Kentucky picked to win SEC by media; Tennessee fourth

Jarnell Stokes a preseason first-team pick, Jeronne Maymon second team

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) defends against Vanderbilt guard Kedren Johnson (2) during the first half at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, March 3, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) defends against Vanderbilt guard Kedren Johnson (2) during the first half at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, March 3, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Kentucky was predicted to win the 2013 SEC men’s basketball championship in voting by a select panel of both SEC and national media members. Each SEC school selected media members that cover their team and additional media from across the nation were selected by the conference office to form the voting panel.

The Wildcats, who are coming off a 38-2 season that saw them post a 16-0 record in the SEC on their way to winning their eighth national championship, earned 17 first-place votes. Florida earned five first-place votes while Missouri and Tennessee each received one vote.

Last week Kentucky was ranked third nationally in the preseason ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ hoops poll while Florida was 10th and Missouri was 17th. Tennessee and Georgia were among the teams receiving votes.

Missouri junior Phil Pressey was the choice of the media for SEC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year with six votes. Florida senior Kenny Boynton finished second (five votes) while Arkansas’ BJ Young, Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel and Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes each received three votes. Arkansas’ Marshawn Powell, Missouri’s Michael Dixon, Jr. and Tennessee’s Jeronne Maymon received one vote each in the Player of the Year voting.

Boynton, Noel, Pressey, Stokes and Young were each All-SEC First Team selections.

Dixon and Maymon were joined on the All-SEC Second team by Arkansas’ Marshawn Powell, Florida’s Patric Young, Georgia’s Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Kentucky’s Alex Poythress.

Points were compiled on a 14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis. Each media member also voted for a five-player All-SEC Team.

The 2012-13 SEC Media Preseason Poll tips off SEC Basketball Media Day, October 25 at the Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Alabama. The 2012-13 season begins November 9, with conference play set to begin January 8. The 2013 SEC Tournament will be held March 13-17 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.

First Team All-SEC

BJ Young – Arkansas, G, 6-3, 180, So., St. Louis, Mo.

Kenny Boynton – Florida, G, 6-2, 190, Sr., Pompano Beach, Fla.

Nerlens Noel – Kentucky, F, 6-10, 228, Fr., Everett, Mass.

Phil Pressey – Missouri, G, 5-11, 175, Jr., Dallas, Texas

Jarnell Stokes – Tennessee, F, 6-8, 270, So., Memphis, Tenn.

Second Team All-SEC

Marshawn Powell – Arkansas, F, 6-7, 240, Jr., Newport News, Va.

Patric Young – Florida, C, 6-9, 249, Jr., Jacksonville, Fla.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope – Georgia, G, 6-5, 205, So., Greenville, Ga.

Alex Poythress – Kentucky, F, 6-7, 239, Fr., Clarksville, Tenn.

Michael Dixon, Jr. – Missouri, G, 6-1 , 190, Sr., Kansas City, Mo.

Jeronne Maymon – Tennessee, F, 6-7, 260, Sr., Madison, Wis.

SEC Player of the Year: Phil Pressey, Missouri

LSU 116

Auburn 95

South Carolina 54

Mississippi State 37

First-Place Votes in Parentheses

underthehill writes:

Martin has gotta love this..no possible better incentive..is this the same media that predicted UT to finish 11th last year and UT finished 2nd..UT will be better this year especially early in the season and will make a good showing in the NCAA tournament..my prediction is the media needs to learn something about UT and Martin from last year..and they will....

HooRay_Vol writes:

I love how Noel and Poythress make the All-SEC teams without having played one game. Let Stokes and Maymon push them around like the toothpicks they are. KY may be the better team but giving them the accolades without playing one game is nonsense!

KENVOL writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

I have to agree 100%. These guys have never played 1 college game how can they be #1.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Hmmm...as usual the media's not very bright and will not have an explanation at the end of the year. First of the year polls are never very accurate and should be "done away with".!

Kentucky's rating can be explained somewhat but UT not being second is not understandable to me. Actually I think we should be strongly considered #1 pre-season if you have to have a poll. Kentucky is untested and is just a guess by the player star ratings of high school. I don't see any challengers to UT's bigs. At guard I doubt Boyton will be any better this season against the Vols. Well maybe at home. But we don't go to Florida!!!?
Well they better beat us in the SEC tourney then if they are gonna be ranked above us. Missouri however may have an accurate rating there. We'll see.

Let's play bball!! Go Vols go team 'bounds and great D!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

yep.

lomas98 writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

I see your point, but the same thing happened the last 2 years with KY players. Wall and Cousins and then Davis and Gilchrist were named the same thing without playing a game. Basketball is a little easier to scout these kids and get a true measure of their talent. Not sure about Poythress but Noel is the real deal. That is where the positive comments stop from me about KY.

I am excited to see what the season brings and Missouri will add a great team and program to this league. The margin of error with TN was pretty small last year from finishing second and finishing fifth. They are probably about right and will give them some motivation to improve that preseason pick.

Ironcity writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Let's play bball!! Go Vols go team 'bounds and great D!

Guys i think the poll is accurate taking into affect what teams bring back and how they finished last year. UK win the NC and some say this group of prospects are better then last years. Missouri brings back three of four best players and they were top 5 last year. UF (although we spanked them) brings 4 of top 5 players from sweet sixteen team. this is fair assessment for a team still lacking a true PG and having two guys coming back from knee surgeries. That said it should help motivate these guys if they are not already motivated enough.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

But that's just it! No one really can even guess this early and be accurate if you go by previous preseason polls. 11th is a long way from 2nd or even 6th. However you make good points about the fairness of it. You could say that they have a lot more confidence this year in the Big Orange. I like seeing us in the top 5...without even playing.

govols0463 writes:

Thank God basketball is around the corner!

UT4prez writes:

I agree ironicity. While we kicked that gator tail yet again, man do I wish it would bleed over to football, they did have a better overall year than we did. I was very surprised to see their run in the tournament because they usually played sloppy. Poor shot selection and poor fundamentals. To me, that's why we beat them. We were strong on those 2 areas and thy were not. Starting with the SEC tournament and carrying to the big dance UF did a much better job of attacking the rim and taking the shot in close or moving the ball around for good 3 point opportunities. Man I loved beating those UF teams with Noah. I can't stand that dude.

underthehill writes:

I notice Mizzu has one guard 1st team and one 2nd..I thought I read where Mizzu was getting a 7 foot transfer from Syracuse or U Conn who is one of the best big men in the country..am I wrong about this...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

UT will be a tough out for anybody this year..NCAA tourney bound..GBO!!

Tennfan4075 writes:

I think Missouri may be the surprise of the SEC, but have drawn a tough division.

UKblue02 writes:

in response to underthehill:

You are correct UTH mizzu picked up alex oraikhi fron uconn...he is a big big dude.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

And they lost their coach to Arky..

UKblue02 writes:

in response to UKblue02:

that's Oriakhi.....

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

I am seeing a quiet confidence from both Coach Martin and the team. Not swagger, an attitude of we'll show you on the court. The same vibe I used to get from CPS's teams.

underthehill writes:

in response to RockyTopUT:

May be lower in talent but the history of Stallings is to get the most out of what he has..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

sarcasm? lol

mocsandvolsfan writes:

btw it is a huge sin to the media when a D1 loses to any mid-major or lower team. HUGE! I graduated from a pretty darn good mid-major school back in McCarthy's day and before. The Mocs played some good ball and competed with everyone they played back in the day. Part of the skepticism of this year may be UT's losses last year to "weak" teams. We also were "weak" at times(i.e. UT). Maybe we need to knock some of those teams off early to get some respect. 4th is ok but I hope for more. It is only a hope so far. But let's get this going soon. I can't wait.arrrrrgh go vols. GO MOCS. Sometimes I'm a little torn.lol But UTC has a lot to prove for me this year to believe again.

Go Vols. Go UT.

in response to HooRay_Vol:

"like the toothpicks they are"

Now that was funny!! Good job HooRay!!

in response to KENVOL:

Cause it's Kentucky, Kenvol, it's Kentucky ... That's what Kentucky does. That's what Kentucky is. It's Kentucky. The pinnacle of all collegiate basketball. It's Kentucky. Need you hear more?

Vol43 writes:

in response to Scoon:

Well by gawd let's hear it for ken...tucky. Whopp..de..doo!

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

UT will be a tough out for anybody this year..NCAA tourney bound..GBO!!

You do realize, ColdNose, that if UT were to accidentally stumble into 'The Dance', that would only be about their 7th time of ever making it, don't ya?
Isn't that about right, ColdNose?? Huum?

Hey ColdNose, just exactly how white is your hair??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

Isn't that about right, ColdNose?? Huum?

Hey ColdNose, just exactly how white is your hair??

Mildcats beware, and white as the wind driven snow..lol

in response to Vol43:

Well by gawd let's hear it for ken...tucky. Whopp..de..doo!

Easy there, 43 .. that "Whoop..de..doo" will be "Whoop..de..vols" come play time come Jan. 15 / Feb. 16, 2013.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Mildcats beware, and white as the wind driven snow..lol

Well, that's pretty white there, ColdNose.

Now, all I'm wondering is if you got a black nose or a pink nose.
Hmmm. <scratch scratch>

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

I think it shows what dipsh!ts the media can be. "Let's make a couple of totally unproven freshmen pre-season All-SEC because they're going to Kentucky."

What that says to me is that nobody's impressed with Kentucky's returning players. Stokes and Maymon should get plenty of opportunity to school those kids. So what if the media idiots are lined up to suck their ..... before they've even stepped one foot on a college basketball court?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Scoon:

"like the toothpicks they are"

Now that was funny!! Good job HooRay!!

6'8" 200 and 6'10" 205.
Are you sure they aren't anorexic?
Those are toothpicks.

Maymon and Stokes are 6'7" 260 and 6'8" 270. Somehow I don't see your anorexic freshman toothpicks winning many of those battles inside.

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

6'8" 200 and 6'10" 205.
Are you sure they aren't anorexic?
Those are toothpicks.

10, nothing I like better than having a good laugh first thing before the rooster crows in the a.m.

LL & I were just talking about this very same thing the other night, as to whether or not that 6'10" includes all that hair or not ... and if not, then he would actually be 7'2" in size. Did you know Noel still has UK shaved in the back of that big pone of conbread a'sitting atop that noggin of his?? He does.

"Toothpicks", that cracks me up.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Wow. Just as many posts for kentucky on here as the VOLS. Not as many "posterers" I guess.

Anyhow I don't think we beat Kentucky based soley on our bigs. Or anyone else for that matter. It'll be our forte. but really we need to get the ball to Stokes and Maymon and Hall...OK our bigs are gonna be key!!lmao But Golden has to play his best against these 5* teams. Playing well through the rotations is important. Having someone to be able to rotate Golden is important. Spacing seemed to also be a problem at times last year. Both on offense and defense. Our bigs need to shut down anything going inside without opening the "back door".lol But our main struggle as I saw it was POINT. Golden needs to be healthy. He needs to make the passes when they don't appear to be there sometimes. He needs to maneuver more I guess is what it is. His job this year along with any back-ups will be key.
I think so anyhow. I'm not a play caller but I'd like to see more called plays and more offensive control.

That said our Defense must be in control against these 5* teams in order to have an offense. That's why some of these newcomers are important and hopefully some of the last year starters need to have improved their shooting mid to long range. It'll open up the inside.

Golly I'm possibly over thinking..."brain damage"!hehe

Kentucky's going down! Next year?? If they keep some of those 5*s then we may have a problem "Dallas".

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Scoon:

"Toothpicks", that cracks me up.

Honestly I can't wait to see these newbs. I'm not really a team hater 'cept maybe NCar and Duke. Noel looks awesome but probably needs a year in college at least before we see his true talent. I haven't seen Nichols on film but if we do get him he'll probably need some pounds as well. It'll be a tough game against Kentucky at home or away. I really do think we have an advantage at least early in the season. Of course it's Memphis that we play early.hehe LOOK OUT Blue catz of any state!

TheEffect writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

Noel and Poythress make the All-SEC team the same way every other Kentucky player makes it....they are good. Calipari takes talented players, and coaches them to play as a well oiled basketball machine. In the end, this prediction will hold up. You can probably add Archie Goodwin and Kyle Wiltjer to the All SEC team too!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to TheEffect:

He better get them to put on some weight and muscle or they may get broken like twigs. 6'8" or 6'10" and only 200 pounds is freaking anorexic. How do they hold others off the block who outweigh them by 50 pounds?

in response to UKblue02:

Well, Oriaikhi may be better this year, but as I recall, the Vols tossed him all around TBA last year. No doubt Mizzou will be tough, if only because they an something of an unknown quantity in the SEC, but I still like the Vols' chances this year.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Golly I'm possibly over thinking..."brain damage"!hehe

I agree with you about the need for a little more structure in the offense. As just one example, I remember several instances where some key opponent picked up a couple of early fouls or was in foul trouble late. The Vols just seemed to practically REFUSE to keep driving the ball at the guy until he fouled out or fell over. CCM also seemed to have little feel for when to call strategic timeouts to stop runs or give important players a bit of extra rest by taking them out before media timeouts, which by the way was a fault I saw in Pearl, too. If we learned anything last year, it was that Golden and some others just CANNOT play at a consistent winning level unless their minutes are rationed a little better. By using those media timeouts better, he wouldn't even have to miss that many actual court minutes, but it could make a world of difference late in games. Just my $.02 worth.

As for Golden making "passes when they don't seem to be there", it seemed to me he did a little too much of that last year. The key to success in any sport is to do the ROUTINE things the RIGHT WAY, at the RIGHT TIME, ALL THE TIME. Heroics are almost beside the point. If you do those other things, the occasions when heroics are necessary will be MUCH less frequent, but TRYING to be heroic too much is almost always going to get you beat against any half-way decent team.

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

In the all-star lists shown above, Poythress was listed at 6'7" and 239; Noel was listed at 6'10" and 228. Now, while Stokes and Maymon might seem to outweigh them by a fair amount, published heights and weights as given by SID's can be characterized as works of fiction, or, as the military would say, disinformation. Those measurements might have been approximately correct when they were in junior high, but no one who really knows is going to say how big they are NOW. Back in the Adolph Rupp days, UK was notorious for listing their players as 3 or 4 inches and 20+ pounds smaller than they REALLY were.

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

If Noel was to shave his head, he'd loose 5 lbs. I heard just this morning that Coach Cal (not the Coach Cal on here, but the Coach Cal in Lexington) has them both on a high protein diets with extremely lean red meat, some seafood, legumes and extra crunchy peanut butter, daily. For a splurge, they get to have some Crispy Creamy Donuts and Jolly Land Milkshakes made with whole fat cream. Thata get 'em all muscled up, if not fattened up and ready for yo Smokey and co. That is just as soon as Smokey and the WildCat get all of that egg off of their faces.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Moccasins,

I agree that UT will and should have the advantage early within the season over the Mighty Cats, but UT doesn't have to play the Cats until mid Jan. & Feb. Usually by then, Coach Calipari has the team all playing like the champs that KY is known to be; but, I have already heard John say that this year's team is not the team of last year and he's not for sure what we're gonna have. It's gonna take some work, brother, work. And, your Stokes is wrong. UT will never be ranked above KY, never. But, I will say that I think you got some good players and some good players with big feet.

Respectfully,

Scooner

(aka) Won_and_Done

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Scoon:

Moccasins,

Respectfully,

Scooner

(aka) Won_and_Done

kk. It's a wait and see then. I know I said UT had the advantage early and I also said we only played Memphis early. But we'll still get you at home I think. Thr thing is...don't you agree that UT will also get better as the season rolls on?

I'm not gonna try to convince an enemy that we're better. It's all theory till we play the game. Keep pulling for the blue catz as they will be good no doubt. #1?? I'm not at all convinced. UT will be the SEC champs. I believe it.

Go Vols Go BIGS Go team!

in response to Scoon:

Moccasins,

Respectfully,

Scooner

(aka) Won_and_Done

Try to use a little logic here, Scoon--not your strong suit, I know. If Cal says that this year's team hasn't yet shown itself to be as good as last year's team, and if the Vols are returning nearly the whole team that lost to UK by THREE at UT in Stokes' FIRST college game, then why WOULDN'T the Vols have a decent chance at them this year? And don't fall back on the old mantra, "Because we are UK". That is mere wishful thinking, because this year's squad ISN'T UK yet. Yeah, they will wear the (mostly) blue uniforms--still can't forget some of last year's excursions into the fashion-forward world--but they haven't yet proven they are the REAL UK and the Vols just may show them that in fact they AREN'T, at least by recent standards. Oh, and is at least possible that Cal's lecture to the refs last year about how he wanted the game to be officiated at Rupp, and them following those instructions to the letter--two fouls on Maymon in the first two minutes--might not be so effective this year. Lots of things have to fall into place to win championships and they don't always do that as expected.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

In spite of all the talent Cal has had..he has won one NCAA..if he couldn't win will Wall, Cousins, and that bunch..he ain't likely to win the SEC with this bunch..as for UT ..if Martin can finish 2nd in the SEC with the team he had last year..why would he not do as well or better this year..I think he will..from what I have read..not seen..Mizzu may be the team to beat...

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Go Vols Go BIGS Go team!

Wut?? "UT will be the SEC champs." ??

And, you won't never have to worry about the fat just as long as you eat the Crispy Creamy doughnuts OUTSIDE of the baker...!

Where do they come up with this stuff ??

* bakery

in response to johnlg00:

Alright smartypants,

Your vols always have a chance, however slim the margin of getting at the Cats shall be; but, the odds are highly unlikely, especially in RUPP where your Stokes vowed last year that he would beat us .. LOL!!! Now seriously, how likely is that?!? BTW, I WILL be there at that game in RUPP to see RockyTop crumble, again.

On the other hand, I will agree with you dudes though, that with our toothpick players, it is going to not exactly be on level playing field, but then neither will be the talent end, either. You might have a decent chance in TBA, as with any team, there is always a chance. But, with the influx of all the BlueMist within your house and over your own house, your odds decrease in more. Do you remember that humiliation suffered at the hands of UT last year when across national television, there was more Blue in TBA then there was urange and the viewing nation all thought that the game was being played in RUPP Arena. Now, that should have been a wake-up call for Martin, but we shall see. Cats take all. Sweep, Sweep, Sweep.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Scoon:

We know exactly what KY is these days and exactly how you are doing it. As does the rest of the sports world. Riding every loophole, asterisk and the backing of the Swoosh right to the top. That's why nobody outside of KY respects what you are doing. One big scam. When the NCAA decides to catch up to the shenanigans, you'll be right back where you were. Enjoy till the titles are stripped.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Scoon:

Wut?? "UT will be the SEC champs." ??

Where do they come up with this stuff ??

Who's they??? Are you hearing voices?

If by "they" you mean me, well we've been fairly competitive. We've as in UT. Go home. "blue moon is calling you home. go bye bye

Try your own site for a change. They might agree with you more.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Johnlg? I don't think I've ever seen you called "smartypants" before.hehe "kettle calling" and so forth.

I see Scoon must be this years assigned antagonist for Kns or whoever leads "the enemy's" invasion. Whatever. Waste of time really.

in response to Scoon:

Alright smartypants,

"Talent is as talent does."

"Talent is as important to accomplishment as being born is to becoming a competent adult; necessary but not sufficient."

"No story in life is quite so sad as that of great talent unrewarded."

"Experience and treachery nearly always beats youth and skill."

I got a million of these, but I don't want to overstress your attention span.

in response to johnlg00:

"Talent is as talent does."

"No story in life is quite so sad as that of great talent unrewarded."

"Experience and treachery nearly always beats youth and skill."

I got a million of these, but I don't want to overstress your attention span.

Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins Championships.