UT coach Derek Dooley doesn't hold back at press conference

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11) misses a catch for a first down opportunity in the second quarter against Alabama at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Dooley critical of Bray: QB needs to "man up"

Derek Dooley's opening statements about the loss to Alabama

Swimming in the backwash of his 14th straight loss to a ranked foe, Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley pulled no punches Monday.

In a prolonged opening statement at his weekly formal press conference, Dooley uncorked a number of airy haymakers.

The players caught a piece. The coaches, including himself, took some of it.

Hopefully, Smokey ducked.

Among the blows:

"It gets a little frustrating when you see your guys who are very capable, you've seen them do it and it's not anything new, and they don't do it. We have to keep doing a good job as coaches to demand it and if guys can't do it, we have to put other guys in."

"I think their spirit is broken and it should be."

"Justin (Hunter) has to understand that playing receiver is not always clean and easy."

"We are not playing good defense and we are not playing well enough on offense to overcome it. That is the way it is."

"Are (fans) upset? Of course, they should be. I understand that. I am not in a position to defend what we are doing, make a case for what we are doing. We have to go prove it on the field."

And, of course, in regards to his quarterback, Tyler Bray: "Man up."

But, hey, on the bright side, "We have to go prove it on the field. Do I feel confident we will? I do."

***

South Carolina, Tennessee's opponent Saturday (TV: ESPN, noon) boasts an SEC-best 22 sacks in six league games.

Most of the heat comes from USC's relentless defensive line.

Tennessee left tackle Antonio Richardson scoffed when asked if any worries have arisen on the UT offensive line.

"We're one of the best offensive lines in the country so we're not worried about it," he responded.

***

On the injury front, Dooley noted that offensive lineman Zach Fulton (ankle) is doubtful against the Gamecocks and running back Rajion Neal (ankle) is probable after missing last weekend's game.

***

Bumbling along with four losses in five games, running back Marlin Lane thinks an upset of South Carolina could fuel a season-ending push.

"I feel like if we win Saturday, then we're going to win-out through the season, try to go 8-4 and get into a nice bowl game," he said.

***

Along with sophomore linebacker Jordan Williams, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Trevarris Saulsberry saw significant playing time against Alabama. Saulsberry recorded five tackles, including one for a loss.

Referring to the one-time deep reserves, Dooley said, "We probably should have put them in the lineup four weeks ago."

Saulsberry is expecting more time against South Carolina.

He's also expecting a win.

"There is no losing this week," Saulsberry said. "We have to go win this game down in South Carolina."

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NorthwestVol writes:

Talk is cheap....

jschariter#367312 writes:

Dooley can now take Steve Kiner's nickname of mouth of the south. Quoting Steve Kiner when UT played Ole Miss with Archie Manning at Quarterback. "They (Ole Miss) don't have horses just mules". Ut lost that Day 38 to 0, subsequently Jack hack saw Reynolds cut apart his car by hand... the only UT player that reported did not quit during the game. We need more Reynolds and less Kiner including you coach Dooley...

shorttail writes:

they need to get closer then 10 yards on a receiver

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

Talk is cheap....

Uhhh, I think that's what CDD said when he stated: "We've got to prove it on the field"..

SavTnVol writes:

Sure seems we hear what we want to hear from CDD lately..I have an idea, when you tell Tyler Bray to man up, lead by example CDD.

UTKin1992 writes:

The only thing he needs to say is "bye"...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

To be fair, CDD recruited most of those athletes Sonny Dykes is winning with (sprinkled in with Vols that Kiffin ran off).

jandjhome#228397 writes:

When coaches are desperate, they blame the players most of the time.

Vols_fan_27 writes:

Just throwing this name out there but what are the chances the Administration goes after Charlie Strong if and when they get rid of Dooley? Seems he has definitley proven himself and has a solid SEC background.

ooltewahorange writes:

A change of coaches must happen. UT AD Hart must bust down the door and set the tempo. My suggestions for what there worth, not much. Lets go get some Tennessee pride back in town with the likes of Trooper Taylor and John Chavis. Two guys with great intensity and integrity. Lets send Rodney Garner a nice can't refuse offer so he can start cherry picking the state of Ga. like he used to. How bout we think outside the box and bring Gus Malzahn in to shake up our offensive play calling. To cap it off lets get a head coach that understands how to win and demands discipline from his players. I know all this seems unobtainable but if you don't try you'll never know Dave Hart! This is Tennessee Football, something that no one on your staff understands other than Jay Grahm. Someone has to take accountability and steer this ship away from another iceberg! GBO

rootin4volz writes:

Pat Ryan said Dooley "threw Bray under the bus" on the radio earlier tonight. I think not...it IS time to "man up," Tyler. Stop acting like a little kid when things don't go your way, and figure out a way to overcome adversity in the moment, and not next season.

guitarch882000#661629 writes:

The same fans that said "Fire Majors".......then said "Fire Fulmer"......then said "Dont hire Kiffin"........then said "We love Kiffin".....then said "Glad your gone Kiffin".....then said "give Dooley a chance...it's a mess...no stability here".......then said "Fire Dooley".............................Maybe decisions here should not be made by fans who are fueled by an overblown local sports media.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Amen, Ooltewahorange. you nailed it.

RodneyHopper writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

What are you dooley fab club leader?get real!he would win only 6 games with most teams!have u seen our recruiting class this year its not going to cut it!Dooley seems like a good guy just a real bad coach.plain and simple.

Scoon writes:

"Hopefully, Smokey ducked."

I think I saw ole Smokey running with what looked to be something like egg on his face. His face hair was glutened straight up in spikes .. yellow spikes. And, the KY WildCat was right behind him with same stuff on his face.

Poor furry ones...

ooltewahorange writes:

in response to guitarch882000#661629:

Has everything in your life stayed the same. Same house, same car, same job, same wife, heck no things change and you adapt or you change for the better. This is a perfect example of life that is for the world to see and judge. You can't always get what you want but lets get what we need! A new coaching staff!

luke255#536431 writes:

Honestly guys what did we expect when Hamilton hired a coach coming off a 4-8 record at LA Tech and going to coach in the toughest league in the country!!! I wanted him fired the day he took the job, each year hoping to be proven wrong. He has never won a game against a top 25 team, WOW how is this possible.
Look at what Charlie Strong or Mullen have done at lower programs. Granted he has some great recruits but look at what Muschamp is doing at Florida his 2nd year! We have had 2 top 10 and 1 top 15 recruiting classes under Dooley, are we a top 15 team? Look I'm a realist and realize we are not going to win every game. But great coaches suck every ounce of talent and effort from their players and win one or two they are not supposed to or at the very least play 4 quarters to the final whistle! Dooley must go for our program to get back to an elite level. We are in the exact position Alabama was in when Saban took over and within 3 year he won a National Championship. I went to every game during the 8 year streak beating Alabama am waiting for the day once again I can proudly yell "It's great to be a Tennessee Vol" from the stands at Bryant-Denny stadium once again!

DavidB writes:

I like that some of the players believe they can win. That's how they are supposed to feel, now they just need to go out and do it.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

STV if I have ever in my life seen a coach "maning up and leading by example" it has been Derek Dooley these last two weeks after his major surgery for a broken hip. Your statement holds no water. I am not a rabid Dooley Supporter. I support the players and whoever their coaches are. I am a Volunteer supporter who looks at ALL the stats and data I have time for. And I do read articles from lots of sources, (too many if you ask my family), and I will say this, I believe Dooley is the man to get the Vols out of the dumpster fire he took over. And I have always said getting the right mix of assistant coaches and recruits will take about four or five years; so I keep my Doolaide on hand. I said at the beginning of this season, considering that underclassman roster of the last two years, the light to medium team depth at the start of the year vs/ the top tier teams in the SEC East and West (which even with say a 10 win season, winning the SEC East and good recruiting this year, could only have been at a light to medium depth next year also), the schedule against ranked teams, that 7-5 would be good enough (8-4 would be gravy). I still hope for the 7-5. However, by golly, I have played some football myself and I do know that there absolutely are times when it is the players do indeed have to 'man up' and take the responsiblity for their own performance, and not always let the fans lay it on the coaches. Yes, I am one who will blame players for being a prima donna and being uncoachable, or poisoning the team spirit during practice or on the sideline during games. or wanting to depend on their inate skills that made them high school stars, regardless of which 'magikal, world class, champeenship, winning, top level, billion dollar coach' you care to name is at the head coaching job. It ain't high school anymore! It's time some of them, especially on defense, and a few on offense, started studying their playbooks and watching film and paying attention to what they absolutely have been coached to do, and doing it. Yes indeed I can and will blame players for not producing when we ALL know good and well that they have been taught fundamental tackling techniques since their Dad coached them in Pee Wee league! They absolutely HAVE been coached their slots and gaps and shifts and routes and coverage for the various offenses or defenses they will see. They have to perform the techniques they have been coached to get off blocks and pressure the QB. This ain't their first rodeo! They are coaching the right techniques. The team needs to take a long hard look at themselves and determine what they are going to be. Not for me, or you, or any fan, or even the coaches ... it's for themselves. We've seen many flashes of brilliance offensively and defensively this season. We truly have and they show a lot of promise. They can, and I truly hope will, live up to their own promise.

pcorange writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

Talk is cheap....

Amen. We've heard the wind blow before.

tvol71 writes:

During his two games last year and in the last few games of the year before, Hunter was nearly un-coverable, and caught anything close to him. This year he is not getting open very often and has dropped a number passes he should have caught. I am not sure what happened, but I don't see him as a first round draft choice now. I hope he can get himself together.

mike4vol writes:

Is Obama coaching now? We're over three years into the term, things are worse than ever, and it's everybody else's fault.

Next thing we know, Dooley will be bowing down to all the other coaches!

Take the blame coach, that after three years, with a top-tier program, you have managed to run it in the ground.

It's time for a new coach--one with a positive record, a recognizable name (immediate help in recruiting), a plan, and and expertise in producing winning teams.

tvol71 writes:

Lets assess Dooley's record. This year, they have lost to 4 teams who have 1 loss between them, and are ranked #13 or higher. Clearly the defense is learning a new system, is not good this year. On offense, they are better overall, and if you don't believe the running game is much better, you have not been watching. Bray needs to learn to not get flustered and hurried at the end of a close game. If they finish the regular season with a winning record, he should have another year, 6-6 is a toss up, and with a losing record considering the last 4 teams they play, he needs to go. I just hate that we will pay him $4 Mil for doing nothing if he goes.

guitarch882000#661629 writes:

The Muschamp quick results argument isn't strong. Muschamp was the beneficiary of some of the best recruiting classes in the country.......With Tennessee fans always wanting to fire their coaches.....it's no wonder Tennessee can no longer recruit on a high level......What top player would ever want to go to a school with a revolving door of coaches?...

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

And how many times have we heard it before?

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

Talk is cheap....

Suit up, child.

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Exactly.

I'll judge Dooley on his merits here when he doesn't have his hands tied by the university's self-imposed bans on recruiting.

I can't run a man down when the fight he's in is one in which one of his hands is tied behind his back.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Off topic, for which I apologize, but can anyone tell me if the fans in the Bama section were booing loudly when Fulmer was introduced pregame? It sounded to me like the ones in the section GG, HH, II, JJ area were booing, but it was so loud where I was that I was having trouble telling for certain.

eduardo writes:

I guess the fans are next for this moron!!!!!

Orangeblood64 writes:

The bottom line is a team takes on the personality of it's coach. We need one with a pair. look at Joe Pa. even at his size and age at the end he didn't take any phooey. Even the quiet coaches you can tell by there players when they screw up they avoid him at all cost. I am a true vol win or lose but we have screwed up. We let Cutcliff get away along with Chavis and look at what there doing. The time for bargain shopping is over. Hart need to circle the wagon and dig deep and bring a coach with a fire and passion for the game. that lives and breaths it. I so wish we could see Gruden on the side line. Win or lose it would be interesting.

DukeDeLuca2 writes:

Chasing Dooley off is one of the goofiest notions I've heard. He's a builder and he's doing a heckuva job improving this football team every year. He's going to build a legendary football program somewhere. It might as well be at UT.

Orangeblood64 writes:

in response to luke255#536431:

Amen Brother. I live in Alabama and proudly have my power T on the front of my truck and wear my vol hat everyday. But the last couple of years have been ugly. not even close. I tired of my inlaws tlking trash and can't wait to give it back to them but it seems along way off

pcshowtime writes:

The Die was cast this season with the switch to the 3-4 defense. even the dooley supporters agree that it is a difficult process and you practically give a year away on defense in the process.

I personally do not believe it is a good move for any college team. GA is back to getting gashed in their 3rd year in 3-4 system. Kids are familiar with the 4-3 defense from High School. Bottom line if your name is not Saban do not try it.

Back to the Die being cast on the season. More than likely our defense under a competent 4-3 coordinator would have stayed in the top 25. We could have come into the bama game 6-0. Would we have beat bama no. We would be 6-1 and in the drivers seat in the east. The offense would have more confidence and also be playing better.

But the decision was made and it is really not fair to the players who struggled through the last 2 seasons and were poised to finally be competitive in the SEC. Only to have a coach change rafts mid stream. I said it at the beginning of the year and I stand by it today the 3-4 disaster is the most stupid career move of Dooley time at Tennessee and will cost him his job.

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

I'd say it's pretty damn realistic.

What's your excuse ScreenName#4?

BillDavis writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

Fire Dooley? Yes. Hire Strong? No. In 3 seasons Strong has only one more win than Dooley vs ranked teams, and that team was #24. Joke conference. Not a proven head coach.

Jszvols writes:

in response to Scoon:

"Hopefully, Smokey ducked."

Poor furry ones...

oh phooey thats funny i dont care who u r

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

We just played a 3-4 defense that has matured. Ala dag naBIT BY BAMA! The No. ONE best defense in America. The 4-3 will never allow the defensive options and sets having 3 mountains on the line and 4 LBs does. The evidence is overwhelming. What is fair is giving this HC the time to get the correct staff to install his program and recruit to fill the positions that scheme requires. Physical characteristics of Linemen and Linebackers for the 3-4 are not the same as for the 4-3. specifically, the linemen are like McCullers, large and fast. What does McCullers have to say? The LBs have to be smart and big and fast and you have to recruit to the program. I know, "If Dooley wanted a 3-4 why'd he wait til third year?" Answer-players available .. size, experience, and DC. It takes time to get where Bama is. Have patience. And do not say Dooley can't coach! The offense broke the all time scoring records through the first five games by any Tennessee team, any time, under any coach. Have patience, get behind them. Give these players your support instead of your derision.

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Honestly, I don't expect this football to win 7 games again until 3 more years. It'll take that long to allow Dooley to ramp up with his peers as far as recruiting goes.

I think Dooley is doing as well as could be expected given the circumstances. I don't envy the man, nor Hart. It's going to take awhile to fix this mess.

The NCAA, SEC, and the university will continue to sanction this program until August 23, 2013. Dooley will have at least two more recruiting cycles to contend with in just getting guys to suit up for the school.

Then, Dooley will finally get to do what he hasn't been able to do: recruit on the same level as the rest of the SEC. I'll give him 3 more years to be able to rebuild this program correctly.

I hate watching this team struggle as much as the next man/woman, but I'd be more concerned if Dooley was wildly successful given the way the NCAA and SEC is watching this university right now.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

This team is a real headcase right now. And if Coach Dooley's comments do not send the Volunteers into full-blown "rehab", I don't know what will. In the space of a few on-air minutes, Dooley publicly trashed his quarterback, complained about his team, laid a mild rebuke on his coaching staff, and reserved the least amount of criticism for himself. He sounds like a desperate coach feeling a lot of heat. But instead of talking about preparing for South Carolina and salvaging the rest of the season, he instead chose to blame others, primarily the players, for a disappointing season so far. I've been a big Dooley supporter, hoping that he could at least stabilize the program so that it would improve with time. Now, unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that the program is more unstable than before. Don't get me wrong, I still hope the Vols can run the table. But after this, I'm wondering if the players feel like they have the backing of their head coach.

oldster writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

Talk is cheap....

Some people just kill me. What do expect from a news conference, a scrimmage? Of course you are going to get talk. That is how it goes. Someone asks a question, and the coach answers. Dooley, unlike many coaches, is pretty darn candid.

oldster writes:

in response to jschariter#367312:

If you do not think that Steve Kiner was one great footbal player, then you are either completely ignorant of what being a football player takes, or have standards that are so high that there is no one meeting them. Steve made an unfortunate comment. He is not the first 20 year old to do so, and certainly not the last (e.g. the Mizzou lineman who said the SEC was "old man football.")

tedstryker1980 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Are you saying that Dooley is a great recruiter? His current recruiting class is ranked 9th in the SEC behind Vanderbilt and one spot above Ole Miss. That is not going to get us back to the top or even middle of the SEC. Perhaps he did a good job recruiting talent that could compete in conference USA while at La Tech... these results are not going to make Tennessee relevant in the SEC however... especially with our current coaching. I am trying to be fair... but this is how I honestly see it.

TooDlems writes:

in response to ooltewahorange:

You can get Trooper Taylor when you get ready, he's done at the Barn. He and another coach have their locker room divided. He's a cancer.

oldster writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

When coaches are desperate, they blame the players most of the time.

I played a little football. I played for 4 head coaches during that time. They never won nor lost a single game in which I was involved. We, the players, won it or lost it. Had we played exactly as we were instucted by even the worst of those 4, we would never have lost. The same is true with the Vols. The problem is that with the Vols, the coach chose the players who either have weak characters or are football stupid, or both.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

People who only look at the W-L column in a rebuilding period are unreasonable. There are so many factors to consider, offensively, defensively, special teams, coordinators, the coordinators assistants, recruiting, team depth, player leadership, off field decision making, VFL issues, and on and on. To bring a team up out of oblivion to challenging for the national championship is a long process. Thinking that a substantially freshman team the last two years would do much better than they have is unreasonable. Howling for the coaches job is much more than unreasonable.

oldster writes:

Just to refresh some memories. Johnny Majors took several years to correct the mess that Bill Battle left. A mess, I hasten to add (and I am one of the foremost haters of Bill Battle as a coach), was not nearly as bad as that Dooley inherited. Further, for several of those first years there were no limits on the number of recruits one could bring in. And, at least as important, there was no Saban (althougn an aging Bear), no Spurrier, no Richt (whoops, but there was a Dooley), no mad hatter, etc. (i.e. the coaching competition in the SEC not what it is now).Here is Majors' record: 1977:,4–7, 1-5 in SEC, good for 8th

1978:5–5–1, 3-3 in the SEC, T-4th

1979:7–5, 3-3 in the SEC,T–5th,
L Bluebonnet

1980:5–6,3–3,6th

1981:8–4,3–3,T–4th
W Garden State

1982:6–5–1,3–2–1,5th
L Peach

1983:9–3,4–2,T–3rd
W Citrus

Why so much patience with Majors, but not with Dooley?

tedstryker1980 writes:

in response to oldster:

1978:5–5–1, 3-3 in the SEC, T-4th

1979:7–5, 3-3 in the SEC,T–5th,
L Bluebonnet

1980:5–6,3–3,6th

1981:8–4,3–3,T–4th
W Garden State

1982:6–5–1,3–2–1,5th
L Peach

1983:9–3,4–2,T–3rd
W Citrus

Why so much patience with Majors, but not with Dooley?

Here is the big difference to me... after three yrs Majors was 9-9 (.500) in the SEC. After 2.5 yrs Dooley is 4-16 (.200) in the SEC. Majors won one of every two SEC games... Dooley has won one of every five SEC games. That is a HUGE difference.

tedstryker1980 writes:

in response to oldster:

1978:5–5–1, 3-3 in the SEC, T-4th

1979:7–5, 3-3 in the SEC,T–5th,
L Bluebonnet

1980:5–6,3–3,6th

1981:8–4,3–3,T–4th
W Garden State

1982:6–5–1,3–2–1,5th
L Peach

1983:9–3,4–2,T–3rd
W Citrus

Why so much patience with Majors, but not with Dooley?

Okay... my bad.

I did not see 77' at the top... totally my fault.

Majors was was 7-11 (.389) and Dooley is 4-16 (.200) ... still a big difference but not as bad... You make a decent point.

LIBDESTROYER writes:

in response to mike4vol:

Next thing we know, Dooley will be bowing down to all the other coaches!

"Next thing we know, Dooley will be bowing down to all the other coaches!" Now that's funny right there.

Madkels writes:

in response to guitarch882000#661629:

Florida wasn't even mentioned at the start of the season as a SEC championship contender. But now they look like the only team that has a chance to give Bama a run. Yes Muschamp inherited a good group, and Dooley has recruited pretty well too. The difference is "coaching".

After almost three seasons, it is very clear he is in over his head. Nice guy, poor head coach. Time to find the "right guy". Question is, can UT afford another buyout, or will we suffer a year or two to ease the financial pain?