Jannah Tucker drops Lady Vols, reopens recruitment

Tennessee suddenly is back to square one in gathering a women's basketball recruiting class.

Guard Jannah Tucker, who verbally committed to the Lady Vols in June, has reopened her recruitment. The news was reported via Twitter on Tuesday morning by Kevin Lynch, a talent evaluator for the Blue Star Report. Tucker's father, Robert, couldn't be reached for comment. To date, Tucker was Tennessee's lone commitment for its 2013 signing class.

The 6-foot guard from Randallstown, Md., who's ranked No. 8 in the class by ESPN HoopGurlz, averaged nearly 30 points per game last season for New Town High School.

Tucker won gold medals with USA Basketball teams the past two summers. She suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee in August, while playing in the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Gurabo, Puerto Rico.

Tennessee still is recruiting four guards. It's not known whether that was a factor in Tucker's decision.

One of the recruits is Kaela Davis, a 6-2 guard from Buford (Ga.) High, who is ranked No. 2 in the class. She committed to Tennessee in 2010 but her recruitment was reopened in February. At the time, Davis' mother, Kendra, expressed concern over the coaching future of then-coach Pat Summitt and the impact it was having on recruiting.

First-year coach Holly Warlick and her staff visited Davis at least once this fall and she made an official visit last weekend.

Guard Linnae Harper, the No. 5 ranked player in the class, has finished her visits and her mother said via Twitter on Tuesday that Harper will make a decision soon. She visited UT earlier this month.

Meanwhile, forward Emmonnie Henderson, who visited last weekend, said via her Twitter account that her choice is between UT and Louisville.

Mercedes Russell, a 6-5 center from Springfield, Ore., and the top-ranked player in the class, has the same choice. She visited last weekend and Bill Wagner, Russell's high school coach, said that Russell hit it off with the Lady Vols players.

"She really connected with a lot of the girls,'' he said.

Russell and Henderson both visit Louisville this weekend.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Something is brewing....

FanNotSheep writes:

Really can't overstate the importance of this recruiting class for the future of the program. Lady Vols have fallen pretty far pretty fast, and the only way to turn it around is recruiting. Not sure this player makes or breaks the class but the class will go a long way in determining whether the internal coaching hand-off will be a success.

When Fulmer was fired the football program needed a smooth transition to remain competitive with the elite programs. Needless to say that didn't happen.

Geno is just as capable as Saban of distancing his program from the Lady Vols if the baton is dropped.

Pullingguard writes:

Thought Geno had already made that distance judging from results for last couple years. I think this staff at UT will be excellent and recruiting this year will not spell any negatives on the future, for they will get it done..

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Keep in mind that we are talking about 17 year old girls. Not speaking about anyone in particular but if they shy away from competition, I'm not sure they would thrive in our program anyway.

Theo writes:

Snow pea is right we are dealing with 17 year olds here so logic sometimes takes a back seat but it does seem odd that this decision was made on the heels of a big recruiting weekend that features the cream of the next class. Don't get me wrong Jannah is the cream too and I sincerely hope she changes her mind. Really odd though.

budd#207344 writes:

She may have thought that she was going to be the guard and when she found out that UT was looking at others she decided she didn't like that. Or maybe afraid of competition. Either way not the kind of player we want or need.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

Funny. Here I was thinking that UT would stick behind and have the back of the highly rated recruit with the broken stick (ACL tear this year) and our loyalty would pay off down the road. Go figure she dropped us instead of us bailing on her. Honestly we need more sharp shooters from outside to go with our penetrators so I'm glad she decommitted and she can go find a place where she go be her best as she sees it.

My feeling is that she would have been redshirted to help heal from the ACL repair and she probably didn't like that option. Just a gut feeling. Yeah I know she has all of this year to heal and most of next before coming into camp but as you well know, basketball doesn't do any favors on the joints with those hard wood floors so I suspect the UT staff knew she would be a project they could know rush back onto the floor without tendinitis being a chronic issue.

SummittsCourt writes:

I remember the days when recruiting girls was much easier than their male counterparts. Now it seems, the girls are following in the footsteps of the boys. We'll see.

VOLsince68 writes:

Sounds to me like she may have gotten wind of something brewing as the first poster stated. Maybe this means we have some good news coming. Let's hope this is the case.

voloffaith writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Yes the buffet of schools is full of so many items that the 5-10 schools before has exploded. Think saw still recuiting 4 guards and saw writing on the wall that she wasn't in the equation for immediate playing time most likely to healing from injury. Best wishes to landing somewhere that you are comfortable with. Don't shy away from competition.....the challenge should make you stronger....in the meantime we wait the decisions of these players we need to fill the gaps.....

"Oh Lord won't you" SIGN "me a Mercedes" FOR FRIENDS. THE OPPOSITION ALL HAVE CENTERS WE MUST MAKE AMENDS......

BigRMan writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Love the last two lines: Janis Joplin would be proud! (lol)

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

We need Russell bottom line! She is as mobile at 6'5 as Candace Parker. She has a big body that can bang inside like Kelly Cain. I believe Kaela Davis we be a lady Vol. I just don't see her going anywhere else. She's close to home, brothers there, favorite school, everything points to TN. But hey wat do I know?I think everyone agrees that this has to be a top 3 class for the lady Vols to compete with the elite. There's better coaching, better players the only way to stay on top now is to recruit top notch players.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

We need Russell bottom line! She is as mobile at 6'5 as Candace Parker. She has a big body that can bang inside like Kelly Cain. I believe Kaela Davis we be a lady Vol. I just don't see her going anywhere else. She's close to home, brothers there, favorite school, everything points to TN. But hey wat do I know?I think everyone agrees that this has to be a top 3 class for the lady Volsto compete with the elite. There's better coaching, better players the only way to stay on top now is to recruit top notch players.

HanQ7 writes:

I must say I am utterly confused. I have been reading a few blogs on Tucker's de-committment. I read one where it talked about how Morgan Tuck of UCONN took her under her wing when she tore her ACL and that UCONN may be recruiting her or something. Regardless, what are we doing?! I find it strange that this young lady would rescind her pledge to the LV program after they stood by her during her injury. Something just is not right. I can't wait to see what happens after this weekend when Russell and Henderson take the visit to Louisville. I think Russell, Davis, Cooper, Scaife, Reynolds, and Henderson will sign.... don't think Harper will come. But we shall see how this pans out. Its more to follow with this sudden departure.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Taking bets. I have Russell, Davis, Scaife, and Harper as a Vol!

KennyGVolsFan writes:

I wouldn't bet my life on it.... How crazy is it that just a few months ago Jannah committed and now she has changed her mind?!?!?!?

I hope MAXVOLFAN#217855 is right!!! That would be an awesome starting lineup for any D1 school!!!

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!

Maybe the pending lawsuits have something to do with it??

What happend to honesty and integrity??? When you committ you should stay... I just don't understand what can make a player change their mind so quickly.... Unless they have been offered to play for a UCONN (ALTHOUGH I HATE UCONN!!!!)

voloffaith writes:

in response to KennyGVolsFan:

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!

Maybe the pending lawsuits have something to do with it??

Read the article AGAIN.....Father got bad info...overreacted.....said his bad and UT staff had nothing to do with it....said trying to repair HIS mistake and Jannah is fine with Lady Vols....so my thinking 4 guards still being recruited may be amiss also.... lets' move on and hope the Mercedes gets parked in Orange & White paint at Thompson Boling Arena with some 'starry' friends along for the ride...what u say?

voloffaith writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Taking bets. I have Russell, Davis, Scaife, and Harper as a Vol!

Remember take them to good ole pROFESSIONAL hANDICAPPEDER and he'll set you right up......Don't bank on it........