Mark Wiedmer: Is Tennessee’s fan base unrealistic about Vols?

Alabama head coach Nick Saban, left, pats Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley on the back after an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012 in Knoxville, Tenn. Alabama won 44-13. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)

Will the Vols finish with a winning record?

See the results »

View previous polls »

CHATTANOOGA - On Friday afternoon, Nov. 13th, 1992, the University of Tennessee parted company with football coach Johnny Majors after 16 seasons. His final game before that ouster was a 24-23 loss at South Carolina.

On Monday afternoon, Nov. 3rd, 2008, UT parted ways with football coach Phillip Fulmer after 16 seasons. Two days earlier, Fulmer’s Vols lost 27-6 at South Carolina.

Embattled third-year Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley accompanies his struggling team to South Carolina this Saturday, where the Vols hope to end a three-game losing streak and snap an 0-4 start in the Southeastern Conference.

Anybody notice a possible trend here?

Continue reading at the Times Free Press.

usafvol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

College players should already know how to block and tackle. We just don't have the talent.

TKO writes:

This staff is on life support and leave it to Spurrier to pull the plug.

Vo2Vol writes:

We should be careful what we ask for as fans. We can all be armchair quarterbacks and question calls. Fans that do not like this coach will say every bad play is a result of coaching. There is no doubt that the coach's would have done a few things different. No coaching staff gets every call correct. From this quarterback's chair, we need to execute better what is called. Against Alabama we had a few opportunities to score with short fields and did not execute, or turned it over. Alabama is too good to leave the opportunities on the field.

Personally, I am sick of all this talk of coaching change. We need program consistency. I am as frustrated with losing as anyone that will chime in on this blog. But I also have not forgotten that Derek Dooley inherited an impossible situation. We are better today than we were this time last year and yes that is little consolation. There is still something to play for this season and I believe our players understand that. The problem is that many of our fans have become front runners and short sited. The fact that 40% of the crowd Saturday wore Crimson was pathetic. I had no expectation of winning this game but they certainly deserve to have a home field crowd. If I was one of the recruits sitting in the north endzone I would have been more impressed with the way Alabama travels and takes over the crowd.

Again, I do not like to lose and I do not like allowing my opponent to party in my stadium. However, this team is better and they deserve better from Big Orange Fans that this BS that continues to be served up on here. The point that our losses come to teams with a combined loss record of 1 game has credibility. Let's keep playing.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to usafvol:

A lot of truth in that statement USA..The mistakes made by our secondary are preventable by basic football skills you learn in HS..It really is unbelievable to me that at some point your basic football smarts don't take over..The 2 TD's we gave up to a very average Bama WR were embarrassingly easy!! To make matters worse this secondary gets worse every game..Ansley and Conklin are obviously bad coaches but how can a college level player repeatedly play that Stupid

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

"But the decade of the 1990s is where the Big Orange Nation wants to live. UT went 99-22-2 overall and 64-15-1 within the SEC while winning one national championship and playing in five BCS level bowls."

What could be the missing piece of the puzzle? What magically mystical ancient artifact did UT use to disguise its true nature and fool the football gremlins into thinking that it was a good program? Was it pixie dust? Did we make a deal with Knute Rockne's ghost? What amazingly complex and arcane ancient football bowl series wizardry did UT engage in during this mythical period in which it found so much success of which it was so unworthy?

Oh...that's right, we had a good coaching staff and we recruited better than everyone else.

THE SECRET HAS BEEN REVEALED!!!!!!

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

I haven't read article but not unrealistic at all. We expect to have a staff that has a good system with SEC quality players. We expect the players to buy in to what the staff does. We expect timeouts to be used properly, we expect substitutions to be made properly without any utter confusion. None of this is happening, and there is no excuse. lt wouldn't matter what players we had. If you don't know what's going on it don't matter even if you whole team is loaded with NFL hall of famers returned to their prime. Now if it was a player or two getting confused every now and then you maybe could blame it on the players. But if it's happening with several players constantly throughout the game that's coaching weather he's not teaching it right or just simply has to complicated of a system for a kid who also has to spend time going to class and studying. It's horrid coaching. Chuck Smith was blamed at LSU but it's not got one bit better since then. The only difference is that was the one landmark game we had chance to win under Dooley so that was the only time the confusion was able to hurry the team because this staff typically can't have their team competitive against all these great SEC coaches.

underthehill writes:

I still believe if UT beats Vandy they will be 7-5 and Dooley could get another year..due to the reported financial situation.. and the costs of buyouts for Dooley and his assistants..no competent coach will come to UT without being able to hire his own assistants..

najedad writes:

Check out a post my son wrote on why Dooley should stay. Pretty comprehensive:

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Vo2Vol:

Making a change when something isn't working is a better move than keeping a coach who has given you no evidence that things are going to get better just for consistancies sake.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to underthehill:

I read an article this morning that stated we only had 2 million in reserve? Dooley isnt going anywhere, and if he does, it will because some big time boosters are forking over some big time bucks to get a big time name in.

blewissmith writes:

Building a program takes time...getting a coaching staff in place takes time...Dooley inherited a mess and we are definitely better today than we have been in 3 years...Give him at least one more year and if we see improvement give him some more.

pcorange writes:

in response to Vo2Vol:

Buddy, you already have program consistency. We are consistently at the bottom of the SEC, where we will remain until something changes. No fan expects every play or every call to be perfect, but I think we can expect the basic fundamentals to be carried out on the field. This is a very fundamentally poor football team, especially on defense. We needed until deep in the fourth quarter to put 1-7 Akron away, for crying out loud. This is not an SEC quality football team. Derek Dooley did not inherit an impossible situation. He inherited a bad situation that good football coaches turn around. Three years in, we are pretty much what we were when he started as far as being able to compete. Our O-line and run game has improved, but our D has sunk to new lows. It is time...

tnbigg writes:

BBFN

govols0463 writes:

in response to usafvol:

Well, okay, herein lies one of my points. At least 8 or 9 of the defensive players that started Saturday night are "his" recruits. He can't recruit either. Yes, he can recruit with Vandy, KY, Ole Miss, and Mizzou, but not with Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc. Kids don't want to play there anymore, and people can give me the Tennessee talent pool mess all day long. Phil did just fine with it for years because he recruited nationally and every blue chip recruit in Tennessee, at least considered TN. The large majority don't even consider TN anymore. You think Oregon is a football hotbed? Kids want to play there for a number of reasons: innovative fast paced offense, uniforms, it's exciting, facilities, etc. Other than the facilities and where you get to play every weekend, there's not a lot about our program intriguing to a young kid right now. In summary, I do agree with you. we've got some kids, especially on defense, that just aren't any good. With the lack of speed, I'm not even sure a few of them are 3 stars, and guess who brought 'em here. I have not one positive thing to say about him, except that he's kept us off probation. Vanderbilt has never been on probation either, but I wouldn't want their history. Get him out now. Wait until the beatdown this weekend if there are a few stragglers that have yet to change their mind.

Vo2Vol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

You may be right if we are sure the process is not working. We have lost to some very good teams and we are not where we want to be. We have much better talent than we did 3 years ago, but we are still not there yet. Good coaches cannot be great coaches without great players.

If we make a change, we better hire a guy that is a home run or it can set us back again. Some of the most turbelant times at Alabama was when they went through 4 or 5 coaching changes. We have to have consistency. However, I do agree with you that we have to show progress. Losing to 4 top 10 teams does not necessarily show a lack of progress. Let's see how we finish. We need to own November this year and build some momentum. If we lay an egg over the next 5 games, then so be it.

TooDlems writes:

Saban is patting Dooley on the back telling he can have his old jock washing job back if this Tennessee gig doesn't work out.

TBone5 writes:

Ok i really wish you morons would check your facts and learn how to comprehend a sentence. I said CPF went 5-7 1 TIME! I said nothing about him going 5-6. As a matter of fact it was '05 when UT went 5-6 and '07 UT went 5-7. But here is a record for thought and i will throw out another reason why UT has slumped since '07. CPF was 151-52 in his tenure at UT. Other than the 2 bad seasons as seen above his teams had no less than 8 wins in any given year. Now look at yourself in the mirror and say this or ask yourself this "Why did i want him fired? I cant beleive i was an idiot!." And here is your kicker of the whole story. Does anybody remember the name Rodney Garner? If not here you go-he was the recruiting coordinator at UT. Guess who didn't want to pay him and keep him there-MIKE HAMILTON!!! You know everybody's favorite AD up on Rocky Top. And can anybody guess of where Rodney Garner is today and if you know the answer ask yourself how good is that school doing in football and recruiting and get back to me with your answer. Or lack there of for some of you.

JayTee writes:

When the same players continue to make the same mistakes every week he continues to put them back on the field expecting different results I call that unrealistic.

Einstein called it insanity.

thevoice writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

Usually, when a coach needs to be fired, a donor(s) steps up to fund the payouts.

govols0463 writes:

in response to blewissmith:

Sir, excuse me, but we are NOT better off now than before he got here. The year before he got here, we finished 7-6 overall, and we won 4 conference games, with a Chik-fil-A Bowl appearance. That is an absolute pipe dream now. He's won 4 conference games in 3 years.

snuffysmiff writes:

I didn't expect the Vols to win big this year, but I expected them to play like they had been in a football game before, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The play of the defense is unacceptable, and puts a lot of pressure on the offense.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Vo2Vol:

One of the reasons they have a combined loss record of one game is because we don't compete with them. UT needed Dooley to be a great coach. Unfortunately he has been anything but. Its time to move on. The players deserve someone they can rally around, someone that can exude confidence. Someone who can actually allow them to compete.

smokysbark writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

I agree that fundamentals should be second nature to college football players but you also see this type of tackling in the NFL ... rather than wrapping up the runner, they all just put their head down and hope to knock the guy off his feet ... ridiculous.

I will add, though, that UT doesn't have a cornerback on this current roster. Not a true corner anyway. There are 5 safeties on the field and those that are assuming the position of corner can't run with the wideouts ... they just can't cover without giving a 10yd cushion at the line of scrimmage which makes it too easy to throw those 10 yard in/out/hitch routes for first downs. If they play bump and run, they let the receiver behind them every play. Frustrating.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to thevoice:

I totally agree. Many times those donors are the reason a coach is let go. And from the looks of what I have read, even though we are having financial issues, Hart intends on getting the football program straight. What does that mean? I guess we will see in the very near future.

GreerVol22 writes:

Billy's right. Next Sunday after we give up another 500 yards of offense in a scrimmage game for SC, what will the excuse be? I have heard all the rants about changing to a 3-4 Defense and all that...even made some of those arguments myself. But sloppy angles, weak tackles, and 15 yards out of position are something that is squarely a coaching issue....and that goes for every linebacker and D back. I don't get how the fundamentals keep escaping this team week in and week out.

VolzsFan writes:

The new reality at UT. First, how many schools in America would beat any much less all of Florida, Georgia, Miss. State, Alabama and South Carolina. Those teams will lose but it will only be to teams in that mix and add LSU. They will beat up each other. No body, not Oregon, Kansas State, Notre Dame...no body would beat those teams. Why should UT? Just because Phil did? Get real. He is a Hall of Famer that was able to go to other states and get players that the big boys actually wanted. It will be decades before there is a coach here that can do that again. Get used to the change many of you wanted and enjoy the tailgates. This is what you wanted so enjoy.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

WOW. The truth will set you free! Ha ha ha. Good job.

volaholic45 writes:

What a pic! Our boy on crutches getting some consolation from Daddy Nick after whipping his arse 8 ways from Sunday. What a perfect capturing of the situation - the rivalry is so lopsided they feel sorry for us. Not so much in the stands, though, where there was plenty of obnoxious trash-talking from Bama bums, emboldened with every point scored, every first down, every Vol failure. But stay the course, though, by all means! Who cannot feel the surge of improvement coursing through the whole program?

jobrando#216494 writes:

Bottom Feeders----We Suck
As much as was ready for Phil to go this program would have been respectable under his care. He was trying to figure it out but Clawson did him in.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to thevoice:

Or they threaten to pull money if you don't fire them....or both.

I check this site every morning hoping for BREAKING NEWS!

arkyvol writes:

one of all the idiotic excuses i keep hearing from the dooley defenders is the "impossible situation" dooley took over. impossible? how so? admittedly, the vols didn't have bama, lsu, florida, and georgia rosters, but it was light years ahead of vandy and kentucky. the facilities were there as well as the stadium, the tradition, and the fan support. impossible? yeah, if your only resume entry is your daddy's name. check out bobby petrino and what he inherited from houston nutt, then compare where he was three years in versus dooley, then tell me about impossible.

blewissmith writes:

in response to govols0463:

Yeah and then he left...along with alot of the thugs he recruited. If you're basing your opinion of Won/Loss record then you are correct...A program is graded on alot more than that...or at least I hope so.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to TBone5:

With all due respect sir, Rodney Garner left UT at the end of the '97 season, well before Hamilton became AD in 2003. Hamilton is guilty of many things detrimental to UT but this wasn't his doing.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

"The Vols have lost four SEC games to date to teams which have lost ONE … GAME … TOTAL." Well then it sounds like a heck of a lot of schools need to fire their coaches, doesn't it! Maybe that should be the rule every year...to fire all coaches that can't beat the top 5 teams in the nation. (Think of how many coaches there would be to choose from.) And how long should we give the next coach to be #1 in the SEC? I think 2 years max, since they'd be inheriting a better team than Dooley. Actually, I think any of us who do not have the honor of being #1 in our field of work should lose our jobs, too. It's only fair. We demand the best...then we should also be the best. And you only have 3 years to become the best...not just in your office. Oh, no. In your field of work nation-wide. We need to live by the standards that we hold others to. Oh, and don't expect any encouragement along the way. Any sign that you're not going to make it and you'll be shunned and verbally ripped apart by everyone, who in reality, has no experience or training in how to do your job. This could be fun...making sure there is no hypocrisy. Who's game?

oldbasshead writes:

in response to blewissmith:

Boy I hate losing, but I am afraid you are right. Dooley has many desirable characteristic that make him attractive. His players don't seem to be getting arrested like so many have in the past. I think Dooley is smart and represents Tenn well. Based on the situation Dooley inherited, I don't think one can judge him accurately after 3 years especially considering the major staff change on defense. Dooley should be given another year before he is booted. Surely, the defense will improve during Sunseri's second year. That seems to be the trend when going to a 3-4 from a 4-3. Even if Dooley gets fired after next year, we will have another year of stability and probably another pretty good recruiting class. Many recruits want to know "what is in this for me", not "can I get in line behind all the other 5 stars". Although there is some evidence to the contrary, I don't think Dooley, in a fourth year, will do any worse than a new coaching staff would do. The only possible good outcome would be if UT could somehow hire someone who was really special. Those coaches are out there, but would they come to UT and risk their careers and the coaches they would bring with them? One thing that could help attract a special coach would be if UT shows some patience to the current staff. Short of being able to attract a hugh name, lets stay with Dooley in the short term.

UTKin1992 writes:

If expecting IMPROVEMENT after one season, much less 3, is unrealistic then...paint me unrealistic!

LIBDESTROYER writes:

in response to Vo2Vol:

Fine, but totally beside the point. All that matters is we have an entire team consisting of 3 star players with more on the way. We cannot compete in this league with that, case closed.

redskinvol1 writes:

FIRE DOOLEY NOW!!WORST COACH IN TN HISTORY!!IF GIVEN 1 MORE YEAR,DOOLEY WILL BECOME THE WORST COACH IN SEC HISTORY!!FIRE DOOLEY NOW!!PAY GRUDEN WHATEVER HE WANTS!!

Vol1968 writes:

You cannot build a quality program over night. Give Dooley another year, I think he deserves that.

RockVegas writes:

in response to govols0463:

I agree 110%,I was just saying the other day,we were the first school in the SEC to have indoor fields and everything.Now everyone else have spent money on all kinds of things and we are still just holding on.I don't understand why we can't get players to Knoxville anymore,these kids would rather go to a small town in the middle of nowhere than to come to Knox-Vegas I just don't get it.It's something that's not being done right,It could be the attitude of the coaches,I don't know.You would think every top recruit in the country would want to come to U.T you know they would get to play as true freshmen,the way we look.As you see they would rather go to BAMA,LSU,or Florida and sit the bench until they get a chance to play,now that's crazy.Bring on the basketball season....GBO.

pogiegovols writes:

I have supported Coach Dooley from day one but lets be honest. He is our Mike Shula, Alabama hired Shula because he had a great coach for a father and he seemed to be a great guy who would do things the right way. That is exactly who Coach Dooley is, and he really is a great guy. He was the right coach to clean our program up, but not the right coach to get to the next level and make UT competitive and relevant again. Now the question is where do we go from here? I think the obvious choice is Cutcliffe but I also thought he was the obvious choice when Fulmer was fired.

VolzsFan writes:

Tennesse vs Alabama since the Bear retired.

agentorange writes:

I thought Sunseri should have been fired at halftime. Dooley in the 4th qtr. Not sure anyone can argue that this coaching staff should stay. I'm 36 and been watching the vols or listening to them on the radio since I can remember. I was a student from 94-98. I've never seen a bigger bunch of quitters and losers wearing the Orange, including Dooley. The 2005 team was close, though.

All_vol14 writes:

in response to Vo2Vol:

Well said sir

orangeman1 writes:

in response to blewissmith:

How about UT being ranked 99th in scoring Defense? What about being ranked 9th in the SEC in recruiting. And all these great offensive players cant even make the top 35 in scoring. Still not able to beat a ranked team. All I'm asking is where is the improvement?

oldbasshead writes:

Dooley is not an idiot. If given time, he will put together a quality team at UT. I know that goes against everything we are feeling right now. Look at the improved running game. Sunseri is a football man and will give UT a fine defense with time. Dooley will replace coaches until he get a staff that can put a quality team on the field. Stay with Dooley and be part of a great story. Although VaTech is not having a great season this year, look what they have done over the past decade. It wasn't always that way at Tech. They had several years under Beamer that were like the ones UT is having now, but they stuck with him and have enjoyed a very strong program. Be part of something positive that will last. Stay with Dooley and he, not some "mythical" coach, will build a strong team at UT.

UT_Braddah writes:

in response to najedad:

Check out a post my son wrote on why Dooley should stay. Pretty comprehensive:

Haven't fact-checked your boy's article, but if it's all true (and complete), he did a GREAT job.

UT_Braddah writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Any "impossible" challenges in your workplace? Should you get fired?

Name the coach who can do the impossible. It's NOT impossible, but pleasing some UT fans IS.

exlineman writes:

in response to najedad:

Check out a post my son wrote on why Dooley should stay. Pretty comprehensive:

This has to be the most intelligent blog that I have ever read. This should be a required reading for any one using this site. Your son puts things in to perspective that weekend arm chair quarterbacks never think about. After reading this blog, it changes my perspective on how to look at Dooleys record in a more postive note.

Again, Sir, your son has written the best blog that I have ever read on this site.

oldbasshead writes:

in response to najedad:

Check out a post my son wrote on why Dooley should stay. Pretty comprehensive:

Thanks for taking the time to contribute this information. It is what many of us sense, but the frustration and disappointment are so strong that we want to do anything but wait. I have made a couple of posts here saying as hard as it is, let wait. If UT can pull together a 7-5 year, that will be the beginning of better times for UT.