Phillip Fulmer to be honored at Saturday's game for Hall of Fame induction: 'This is a way to say thank you'

Former UT coach to be honored prior to Alabama game

Former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer talks to players Anthony Parker, left, Josh McNeil and Josh Briscoe, right, during the first half of the 2008 game against Wyoming in Knoxville.

Photo by Wade Payne

photos by the Associated Press

Photo by Wade Payne

photos by the Associated Press Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer is carried off the field by Anthony Parker, left, and Ramon Foster after defeating Kentucky in 2008, his final game as coach in Knoxville.

If there were an unlimited number of tickets available for his induction at the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame, former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer would invite thousands.

But the ceremony at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York on Dec. 4 will accommodate only close friends and family, which is why Fulmer is getting a special recognition before Saturday's game against No. 1 Alabama at Neyland Stadium.

Fulmer, who spent 16 years as the Vols' head coach before being let go in 2008, was selected to the Hall of Fame on his first ballot this summer. He'll be honored along with the 1997 SEC championship team at Neyland Stadium. Quarterback Peyton Manning has an off-week and is flying here from Denver to help honor his old coach.

"I'd like to have everybody go to New York, but I'd have to have 10,000 tickets — there were that many players and coaches and fans and administrators that were so supportive," Fulmer said in an interview with the News Sentinel this week. "This is a way to say thank you to a lot of people this weekend. We'll have a good time and hopefully win a big football game."

Now four years removed from coaching, Fulmer, 62, remains active in private business and is in what he says is the best shape of his life. He doesn't like the idea of retirement, and indeed wishes he was still coaching the Vols right now. But he remains an avid follower of college football and a fan of the Vols.

"It was just a strange time (in 2008). Circumstances happened. The patience or loyalty or whatever, at that particular moment wasn't all it needed to be, in my opinion," he said. "But that's water over the dam. There's nobody (currently at UT) who had anything to do with that. And I'm a Vol. I have been my whole adult life."

Some excerpts from Fulmer's conversation with the News Sentinel:

Q: Can you enjoy football games as a civilian again after being so involved as a participant and coach for so many years of your life?

A: I enjoy football. I've got a lot of players out there playing and I've been to a lot of pro games since I've been out. I enjoy that.

I usually sit in a box or something. I don't think I could sit in the stands and listen to everything that goes on. I go to the UT games and follow college football. I spent too many years of my life invested in it, and I just enjoy athletics period. That hasn't changed. You coach that many years, you've got a lot of connections with a lot of people.

Q: Are you looking forward to Saturday?

A: I'm looking forward to getting to the plaque and seeing the 1997 team. It's going to be great. We have a function on Friday night that's going to be a lot of fun with the '97 team. I certainly encourage people to come early because the team is being honored in pregame. I hope people will come early to the game and see Peyton and all those guys.

Q: Of your 11 wins against Alabama, do any stand out?

A: I remember, probably all of them. It's a great rivalry and part of Tennessee's fantastic football history. Being where I'm from (Winchester), not far from Alabama, I grew up following Alabama as well as Tennessee. I have a deep-rooted appreciation for the rivalry and we did have some success against them that I'm very proud of.

I admired Coach (Gene) Stallings so much coming up as a young coach. Playing against him was a thrill and playing against Alabama was a thrill and winning the games was a thrill.

Q: Is this year's Alabama team beatable?

A: I don't think any team's invincible. They're certainly very good. That's why you have a 60-minute game. It never really matters what your records are. There's opportunities that you have and you do the very best you can to take advantage of it. You see every weekend where somebody turns the ball over a couple times and the other team makes a couple fourth downs and next thing you know, they win. There's always an opportunity in football.

Q: Do you think fans now have a great appreciation of how difficult and how special your run of sustained success was at Tennessee, given the records of the last four years?

A: Well, when you say that, it's like, 'OK, they didn't appreciate it before.' But I don't think that's the case. Everywhere I've gone since the day I left UT, there's been so many thousands of people — you can't go anywhere without meeting them — that have been supportive of me. I'm very, very grateful for that.

Q: Has Dave Hart reached out to you since the new administration came on board here?

A: I've talked to Dave a number of times. Dave and I go way back to his days at East Carolina and then Florida State when we played them for the national championship game. I think there's a very healthy respect there. Both ways. I help him any way I can, when he asks.

Q: Has the door closed on your opportunity to coach or would you still consider opportunities?

A: I don't think you can ever say never. I never thought I'd be out of coaching until I retired, and I'm much too young to be retired. I enjoy work and I'm as healthy as I've been in a long, long time as far as taking care of myself. My energy level hasn't changed. I'm enjoying life, enjoying children and grandchildren. But there's nothing like the smell of the grass of an SEC stadium in the fall.

Q: Has being away from the daily grind of coaching changed your perspective on coaching or life?

A: Our family never looked at it as a job. It was always a lifestyle. We made quality time with family. It might have been with the team somewhere or after practice. So the grind was I guess just part of the job. It's a different kind of profession. It's not unlike people that are dedicated to their job as a clergyman or a doctor. It's not a job, it's a lifestyle.

Q: What are you looking forward to about the ceremony in New York?

A: It's an absolutely great event. We're going to enjoy it as a family and with some good friends. (Fellow inductee and longtime Texas A&M coach) R.C. Slocum and I are great friends. Archie Manning is the head of the National Football Foundation, and we're obviously great friends. And I know most of the people up there, coaches and athletic directors and all the people that would be coming there. I've been doing it for 17 years. It will be really thrilling to be at the front of the Waldorf-Astoria in that setting and with that group of people.

Q: You occasionally post messages on your Twitter account (@phillipfulmer). Is that you or someone else?

A: You know, technology's changing and the world's changing and keeping up is important. My daughter is a communications major and actually does a lot of our communications, working at our office, at our company. I rarely do anything on Twitter, but when I do, she does it. She's not going to just put stuff out there. If it's something I said, or something I know about something that's going on, she'll do that.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mikkim writes:

As much as people may disagree, it was the right time to let him go.....but maybe it is the right time to bring him back. He clearly was a great recruiter and coach for a long time. There is no doubt that he probably learned a lot being away for a while. There is clear precedent for success on return engagements. A Fulmer/Chavis reunion does not sound so bad these days!

volnbig11land writes:

WOW, Walt will be crying tears of joy!

Doves writes:

Great representative of the University of Tennessee, both during his coaching days and since. National championship; beat Alabama 12 out of 16 years; conducted himself honorably during his time here. (Not a Petrino, or a Woody Hayes, etc.) Thanks, Coach!

On another note, I would not be surprised to see him as the head coach at Arkansas next year. Our loss, Arkansas' gain.

born2ride writes:

We made a huge mistake letting Phil Fulmer go. Now we are stuck with Dooley.

FireJohnAdams writes:

Per Wikipedia, "The '98 Vols beat eight bowl teams, including six January bowl teams, four top ten teams, and three BCS bowl-bound teams. The 1998 Tennessee Volunteers are ranked as the #3 college football team of all time by the Billingsley Report computer ratings.[1] The Volunteers ended their season in Tempe, undefeated, becoming only the fourth school in modern college football history to complete a 13–0 season." End Quote.
Now, was it 1951 or '52, was that the "last" Tennessee National Championship before Coach Fulmer? I liked him, still do, both as a Coach and a Tennessean. Congrats Coach!

pcorange writes:

Good coach, great man. Always represented the University of Tennessee with class. I can't believe anyone would think we are better off without him.

pcshowtime writes:

I miss Phil He consistently put a top 15 team on the field. He never went 4-15 in the sec.

SevenT writes:

Tennessee Football had class (and recruiting clout) when Fulmer was in charge. It is sad when you see a giant in the College Football world get stabbed in the back the way UT Fan and Tennessee AD stabbed Fulmer. Enjoy bottom feeding UT Fan.

Fulmer, if you by chance read this, PLEASE consider taking the Kentucky Head Coaching job.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

He got fired because because he stopped doing the job , you would think he's still the coach , his darn name keeps coming up . GO AWAY

volnbig11land writes:

in response to SevenT:

I really tried not to take the bait, but I just couldn't help myself.

You win ONCE in TWENTY SEVEN YEARS and call us "bottom feeders?"

Spoken like a true blue fan. I've been to GA, FL, AR, LSU, AL and KY, and the KY fans were by FAR the most rude.

And that was well before you once in quarter of a century win....

iowavol writes:

in response to FireJohnAdams:

Good post and great screen name. Wish I had come up with that. Adams is the man responsible for Fulmer's demise. I'd love to meet him some time - just me and Adams - for just a few minutes.

GloryDays writes:

Four years after Fulmer was fired, the Tennessee football program is a train wreck. Thanks Mike Hamilton! The state of Tennessee has lots of Alabama fans, sickning! Most fans have given up on Dooley, any hope of turning this thing around is gone!

UkJarhead writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Got news for you. There is a great chance Fulmer or Cutcliffe will be our next coach. Fulmer has been spotted around Lexington lately.

rockytopjeff writes:

Coach Fulmer, you were, are, and always will be the best coach the Vols ever had. Enjoy your life and Congrats on the Hall of Fame, I would LOVE to see you as our Athletic Director. Then maybe we could establish some consistency within the program

TheVolMan writes:

Wyoming

VolzsFan writes:

Those that do not realize that we where totally spoiled by the greatest era in UT Football history will as time goes by. What Coach accomplished in the words of Chavis will never be duplicated at UT. Never. Many already understand it and realize that, other will soon enough. Tenn is not an easy place to win as evidenced by the pre-1992 winning % and hardware. Because of the lack of a recruiting base, it will stay about where it is with a couple of small spikes along the way. Tenn is not as great a job as many around here think. But time is showing us that every season. Thanks Coach, the most successful in school history!!!

posivol writes:

thanks coach,i use to get so mad when we would lose our first game of the year,now i dont expect to win and have accepted losing (even to kentucky)i just really almost dont even care anymore.i think our administration as well as our fan base let you down,it was wrong then and its still wrong now.hope and change seems to be the new law of the land and quite frankly it makes me sick.good luck to you be guy,youll always be welcome at my house.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

Gotta admit, I was not a fan of Coach Fulmer's record during his last few years at UT. But you have to admit that overall, he had an outstanding record at UT and deserves being in the Hall of Fame. Without a doubt.

Some fans would like to see him come back one more time to see if he could resurrect the program. Coach Dooley is likely to have only one more year at best. but I'm not so sure that Fulmer or anyone else would do all that well in 2014, or afterward for that matter.

But who knows? That being said, I think that Tenn may have to settle for another transitional coach (a number of people, including maybe Fulmer himself) before they get the person that they really want.

FWBVol writes:

Phillip Fulmer delivered Tennessee's only consesus National Championship in football of my lifetime and I'm 54.

I'm old enough to remember Doug Dickey as the coach and Phillip Fulmer the player. He has exemplified what it means to be a Volunteer. I wish I could be in Knoxville on Saturday to help honor a man that knows what it is to really give His All for Tennesee.

lafollette37766 writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Yeah right. He was seen at the food court in Fayette Mall with Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhardt. Get a grip. UK does not pay its football coaches worth a dang. The program is one big mess and I do not think Fulmer could bring himself to moving to Lexington. IF UK decides to put the same effort into the football program as they do the mens b-ball the football will start to improve but until then they will be 3rd rate at best.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Phillip Fulmer is one of us...I hope that we can let the past be in the past and give our very successful former coach a much deserved resounding round of applause Saturday. He beat alabubbas tail like no other Vol coach in my lifetime.

123forVOLS writes:

Coach Phil Fulmer is and was a great Tennessee Volunteer. He deserves a lot of credit for all he has done for the University. He is definitely deserving of being in the NCAA Hall of Fame. I for one do not see him returning to UT. He may go to KY or Arky or somewhere else. I don't know. If that occurs, he will still be a great Vol but an opposing coach when we play. While the Vols are currently struggling on the football field, two thoughts; 1)It will not always be this way, 2)It will not magically change back to yesteryear even if Coach Fulmer or Cutcliffe return or even if we got that marquee head coach so many seem to think is watering at the mouth to come to Rocky Top.
The team and program have a ways to go to get where many of us believe they can be and where we want them to be. I just wish the fanbase could be a little more unified. For instance, stop insisting anyone who supports this team and staff enjoy winning. That is ridiculous!
Finally, Thanks Coach Fulmer, enjoy all your accolades. May the next chapter of your life be filled with blessings.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

Coaching for UT was not a job, it was a lifestyle. God, I loved this guy. I hope he finds more success.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

God love you Walt. lol

marVOLous writes:

Everyone who wanted Coach Fulmer fired is getting their just rewards right about now.

But what about us loyal VOLS who would NEVER ask that one of OUR OWN be fired? Where is our reward? Watching us lose week after week to teams we used to dominate is no reward.

It is like we are being punished but did nothing wrong.

vol7278 writes:

MUCH DESERVED!!! LOVE YOU COACH FULMER!!!

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to marVOLous:

It is like we are being punished but did nothing wrong.

Man, you got that right. We would not be any worse right now had we kept Phil. It makes me sick to my stomach every weekend when I see the most unprepared group of talented young men being misdirected for 60 minutes. At least we didnt watch kick offs fall 5 yards in front of us and not realize it was a live ball. At least we didnt have 15 guys on the field against LSU. To think what Phil, Cutcliffe and Chavez could do with the talent we have on this team right now makes me shutter. We dang sure wouldnt be 3-4. We would probably be 7-0, going into the BAMA game in two days. Worse case, we would be 6-1.

14th_rated_sec_coach writes:

10 win coaches do not fall off trees. I dont care who you are no one performs perfectly without a let down every year. Did Fulmer have a couple bad years where he dropped the ball. Yes. Did he earn the right to fix those problems? Yes....He never should have been fired...look at the mess we are in now...thanks Hammy!!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Hamilton was just the trigger man. The Haslams call the shots. Why dont you learn to blame the right folks. John Majors has a NC. The Fulmer hire was the typical cheap Tennessee hire. As it worked out it was a good one until he got lost in changes of football tactics and moved in the wrong direction with Clawson.

SandySpringsVol writes:

Bill Snyder came back to Kansas State and look where they are now. Before he left in 2005, the team posted 4-7 and 5-6 records. They're now ranked 4th in the nation and are 6-0 after finishing 10-3 last year.

Maybe it's time to look at bringing Fulmer back. In a couple of years, he can bring Peyton Manning on as Offensive Coordinator / Assistant Head Coach and put him in line to be the next head coach when Phil retires.

That makes a lot more sense than Gruden, Petrino or some of the other nonsense that shows up here.

govolsn3 writes:

Thanks for all you gave for TENNESSEE. I wish that you could come in as atheletic director and things would be more traditional around campus. I am not wanting you back as head coach because you just will not change with the game. Never gave CLAUSEN a chance to run his offense, way too much the same as years past, sitting on leads will get you beat every time. I will be at the game saturday and pay my respects, more so to see PEYTON, but I just do not see COACH FULMER making any impact on fixing the mess that he left.

SummittsCourt writes:

Fulmer haters can say what they want, but had the stuff shirts and sneaky snake hammy not fired coach Fulmer the football program would be in a much better place right now - and there is no denying that even from the haters.

Sometimes, people need to be taken to a bad place to appreciate the good that they had. Vol fans are there in the bad place now. This is no knock on Coach Dooley he was put in an impossible situation due to the bumbling of hammy and his cronies and I continue to support the coaching staff at UT and their players.

You Fulmer haters got what you wanted and I now you are paying the price. The sad thing about it is that you Fulmer haters are the main ones who are hating on Coach Dooley too.

signalcorps writes:

After the spinning stops,,,old fulmer is the reason Tn. is in the big mess it's in today ,,,,he could try coaching pro's, the browns may give him a try that would be a big time chance taking,if he had went pro long ago as I told him to do he would be ready for the browns......................

pms151 writes:

Fulmer is a prime example of what unchecked ego will do to you.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Curious to see the reaction of the 50,000 Bammers in attendance. It's not hard to guess.

TooDlems writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Yeah it's a shame Fulmer couldn't have stuck around to "School" Saban.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to signalcorps:

There is nothing like a young, ignorant commentary who is illogical as pouring maple syrup over a cowpile,

to make us aware of the 2-bit losers that pushed the gutless Hamilton and the inept, people-pleasing Board of Trustees to fire Fulmer.

Just what was Kiffin's record (making sure you count the certain NCAA two-years' probation that Slive got UT out of if Kiffin and Orgeron left?)

And just what is Dooley's record?

Gotcha. You think that old is reason enough to fire someone. Or maybe your attention span is what educators say is prevalent for the current generation under 35 years old---very much unable to stay on topic for more than a few moments at a time, due to being raised on diets of video games and ADD drugs. So many of them will never be able to develop character enough to stay for the finish. And that cuts MANY comebacks out of the fabric of life.

Fulmer is not the reason at all. He had the program turned after a bad year, and Hamilton made sure Fulmer was fired on Monday of Homecoming, which guaranteed a loss by a team that had struggled but found itself the two weeks before. The reason for the firing was simple: Fulmer and company were on the way to enough wins to guarantee another year, by contract, for Fulmer.

And you, like the ignorant bozos who were continuously disparaging Fulmer's staff, have nothing worthwhile to respond when you look and see that EVERY ONE OF THEM went on to better jobs in coaching, except Jimmy Ray Stevens, the OL coach, who was hired when very few OL coaches were available, to replace Mike Barry.

Guess what: your commentary shows a very, very simplistic line of reasoning---not because of insight, but refusal to research and integrate facts in your argument.

Maybe you want to go play with your X-box or get even more addled with War-craft.

This venue is to much an adult's forum for you and many like you.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Remember though, that Majors had to take 4 or 5 years to rebuild what that Alabama kid Bill Battle destroyed. Majors left the program in much better shape when Fulmer took over than it was in 1977 when Majors arrived. I'm not trying to downgrade Fulmer's success, but rather just stating facts.

smokysbark writes:

in response to mikkim:

I wish I could say that I was not in the crowd that was saying it was time to move on but I was. However, I agree with your comments completely. I think deep down, he would say that he needed a break also. I have tried to stay off the "fire Dooley" bandwagon and just comment about the "on the field" things that are happening. I believe Dooley (in a press conference on Monday) hit the nail on the head when he admitted that his staff concentrated on recruiting offensive playmakers to compete in the SEC and he feels that he now has 9-10 legitimate SEC caliber players on that side of the ball. By contrast, he says they fell down on recruiting defense and would admit that they have about 3-4 SEC caliber players on defense. I believe he is working his tail off to get this team to compete and he may just do it. I don't want to be disappointed in myself for yelling to get him out, fire him, and then he takes another team to the top of the mountain. I don't think that will happen but I also didn't think getting rid of Fulmer was a bad idea at the time and now here we are.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring him back. Who knows ... worked out really well for Kansas State. Go Vols!

PUL4VOLS writes:

The key for UT football is...MOVING FORWARD. We will know at the end of this year about the Dool-era. I support the team and him. I DO NOT ENJOY not winning(which was what I meant to put in an earlier post). NO ONE ENJOYS LOSING! Yet the whole reason the program did not Move Forward when Coach Fulmer was let go is Poor Poor planning. My hope is that will not be the case with Coach Dooley whenever the time comes. We know the money-men/women have all the power. But it is obvious they did not use their heads in how Fulmer was released and the next coach whom I only refer to as Coach Twinky SoftCakes, came in. It was not much better when Twinky left but we had little choice. So...it should be onward and upward but will be only if...proper planning takes place and a real high level upgrade replacement is pretty much in place before Dooley is let go or leaves. That Does not include the names Petrino nor Tubberville. But then that is just my opinion which is like noses, pretty much everyone has one and they are never just alike. I just wish the nega-mania could be squelched until we see what the final record of this team is at the end of the year. What if...Alabama? What if...South Carolina? Then, do we hush and stop worrying about beating Vanderbilt? It is a long haul. If the team stays together well through these next two games, and takes care of business the final four games, we likely will not have a lot of new head coach talk. If they slip up in Nov. to Troy, MO,Vandy, or KY; it is likely another matter and the powers that be will no doubt, BE. Again, I just hope intelligent plans are being made.

WNCVOLFAN writes:

The fallout continues from firing Phillip Fulmer. If Mr. Fulmer was still the coach the climate at Neyland stadium, and among the fans would be entirely different. If Dave Hart has half a brain he'll bring Mr. Fulmer back.

tnbigg writes:

My name is TNBIGG and I approve this message: Like I have said over the past few weeks and increase the volume now; I was for Coach Fulmer's removal then because he had lost his focus. The lesson was a lesson of clarity. If he were to be brought back now, his passion & zeal would be stronger than ever! He is a VOL in every aspect. We need a VOL to lead us back. If Coach Fulmer returned, without a doubt, Coach Chavis would return. Those two, in a reunited scenario would create incredible enthusiasm and recruiting would once again skyrocket. May the former players who wrote the letter of support back then reunite and increase their message to the level of thunder. We need REAL TENNESSEE FOOTBALL. For all those who only remember Coach Fulmers last years...you should try to remember the years of glory that he brought us (NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP & umpteen other glories). Then, once your bitter roots have been slaved, imagine if you are able, a refreshed Coach Fulmer with a passion to return to the glory years. Human dynamics my friends. IT WOULD WORK! Bring back COACH FULMER NOW - Open the door for a return to REAL TENNESSEE FOOTBALL

tnbigg writes:

PS - Attention trolls, fantasy football supposed geniuses, Madden football supposed geniuses and pee wee football coaches...your reply is rejected. I only accept feedback from people who really know football and human performance dynamics. This issue above your pay grade...

gglardon50#417841 writes:

Was on a flight to Lexington last week,Fulmer was seated a row ahead of me. I could see that he and his wife were looking at real estate books . Flight was out of Atlanta,so can't say it was Lexington homes they were looking at.

dlobh writes:

There's a potential problem Saturday. If several Vol fans stay away and the stadium is about 1/3 crimson, the Bama fans will mercilessly boo Fulmer. They HATE him!

zwarriorprincess writes:

Who from Tennessee made the decision to honor Fulmer at the Alabama game????? Come on! Of all games to select for this ceremony.... This is just insult to injury. We are rivalries with Alabama but we should also be good team players. Besides, shouldn't this be a Homecoming ceremony??? Homecoming or ANY OTHER game BESIDES Alabama would be much more appropriate. Someone needs to rethink this decision - it only makes us look bad.

TooDlems writes:

in response to dlobh:

Karma is special.

kwcoach writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Let this post sink in again. We have beaten Ole Miss, Ky and Vandy under Dooley. Fulmer had 12 wins against Bama. Average under Fulmer was 9-3 or 8-4 (with class). I would take that again in a heartbeat.

dlobh writes:

in response to TooDlems:

Karma is special.

You're right - getting caught cheating was just what Bama deserved.

Bigger_Al writes:

Congratulations Coach. I never thought I'd miss the Fulmerisms, but I do. Good to hear "Coach-speak".