Cuonzo Martin: Jeronne Maymon will start season on sideline

Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon (34) warms up with teammates prior to the game against Ole Miss during the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament at the New Orleans Arena in New Orleans, La., Friday, March 9, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Cuonzo Martin delivered some wince-worthy words for Tennessee basketball prior to today's practice.

"Jeronne (Maymon) had a minor setback so we probably won't have him at the start of the season," Martin said.

Maymon, a preseason All-SEC second team selection on Monday, is the Vols' leading returning scorer and rebounder. The senior underwent microscopic knee surgery following last season and briefly played in two of Tennessee's four games during an offseason overseas trip to Italy.

Through preseason practices, though, Maymon has remained firmly on the sideline. He has participated in stretching and light conditioning drills, but not seen any action on the floor.

On Monday, Maymon was one of six players named to the All-SEC preseason second team. He landed on the second team after last season, when he averaged a team-high 12.7 ppg and 8.1 rpg.

"You're not talking about a guy that doesn't play," Martin said. "You're talking about a major factor in your program."

Despite being one of five seniors on the UT roster, Maymon is considered the Vols' vocal leader. The 6-foot-7, 260-pound forward started 32 of UT's 34 games and scored at least 12 points in every regular-season SEC game.

"When you have that type of mental leadership, mental toughness, and obviously the skill level speaks for itself, that type of leader doesn't come by day to day," Martin said.

Martin added that Maymon is "obviously not lost for the season," but offered no timetable for his return. Asked if he was in shape otherwise, Martin responded, "I don't think he's at the level where he could play a game right now."

More Injuries: Dwight Miller, who hyper-extended his right knee in March and underwent surgery, is slowly trying to work his way back.

“He’s moving a lot better, but he hasn’t been in practice situations, outside of five or 10 minutes worth of ball-handling drills,” Martin said.

At basketball media day two weeks ago, Miller said his knee was “coming along day-to-day” and “definitely a lot better than it was in August.”

Amid ongoing rehabilitation, Miller said he’s solely worried about strengthening the knee and mentioned he’d “hopefully be ready in November.”

“I’d like to be back for the season.”

Miller is in a tough spot. The fifth-year senior hopes to wiggle himself into a deep frontcourt rotation featuring Maymon and Jarnell Stokes, a pair of preseason All-SEC selections, along with veteran forward Kenny Hall and ever-improving sophomore Yemi Makanjuola.

Time spent on the sideline doesn’t help.

“It’s something I think about,” he said. “Those guys are those guys, but at the same time I want to contribute and I’ll do everything I can to be one of those guys. … I’m starting from the back of the heap.”

If his role in 2012-13 ultimately comes down to being an upperclassman leader off the court, Miller said he’ll embrace it. Despite the disappointment.

Closed-Door Scrimmage: The season is officially around the corner. Tennessee, picked to finish fourth in Monday’s SEC preseason media poll, hits the floor Sunday.

The Vols will face Georgia Tech in a closed-door preseason scrimmage at Chattanooga’s McKenzie Arena. Only team personnel and three referees will be permitted inside.

Georgia Tech went 11-20 in Brian Gregory’s first year as coach last season.

The teams agreed to scrimmage in Chattanooga so that each could treat it as a road game. UTC falls directly between the schools’ campuses in Knoxville and Atlanta.

The game’s officials will be from the SEC.

The NCAA allows teams to play either two closed-door scrimmages against other Division I programs, two exhibitions against non-DI teams that are open to fans and media or a combination of the two.

The Vols will play host to Victory University of Memphis in an open exhibition on Nov. 5 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

lomas98 writes:

That sucks. Stokes is a very good player and Maymon in there with him makes him great. Stokes will now see more double teams and will need to pass out of it early to open guys. Hopefully Kenny Hall steps up and stays out of trouble. With really no time table for a return it appears possibly most of the pre conference season???

kingofthevols writes:

Redshirt him. If we don't sign Nichols or Anya, we may need him more next year anyway.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

This would be a huge loss for any team but especially for Tennessee!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Bark_at_the_Moon:

This would be a huge loss for any team but especially for Tennessee!

Yea especially Tennessee. WTF does that mean? Does that mean that other programs will not be effected by losing an All Conference player? Tenn is picked 4th in the SEC. 3 Final Four contenders are ahead of them. The defending National Champion. If UT was picked 14th and lost an All Conference player than your comment would make sense. Maymon is a good not great player. There are only a few great players on any level. Stokes may end up great. Few other schools have a great player and most do not have two on an All Conference team. Some of you fans need to get out of East Tennessee more.

underthehill writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

the problem of East Tn fans is not getting out of E T..the problem is the outsiders who come to visit..see what a wonderful place it is to live..and won't go home..are u one of em...oops..shouldn't have asked that question..all I had to do is read your comment..you ain't from TN..

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to underthehill:

Pay no attention to PhilNotVolFan.
It knows not of what it speaks.
It just uses every chance it gets to attack UT and/or the fanbase.

Ironcity writes:

I think you could see this coming after two off season knee surgeries. I would not count on an effective Maymon all year. Hopefully I am wrong. I guess the good news is we do have some bigs that look promising. A little more height might make us a better defensive team (I may be grasping here) and while he is out we can develop depth while we wait for his return.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

this coming from a Florida homer
Maymon means the world to Tennessee, that is what the statement said. Sorry, take your Florida blinders off

ArmyDad writes:

in response to kingofthevols:

Maymon has already used his redshirt year when he transferred in from Marquette.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to lomas98:

No doubt, Maymon is a beast. I hope he can play by the time Memphis rolls into town..GBO!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I hope he gets back soon. But not at the chance of re-injury before the heart of conference. Or any time for that matter.

I can see Martin taking this as an opportunity to build his back-ups i.e. Miller and Yemi. Hall and Stokes may see some time together on the court? Still a very strong rebounding situation for us. I suspect Miller can add some to this but we really haven't had opps. to see him much. Miller had a pesky injury too last year if I recall? Maymon's sitting out will hurt our depth though maybe not as much as it did last year when he was playing injured.

Go team go Vols. Hurry and heal there Maymon.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Pay no attention to the impersonator.......Volszfan.

Just a roach on GVX........surely, a troll.

Take your pick...........

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I wonder what Rob Murphy can do as a senior? Seriously. His high school teams were pretty good from what UTsports said. He's 6'8". A few minutes here a few minutes there. Maybe he can be a bruiser. go in and execute the needed fouls.lol
No offense there Rob 'cause I really know nothing about you except your worst day playing has to be better than my best.hehe seriously. I was really good against slow short and mostly blind people.
Golly if any of this sounds like I'm giving Rob Murphy a hard time that's not my intention and if he's offended I hope he gets in a game and makes me sound as stupid as I do sometimes.

Go Vols

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Pay no attention to the impersonator.......Volszfan.

Just a roach on GVX........surely, a troll.

Take your pick...........

Uhhh? You realize you're asking us to pick between a roach and a troll. I'd step on a roach but that's messy. I don't want to mess with any carnivorous under bridge dwellers. Even the orange color ones.

Therefore I will decline your offer.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Therefore I will decline your offer.

I uhhh just re-read this and it sounds like I was calling you a troll. well I wasn't. If you are? well I just didn't know it. I was just making fun of volzfan's attempt. I don't seem to be writing very clearly tonight so I'll just quit.lmao

C'mon somebody post some stuff 'sides me!!! this is important about Maymon and all!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Amen and pass another slice of humble pie!!!

John_10065 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

He has the capability to own the low post on any given night. He would get major time on any squad in the nation the way he played last year.

You know it, we know it, now STFU.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Maymon plays like a monster, but he desperately needs to develop an outside game to compliment his inside play (much like Dale Ellis did) or he's got no shot at the NBA..Here's to a speedy recovery and a great year in round ball..GBO!!

kazoo writes:

So here's a story about a Maymon injury--but no a word on what exactly the problem is! I assume the knee is still an issue, but the writer doesn't say? Is it bad? Not so bad? Any timetable? How about some real information?

That aside, if Maymon can't play the Vols are in trouble.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to kazoo:

That aside, if Maymon can't play the Vols are in trouble.

Partially true, because we only have Stokes as a true Freshman to compare stats with. I believe Stokes will be the most improved big man in the SEC this season. His upside seems to be higher than that of Maymon because he can take a pounding down low. McRae will have a monster year and Golden finally nails down the point this season..GBO!!

volfan2002 writes:

Hopefully Kenny Hall and Yemi can step up until he can return. I hope he is not out very long he makes things happen.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Is a reply to your own comment like talking to ones self in the mirror?

brod writes:

wish i could sneak in to watch the scrimmage.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Is a reply to your own comment like talking to ones self in the mirror?

wha? You don't talk to yourself in the mirror?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to brod:

wish i could sneak in to watch the scrimmage.

I've been watching re-runs of "Alias". Now Jennifer G. and team could sneak in anywhere anytime. She probably gets in at all the clubs she wants too...even with the kids in tow.

eruhhh Go VOLS!

in response to kingofthevols:

That thought occurred to me as well. Does anybody know for sure if Maymon CAN take a redshirt year? If his condition is bad enough, I guess he could apply for a medical redshirt. Anyway you look at it, as the late, lamented TV character Chester A. Riley used to say, "Well, this certainly is a revoltin' development!" Hall and Makanjuola sure better lace up their sneakers tight and be ready to kick some butt!

Upon rereading the article, I noticed it said that Maymon had had "microscopic knee surgery" back in the spring. That caused me to remember hearing about a rather risky form of surgery called "microfracture surgery" and I wondered if Quinn or someone had confused the terms.

I'm no orthopedic surgeon, but I understand the latter procedure involved actually breaking the knee to create "microfractures" that would eventually be filled in by cartilege, hopefully resulting in an overall stronger knee. (Any ACTUAL orthopedists out there, PLEASE feel free to correct me.) The downside is that it is considered something of a last resort, and lasting cures to the point of being able to play effectively again were not really all that common.

I SERIOUSLY hope that NOT is the case, or we may well have seen the last of Jeronne as a star-quality player, and THAT would be nothing but a dirty, rotten shame. Now that I've bummed everybody out, I will leave now while I go away to cry a little myself.

On the previous subject, I can recall only two, though I'm sure there are many more, who have had microfracture surgery. One of whom was Penny Hardaway who, as far as I know has not played since. The other, more inspiring, story is that of Grant Hill, who had it about three years ago. I think he missed a whole year in recovery, but he played last year--even signed a long-term contract--at about same level he has played for the last, what?, 40 or 50 years? Maybe it just SEEMS like he has played that long(;-P)! So at least we can retain a modicum of hope to see a healthy Maymon at UT again, though I'm not sure that is the way I would bet, based on the info I have now.