Tennessee football fans paint positive message

A group of Volunteer fans headed by Trish Nabers gathered Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012 at the rock on campus to paint a positive message for the players and coaches.   (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

A group of Volunteer fans headed by Trish Nabers gathered Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012 at the rock on campus to paint a positive message for the players and coaches. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Positive message on UT rock

A group of Volunteer fans Lindsay Serfass, left, Jerrin Babers, and Trish Nabers celebrate Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012 after repainting the rock on campus with a positive message for the players and coaches.   (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

A group of Volunteer fans Lindsay Serfass, left, Jerrin Babers, and Trish Nabers celebrate Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012 after repainting the rock on campus with a positive message for the players and coaches. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Trish Nabers gets a hug from player Dontavis Sapp and Zach Fulton, right, after they walked by and saw the newly painted rock Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012. A group of Volunteer fans headed by Nabers came on campus to paint a positive message for the players and coaches. Nabers said, 'I'm tired of all the negativity, we love and support our players and coaches.' (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Trish Nabers gets a hug from player Dontavis Sapp and Zach Fulton, right, after they walked by and saw the newly painted rock Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012. A group of Volunteer fans headed by Nabers came on campus to paint a positive message for the players and coaches. Nabers said, "I'm tired of all the negativity, we love and support our players and coaches." (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Local Volunteer fan Trish Nabers decided she was tired of "all the negativity" around the Tennessee football team.

Determined to help shed the negative comments, Nabers invited several friends and one of her daughters to help repaint the rock on the University of Tennessee campus. Armed with boxes of white, black, and orange spray-paint cans the group gathered on Wednesday afternoon to share a positive message for the players and coaches.

In a little over one and one-half hours the group had covered the negative comments and replaced it with, "We believe in our players and coaches, Vol for Life."

Patti Smith, who earned both of her degrees from UT said she just wanted to help the effort. Lindsay Serfass, who was a UT cheerleader from 2001-2005, joined the group along with Nabers and her daughter Jerrin Nabers. Neither Nabers nor her daughter attended UT noting they were just big fans and supporters.

"I'm tired of all the negativity, we love and support our players and coaches," Nabers said.

Several players including Zach Fulton, Dontavis Sapp and Justin Hunter happened by while the painting was happening and seemed pleased, giving Nabers a hug before moving along. Nabers said, "I hope they will leave the positive message til Saturday."

sambad writes:

I am so proud of Patti Smith and her friends. It is good to see that some of our fans are Vols For Life. GO VOLS-BEAT BAMA.

TKO writes:

I would believe a little more if the defense could tackle.

sambad writes:

OOPS. Didn't mean to leave Trish, Lindsey and Jerrin out of the group.

jumboliyah writes:

So do you support them enough to donate thousands of dollars a year for the privilege it buy tickets? If your support is limited to painting a rock you are just blowing air. The decision will be based upon how satisfied the people who pay THOUSANDS of dollars a year to see team worthy I of wearing the orange jersey play.

I am one of those fans...a paying donor fan...and I assure you I am sick and tired of sending THoUSANDS of dollars a year, then thousands more for the tickets and parking passes just to watch players so unprepared they don't know the rules (you have to catch ja kickoff or it is a live ball) where to line up for punt formation or defense etc etc. no more dollars from me...I'm done!

RockyTFrustrated writes:

I get on here and gripe because I love my Vols. You paint a rock. To each his own.....Tho, if someone told me in order to beat Bama I had to fly up to NYC, drop my pants in the middle of Times Square and pee on the street at High Noon....I'd do it. How's THAT for support?!

papavol writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Great, I know some coaches up the road in Nashville that would love to have your "thousands"..

I support the players and coaches but won't be opposed to a change. With that being said, the fact that you came to a message board to promote the fact that you pay money to the organization makes you a huge turd.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

So I guess you pretty much own the team huh. Us regular VFL's got nothin' ta say? Maybe you do what you say and maybe you don't. I don't care. I for one wouldn't care if you took your "money" elsewhere.

VolsForLife27 writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Glad to see you go, would rather you jump on the bandwagon for another team and free up your seats for someone who will support the Orange no matter what. Open your eyes and realize that we have made huge strides from where the program was at the end of 09. I would rather see a team who is a mistake away from beating every team they play than getting blown out of the stadium before the game even starts. And this is from someone who is a proud donor of thousands to the university and travels annually to support the team away as well as home.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Sweet! Assuming your seats are better than mine, I might get to move up next year.

Here's some perspective, not that you asked for it...

...Penn State arguably has as good, if not better, of a football tradition than UT. Their recent history on the field, let's say the last 15 years, has left much to be desired (somewhat like UT's most recent decade) yet they still fill their stadium and support their team. So now let's just consider the last year. There is no fan base that has a bigger excuse to stay home than Penn State, yet through unspeakable adversity and embarassment, they still go and support their team. But you're staying home because you don't like our coaches?

That's cool! Just making sure I understand.

Tru138 writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

AMF!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to RockyTFrustrated:

I heard somewhere that in order to beat Bama this weekend you'd have to fly up to NYC, drop your pants in Times Square and pee on the street at High Noon. Without that we won't stand a chance. I know you can't believe everything you here so I wouldn't worry if I was you. But just in case???

TheStupidPolice writes:

As soon as I read the headline and saw the picture, I knew this was the work of a woman. SMH

orangepeel writes:

Wonder if they will feel the same way after ala and S Carolina stop our butts.

GatorHater1998 writes:

just read what #1 RB derrick green said about his vols visit. sounds like he'll be a vol! said he has no doubt they will be one of his top picks and he could tell he would get immediate playing time. also said he has a great relationship with graham. Here's one of his comments, "They have the coaching staff, the academics and the atmosphere. They have the offense I'm looking for and I really liked what I saw. They were getting the ball to their backs.

GBO!!!!

thevoice writes:

in response to papavol:

It's those supporters with the money that actually make the decisions, or at least make them easier for someone. Kinda makes me wonder if you added up all the current donations from the Dooley supporters and the I've-had-enough folks, who would have more. I stopped donating because of the lack of return on my investment.

It's easy to say give Dooley more time if you don't have any money invested. Same goes for predictions. If everyone had to bet $5,000 on the game this weekend, I doubt any posters on here would put their own hard-earned money on the Vols. But it sure is easy to write Vols 40 Bama 17.

allvol8 writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

GBO!!!!

Great news! Thanks!

WhitePineVol77 writes:

in response to TKO:

I would believe a little more if the defense could tackle.

Amen

SummittsCourt writes:

Love it!!!!!! Vol for Life!

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

How far did you go in school ?? privilege it buying tickets...What does that mean?? THoUSANDS ??? what is that ?? Stay home !! We don't need fans like you !!!

CrankE writes:

There are still some who "believe" in Obama too.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Good......Bye

CrankE writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

KnoxNewzPravda will probably delete this comment soon, but you're right on the money.

Who needs facts? We BELIEVE with multiple exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!

Ceramic Orange Dog is working.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

Dave Hart. Get off our board. We don't tolerate discrimination here BOY!

pcorange writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

Here's some perspective, not that you asked for it...

That's cool! Just making sure I understand.

Excellent point. I got on here after the Florida game and posted about how I'd wasted my last thousand bucks on this team as long as Dooley was coach here. That is the wrong attitude, and your post makes a great point. Penn State has been competetive this year when a lot of people didn't think they would, and fan support may be why.

jkreis#632254 writes:

Some of the so called fans on here are just wimps! For those of us who lived through, and remember, the Bama win streak from 71 until we finally won in 82, we've been there before. We did't like it, but we never stopped getting fired up for the game and I can honestly say that every year I convinced myself that we were going to get the win no matter how big an underdog we were. And that's what it's going to take, fans and players that believe despite the odds, that we can get the victory. GO VOLS - BEAT BAMA!

CrankE writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

Here's some perspective, not that you asked for it...

That's cool! Just making sure I understand.

So your perspective is to compare UT's troubles to those of a too big to fail instutution that actively covered up for a retired employee who was a serial, predatory, pedophile for the sake of protecting an illusion. The illusion of integrity, honor, and winning all wrapped up in a single human being who was hoisted upon a pedestal as if he were pure and spotless?

I just want to make sure that I understand.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

A painting on a rock doesn't make Dooley a better coach. It's called "Deflect not Correct". What in this world has happened to make accountability wrong?

It is unfair to Dooley to make beating either Bama or SC and going 4-0 in Nov a requirement to keep his job. No matter how badly Bama or SC thumps us, it should be irrelevant. Bottom line, Dooley showed all we needed to see in Lexington last year. This year was never about improving a little. It was a chance to change our minds. Without a miracle, his chances are gone.

I wish him the best, but I believe his fate was sealed in Starkville. Having said that, he has a chance to get 1 more year if Hart cannot get a deal in principle with a crowd pleasing hire. But I don't see Dooley having any chance whatsoever to solidify himself long term in Knoxville. I hope Hart has already found his guy because, while 2012 was about whether Dooley could turn the corner, 2013 will be about which week Dooley gets fired.

volsindallas writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Oh my...what a liar you are.

GO VOLS

waldeen_hinson#435189 writes:

Thank you ladies!! I'm with you all the way!!

GO BIG ORANGE!!

ALL_VOL75 writes:

This much pain doesn't come without alot of love! It doesnt help to be negative, but at the same time we should NEVER lower expectations on The Hill. GO VOLS!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to VOLFLIAM:

sad thing is that YOU DO NEED FANS LIKE HIM AND MYSELF. Who/how else do you think UT is gonna get the money to buy out Dooley and hire a new coach through their "donations" to the "Tennessee Fund" to even have the ability to buy season tix???

Boy...you are just plain stupid.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

That is good. It accomplishes nothing bashing the players and coaches and for you people who are tweeting garbage to Tyler Bray, stop! Go find him and if you have something to say, say it to his face!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

The pain of the loss to Miss State has faded a little....just a little. I keep replaying some of our mistakes over in my head and had they just gone the other way, the game would have been a W. I still love my Vols and the University of Tennessee.

KICK THE **** OUT OF BAMA BOYS!! WE BELIEVE!!

dvols writes:

1982

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

KICK THE **** OUT OF BAMA BOYS!! WE BELIEVE!!

uhhhh....after the Miss St game you said you were collectively through. Don't go back and forth. You already had little credibility consistently supporting a losing coach...but at least you WERE consistent. Now you want to come back and say what a supporter you are??? You've just lost your consistency....the only thing you had going for you!!!!

PureOrange writes:

Thanks ladies. Great to see real fans at work. It really gets old seeing all the "so-called" fans on here trying their best to destroy our team with all the negative garbage. Go Vols!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to PureOrange:

The "so-called" fans (as you like to refer to) aren't trying to destroy the team. The UT Athletic Department did that all on their own. Thanks for trying though.

Those of us who have graduated from UT, donated to UT, and paid $$ to attend games deserve a better product in the coaching positions, as well as, they product on the field. You are just a poser. Sorry man.

gwavescVOL writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Sour grapes over a decision YOU made, I'm sure your 'thousands' will buy you a seat back on the wagon soon enough

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Oh give me a break....well if it makes her feel like she's contributed something, go for it. So what?

GoVols025 writes:

in response to Stooley_Dinks:

if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd be a pretty smart fella'. Likewise, if you were twice as smart as you really are, you'd still be attending special classes.

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

bye.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

So what does coming on here whining, complaining, and trashing our Vols accomplish? Go tell somebody who can do something about it.

eduardo writes:

I wonder if these same people painted over the TRUTH messages the last couple of days?? I mean gimme a freakin break Believe in this Coaching Staff?? I am sorry lady but I choose to think for myself. What I see is a program in shambles that has no hope of getting turned around. The TRUTH is he is a losing coach! He should have been gone after the Kentucky debacle last yr. I challenge all those that see the TRUTH to go paint over this bunch of lies on the ROCK! FIRE FOOLEY NOW!!!

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to CrankE:

There are still some who "believe" in Obama too.

Only 47%. lol

Dooley only needs 2 people that do, and because they understand the restraints on the man, he'll have that belief for a few more years.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

KICK THE **** OUT OF BAMA BOYS!! WE BELIEVE!!

I'm with you BOF76. Can't change the past, but we can sure as hell cheer for our Vols.

Vols_fan_27 writes:

For those that think Dooley will be gone, I think the only way he is gone is if he goes 5-7 this year. This article may show a little insight to the financial obligations the University is facing, not to mention still paying for the Pearl buyout. just don't know financially if the University is ready to take on that payment along with the salary of a new coach which will have to be big as well. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Sure you are ...sure you are!!! Hahahahahahah

TrouserCough writes:

Can she coach defense?

GoVols025 writes:

in response to eduardo:

To quote Col. Jessup, "You want the truth ... you can't handle the truth." The truth is that when Derek Dooley got here he found a program in shambles, thanks to the arrogance of fans like you and self-centered coaches like Phillip Fulmer and Lane Kiffin. Read the words carefully ... Fulmer and Kiffin left OUR UT football program in shambles. Absolute, total shambles. Coach Dooley had no choice but to play 18 freshmen his first year in order to even field a team. Yet dorks like you come on here and DEMAND, yes DEMAND, that Dooley be fired becasue he can't fulfill your expectations. Expectations that you expect to be fulfilled by 18, 19, and 20 year old kids. Well, little fellar, ain't you just special ... you play keyboard tyrant and DEMAND that Dooley be fired. Big freakin' whoop.

No, little fellar, I don't like the shape our UT football program is in either. But coming on here and ranting and raving about fans who are trying to show support for the Vols is not going to accomplish a dang thing ... except to prove that you are an ignorant fool.

Tell me something eddyuardooooo, if the KNS demanded that you post your real name, your real address, and your real telephone number in your public profile, then what would you come on here and DEMAND? You'd probably be crying for your mommy because big, ugly, angry people are knocking on your door DEMANDING that you come out and "play." But, no, you sit behind a keyboard and DEMAND that Coach Dooley be fired and trash fans who support the Vols. And that's how you make yourself feel important ... hiding behind a keyboard.

How about this ... I DEMAND that you STFU. I'm talking to YOU eddyuardooooo.

Vol69 writes:

in response to CrankE:

There are still some who "believe" in Obama too.

Yes i am one of them. I also am very happy to support him and the Vols.