to see Sunseri come in during the off season- but I can't explain why we make mistakes that absolutely kill us. I used to hate the "prevent" defense on third and Chavis, but it almost looks like we implement that on first and second downs as well under Sunseri.

What gives?

RealisticVol writes:

in response to Vol_Logic:

**My stats came from Yahoo sports for anyone interested.

What improvement rate?

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to Vol_Logic:

**My stats came from Yahoo sports for anyone interested.

I see you're using Georgia as a standard for progress on defense. Interesting.

SouthPaVol writes:

With AJ in the middle and the kid from Texas coming in at DB, what we need is a Reggie White-like defensive end to scare the h$!! out of opposing QBs.

My left-handed comment: The #1 JUCO prospect for next year is still available--a DE.

usafvol writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

We have talent on defense, just sad that nobody with a brain is coaching it.

Too bad lots of people on here claiming to be fans have no understanding of football..

usafvol writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Trosertrout; are you really as stupid as you seem or is it an act?

usafvol writes:

Wow, so many idiots on here who understand absolutely nothing about football. Every expert will tell you that changing to a new style defense (4-3 to 3-4) takes a couple of years. What about that do you fools not get? You folks are an embarrassment to real fans so please stop making all of us look like the clueless whiners some of ya'll seem to be. People who know a little about football understand that it takes a little time. Please educate yourselves..

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to usafvol:

Okay USAF, here's your chance to educate me considering I am a "fool".
1) Why would you play a receiver 10 yds deep from the line of scrimmage if it's third and short?
2) Why is it not the outside linebackers responsibility to contain the sideline on a run play?
3) Why would you only blitz twice in a half when the QB has all day to cycle through his progression?

PLEASE, almighty god of football knowledge- educate me.

TooDlems writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

We have talent on defense, just sad that nobody with a brain is coaching it.

Sal knows what he's doing, it's hard to win with slow linebackers and inadequate DB's in the SEC.

rtrchatt writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

Hope so....then maybe we can stop someone with the new staff....

Vinnie is a soph and the problems of your defense rest more with players/talent/execution than Coach Sal. CNS would gladly take him back.

usafvol writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

Okay USAF, here's your chance to educate me considering I am a "fool".

PLEASE, almighty god of football knowledge- educate me.

Hey doofus, here's a thought! Ever think that maybe, just maybe the PLAYERS aren't where they are supposed to be at times? Maybe the players are still a bit confused when the offense shifts and get themselves out of place. Thats why it takes time for new defenses to be effective. Was that easy enough for you to comprehend?

pcshowtime writes:

The switch to the 3-4 was a terrible idea. Do you know if we fire this guy we owe him 2.7 million buyout thanks dave hart. People say wait until year 2. Well Georgia is back to getting gashed again on defense in 2012. The 3-4 is a complex D that requires pro level practice time to implement. Needless to say I am not a fan of the 3-4. As far a the difficulty to implement it is like going from a wishbone to a passing spread offense. Bama gets through it because of 5 star athletes.

I think this team could be 6-0 if dooley would have hired a competent 4-3 DC.

I have also said why make the switch in year 3. If dooley is a 3-4 guy hire a 3-4 DC in year one not justin wilcox. It appears the chief does pretty good with the 4-3 at LSU. I feel it is the worse career move dooley has made since being a Tennessee

pcshowtime writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

I do not think cns would take him back because we just traded coaches with him. We had Lance Thompson on staff at UT. He was Sabans ex-LB coach and when Sal came here he went back to bama. Maybe nick Saban is smarter than all of us and knew who the better coach was.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to usafvol:

why wait until year 3? Dooley Hired wilcox he could have hired a 3-4 guy in year one. You are the one who does not understand football.

usafvol writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

I think this team could be 6-0 if dooley would have hired a competent 4-3 DC.

Totally agree. The 3-4 is very complex and takes lots of study to grasp. I think the D lines up in the right position but when the O starts moving people around and shifting they get out of place. If coach Sal can recruit the players he needs for this new D, we'll be ok but will take a little time. Like many fans, I'm very frustrated with the D but also know that it takes time and patience.

usafvol writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Who said anything about waiting til year 3?

usafvol writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Tell ya what, why don't you give the coaching staff a call; i'm sure they would love your insight!

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to Classof72:

Tennessee

189

31.50

Memphis

190

31.67

I think you lost me at:

"90

Tennessee"

bjohns23 writes:

I am glad he loves his sons. He will have plenty of time to watch them in person when he is out of a job in 2 months. Merry Christmas for the family.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

Okay USAF, here's your chance to educate me considering I am a "fool".

PLEASE, almighty god of football knowledge- educate me.

No expert but I'll take a shot.
1) I'm assuming the slot recevier, not all is played 10 yards off. If the WR goes 5 yards and hooks the QB has to throw the ball long before the WR even slows down to turn, the DB can cover that 5 yards in less time and jump the route. Further, giving 10 yards on the slot prevents getting held up in a pick play by the outside WR.
2) It is, but remember our OLBs line up as DEs and too easily get sucked inside rushing the QB on play action losing sight of the RB up the middle. This is execution, not design. Saw Maggitt do that several times in earlier games.
3) Key to blitzing is disguising it. We don't do it well. QB picks it up and finds the vacated spot for the short throw. Our ILBs are not quick enough to keep up and cover the soft spot in the middle. I think it was the Akron game that after blitzing repeatedly in the first three quarters, they faked the blitz and dropped in to coverage, bang, shut them down. Sometimes it's a chess match.

usafvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

No expert but I'll take a shot.

Bravo; great explanation! For some of these folks it's way easier to just blame the coach rather than accepting logic..

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to Vol_Logic:

**My stats came from Yahoo sports for anyone interested.

There is Logic in your words, and there are many football fans that understand the 3-4 transition. I think we give these negavols too much credit with their logic and lack of understanding. It's easier to criticise than to praise, maybe that is the way some people of raised, see the bad in everything.

I believe CDD's plan is 1 year behind, but I have said this before, the team depth when he arrived SUCKED, it took putting Bray in mid-season over Sims to give any glimmer of hope of a future.

However, everyone lives in a X-Box world..... instant gradification generation. (IGG)

Go Vols!

volinJC writes:

Good coaches adjust their game plans/schemes to the personnel they have. If you don't have the personnel to run a particular scheme, why not change it?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Classof72:

Tennessee

189

31.50

Memphis

190

31.67

I'm guessing ranking of rushing defense, by team, games played, turnovers or rushing TDs. but number don't match NCAA Stats. Not sure of the point either, did Memphis switch to or from 3-4?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to usafvol:

I originally came on here for answers to questions like these. Found out most were just as stupid but unwilling to admit they didn't know, rather just throw garbage. Critical thinking is not a lost art, people are just too lazy to do it.

usafvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Most complaining have never played and have no concept of how tuff the game is mentally and don't understand the various assignments and responsibilities. All they know is what they see on t.v or x-box..

absgovols writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

You read an article like this one and your first reaction is to dis our defense. You are not in the VOL FOR LIFE program - never have been, never will be!

I can appreciate what both Dad and son are dealing with before this game.

GO VOLS!

ashvol7 writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

Hope so....then maybe we can stop someone with the new staff....

Great opportunity for him to get a ride back to Alabama free, and while you are at it take Hart with you! Good bye to the alabama rolltide (laundry detergent) hole in the wall!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to absgovols:

I can appreciate what both Dad and son are dealing with before this game.

GO VOLS!

waaaaaa, what's wrong Sal, hit a nerve?

Wait, you can't be Sal. Usually when someone uses the word "dis" they are young and immature. Am I right?

I posted what I posted because 1. It’s my right and 2. Our defense is not playing up to par (I don’t care about the switch from the 4 – 3 to the 3 – 4). You don’t give up as many points as we have the last two games and honestly think we are onto something good here….

You don't know me or anything about me, so don't question my loyalty to the Vols. I'm certain it's much more than yours. I probably went to my first game before you were even following college football.

And before you retort, no, I don’t know you. And I don’t want to!

You’re dismissed for being irrelevant.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to absgovols:

I can appreciate what both Dad and son are dealing with before this game.

GO VOLS!

p.s.

I'll type this slow for you.

I never mentioned what him and his Dad are "dealing with before the game."

That wasn't my intent. So by you going there in your reply to me is another example of you being irrelevant.

Stay dismissed.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to usafvol:

If you don't have the players to run it,do not run it. Football is not that complicated. Would you run the wishbone with Bray and the other players we have on offense? Stop covering for total incompetence. These coaches make way too much money to be this stupid.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

In response to some of the coaching change desires:

If UT goes after Kirby Smart - simply because that's all Dave Hart knows to do - because Smart has worked with Saban - this is a HUGE mistake.

Saban is Saban and is successful because of Saban - being a great coach does NOT mean that your assistants are somehow going to follow in your footsteps.

This infatuation with Saban assistants/associates is ridiculous.

We don't need the next Saban - we need the answer TO Saban.

Go back to the 1970s. Bryant installed the wishbone in the summer of 1971 and went on a tremendous run - he had talent, the plan, the formula, and won. He also benefitted from the league being down somewhat from top to bottom, but that's not the point.

In 1981, Pat Dye brought to Auburn a tough, hard-nosed, physical brand of football - and the league changed again, to a more physical, defensive league. He had tremendous success in the 80s. Georgia also had it's brand of tough, physical defensive football in the early 80s with the Junkyard Dogs of Erk Russell.

In 1990, Steve Spurrier stood the league on its head by throwing the ball all over the place - the Fun and Gun - in effect, an answer for the defensive dominance of the 1980s.

Tennessee was also out front as a leader in this too -

My point is - what Tennessee needs is not another Saban-esque clone - what Tennessee needs is the answer to Saban. Tennessee needs the next big thing in coaching.

You don't get that by chasing someone else's tail.

wigmeister writes:

in response to RodneyHopper:

am not into 10 year plans!

Vol logic was right and your post shows the idiocy of you and all the other fans like you!

JohnBravo writes:

The 3-4 defense is a wholesale change from the 4-3. Most highschools run 4-3 as do most colleges. When a kid moves up from HS, he already knows the fundamentals of the position he's playing, having done it for 2-3 seasons already.

The 3-4 requires almost everyone to do something a lot differently than what they've done before. It requires them to THINK. It requires them to know what others around them are doing. On the line, you gotta know if the LB is shooting the gap to your right or your left. 'cause you have to create that gap. At LB, you have to know what the other LBs are doing, what the line is doing, what the backfield is doing. Are you dropping into coverage? what's your assignment? etc.etc. etc.

Think of it like going from driving a car to flying a Cessna. There is a steering wheel in both and petals on the floor, but the Cessna is a lot more complicated to drive!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to JohnBravo:

More like going from a American Buick to a Chinese Buick. Everything looks the same but is written in a different language.

oldster writes:

Can we trade Sunseris? I would much prefer having the son over the father.

oldster writes:

in response to born2ride:

I hope Sal enjoys his year at UT.

And the fat buy-out that he will start getting next year. And to think we all thought that Dave Clawson was a bad co-ordinator.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to Classof72:

Tennessee

189

31.50

Memphis

190

31.67

Great post!! That is exactly what I have been thinking.