John Chavis urges Tennessee's fans' support through rough patch

Ex-UT player, coach: Tough times are tests

David Goddard/News Sentinel

Photo by David Goddard

David Goddard/News Sentinel Former Tennessee head coach Johnny Majors, right, talks with former Vols' defensive coordinator John Chavis at the Knoxville Quarterback Club's meeting on Monday. In addition to coaching with Majors, Chavis also played under him at UT in the 1970s.

John Chavis on Tennessee's 1997 SEC Championship

LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis spoke to the Knoxville Quarterback Club on Monday and recalled many of the good times he had while playing and coaching for the Vols.

Like his first day at practice under former UT coach Johnny Majors, who also attended the Quarterback Club luncheon.

And like his recruiting trips while coaching under Majors, and the SEC championships he helped win under Majors and former coach Phillip Fulmer, and the 1998 national championship he helped win under Fulmer.

Chavis hardly mentioned UT's current football situation — a team that is struggling (3-4, 0-4 SEC), a fan base that is uneasy (at best), and a head coach ( Derek Dooley) who may be coaching to save his job.

About the only time Chavis mentioned this year's Vols was when he went through a rundown of SEC results Saturday and came to the UT-Alabama game.

"Alabama, I won't say it," Chavis said. "I'll skip that."

There were some chuckles from the crowd, but just a few. Folks at the Quarterback Club are there for enjoyment. Not much of that in UT's 44-13 loss to the Tide.

Chavis instead chose to stay positive — which meant he talked a good deal about his time at LSU, where he is in his fourth season.

Chavis plays a big role in the nation's No. 6-ranked team, one that beat No. 22 Texas A&M 24-19 on Saturday. His sour ending at UT — a 5-7 season in 2008 when Fulmer was fired — is a distant memory.

"Obviously, I enjoy my experience working with Coach (Les) Miles," Chavis said, "and being in Baton Rouge has been a great opportunity for me and I'm loving every minute of it, an opportunity to coach really outstanding players and compete for championships."

When the luncheon ended, Chavis spent several minutes talking with Majors and with Todd Kelly, who played defensive back at UT (1989-92) under Chavis.

Afterward, Chavis talked with the media and was asked if it pained him to see UT's fall in football after playing and coaching in the program for so long.

"Listen, I want nothing but the best for Tennessee unless we're playing 'em," Chavis said. "I had a lot of pride in this place, and had a chance to talk with Coach Majors just a few minutes ago, and it kind of reminded me of when we were working together, me as a player and he as a coach, to get Tennessee back to where it needed to be and how special those times were. You don't like to see anybody or anything that you care about go through tough times, but tough times are just tests for us."

UT's next test is Saturday at No. 17 South Carolina (TV: ESPN, noon). The Gamecocks (6-2, 4-2) are 14-point favorites. Not good odds for UT fans badly in need of a victory.

So what would Chavis tell UT's restless fan base?

"You've got to support your program," Chavis said. "Sometimes it's not going to be exactly the way you want it, and it's tough, and listen, I understand, nobody likes losing. Nobody feels good after it, but you've got to support your football team, and you've got to support your program both with your presence there and financially too because college football has turned into a big-money business, and there's a lot of bills to be paid."

Dave Link is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Observer43 writes:

It should make us all wish we could have a second chance and do things over. Also, John Chavis is a class act!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Chavis showed nothing but class in that interview. He would have had every right to criticize UT and instead he praised them for all the great memories..Thank you John for being a Vol, and nothing but the best for you in the future..VFL!

NorthwestVol writes:

Thanks Coach Chavis.

SavTnVol writes:

Well said Chief...

Titan writes:

Don't believe Todd Kelly played DB - Outside Linebacker if I recall correctly. Maybe someone is looking ahead?

rockypop writes:

"...you've got to support your program both with your presence there and financially too because college football has turned into a big-money business, and there's a lot of bills to be paid."

With all due respect to Coach Chavis, paying the bills is not what supporting your college team should be all about. The NFL, maybe.

But, I understand what he is saying, and realistically, he is right. The unfortunate part is that college football has turned into a beast that can never be satiated. And, we're all responsible - fans, the media, retailers, etc. And, to hear Dave Hart say that UT needs even more to just stay even in the SEC is adding fuel to the fire.

I realize there is no way the genie can be put back in the bottle, but at some point, there is going to have to be a voice in the wilderness that convinces the forces that shape college football that unbridled spending cannot be allowed to continue.

All you have to do is look at some of the posts on this board and you see what the beast has done:
• Good fans of UT viciously attacking one another
• Calls for spending whatever it takes to hire the next Nick Saban
• Incredulity that other programs in the SEC may have "more to offer" than UT
• And, the real clincher - widespread, unrestrained vile criticism of UT's student athletes

Two years ago, I was headed to the UT-Alabama game and had to stop for gas in West Knoxville. While I was there, an Alabama car pulled up for gas, and the station owner came out and told them there was no gas available for Alabama people that day. And, he brought out a couple of pretty big boys to make sure these folks left. The sad part was that it was a family with two little boys.

Sure, that's an extreme example. But, it's representative of what college football has become. Fans will call it passion. I would call it insanity.

FWBVol writes:

Todd Kelly was a defensive end at Tennessee not a defensive back.

That said, John Chavis is a class act that has always represented the Vols well. It would be nice to have him back on staff again one day, but nobody could blame him if he finishes his career at LSU. The state of Louisana has great athletes and LSU has the pick of them. Miles gets the players and then lets Chavis run his own defense. And, LSU has deep enough pockets in its athletic budget to match anything that other schools might offer.

Finally, about the only things Chavis hasn't done in football is coach in the NFL or be a college head coach. And as for the head coach, at this point in his career, I'd be surprised if that happened.

thevoice writes:

in response to rockypop:

• Good fans of UT viciously attacking one another
• Calls for spending whatever it takes to hire the next Nick Saban
• Incredulity that other programs in the SEC may have "more to offer" than UT

"And, the real clincher - widespread, unrestrained vile criticism of UT's student athletes"

Are you talking about Dooley's comments today or the fanbase?

rockypop writes:

in response to thevoice:

Are you talking about Dooley's comments today or the fanbase?

Give me a break.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

in response to Titan:

defensive end

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to titletownz:

Hey Einstein, didn't Foley tell Spurrier his services were no longer needed after he inquired about the UF coaching vacancy at the end of his NFL stint at Washington? And guess what, FU stood behind Foley and stabbed the Ol' ball-coach in the back..At least UT fired Hamilton for his stupid decisions..Next!

pcorange writes:

Nice article. Reckon there was any other reason for Chavis being in town?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

Nice article. Reckon there was any other reason for Chavis being in town?

Hart could do a lot worse..

Pullingguard writes:

in response to pcorange:

Nice article. Reckon there was any other reason for Chavis being in town?

Don't get any ideas for he is a good coach, but not the top dog of a school like UT.

eb502us#225637 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Chavis wouldn't be a bad choice if he'd hire a real offensive coordinator and get out of his way.

Lets face it, if Chavis was coaching this defense, Alabama would have been our first loss.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

It always seemed to me Chief didn't want to be a head coach. If he did, he could have done it a long time ago. I think he just really loves coaching defenses and isn't interested in all the managerial BS the head coach has to deal with.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to pcorange:

Nice article. Reckon there was any other reason for Chavis being in town?

Stop it!!!!!

MidTennVol writes:

John Chavis is my first choice to replace our current coach if things don't work out -- but I hope they do.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to titletownz:

Be that as it may...when Meyer wanted to guit the first time, Foley showed Meyer what it would cost Urban to step down. Urban said ok, I'll show you what it'll cost for me to stay.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

My first choice is Charlie Strong as HC and Coach Chavis as DC.

RockyTFrustrated writes:

Did I read this article right? Stay the course? Steady? Head up (er, MAN UP)? If I were an employee at a rival of Tennessee's, I'd say the exact same thing Chavis did. He was speaking, after all, in Knoxville. Did we expect him to say otherwise?

Do you think any of us wanted to see Mike Shula ever leave Alabama?

He's doing a great job, we told Tide Nation. You need to support your university.....

I went to UT as well as Chavis. With all due respect to an ex-employee fired under harsh circumstances, I have a very different take on all this.

Dooley takes down Spurrier my tune changes entirely. He was brought here to win. Chavis et al had stopped doing that. They had to go.

John_10065 writes:

in response to RockyTFrustrated:

Do you think any of us wanted to see Mike Shula ever leave Alabama?

Chavis might have been part of the same crew that was hit or miss for a few years but the defense was consistantly one of the best in the nation and that was his baby.

There might have been no way to keep Chavis at the time, we'll never really know for sure. But no one that ever watched even those really bad seasons before Fulmer left could say honestly that the defense was our problem.

radiomafia#577548 writes:

Wow after watching this from a few months back, I think we might have a shot at Gruden.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to pcorange:

Nice article. Reckon there was any other reason for Chavis being in town?

Here we go with the rumor mill. lol.

govols0463 writes:

in response to RockyTFrustrated:

Do you think any of us wanted to see Mike Shula ever leave Alabama?

Chavis last defense at UT was ranked 4th in the country in total defense. "They" may have stopped wining, but he didn't.

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

in response to pcorange:

Nice article. Reckon there was any other reason for Chavis being in town?

Just off the press!

Yes, Chavis was here for a reason! The touchdown club paid his expenses and gave him a check for speaking.

Same as was happening in about a 50 other places across the nation...

1939flyingwedge writes:

in response to rockypop:

• Good fans of UT viciously attacking one another
• Calls for spending whatever it takes to hire the next Nick Saban
• Incredulity that other programs in the SEC may have "more to offer" than UT

....well said rocky, some fans take a loss personally. Just like the ones who's kids play football, they believe their kids play is a reflection of their own character.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Todd Kelly was an outstanding defensive END for Tennessee - he never played a down on any level as a defensive back - another case of a writer not doing his homework or having no real knowledge of Tennessee football history.

In addition, Kelly did not play for Chavis - Chavis was the linebackers coach during that time. Doug Mathews, Larry Lacewell, and Larry Marmie were Kelly's defensive coordinators.

zzzzzzz.....

laraccoon writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

this many years after Fulmer got canned and your still bellowing about it , geez dude get over it and move on .

laraccoon writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

in your post you wrote kids wanted change and got their wish . Hamilton and the rich Boosters that pulled the plug on Fulmer were hardly kids but no matter what its done , what is talking about it forever going to change ?

gglardon50#417841 writes:

Just heard that when John Gruden flew over Knoxville going to his Monday night game he actually looked out the window when he flew over. NOW that's a sure sign he is going to be the next coach here. Done deal.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Well, I agree that Chavis' comments were indicative of the character and personality he showed at UT. Still, what good would it have done if he HAD gone off on the school or the current administration? The guy who fired him is long gone. None of that had anything to do with Dooley. As a proud alum, why would he want to say anything that would lead people to think he wasn't one anymore? Sometimes the best thing a proud man can do is turn the other cheek. Besides, he just might BE the UT coach next year--stranger things have happened. Why burn potential bridges out of pure spite?

laraccoon writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

call me all the names you want but at least i aint living in the past , in my opinion that is the symbol of a fool ! you aint worth any more of my time "Alumnus" .

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

That's the way I always thought of Chavis. It is hard to get through the heads of all these fantasy-football fans that not EVERYBODY in the world necessarily wants to RUN it. Some people are lucky enough to find their niche in life and the satisfactions thereof without wanting EVERYTHING else. In fact, there is probably a good deal of evidence that many of the most highly-successful coaches and "master of the world" business tycoons are, at some level, seriously disturbed individuals. Monomaniacs are often like that.

manningberrychism writes:

I just want some stability and integrity in our program. I love my VOLS.. I just wish all the young men wearing orange and white appreciated what it means to wear those colors... Henderson, Witten, Manning, Berry, Mayo, Foster, Hardesty, Jackson....

in response to titletownz:

The fact that he didn't just shows how much better a person he is than you are, which wouldn't be hard.

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

My first choice is Charlie Strong as HC and Coach Chavis as DC.

That's two defensive guys. I would love to see either one as the DC, but the other main guy needs to be an offensive-minded type.

in response to radiomafia#577548:

I saw that video some time ago. Gruden is a national media guy now. Being interviewed by local media, he would have found something nice to say about inner-city Newark. Don't get me wrong, I like Gruden and would love to have him, but we will see the sun rise in the West before he becomes HC here.

woodwr#217203 writes:

in response to titletownz:

John Chavis should be offered whenever the HC position is open.

ClearVol writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

zzzzzzz.....

Who cares?

VOLFTBL writes:

I miss the Chief!

RockyTFrustrated writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

KIDS???? Who are you? An Old Fart? Clueless? You choose. Both apply after reading all your superior posts.

I refuse to live with mediocrity. Whether it was Fulmer, Dooley, or any "fan" who claims maintaining a status quo is acceptable.

With your wise and sage advice Alabama should have kept Shula. But no, Alabama said enough. No more mediocrity. Yet "fans" like you would have otherwise.

One parting question for you: what did you think of Mike Hamilton's job as AD? Should we have given him one more year?

Thanks, from one of us "kids"

takespix writes:

in response to titletownz:

He fits right in the string of the best of UT, run off by a school that listens too much to its moronic portion of the fan base.

RockyTFrustrated writes:

in response to Icthus:

Very well put.

Without realizing it you have proven right those of us who don't want to keep it status quo. So many of you now want to rewrite history and say firing Fulmer was wrong---mostly due to the fact that Chavis was here yesterday. And, compared to the records we thought paltry back then, those lean years don't seem so lean anymore compared to the ones now. Revision thy name is an SEC fan.

Misty-eyed fans wearing rose colored glasses tinted orange still is rose colored glasses. You have your opinion. I have mine. I just don't want to give Dooley all this time to right something we know he won't. We gave Fulmer this great leeway for 5 or 6 years and he won enough to keep the wolves fed for a bit. But we all knew that something wasn't right.

It was time (overdue) for Fulmer to go. It's time for Dooley to go. I have 20 yrs mgt experience. If you didn't produce, you were let go. I don't necessarily enjoy the world this way. And it is just a game. But coaching turnover only scares me if we replace with something worse. Yet you don't know that until you get them in and they show what they can do. So, you keep hunting till you find the right fit.

To be apprehensive to do so on the premise that you might get worse means that you will pretty much have mediocrity---yes, that word again. Mediocrity was taught to me as not being good. Yet it seems like on here there's a group of fans who would rather rewrite history and rub it in the faces of those of us who want Dooley gone as well. See what knee-jerk reactions can cause, they seem to be saying. I go back to the Bama model (sorry). 'Let's keep Shula. We've gone through 2 -3 coaches before and they didn't work out.....'

So, thank you Fulmerites. I swallowed the harsh medicine in Nov '08. I'm prepared to swallow it again Dec '12.

You keep drinking that punch and wonder why we can't get better here.

Mr Hart, you have your action plan now. Bet that's why he hasn't been heard from. He's looking at resumes and deciding if their work experience match the qualities and objectives of his company.

If we're lucky like Bama, we'll find the right hire. But we won't know that by hiding in the shadows because the light might burn us.

We'll find our right match. Someday we will. Hopefully those now who do decide these things are scared of mediocrity.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

True, but I don't think John wants to be a HC at this point. He's already had chances to be a HC and enjoys coaching the defense. But, you're correct about burning bridges. I don't think Kiffin understood that part of diplomacy.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

With all due respect, John. Don't bet the house on this. With Gruden having been a grad asst at UT and marrying a knoxville girl, I have read where this is the one college position he may consider. I know many of you don't like to read basilio, but he has a lot of interesting info on Gruden on todays website. Check out tonybasilio.com if interested. Sorry I couldn't link it.

ETownVol writes:

in response to radiomafia#577548:

He certainly didn't dismiss the idea of ever coaching again. IF Dooley is let go, I think Gruden could get us back to where we want to be. Question is, does UT have the cash to make the offer one he couldn't refuse?

Still most of our fans would expect us to be contending for nat'l. championships within a year or two and that's not going to happen even if we were to hire Saban, Spurrier or Meyer. Rebuilding takes time and we have some of the most impatient, unrealistic fans that I've ever seen. Sorry but the truth hurts.

Tenn_Traveler writes:

Wonder what it would take to get Chavis back in Tenn FB? He is a Vol to the core. He brings everything needed.

PUL4VOLS writes:

The bantering back and forth between some people on here is ridiculous! Why don't you two get a (chat)room and go at it there.
Good Grief, all the malcontents find negative stuff no matter what is posted on here. Can we all take a deep breath and get a real life? Coach Chavis is a quality stand up guy. Leave him out of any nega-implications. I am guessing he's hip with LSU as DC. Let him enjoy that. As for the situation in Knoxville. We are wise to be supportive and stop acting like what we cannot "accept" will make any difference to the powers that be. If Dooley stays or goes, some of us will support the Volunteers to the very end and not be swiveling whiners like little children. There is a game this weekend. If you don't like Dooley, don't support this team, be simple; DON'T WATCH! But do another favor to us all and DON'T COME ON HERE whatever happens. Thanks for being a classy guy Chief!

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to ETownVol:

Nice video on Gruden and interesting. I was under the impression he was strictly an NFL guy but he undermined that idea. Can Tennessee afford him even if he was interested? Not sure but there would probably be some money passed around to make it happen. I would say its still a longshot but hearing him say a coach is a coach and it doesn't matter high school, college or pro is reassuring but maybe he was being politically correct as well. If I were dave hart I would definitely be in pursuit. As for Chavis he is a VFL, a great coach and a great person but he won't be Tennessee's next head coach, not happening. I have been a supporter of the Dooley regime and have been patient always saying he needed this third year as a true measuring stick with more talent and depth. But the truth is we keep getting moral victories except Bama and that's not making improvement enough. Win against SC, and finish the season with six wins and that will be the improvement we should be looking for(very longshot for that to happen) I want Tennessee to be back and it has to be a good hire and that may require being patient and waiting another year. I just pray dave Hart has the fortitude to make the right decision or he will set us back more years. Go Vols beat SC so I can be happy when I go to bed Saturday for a change.